Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Sep 2006, 19:59 (Ref:1715823)   #26
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1993 was probably the best for me. The Nashville Network in the USA had a 10 minute highlight package on the race and seeing that sparked my interest in bathurst and australian motorsport and therefore changed the path of my life. And what a good race it was.

1994 I think was pretty good. Bowe vs. lowndes with perkins caning the commodore in a race to catch them.
Old 21 Sep 2006, 23:51 (Ref:1715952)   #27
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i rate 1994 as my fav.

The crowds going who is this kid who dares to challenge.

then the pass (hey murph did you notice JB didnt put him in the wall and that meant he could go past latter and win)

then the repass

the tension was certainly there, still sandown 2006 was a better finish
Old 22 Sep 2006, 01:24 (Ref:1715989)   #28
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's amazing how each race on the mount has had its moments.
73 - Chivas struggle into the pits. As I recall I think that happened in the first half of the race, and the rumours floating around at tehe time suggested the winning Falcon's engine was on its last legs.
also rumored that Chivas tried to clutch start it which did a lotmore harm than good.

in hindsight, why didnt somone suggest he try and crank it along on the starter motor? must have been faster than pushing!

Quote:
74 - the smoking L34s. Seeming unstoppable the HDT jugganaut was four laps in front at Lap 100. Then Brock out and Bondy had a long stop ahead.
according to my old man who was around HDT that year apparantly they told brock to ease off as they were so far in front. this caused a lean out on one of the carbies causing the detonation. he could be wrong though

either that or the failure of the " were not using it " alledged dry sump system.
Old 22 Sep 2006, 02:10 (Ref:1716001)   #29
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell
Chivas should never have had to push the car in 1973, by the way. He came round Hell far too slow and cut in tight, killing what speed he had, otherwise he could have coasted straight into the pits and Brock would have racked up ten wins. As it was, I think Brock drove the last lap on a flat rear tyre...

Upshot of this is that three years later Brock was having problems with the fuel pickup bent and not getting the last ten gallons or so. He stopped on Conrod because of it to see if he could do anything, because he didn't realise how silly Chivas had actually been. He got bogged as a result, but got going, coasted down the straight and straight into the pits... maybe win number eleven gone west!
Ray, I don't know what your issue with Doug Chivas is, but as I was a friend of his from 1965 until his death this year, I'll add my 2c worth.

I crewed for Doug at numerous Bathursts with a variety of cars. Minis, Capri, E38 and E49 Chargers, L34 Torana, etc. In '73, I wasn't part of the HDT crew, but I was there. I don't know why Harry decided to go for 'max. laps' when he did. The two XU1s were set to run different strategies. The Brock/Chivas car was running Weber carbs and was set to be the 'hare', while the Bond/Geoghegan car ran (I think) SUs, and was set to do one less pit stop with its better fuel consumption. No two-way radios, so the only communication was via pit boards. Doug was given the 'get max laps' sign when the thing had already coughed a few times, sucking air. He decided to go for another two laps, rather than pull in on the first opportunity after being shown that sign. Sure enough, the engine stopped coming through McPhillamy. That's a long way to roll a car on fat slick tyres back to the pits, particularly getting through Forrests Elbow. He started the car a few times down Conrod (on the ignition, foot on clutch), but as soon as he engaged the clutch, it cut out. He tried a few wiggles to slop any remaining fuel around, hopefully to get it to crank just enough to do the uphill to the pits, but no luck. I don't know about driving it on the starter motor. I doubt it would have worked in a standard Torana, let alone one with the compression the HDT XU1s were running.

Yes, he came around Hell too slow, but he'd been rolling it along from the top of the mountain. Maybe he was silly, and with over thirty years of hindsight, I'm sure you could have done better.
Old 22 Sep 2006, 09:15 (Ref:1716173)   #30
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMoffat
As a Ford fan and Moffat supporter 1977. Sure it was not close and Bond could have won but thems the breaks. I spent too many disapointed Bathursts watching a Holden win to not savour the victories by the blue light.

In the same vein, Goss in '74 in the wet. You have to love Gossie.

Wow, dredged up from the archives of those who no longer post here...

I stick by assertion of many years ago. The Great Man Commeth (is that one m or two?).

