Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Jan 2012, 00:40 (Ref:3019207)   #1
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VW to enter F-1?

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns23861.html

Old 31 Jan 2012, 00:53 (Ref:3019211)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Maybe. Many of their road cars are now using the downsized-turbo type of engines that seem to be becoming very popular at the moment, so perhaps it will help the marketing of the types of car that use those engines?

Whatever their going to do they'd better be quick, because some engine manufacturers already have 2014 engines that are ready to test.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 02:45 (Ref:3019228)   #3
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Belatti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh not this rumour! Not again!
Old 31 Jan 2012, 04:06 (Ref:3019242)   #4
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
These F1 VW rumours surge every few years usually on the back of some motorsport friendly VW appointee who's ambitions are then cut down by head shaking sportphobic boardroom execs.

That said, maybe Peugeot's departure from the WEC will trigger a domino effect. Get all that VW money to switch to an F1 campaign. Look at how much Audi has won in sportcars already, the law of diminishing returns is bound to kick in sometime.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 13:22 (Ref:3019377)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe one day, who knows...
Old 31 Jan 2012, 16:01 (Ref:3019423)   #6
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear View Post
i will only support this if it is McLaren-Skoda.

seriously though what brand would they use? AutoUnion would be cool but history might be a bit of a problem.

also here is the obligatory Joe Saward link.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 16:08 (Ref:3019427)   #7
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i will only support this if it is McLaren-Skoda.

seriously though what brand would they use? AutoUnion would be cool but history might be a bit of a problem.

also here is the obligatory Joe Saward link.
you are forgetting the obvious brand: Lamborghini
Old 31 Jan 2012, 16:17 (Ref:3019430)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
true true. Lambo, Audi or Porsche would all offer better and more well known branding options.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 16:32 (Ref:3019436)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
you are forgetting the obvious brand: Lamborghini
Or Porsche.

If I were also considering building my own chassis, then maybe that name would be worth using. But the current Lamborghini line up consists of V10 and V12 engined cars, and the engine technology to be used in 2014 is more relevant to cars like Audi, Seat, VW, and Skoda. So I think it would be more likely that VW would want to push along sales of its more mass produced cars, rather than its niche models, by using a name that most will recognise as a VAG product.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 16:37 (Ref:3019439)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
true true. Lambo, Audi or Porsche would all offer better and more well known branding options.
Why not Skoda?

It is a rapidly growing brand and the performance models already have something of a cult status, ideal for F1. As it is also one of the less expensive brands in the empire, I can't think of a better one to promote in the countries and economies where F1 and VAG are looking to expand, Eastern Europe, Asia, Latin America and India.

Problem is by 2018, F1 as we know it might well not exist anymore anyway, i can't see it sustaining the costs required, in which case it might well be a lot cheaper to enter anyway.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 16:54 (Ref:3019444)   #11
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Why not Skoda?
why not indeed? at this rate those countries may be the only ones that have F1 races so what better way to connect with the Indian population than with a brand they can actually relate too. for the majority owning a Lambo is a dream better left unimagined but owning a Skoda is totally doable so what better way to promote it then by throwing their lump into the back of a Mclaren.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Problem is by 2018, F1 as we know it might well not exist anymore anyway, i can't see it sustaining the costs required, in which case it might well be a lot cheaper to enter anyway.
Fiat will be there for the history but add in some Skoda's vs the occasional Kia and Hyundai showing up for the fly away races...hopefully the spiraling out of control costs translate to spiraling out of control costs to watch and i will be spared that particularly ridiculous future!

just joking around btw
Old 31 Jan 2012, 18:45 (Ref:3019483)   #12
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
why not indeed? at this rate those countries may be the only ones that have F1 races so what better way to connect with the Indian population than with a brand they can actually relate too. for the majority owning a Lambo is a dream better left unimagined but owning a Skoda is totally doable so what better way to promote it then by throwing their lump into the back of a Mclaren.

