Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 3 Apr 2005, 21:50 (Ref:1269275)   #26
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Scott, great to see you hitting the ground running

Don't know if you saw me, but was racing against you at the Platinum Cup! Was kinda tricky picking out individual drivers out of the mish-mash of 56 of us Sorry I didn't get a chance to speak to you. Look out for me on the DVD though, I'll be doing the same for you

Nice site too Seems it's a must-have now. Glad I've cottoned on now though, mine went online at the end of February - www.richardcrozier.co.uk

Best of luck for your first race in the field, get stuck in! Might be down for the Gold Cup later this year, hopefully speak to you then.
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 4 Apr 2005, 17:35 (Ref:1270081)   #27
Metalstar
Rookie

Metalstar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cool, you did well in in the platinum cup, you beat plenty of the locals anyway! Cant grumble about 12th on the grid in the A final either! Shame about the understeer you suffered.

I think i should be easy to spot on the DVD, i hope anyway! I had a great battle in the B-final and i dont think there was too much going on in front of us. Will be good fun to watch anyway.

The gold cup should be good, just dont park your van too near ours, we are working out of a citroen C15, you would just make us jealous
Old 5 Apr 2005, 07:54 (Ref:1270579)   #28
#15 tkm 4/
Racer

#15 tkm 4/ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as everyone else is showning there website *cough* www.freewebs.com/racingsd i most warn you though it has not been updated since the start of the new year, and dosnt even have my Super 1 round on it!

But i may update it soon :P
Old 10 May 2005, 18:12 (Ref:1297692)   #29
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What Do I Need?

Just getting my son started in Jr. Rotax. He is 14 and weighs 87lbs. (40kg) I've purchased the following: Helmet/Driving Gear, base enclosed trailer (small 12'x6'), and am in the process of making final decisions on the kart. We have decided quite definatively on a new Tonykart Racer chassis (if you have any reason we should stay away from this chassis, please speak up). It will come turnkey so it has everything necessary to be Rotax legal such as the beadlocks on the wheels etc., however, it will not include data aquisition in the base package and any input is appreciated.

What I really am asking input on is what should I have in the trailer to start out and reduce the risk of being caught out without the proper tools, spares, etc. I don't want a kid bumming out because he can't race because we came unprepared.

Thanks for any help and advice!
Old 10 May 2005, 18:37 (Ref:1297707)   #30
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tony Kart is an extremely good chassis. Only gripe i have is the spares are expensive unlike Gillards and some others. But most the big companies including CRG which would be my other choice are pretty expensive for spares.

I'd a spare nose cone, side pods if you can, stub axles, bearings, sprocket, chain and that should start you off. Also a spare fully charged battery and some spark plugs.

Hope that helps a bit
Old 11 May 2005, 02:57 (Ref:1297983)   #31
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Ah yes, the spare battery. That would have been a miss. Thanks Speedy King!

What about jets. Any advice there? Our track sits at about 1350 meters. And tires? a spare set and wets? Brake shoes? Rotor?
Old 11 May 2005, 03:03 (Ref:1297987)   #32
Boro
Racer

Boro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if tony is supported at a shop / track close to your house, by all means go for it. if it's not, consider something else. nothing is more annoying than having to order parts online because it's not supported close to where you race.

Last edited by speedy king; 11 May 2005 at 15:40. Reason: Advertising of other forums is not permitted
Old 11 May 2005, 03:19 (Ref:1297995)   #33
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Thanks Boro. The shop closest to my house (3km) is the only Rotax shop within 800km. They carry Tony Kart, Birel, CRG, Track Magic and had PTK but they told me the PTK's are no more and that Tony is going to be building the new Paul Tracy signature line so PTK parts may be hard to come by soon as they don't think CRG intends to give full them continued support. Seems the Tony Kart should be a good choice with quite a few outlets all over when we start to travel. It's been suggested that due to my son's size we also consider a Birel AR28 but in talking with the few guys that have them around here they have told me they are having a tough time dialing in the handeling as they seem to have a severe inbred push. Those that have the Tonys seem to love them so....

Speedy King, you drive a Trulli and seem to like it, Tony builds that too, yes?

One other question. I hear that Rotax is seriously considering requiring front brakes for the 2006 RotaxMax rules. If so it may make sense to buy a kart with front brakes and remove them for this season as it is way less expensive than retrofitting next year. What do you guys know or hear about this?
Old 11 May 2005, 03:45 (Ref:1297997)   #34
Boro
Racer

Most karts that come with front brakes are way too stiff for RMC. Better to buy a 30 / 30/32 chassis now and then see if you can grab the stuff needed for front brakes later.

A shifter chassis would be too stiff for a Jr. Rotax (even if it was originally designed for use w/ a 80cc shifter), and I've not hear about RM requiring front brakes. If that was the case this would've been done as the engine and class isn't anything new.

IF FA/FSA don't need fronts, I don't see how a rotax can possibly "require" front brakes.

