Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Sep 2006, 01:54 (Ref:1720810)   #51
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Did it rob Cromley of his only genuine shot at a Bathurst win?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 Sep 2006, 03:04 (Ref:1720839)   #52
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yor a pack of HOLES i never thought a gentleman would talk like that but i agree they were i was happy as they had that race if that storm never came aslong as nothing broke in the car but i also agree with the crowd a NISSAN.
Old 27 Sep 2006, 11:33 (Ref:1721130)   #53
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bit further down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
The GTR went off at Forrest's Elbow, aquaplaning into three other cars that had already gone off the track.
Roll tape again...its a wee bit further down the straight mate
Old 27 Sep 2006, 11:50 (Ref:1721143)   #54
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the "gentleman Jum" tag was only a bit of phonetic alliteration on the part of Mike Raymond... Richo can play as hard-ass as any of the bullies...

And despite the talk of his renowned mechanical sympathy, Skaife reckons JR taught him exactly how mercilessly you have to treat a car to be right at the top of the heap, week in, week out...

...and it's meant that the guy remains The Man, into his sixties...
Old 27 Sep 2006, 12:23 (Ref:1721171)   #55
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think one of my favourite finishes was 2002, with Skaife leading Brock in his last Bathurst 1000 finish across the line, albeit in 26th some ungodly number of laps down.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 27 Sep 2006, 14:45 (Ref:1721267)   #56
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Did it rob Cromley of his only genuine shot at a Bathurst win?
Crompton robbed himself of a genuine shot at a Bathurst win in 1987
Old 27 Sep 2006, 23:15 (Ref:1721601)   #57
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
isnt the Gentleman Jim tag cause he comes and appologies after hes nerfed you off?

I miss Mike Raymonds commentary. that and the theme music from the 7 broadcasts! memories..... was a good plast fromthe past when he did the Teevee commentary for some procar rounds a few years back. must be getting long in the tooth now.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 05:19 (Ref:1721718)   #58
PE 030
Rookie

PE 030 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmifsud
I agree, 1995 was brilliant because Larry and Russ just smashed every one. Their car could last 6 and a half hours and abuse, whereas neither HRT car lasted 30 laps! for example.
This was the race that certainly showed Perkins strength in building cars to go the distance.Flat knacker from start to finish without missing a beat.

Just a shame there is no real avenue to get the old girl out and about without risking damage by racing door handle to door handle in Sport Sedans or the Touring car challenge.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 05:22 (Ref:1721721)   #59
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Crompton robbed himself of a genuine shot at a Bathurst win in 1987
Touche
Old 28 Sep 2006, 05:28 (Ref:1721724)   #60
Seton Fanatic
Racer

Seton Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's also a strong argument that Crompton should have won in 1997 and 2000, as well.

My best ever Bathurst finish will hopefully come next week. No prizes for guessing what I'm talking about.
Old 28 Sep 2006, 05:39 (Ref:1721725)   #61
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seton Fanatic
There's also a strong argument that Crompton should have won in 1997 and 2000, as well.

My best ever Bathurst finish will hopefully come next week. No prizes for guessing what I'm talking about.
I would like to think this could happen too SF

Mr Seton also enjoyed a strong personal relationship with Mr Brock, so this would certainly be the preferred prodigal son to win the Great Race
Old 28 Sep 2006, 05:49 (Ref:1721732)   #62
Seton Fanatic
Racer

Seton Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What? Not Lowndesy? You did allude to something a couple of years ago, GTR, and certainly, Glenn was on SKY NEWS, the day after the Brock death, explaining how they helped him get back into racing, after the accident. Can we please have a detailed explanation of what you mean, GTR?
Old 28 Sep 2006, 06:40 (Ref:1721747)   #63
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Where to start....

- Bridgestone tyre supply with leftover ex-Brock Bridgestones
- Mobil/Bridgestone Tyre Centres sponsorship of GSR in 1996
- Assistance and personal support to Mr Seton after his mega sausage at Phillip Island in testing in 2000.

The families were obviously close as well, many a race meeting back in the early days of V8Supercar you would regularly see Bevo wishing Mr Seton good luck on the grid, or in the paddock... especially at Bathurst and at other places...

... there was also talk that Mr Seton was a customer of Dr Eric Dowker as well....
Old 1 Oct 2006, 11:49 (Ref:1724334)   #64
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
The GTR went off at Forrest's Elbow, aquaplaning into three other cars that had already gone off the track.
Rotor, the 3 wheeled GTR crashed into the pile of carnage beyond the elbow AFTER it had already clobbered the wall at Reid Park, as described earlier by the very knowledgeable Falcadore.
Old 1 Oct 2006, 11:59 (Ref:1724341)   #65
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgh8
Ray, I don't know what your issue with Doug Chivas is, but I'll add my 2c worth. Doug was given the 'get max laps' sign when the thing had already coughed a few times, sucking air. He decided to go for another two laps, rather than pull in on the first opportunity after being shown that sign. Sure enough, the engine stopped coming through McPhillamy. That's a long way to roll a car on fat slick tyres back to the pits, particularly getting through Forrests Elbow. He started the car a few times down Conrod (on the ignition, foot on clutch), but as soon as he engaged the clutch, it cut out. He tried a few wiggles to slop any remaining fuel around, hopefully to get it to crank just enough to do the uphill to the pits, but no luck. I don't know about driving it on the starter motor. I doubt it would have worked in a standard Torana, let alone one with the compression the HDT XU1s were running.