By the way it's no use asking Ray, he had issues with the whole human race, he subsequently left the building.
Old 22 Sep 2006, 21:13 (Ref:1716713)   #31
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love 1979 after watching the ful replay(as i was born some years later) i said "this is boring a six lap win" and then "THE KING OF THR MOUNTAIN" set the fastest time on the last lap great to see he was still pushing even though he could of drove home just crusing.

and i loved the controversial win in 1982 when they cross entered the cars.gota love a bit of controversy.and brock also did it at sandown when harvey come into the pits and brock just jumped in the car and drove off and the stewards called them up and said the are going to have to disqualify them and they got the stewrds to hold off the disqualification until the end of the race as brocky loved driving the didnt want to have to make him stop.

and the falcon 1 - 2 finish.

and when skaife won with the plastic bags stck in the front spliter and everyone thought the commodore was going to over heat.that thing must of just made it home.

to many i've watched replays of and seen live to many to choose from but these are my favourites.

and i liked 2003 when Murph brained them.
Old 22 Sep 2006, 21:20 (Ref:1716720)   #32
Aarrgh8
Veteran

AM, I know. BTW, I got it wrong too. I said 'Hell' when I meant 'Murrays' .

I'd back Doug's experience and ability back then to nurse race or rally cars to good results against most drivers of the era. Sorry 'bout the rant.

Back on 'Best Bathurst Finishes' - running back over the past forty years reminds me of the two worst Bathurst finishes. 1981 and 1992. Something very deflating and unfinished the way they both ended. Dick Johnson must have mixed feelings about both of them. One handed him a win that wasn't expected, and the other took away a win that he deserved.
Old 23 Sep 2006, 02:58 (Ref:1716847)   #33
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorta cancels itself out doesn't it?

I think '95 was a brilliant race. I mean come on, Larry and Russell drove that car to the absolute maximum for six hours straight and no component showed a single sign of failing (not even the brake pads- ). They put it through and beyond its paces and it delivered them. I remember watching the final laps cheering Larry on, and then when Seton retired... I just went nuts!

Although I have to say hard luck to Seto, he deserved that win.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 24 Sep 2006, 01:27 (Ref:1717376)   #34
cmifsud
Racer

Australia
Australia
cmifsud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, 1995 was brilliant because Larry and Russ just smashed every one. Their car could last 6 and a half hours and abuse, whereas neither HRT car lasted 30 laps! for example.
Old 24 Sep 2006, 06:56 (Ref:1717413)   #35
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
1985 was good with the Jag comming in ahead of the BMW but one of the best would have to be 1992.
Old 24 Sep 2006, 11:00 (Ref:1717497)   #36
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
1985 was good with the Jag comming in ahead of the BMW but one of the best would have to be 1992.
I think '85 will be remembered as the one that got away from Brock, but he seemed to have a lot of them...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 24 Sep 2006, 11:06 (Ref:1717500)   #37
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For me
1977 for the 1-2. Ok, not the most exciting, but the TV footage from the chopper above Conrod on the last lap sticks in the mind forever.

1989 First time actually at the mountain. Dick won, although he did worry us for a while.

1992 Not the best way to finish a race. It was pretty hairy in pit straight.

1994 That finish...THAT MOVE!!!!!.....Everyone knew who Craig Lowndes was when the race was over.

1995 One that got away for Ford. And Larry caning that Commodore all race, to finally dispose of Glenn in the most heartbreaking way.

1998? Super tourers Bathurst (not totally sure of the year) Richards v's Richards all the way to the flag.....pity no one was there to see it....
Old 24 Sep 2006, 13:33 (Ref:1717580)   #38
M-Kart
Veteran

Australia
M-Kart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170
1998? Super tourers Bathurst (not totally sure of the year) Richards v's Richards all the way to the flag.....pity no one was there to see it....
Yeah that was 1998, Jimmy Richards & Rickard Rydell vs. Steven Richards & Matt Neal, father & son toe to to righ till the end!
Old 25 Sep 2006, 02:19 (Ref:1718056)   #39
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgh8
a win that he deserved.
How?

I think 92 was a great finish - the look on Richards face when he found out he'd won! Ignorance of the rules doesn't change who "should" win.

