Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Sep 2011, 12:44 (Ref:2953126)   #1
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Legacy F1 Drivers - something to offer in their 40s?

Do you think recently retired, or about to retire F1 drivers are a good catch for growing teams ?

People like Coulthard/Truli/Rubens/Schumacher (just examples)

Mercedes obvsiouly believe Schumacher has something to offer in terms of race ability/marketing/development

Same for Williams - although less on the marketing if the rumours are to be believed.

they may have lost a 10th (or may not) but in terms of development and building a team they seem quite invaluable for the up and comings, such as Virgin, Lotus, Sauber, Force India etc......

I see a lot of these teams with two younger drivers with no / little F1 experience, even people like Sutil who have been in F1 for a good few years now, have never had an experienced hand to pick up the good habits from, see how they behave etc.

Are these teams missing out ?(I know money counts for a lot)
Old 9 Sep 2011, 22:51 (Ref:2953367)   #2
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In my opinion a team should be good enough with good people in the correct positions so that it doesn't matter who they have driving for them. It shouldn't be left to the driver to build the team up.

The driver really just needs a great technical understanding to assist in setting the car up. If they do need someone experienced, then maybe the rest of the team isn't good enough?
Old 9 Sep 2011, 23:58 (Ref:2953375)   #3
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
In my opinion a team should be good enough with good people in the correct positions so that it doesn't matter who they have driving for them. It shouldn't be left to the driver to build the team up.

The driver really just needs a great technical understanding to assist in setting the car up. If they do need someone experienced, then maybe the rest of the team isn't good enough?
This is the Williams philosophy - which has worked well has it not?

Pay drivers it is then.

For my own 10c worth, I think that having a good driver is vital to a team's success - Williams and Toyota spring to mind.

Coulthard did a massive amount of work at RBR.
Schumacher at Ferrari.
Hill at Williams testing and driving.
Lauda at Ferrari.
Scheckter at Ferrari.
Scheckter at Wolf
Fittipaldi at McLaren.
Andretti at Lotus.
Stewart at Tyrrel.

Last edited by wnut; 10 Sep 2011 at 00:09.
Old 10 Sep 2011, 08:20 (Ref:2953423)   #4
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
This is the Williams philosophy - which has worked well has it not?

Pay drivers it is then.

For my own 10c worth, I think that having a good driver is vital to a team's success - Williams and Toyota spring to mind.

Coulthard did a massive amount of work at RBR.
Schumacher at Ferrari.
Hill at Williams testing and driving.
Lauda at Ferrari.
Scheckter at Ferrari.
Scheckter at Wolf
Fittipaldi at McLaren.
Andretti at Lotus.
Stewart at Tyrrel.
All true, but these days life is very different isn't it?

Technology has moved on massively in design terms and testing is seriously limited.

What you need now is not only a fast driver on the track but someone comfortable with simulators, a driver that can react on a simulator JUST as he would on the track and who believes in the technology. That's what will help the engineers today and that's what will make a difference.

Add to that the fact you have to pay the older drivers for their past (often rare) glories, whereas a young driver may well enjoy substancial backing and I think I know which way I would go.
Old 11 Sep 2011, 13:07 (Ref:2953883)   #5
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They offer defensive driving: the Trulli Train, the Schumacher Snake, etc.
Old 12 Sep 2011, 21:55 (Ref:2954721)   #6
3point0v8
Rookie

3point0v8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
the fact you have to pay the older drivers for their past (often rare) glories, whereas a young driver may well enjoy substancial backing and I think I know which way I would go.
I think this is what it's all about - pay drivers.

And even the bigger teams would take a hit if younger drivers weren't being given a chance in the lower teams - that bit harder to spot new talent.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 05:29 (Ref:2955248)   #7
valet_dave
Rookie

Australia
valet_dave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely once you reach your 40's, it's time to give someone else a chance, rather than continue to nurture an ego or an over flowing bank balance.