Fiat will be there for the history but add in some Skoda's vs the occasional Kia and Hyundai showing up for the fly away races...hopefully the spiraling out of control costs translate to spiraling out of control costs to watch and i will be spared that particularly ridiculous future!

just joking around btw
It can become the Emergent Economy World Championship or Formula Low Cost Manufacturing...
Old 31 Jan 2012, 21:12 (Ref:3019553)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I suppose one time this rumour couldn be be right! It's like cry wolf though.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 22:49 (Ref:3019621)   #14
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If VW was to link up with McLaren I doubt that they would use their premium brands as these would likely be in competition with certain road cars coming from Woking.
I can't imagine a McLaren Porsche F1 car when McLaren road cars will be directly competing with Porsche.
It would probably make sence to use the VW brand for F1 as it would be a brand that is available in all the markets that F1 visits whereas Skoda & Seat are primarily European
Old 3 Feb 2012, 22:14 (Ref:3021249)   #15
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A good article at http://plus.autosport.com/premium/fe...d-in-f1-again/ by Dieter Rencken.
For those who do not have access he says that the Audi brand is the most likely to be used with a target to increase business across Asia, Europe with the USA to be covered by domestic series.
His hunch is that a tie up with Red Bull looks the most likely as there are already a number of links between Red Bull and the VW group.
Old 4 Feb 2012, 10:02 (Ref:3021378)   #16
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This rumour has been around since the early-2000s. One year ago the Volkswagen Group made it absolutely clear they do not intend to enter Formula 1 for various reasons, such as irrelevance. At that moment 1,4-litre L4T-engines were proposed for 2013, only to lure them into Formula 1. It turned out to be ineffective and therefore I fail to see any reason why they should enter at the 2014 introduction of the 1,4-litre, semi-standardized, completely irrelevant and still awfully expensive V6T-engines.
Old 4 Feb 2012, 12:25 (Ref:3021420)   #17
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Why don't we extend the speculation to include VW buying Lotus from the new Proton owners and inheriting the F1 team?Its about as likely.
Old 4 Feb 2012, 13:33 (Ref:3021451)   #18
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
Why don't we extend the speculation to include VW buying Lotus from the new Proton owners and inheriting the F1 team?Its about as likely.
You've heard that story too? It must be right then...
Old 4 Feb 2012, 13:39 (Ref:3021453)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
This rumour has been around since the early-2000s. One year ago the Volkswagen Group made it absolutely clear they do not intend to enter Formula 1 for various reasons, such as irrelevance. At that moment 1,4-litre L4T-engines were proposed for 2013, only to lure them into Formula 1. It turned out to be ineffective and therefore I fail to see any reason why they should enter at the 2014 introduction of the 1,4-litre, semi-standardized, completely irrelevant and still awfully expensive V6T-engines.
The 2014 engines are 1.6 litre engines. The engines are downsized turbo engines with hybrid technology, which a great deal of car manufacturers are now using in their cars - Volkswagen included.

The fact that the engines are semi-standardized, means that not only will the engines be interchangeable among the individual chassis (common bolt pattern), so that if an engine manufacturer does leave, another engine from a remaining manufacturer can be bolted straight in, it will also lessen the likelihood of an engine manufacturer making an obvious mistake in the first place.

Any engine manufacturer that does make a mistake with its engine architecture is more likely to quit the sport, rather than spend another small fortune on engine R&D.
Old 4 Feb 2012, 18:33 (Ref:3021578)   #20
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
The 2014 engines are 1.6 litre engines. The engines are downsized turbo engines with hybrid technology, which a great deal of car manufacturers are now using in their cars - Volkswagen included.

The fact that the engines are semi-standardized, means that not only will the engines be interchangeable among the individual chassis (common bolt pattern), so that if an engine manufacturer does leave, another engine from a remaining manufacturer can be bolted straight in, it will also lessen the likelihood of an engine manufacturer making an obvious mistake in the first place.