02 with Skaife and the plastic bags was one of my favourites. Seeing Lowndes' Ford overheat with substantially less litter in the intake and Skaife balancing between pushing and conserving the engine to win the race and the championship
Old 25 Sep 2006, 02:28 (Ref:1718057)   #40
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
How about '03 as well, with Skaifey's door going off its rocker...
Old 25 Sep 2006, 04:29 (Ref:1718078)   #41
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
I think '85 will be remembered as the one that got away from Brock, but he seemed to have a lot of them...
Not sure how '85 got away from Brock, he never really looked like having it. He never led the race once, and when he retired from second place with a handful of laps to go, was still 30 odd seconds behind the leading Goss/Hahne Jag, with Walkinshaw's Jaguar also between them on the road to act as a 'blocker' if needed.

Quote:
One handed him a win that wasn't expected
What was unexpected about his 1981 win?

He had led basically all day (bar when they lost time in a slow pitstop) & had the speed on the other cars. Granted the car wasn't healthy when he race was stopped, but if you believe enough of that talk no cars in the top 6 were going to make to 163 laps that year

1992 they did well, but it wasn't a win that they deserved taken away from them.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 06:40 (Ref:1719971)   #42
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
How?

I think 92 was a great finish - the look on Richards face when he found out he'd won! Ignorance of the rules doesn't change who "should" win.
As a Holden man, I'd feel a bit strange trying to explain why I think a Ford deserved to win Bathurst, so I can so no more - except that I think it did.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 08:41 (Ref:1720069)   #43
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As a Holden man, I'd feel a bit strange trying to explain why I think a Ford deserved to win Bathurst, so I can so no more - except that I think it did.
I think the 2nd Nissan would have won quite easily if the race had continued anyway.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 26 Sep 2006, 08:56 (Ref:1720080)   #44
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
This has been one of mysteries of life... What exactly happened to Richo in Godzilla? Where did he hit the wall and how come?
Old 26 Sep 2006, 10:32 (Ref:1720162)   #45
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
This has been one of mysteries of life... What exactly happened to Richo in Godzilla? Where did he hit the wall and how come?
Not that much of a mystery. The right hand bend at Reid Park just after the Cutting. Car just went straight on after crossing a river running across the track at that point. Track conditions were an absolute lottery as to who made it back to the pits intact. It was a full blown storm, the kind that makes a mockery of skill and experience.

Not that I'm suggesting for even a moment that the race should have continued (because it damn well should not have - red flag was absolutely the right choice), but seriously, just what sort of defence could Johnson have mounted on a damp track with Olofsson in the second Nissan, and Longhurst (who had made his last fuel stop) in the BMW behind him on the same lap.

Last edited by Falcadore; 26 Sep 2006 at 10:35.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 11:43 (Ref:1720245)   #46
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
Not that much of a mystery. The right hand bend at Reid Park just after the Cutting. Car just went straight on after crossing a river running across the track at that point. Track conditions were an absolute lottery as to who made it back to the pits intact. It was a full blown storm, the kind that makes a mockery of skill and experience.

Not that I'm suggesting for even a moment that the race should have continued (because it damn well should not have - red flag was absolutely the right choice), but seriously, just what sort of defence could Johnson have mounted on a damp track with Olofsson in the second Nissan, and Longhurst (who had made his last fuel stop) in the BMW behind him on the same lap.
Too true, Falc, and in the wash-up, the dominant car of the day had its efforts recognised with the win. That deluge, and the carnage it created, would've nearly kept the tow-ies busy until midnight, even if they had've kept them circulating under the yellows. As much as I would've loved to have seen Godzilla bested, and most particularly by #17, the result of the 1992 Great Race was the only logical one in the circumstances on the day.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 21:45 (Ref:1720737)   #47
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
The same defence he'd shown all weekend. He started from pole and had run at the front all day. What might have happened had that downpour not occurred we'll never know. I said that he deserved to win, and wondering whether the second GTR, or Longhurst's Sierra might have passed him doesn't change that.

I'll now revert to my normal support of Holdens.
Old 26 Sep 2006, 21:59 (Ref:1720743)   #48
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Sorry, Longhurst's BM, not Sierra.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 00:16 (Ref:1720781)   #49
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The GTR went off at Forrest's Elbow, aquaplaning into three other cars that had already gone off the track.

Whether Richards/Skaife would have won if the storm hadn't come isn't a question. Barring mechanical failure or something strange happening, they had the race won.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 01:16 (Ref:1720804)   #50
Aarrgh8
Veteran

We'll never know.