Yes, he came around Hell too slow, but he'd been rolling it along from the top of the mountain. Maybe he was silly, and with over thirty years of hindsight, I'm sure you could have done better.
A couple of years ago, the electric fuel pump in my Torana XU1 died on the last lap of a Group N race at Bathurst. I was last car on the lead lap, so i couldn't be passed, I just had to finish. The car only just made it to McPhillamy, so I knocked it into neutral and coasted all the way to the finish line.

If it wasn't for PB's account of the Chivas incident, I wouldn't have thought it possible. But, sure enough, the car made it across the line, just..... It rolled to a halt 3 metres over the line! It felt really weird rolling down Conrod, at a fairly considerable speed in a silent car. The best part was turning onto pit straight and the crowd knew straight away what was happening and they cheered like mad when i crossed the line.
Old 18 Oct 2015, 12:42 (Ref:3583850)   #66
naca
Racer

naca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has to be 2014.
Old 18 Oct 2015, 13:36 (Ref:3583881)   #67
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dramatic yes but I prefer to see 2 guys battling it out on equal terms rather than 1 bloke that has no fuel to defend with. Add in the red flag and the thousands of safety cars throughout the day.

93 or 98 for me strike as great races with close finishes
Old 19 Oct 2015, 01:29 (Ref:3583998)   #68
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2014 was probably the best finish but the first 140 laps were close to the worst first 140 laps of Bathurst-constant safety cars negating the racing on the track and the tactics in the pits and of course the red flag under the farcical rule that allowed teams to rebuild their cars mid race.
Old 19 Oct 2015, 04:23 (Ref:3584023)   #69
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
2014 was probably the best finish but the first 140 laps were close to the worst first 140 laps of Bathurst-constant safety cars negating the racing on the track and the tactics in the pits and of course the red flag under the farcical rule that allowed teams to rebuild their cars mid race.
Agree in general - 2014 was not a great race - close at the finish but the race itself was a bit meh. Personally I don't agree with work on cars during a red flag period but it's part of the deal - we've seen the same thing in F1 too.

Those races where two or more are clearly driving flat out, no quarter asked or given and pushing their cars to the utmost with very little gap between them are for mine the best. Spookily, the name Lowndes seems to feature in a few of them!
Old 19 Oct 2015, 17:41 (Ref:3584146)   #70
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I still stand by 1979 but 2006 would have to be the best or equal best. There wasn't a dry eye that race. Craig deserved that win.
Old 19 Oct 2015, 22:53 (Ref:3584207)   #71
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another vote for 2006. An amazing day.
Old 19 Oct 2015, 23:14 (Ref:3584210)   #72
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
With 2 laps to go in 2014 an extraordinary race was almost complete, then it came alive for the last two laps, which created an amazing finish, but not the best

Loved 2006, and 2012 and 2013 were fantastic, especially as the safety car had minimal affect in those years and the strategies were different between the leading cars
Old 19 Oct 2015, 23:57 (Ref:3584218)   #73
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
With 2 laps to go in 2014 an extraordinary race was almost complete, then it came alive for the last two laps, which created an amazing finish, but not the best

Loved 2006, and 2012 and 2013 were fantastic, especially as the safety car had minimal affect in those years and the strategies were different between the leading cars
Although 2012 was close, never did I think that Reynolds would try to pass Whincup.

Some of the best finishes for me.

'86 - everyone was just so happy for Gricey, and the prospect of a Gricey "brainfade" was always in the the background to the last lap.

'89 - DJ and JB might have led every lap, but make no mistake, all DJR fans were on the edge of their seats all day and especially at the end of the race with the car down on boost and slower than the pursing AMR Sierra.

'98 - spoiled only by a lapped car in the dipper and unlike 2012, Matt Neal wouldn't have been so shy in making a move.

'06 - a fairytale.
Old 20 Oct 2015, 00:37 (Ref:3584226)   #74
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For me 2 of the greats are 93 and 95. But I'm biased with regards to these races.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the 07 race. Frosty/Richo going off, Bright/Macrow coming from nowhere on an alternate strategy before binning it, Skaife and Ingall binning cars in the run to the flag. Stevie J putting a DJR car into the lead with a couple to go.

Great Race IMO
Old 20 Oct 2015, 01:07 (Ref:3584233)   #75
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell View Post
For me 2 of the greats are 93 and 95. But I'm biased with regards to these races.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the 07 race. Frosty/Richo going off, Bright/Macrow coming from nowhere on an alternate strategy before binning it, Skaife and Ingall binning cars in the run to the flag. Stevie J putting a DJR car into the lead with a couple to go.

Great Race IMO
agree with you on 07, was an exciting finish, I think the rain made it exciting which maybe reduces it in the "best" finish ever

But still very enjoyable