Maybe they can set up a retirement village for F1 drivers where they can mentor new blood, or relax in an armchair and provide a commentary on how much harder their racing days were before they were unfairly dismissed.
Old 14 Sep 2011, 08:05 (Ref:2955284)   #8
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by valet_dave View Post
Surely once you reach your 40's, it's time to give someone else a chance, rather than continue to nurture an ego or an over flowing bank balance.

Maybe they can set up a retirement village for F1 drivers where they can mentor new blood, or relax in an armchair and provide a commentary on how much harder their racing days were before they were unfairly dismissed.

Or they could continue to race and blow off a lot of never will be anythings with no talent and big bank balances!
Old 14 Sep 2011, 09:30 (Ref:2955327)   #9
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcym View Post
Do you think recently retired, or about to retire F1 drivers are a good catch for growing teams ?

People like Coulthard/Truli/Rubens/Schumacher (just examples)
Depends on the driver, doesn't it? Schumacher, whilst obviously not as quick as he used to be (especially when up against what is generally recognised as tougher competition than he faced 10 years ago), is presumably still very technically adept and good at giving feedback to his team, not to mention being hugely marketable. A Trulli type driver, on the other hand...well, I'm not really sure what he's offering Lotus. They seem to be happy to boot him out of the car when it suits them, so how valuable is he really?

I would like to see more young drivers given a shot, as it doesn't seem like there will be many openings for them next season. That's not to say that a driver should just be kicked out when he hits his late thirties and replaced with a 21-year-old with a fat wallet, but I would like to see teams take a bit more of a risk when it comes to their driver line-up. Lotus, for example, surely couldn't be hurt that badly if they got rid of Trulli and paired a quick young driver with Kovalainen, who surely has more than enough experience to offset whatever they lose with Trulli.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 15 Sep 2011, 07:33 (Ref:2955757)   #10
LotusF1
Rookie

United Kingdom
Half a mile from Rockingham Raceway.
LotusF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring back Mansell at RBR.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 10:44 (Ref:2955844)   #11
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusF1 View Post
Bring back Mansell at RBR.
In equal machinery he would outqualify more than half the grid.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 13:26 (Ref:2955941)   #12
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by valet_dave View Post

On the other hand, perhaps they like racing F1 cars, which is why they keep doing it. Racing is rather addictive. As shown by how many F1 drivers still compete in other areas.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 20:58 (Ref:2956101)   #13
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
No, but he would take up more than half the car.
Old 18 Sep 2011, 03:20 (Ref:2957449)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
If i owned a team and given the choice between a 42 year old Schumacher and a 23 year old Vettel i'd go for the Vettel option everytime.
Old 18 Sep 2011, 12:16 (Ref:2957601)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
If i owned a team and given the choice between a 42 year old Schumacher and a 23 year old Vettel i'd go for the Vettel option everytime.
As no doubt many others would. But there aren't too many 'Vettel's' out there at the moment.

Then you have to ask yourself: How well would Schumacher be going in a Red Bull? I have no doubts that has the Mercedes gets better, then so will Schumacher. And this seems to be the case, just lately.
Old 20 Sep 2011, 10:25 (Ref:2958419)   #16
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's no big deal to have a driver in his late 30s+. Historically, in motorsport, drivers have had their professional careers/success later in life than in other sports and there's a wider period of time to have a professional career than in other sports.

The choosing/preference of younger drivers has only occurred this past decade and is also a bit hit and miss. A trait I think is most valuable a driver can bring to a team is to be a leader within it (ideally a natural one, and not even a driving trait as well) and be able to pull the team/organisation up if needed.