As for data acquisition; do that in a few years time after your son has some racing under his belt and knows what to do to for chassis adjustments. A lot of times people get too distracted with the "dash" readout and are not concentrating on driving.

An Alfano pro or anything equivalent would be fine. It has split sector times, rpm and water temp along w/ the memory of the highest rpm and temp reached. Our provincial RM champion who happens to be one of our national representatives at the 2005 RMC worlds races W/O any display on his wheel.
Old 11 May 2005, 04:33 (Ref:1298007)   #35
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Thanks again Boro. The "Racer" chassis is all 30mm so it seems to be the right choice for where we are headed especially when you consider my son is a lightweight, even if we have to meet the weight minimum.

No display is not a bad idea. My son also races luge and we will often turn off the clock so the kids can concentrate on sliding and not worry about their time. Good time comes automatically with smoothe driving and good form so I know what you mean.
Old 12 May 2005, 09:57 (Ref:1299027)   #36
philneast
Racer

Australia
Hobart , Tasmania, Australia
philneast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We carry a spare starter motor as the leads to the brushes are liable to fail. Easily fixed but with a bit r of practice new starter motor can be fitted very quickly.

We also carry a sapre starter switch and rear axles. A clutch plate and proper removal tool as evetually one of the clutch shoes or its mounting post will break.

A spare clutch drum with a differenent front sprocket can make gearing changes simpler.
Old 12 May 2005, 18:10 (Ref:1299372)   #37
#15 tkm 4/
Racer

#15 tkm 4/ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if the driving in america in Rotax max is anything like it is here in England you might as well take a new chassi/spare chassi to all meeting as there likly to get writtern off by some poor drivers!
Old 13 May 2005, 01:26 (Ref:1299573)   #38
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Thanks for the advice. I didn't understand the spare clutch drum comment until later today as I hadn't paid attention to how it was assembled. It is a good idea. I just assumed it would work very simply, like my motorcycles, where you just remove a circlip, slide one sprocket off, slide the new one on, add the circlip and go racing. Is this just bad design or is there a real design need to remove the whole countershaft assembly to get to the countersprocket?

#15 tkm 4/, you crack me up. I understand what your saying but in America it just seems to be the adults who don't know how to drive. To bad Rotax won't allow a spare chassis for the older boys.
Old 13 May 2005, 13:10 (Ref:1299876)   #39
philneast
Racer

Australia
Hobart , Tasmania, Australia
philneast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just thought of something else, the little circlip that is usd to adjust nehdle height can get loose and get lost or, as circlips tend to do, go flying off.
Old 13 May 2005, 22:16 (Ref:1300387)   #40
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to extend that to a spare slide, or even complete carb. I had a delorto slide fall to peices on me a few weeks ago. We were lucky, the bit that fell off stayed infront of the reeds. It could happen to you, but you probably won't be so lucky....
Old 14 May 2005, 13:14 (Ref:1300694)   #41
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
You guys are great. Finally oredered the kart. We went with the Tony Kart Racer EV. Things are coming together nicely. As with you folks, everyone in the paddock here is very nice and extremely helpful. Today we are working on getting the trailer built out and stocked. Although my son is the one who will (and wants to) drive, I feel like a kid in the candy store. Thanks Again!!!
Old 16 May 2005, 03:11 (Ref:1301877)   #42
Boro
Racer

you'll love the reliability of the rotax i think (if you jet it properly).

my friend and I ran from 1030 to 4 nonstop today and the kart didn't show any signs of hiccup. This was on an engine that's already 24 hours old.

all that needed replacing at the end before the next race next weekend will be a sprocket and a chain.

just keep everything properly lubed (remember to lube the bearings) and you'll be fine. chances are your son will need a break before the kart does

have fun
Old 16 May 2005, 15:26 (Ref:1302293)   #43
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatspot
You guys are great. Finally oredered the kart. We went with the Tony Kart Racer EV. Things are coming together nicely. As with you folks, everyone in the paddock here is very nice and extremely helpful. Today we are working on getting the trailer built out and stocked. Although my son is the one who will (and wants to) drive, I feel like a kid in the candy store. Thanks Again!!!
Wish my dad shared some of your enthusiasm! He missed the start of my last race as he was busy in the car reading the paper
Old 16 May 2005, 16:08 (Ref:1302311)   #44
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy king
Wish my dad shared some of your enthusiasm! He missed the start of my last race as he was busy in the car reading the paper
I can't believe that!...mind you I'd guess you must be a bit older than 'Flatspots' 14 year old lad!?

'Flatspot' whilst I can't add to the Rotax tech talk (it came in just after my lad progressed? to motor racing) I did run several youngsters from the age of 8 to the age of 16 for some 10 years winning 13 championships in a variety of classes here in the UK. Inc the highest junior British Junior Championship 100 Reed valve and the Junior ICA class (winning it twice against someone called Jenson Button...whatever became of him?) What you didn't tell us was how experienced you lad was!

