Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 18 Jan 2014, 17:09 (Ref:3355658)   #1
fellowsa
Rookie

fellowsa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race Licence and Heart Condition.

Hi Guy's,

I have been viewing these forums for a while now as I am a keen kart racer.

I have recently been looking at getting the budget together to race cars next season but have a query about my licence.

I have a congenital heart condition called Tetralogy of Fallot, basically I had 3 problems when I was born, a leaking valve, a narrowed artery and a hold in my heart.

All these problems have since been fixed and I have checkups every 12-18 months with my consultant.

I have to take asprin daily since having my valve replaced in 2008.

My query is does anyone know if this will severely affect my ability to obtain a race licence?

My doctor encourages me to exercise and I have never been told I cannot participate in anything by my doctor.

They are aware I race and have never said I can't.

I have emailed the MSA regarding this and hope to receive a reply in due course but was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the subject and weather it's a flat no or a case by case basis?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Andy.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 17:40 (Ref:3355661)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Welcome to tenths fellowsa. As you've contacted the MSA the best thing is to wait and see what they say, maybe a phone call to follow up the email would speed things up. I'd say It'll be on a case by case basis (not a flat no) and they'll want details from your GP and maybe your consultant. There's a lot of racers out there that have had serious heart problems who get licences and TBH as you have regular check ups you're probably a safer bet than a lot of people that only have one medical up to 45 years of age.
Good luck with it.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 21:22 (Ref:3355700)   #3
fellowsa
Rookie

Thanks Tim, fingers crossed, I am not in any rush at the moment just don't want to start splashing out on race gear and racecar before I know I can race.

I am looking into starting either the tail end of this season or start of the 2015 season in the 750MC Classic Stock Hatch Championship, as such may opt to complete my ARDS at their day in March at Donington.

Hence me trying to find out now before I book anything.

Hopefully I shall get a reply in the week and go from there.

Thanks again for your reply.

Andy.
Old 19 Jan 2014, 16:46 (Ref:3355925)   #4
winkle
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wallington
winkle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi

As Tim says, It will almost certainly be decided on a case by case basis, your doctor/consultant will have to provide the MSA with your medical information and you might have to do an ECG test, but providing your doctor has no objections to you competing you should be OK.

Good luck

Steve
Old 19 Jan 2014, 19:24 (Ref:3355967)   #5
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andy - have you held a kart MSA licence or was it non-MSA you competed in?
Old 19 Jan 2014, 21:04 (Ref:3355995)   #6
fellowsa
Rookie

Thanks for the reply's guy's much appreciated, hoping your right and all will be well.

I have raced non msa karting for the past 3 seasons in several championships, Covkartsport, Elite Karting League and European Pro Kart Endurance Championships.

All have been in the hire class I even drove in the PPIK Children in Need 24hr event this year.

Thanks
Andy
Old 19 Jan 2014, 22:55 (Ref:3356020)   #7
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agree with all the above! You can read the regulations about applying for or renewing a licence in the MSA Yearbook, AKA BlueBook (it has a green cover this year!), in Section H. Competitors: Licences.
http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/m...A_Yearbook.pdf

Look especially at this para:
"10.1.4. In the event of any uncertainty as to whether or
not the applicant satisfies the Medical requirements,
the examination form should be signed by the GP and
should then be sent directly to the MSA’s Medical
Section Administrator, with any additional information
which may be of assistance."
I think you have a good chance of getting a licence - while the MSA says that "Diabetics requiring treatment with insulin will not normally be issued with a licence ........ In certain circumstances the Medical Consultant at the
MSA will be prepared to consider applications in writing by Insulin controlled Diabetics." Even those with epilepsy can ask with hope if their treatment has made them fit-free for five years. (Paras 10.1.7, 10.1.8)

John
Old 20 Jan 2014, 10:17 (Ref:3356177)   #8
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Might be worth having a word with a Dr who actually races and therefore understands both the medical side and the racing side, including dealing with the MSA.

Try "Motor Racing Medics" - Dr Mark Green, I think? Based near Gatwick IIRC but the also attend the Autosport and Race Retro shows to do race licence medicals. Might be worth attending Race Retro at the end of Feb at Stoneleigh Park Warwickshire and booking a consultation. They have a web site.

The other racing Dr I know is Steven Griffin who race in Monoposto (he's a heart surgeon!). I have contact details somewhere if you want, but I think he may be working abroad now.
Old 20 Jan 2014, 10:30 (Ref:3356184)   #9
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowsa View Post
Thanks for the reply's guy's much appreciated, hoping your right and all will be well.

I have raced non msa karting for the past 3 seasons in several championships, Covkartsport, Elite Karting League and European Pro Kart Endurance Championships.

All have been in the hire class I even drove in the PPIK Children in Need 24hr event this year.

Thanks
Andy
ah right I was hoping you had an MSA kart licence as precedent would have been set. If it comes to it though I suppose you can point to your drives in EKL, EPEC and CovKartSport as evidence of your fitness to race.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 00:52 (Ref:3356477)   #10
fellowsa
Rookie

Thanks for the replies guy's I am hoping you are all correct, I await an email from the MSA if no reply I shall call them next week to ask.

The advice is Much appreciated and hopefully I will be fine and able to complete my race licence so as to take to the grid towards the end of the season.

Thanks
Andy
Old 30 Jan 2014, 15:28 (Ref:3362145)   #11
fellowsa
Rookie

Just to keep you guy's upto date:

I rang the MSA and they said I needed to see my GP for Medical History, current condition and their opinion and send to the MSA.

I went to my GP who didn't want to commit and referred me to my consultant who is going to send me a letter with all the relevant details.

Hopefully I can get this all sorted in the next week or two.

Will update once I get a reply from the MSA so you all know the outcome.

Thanks
Andy
Old 31 Jan 2014, 07:48 (Ref:3362427)   #12
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

If they mess you around get a Clubmans licence and come Prokarting with us, no medical required on that.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 23:52 (Ref:3375970)   #13
fellowsa
Rookie

All sorted now, had the all clear from the MSA today.

I shall now be applying for my licence but have decided to try TKM Clubman first as my budget isn't quite there for cars.

I hope to race cars in the future, just really happy I can have a race licence :-)

Thanks for all of your advice guys.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 11:11 (Ref:3376091)   #14
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowsa View Post
All sorted now, had the all clear from the MSA today.
Congratulations.
Old 7 Mar 2014, 11:13 (Ref:3376092)   #15
fellowsa
Rookie

Thanks Tim :-)
Old 7 Mar 2014, 18:18 (Ref:3376245)   #16
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That is good news, for you fellowsa and for all people with heart conditions who are interested in motor sport.
The MSA does want pople to get involved, not just cut them out, and will listen to your doctor's opinion.
John
Old 16 Mar 2014, 19:26 (Ref:3380716)   #17
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
TKM Clubman is great! If you want to get into the best growing TKM scene come on down to Clay where we've got nearly 30 drivers on a regular basis :-)
Old 17 Mar 2014, 07:56 (Ref:3380951)   #18
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
TKM Clubman is great! If you want to get into the best growing TKM scene come on down to Clay where we've got nearly 30 drivers on a regular basis :-)
Max?
Old 19 Mar 2014, 23:43 (Ref:3382068)   #19
fellowsa
Rookie

I did my first TKM test last week and it was awesome.

I am now in the process of sorting my ARKS ready to race in April at Shenington.

Just the matter if 2 seconds to find in leaders, driving to much like 4 stroke at the moment.

Thanks everyone for your help :-)