Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 12 Dec 2003, 23:11 (Ref:810627)   #26
swift
Racer

swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would appear that most of Tom's ideas for developing the Mk 6's were tried out on the cars at race meetings. Sort of development on the move so to speak. You're quite right, of course, any advantage gained was probably only slight if any but the psychological effect on the opposition was pretty significant!

Ken remembers that they tested with and without Tom's airbox and found that it made not one jot of difference to the car's performance, but you should have seen the number of cars that began sprouting them as soon as they were first spotted on Ken and Derek's cars!

One other tale:..........

As you may recall, Tom used to prep the engines as well as help out with the cars. Ken recalls at one meeting a fellow competitor casting doubts over the legallity of his engine. So, after practice Ken's engine was checked by the scrutineers. It was discovered, by the means of a burette, that the engine's capacity was slightly out. The only means of rectifying this at the circuit was to run the car in the race with the engine fitted with 2 head gaskets. This they did. Guess what? He went quicker in the race than he had in that morning's practice!!!!!!
Old 19 Dec 2003, 17:30 (Ref:816260)   #27
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back to '76 Indylantic, who the heck was Steve Carvill. I'd never heard of him before then, and never after either. Was he a pseudonym ?
Old 19 Dec 2003, 17:52 (Ref:816278)   #28
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure but there was a Steve Carville who raced FF2000 in the 80s wasnt there. Also a Bobby Carville from New York.
Old 19 Dec 2003, 17:54 (Ref:816279)   #29
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I recall he was a young 17? yr old karter sponsored by Wardle.Both dissapeared from racing at the end of '76.
Old 4 Jan 2004, 17:59 (Ref:827506)   #30
Seaman
Rookie

Seaman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re the ex Scheckter Impact McLaren M21 F2 car, I think it was being exhibited at the Donington Collection a year or so ago as part of the McLaren display.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 12:06 (Ref:868114)   #31
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cracking thread - I agree with everyone who says Atlantics were much better cars to watch or listen to than F3s, perhaps we should've kept Atlantic as our top National formula (a kind of F2.5 as it were!) and left F3 to the young hotshoes going places. After all they survived for long enough in other parts of the world... in fact at Miami last summer the Atlantic pole time (although that was Allmendinger and he's pretty special) was faster than some of the rag, tag and bobtail at the back of the CART grid!

Most of my Atlantic memories are of Chevrons or converted F2 Marches and Brabhams turning up at Aintree for Libre races. There is something about the sound of a BD being driven hard that really does send a tingle down the spine regardless of whether it's in a single-seater, a special saloon or a rally car! - alas that's the one thing the Toyota Atlantics have lost these days... they sound a bit subdued!
Old 19 Mar 2004, 15:23 (Ref:910842)   #32
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On UK Atlantic, have we all seen Chris' postings on Old Racing Cars. Full details of the UK 75 season, and very interesting too. I'd forgotten quite how dominant Brise was, he won nearly every race until he started getting into F1. The Birrana also went well mid-season, was the car good or was it down to the driver ?

I recall Bob Muir went OK in Euro F2 on occasion the next year in a private Chevron, with presumably little knowledge of the circuits/cars.

Back to Atlantic, again I see Nick May did quite well, whatever happened to him I wonder, I think the Lola he had that year was the one gfm?john later got.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 20:14 (Ref:911110)   #33
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Dan

Well done for finding those results as nobody was supposed to know just yet. I let Chris see them so he could check them but I don't know if he's had chance to do that yet.

So any mistakes are mine, not his.

Allen
Old 10 Feb 2006, 10:23 (Ref:1519503)   #34
davemorganfan
Racer

davemorganfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear
Back to '76 Indylantic, who the heck was Steve Carvill. I'd never heard of him before then, and never after either. Was he a pseudonym ?
I found the programme for the Croft Indylantic round recently. It said that 18-year old Steve Carvill had ambitions to become F1's youngest ever driver (and we all know how that turned out - triple world champion in the 80s). He distinguished himself by putting his ex-Wardle Surtees on pole for the first Indylantic race, only his 4th car race (after racing karts since he was 13).

Sorry for "thread bumping", by the way, but there's some good stuff on here!
Old 12 Feb 2006, 14:20 (Ref:1520938)   #35
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DMF
The Croft programme from Indyatlantic is one that we are missing from the archive.
Would love to see a scan of relevant pages!

Chris
Old 12 Feb 2006, 15:38 (Ref:1520982)   #36
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We received it this morning in the post Chris. It will be with you shortly.

BTW, thanks Ian!