Any engine manufacturer that does make a mistake with its engine architecture is more likely to quit the sport, rather than spend another small fortune on engine R&D.
With such restrictive regulations Formula 1 indeed needs to be prepared for engine manufactures leaving the sport, as it chooses to follow instead of leading trends. Apart from being an expensive marketing tool, Formula 1 is increasingly irrelevant. This format is certainly not lasting. Not unsurprisingly, the new 2014 engine regulations haven't lured any engine manufactures to (re-)enter the series. The current economic recession does not help, but other series - LMP, WRC, Indycar and DTM - succeeded in attracting one or more new manufactures and are therefore certainly doing a better job.
Old 4 Feb 2012, 18:37 (Ref:3021581)   #21
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
With such restrictive regulations Formula 1 indeed needs to be prepared for engine manufactures leaving the sport, as it chooses to follow instead of leading trends. Apart from being an expensive marketing tool, Formula 1 is increasingly irrelevant. This format is certainly not lasting. Not unsurprisingly, the new 2014 engine regulations haven't lured any engine manufactures to (re-)enter the series. The current economic recession does not help, but other series - LMP, WRC, Indycar and DTM - succeeded in attracting one or more new manufactures and are therefore certainly doing a better job.
Talking about the Volkswagen Group in motor sport: it already competes at Le Mans with Audi and within two years to will participate with Porsche as well. That should be food for thought.
Old 4 Feb 2012, 23:22 (Ref:3021666)   #22
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Talking about the Volkswagen Group in motor sport: it already competes at Le Mans with Audi and within two years to will participate with Porsche as well. That should be food for thought.
Also in the WRC, IRC and Dakar with VW and Skoda.

Point is though, that none of these have the global TV reach of F1. I'd imagine that the VW group would be looking hard at F1 because of this at least. Whether or not they choose to jump in remains to be seen but for sure a turbo/hybrid small capacity V6 does kinda link to their road car products (for marketing purposes) than the current F1 engines.
Old 5 Feb 2012, 14:54 (Ref:3021823)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
With such restrictive regulations Formula 1 indeed needs to be prepared for engine manufactures leaving the sport, as it chooses to follow instead of leading trends.
Name one time when F1 has lead a 'trend'?

Quote:
Apart from being an expensive marketing tool, Formula 1 is increasingly irrelevant. This format is certainly not lasting.
Right. No one is ever going to find anything road relevant about 18,000 rpm V8 F1 engines for road car use, but they do sound good, but not better than the equally irrelevant V10 and V12 engines.

Quote:
Not unsurprisingly, the new 2014 engine regulations haven't lured any engine manufactures to (re-)enter the series.
Maybe, like Peugeot, they are realising that electrically driven road cars are not just a fad.

Quote:
The current economic recession does not help, but other series - LMP, WRC, Indycar and DTM - succeeded in attracting one or more new manufactures and are therefore certainly doing a better job.
LMP gained Toyota, but lost Peugeot (see above). And infighting with regard to engine parity is still a major problem.

WRC doesn't even have a TV deal at the moment. And BMW are threatening to pull the plug on the 'Mini' project.

Indycar had given the engine manufacturers an engine choice of a maximum of six cylinders in any configuration. But guess what! Chrevrolet, Lotus and Honda have all built V6 engines! Who would have thought.

DTM has reduced costs drastically for the 2012 season, along with making it even more of a spec series. So it's little wonder that Audi and BMW have jumped back onboard.
Old 7 Feb 2012, 09:50 (Ref:3022548)   #24
baclightning
Racer

United States
Kirkland, WA, USA
baclightning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
A good article at http://plus.autosport.com/premium/fe...d-in-f1-again/ by Dieter Rencken.
For those who do not have access he says that the Audi brand is the most likely to be used with a target to increase business across Asia, Europe with the USA to be covered by domestic series.
His hunch is that a tie up with Red Bull looks the most likely as there are already a number of links between Red Bull and the VW group.
The VW logo was quite visible on the backdrop at the Toro Rosso launch...

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-conten...nch_1_2012.jpg
Old 7 Feb 2012, 11:45 (Ref:3022611)   #25
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
toro rosso and red bull both used vw roadcars and as such were sponsored by them for a long while. red bull taking on that other manufacturer through renault as a sponsor ended that one, but toro rosso still have all their team transport etc provided by vw. that's historical, but whether it's time to start reading more into an increased involvement i don't know.