What I mean by that is with their natural stengths and weaknesses, if they were transferred to a team/ball sport, Could this guy captain a team? Or would he even be one of the leaders of the team? Comparing Button and Hamilton if they were Quarterbacks for example, Hamilton would make a lot of big plays but make a lot dumb ones as well, Button wouldn't have the flair/courage of Hamilton, but at the same time he wouldn't stuff up the offense.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. A lot of the leading drivers from pre-'00s, even pre-mid'90s, come across to me as being a natural leader or have a lot of those qualities, regardless of their relative driving/racing strengths. Drivers from the past who have won the WDC or a race for the first time and debuts have been, typically, older than the common driver in the past decade, but drivers nowadays wouldn't be considered better and I think a leadership quality is something that is missing and only comes with age/experience (compare Vettel/Hamilton with pre-'00 champs).

Feel free to troll me if you have no idea what I'm talking about.

Last edited by JeremySmith; 21 Sep 2011 at 00:29. Reason: I could not read this...
Old 20 Sep 2011, 16:02 (Ref:2958593)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post

Then you have to ask yourself: How well would Schumacher be going in a Red Bull? I have no doubts that has the Mercedes gets better, then so will Schumacher. And this seems to be the case, just lately.
Maybe, but then the question that could be asked is, how much better would the Merc be going with Vettel/Button/Alonso in it?
Old 20 Sep 2011, 16:10 (Ref:2958597)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Maybe, but then the question that could be asked is, how much better would the Merc be going with Vettel/Button/Alonso in it?
The same thing is happening to Valentino Rossi in MotoGP as is happening to Michael Schumacher in F1. They are both suffering from a terminal lack of testing due to the new testing regulations in both series. Both are very good at getting the best out of what they have if they can finely tune it. But both are currently being beaten by lesser team mates using identical machinery, and neither the Ducati nor the Mercedes are likely to win a race.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 13:39 (Ref:2959074)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
But both are currently being beaten by lesser team mates using identical machinery, and neither the Ducati nor the Mercedes are likely to win a race.
I don't think that Nico is a lesser driver than Michael now.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 14:09 (Ref:2959087)   #20
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
He didn't manage too well against Hakkinen the last time he attempted a comeback, and he's now 58, not in his 40s.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 16:43 (Ref:2959152)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
I don't think that Nico is a lesser driver than Michael now.
I certainly think that Rosberg should not be underestimated. But at the same time I believe that Schumacher, given a few thousand kilometres of proper track testing, would blow the doors off anyone.
Old 21 Sep 2011, 20:02 (Ref:2959232)   #22
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I certainly think that Rosberg should not be underestimated. But at the same time I believe that Schumacher, given a few thousand kilometres of proper track testing, would blow the doors off anyone.
I think that is the problem. There isn't any way the old days of gratuitous testing are coming back. Pounding round and around to "fine tune" a setup in a real car is just not cost efficient and hardly fits with an image of an environmentally friendly sport.

Just as with fighter pilots, who also used to practice their art with real aeroplanes, simulation is key now. What I would want is a driver happy with the simulator, who believes in it (accepts the cues) and is able to progress development on the car with the technology. Not all drivers are happy in that environment but personally I expect you are less likely to get a "legacy" driver who can cope with this change than a relative newcomer who is used to it. Just a hunch.....
Old 22 Sep 2011, 00:31 (Ref:2959347)   #23
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
He didn't manage too well against Hakkinen the last time he attempted a comeback, and he's now 58, not in his 40s.
Hakkinen was destined to be a WDC, half the current grid, probably not WDC material.

The remark was tongue in cheek, however it referred to the back half of the grid and not the front half!

Karthikayan v Mansell in equal machinery?
Old 22 Sep 2011, 13:51 (Ref:2959565)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Michael has now had 20 odd races since his come back, testing can no longer be used as an excuse. And there is no way that he'd blow the doors off an Alonso/Vettel etc.

As Michael himself said, a 25 year old Schumacher was better than a 42 year old Schumacher
Old 23 Sep 2011, 08:22 (Ref:2959858)   #25
wnut
Veteran

Quote:

Currently I'd rate Schumacher behind Vettel and Alonso, but ahead of Button, I believe he would out qualify Button, and out race him.