That you asked loads of prep' stuff I'll take a guess he's quite new to it?...well if so don't get too involved in the Data Logging stuff stick with your eyeballs and the stopwatch! After safety the most important thing is running him in testing/practice until you've made a groove in the place, time and watch the fastest lads and study their lines and their split times. Whilst hairpins bends don't win races they are the best splits to compare your drivers technique...ie not scrubbing off too much speed whilst not dropping too many revs and getting a good clean fast exit. (so many people confuse a fast kart at the end of the straight with the motor/carb...when it was the poor exit!

It worked for us! You will also find your reliability will come from your own ability to be a fast worker on the kart in terms of repairs and maintenance, although this new breed of R Max's are 100% better than the fragile air-cooled dyno tuned stuff we used to run.

Spend "qualitytime" too with your guy at the trackside at differant corners studying the fastest guys testing, you can never have enough stop watches either!

Hope I'm not teaching "Granny to suck eggs!" but you didn't mention your mileage.

PS: The hidden spin offs of taking my sons racing every weekend was they never got into drugs (except hi octane) booze and getting into trouble (off the track!) it also taught them how to keep their cool in a heated situation. Also all 3 of mine passed their road driving test first time without a single professional driving lesson! Non to date has been involved in an road accident, all have clean licenses and one has a highly paid job in motor racing.

One last bit of advice...do it seriously sure, but never let it get you both uptight!...next week-ends race is a whole clean sheet of paper. Boy how I miss it! Motor racing doesn't like us dads hanging around our boys! :-(
Old 16 May 2005, 17:54 (Ref:1302407)   #45
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen
I can't believe that!...mind you I'd guess you must be a bit older than 'Flatspots' 14 year old lad!?
15. Seriously, the most important thing in my point of view is that you show your son you enjoy it as much as him and encourage him to try his hardest, but not to be dissapointed if he dosent go as well as he would like, just show your proud of his achievments. That'll be enough to put a smile on his face and give him some self appreciation and progress fast. Track time is just as vital as a good chassis, engine like what's been said. The more time on track the better

One other thing, i don't know what his pysical state is, but karting does drain your energy when you start out in this age range. Some weights help for arms and long bike rides if possible for stamina
Old 26 May 2005, 15:19 (Ref:1310756)   #46
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Sorry for not replying sooner but we have been very busy setting up "the team" and we have been out making that "groove in the track" Rennen described.

You guys have hit on what I consider to be the to most important tools a racer can have. Patience and a smile. Success in racing has to be measured by more than the numbers of trophies in the case (although trophies are a bonus). It is our time together that really matters.

My son has had very little experience yet he is showing a great deal of apptitude. He only has one race under his belt and maybe 20 hours of seat time in a Briggs kart (about 10hp I think). In a field of 60 qualifiers he qualified 2nd just .02 seconds off the pole and made the 25 kart main. He got punted on the first lap and lost a half lap to the field, came back to finish fourth behind 3 kids of which the least experienced has 6 years in karts. Not bad for the first time out. The upside for him is that he has been racing luge (rennrodel for you Rennen) since he was 6 years old and spends a great deal of his life at 120+ kph so he is used to and not afraid of speed and g force. Since his kart is not here yet he has been practicing in a freinds international rotax and seems to be doing great. He has been out with a few karts on the track and appeared to be quick but this weekend will be his first practice with heavy traffic and should tell us a bunch. His first Rotax event is a week from Saturday.

As for me, I have had a fair amount of experience racing sports cars and some formula but have been out of it for a long time. I asked the prep questions so that you could give me a jump start and jog the memory to avoid my own braincramp. You've really helped me out! My upside is that I'm handy with a spanner if I don't say so myself and have some coaching experience and training (insert "don't be arrogant" here). Over the last few days I did get the chance to drive a 125 shifter for about 100 laps in a couple of different practice sessions and that was a trip. I felt like a kid again (until the next morning when I felt really old). It was a great experience as it reaquainted me with the feeling of high performance driving (anyone who doen't beleive driving a fast kart isn't high performance driving doesn't know) and adjusting the chassis to where I like it. One really nice thing in working with my son is we communicate well and tend to describe things in the same terms so when he tells me what the kart needs I can understand, almost feel it.

The very best part of all is that he was speachless when asked if he was having fun. He said that he could not put into words how much he truly enjoys it.

I'll let you know how he does and want to hear about your on track exploits as we go along.

Thanks Again!!!
Old 26 May 2005, 20:32 (Ref:1311054)   #47
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Great to hear
Old 28 Jun 2005, 16:34 (Ref:1342131)   #48
Rushy
Racer

United Kingdom
Rushy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks every1 i forgot mi pass thats y i havent been on. Im in minimax now and doing quite well. I race at Forest Edge And Clay because hallavington has closed
Old 17 Feb 2006, 13:14 (Ref:1525023)   #49
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
It pains me to ask but...

What actually is the best way, step by step, to get into karting?

I know it's probably one of the most overused questions on this forum history and i'm also sure you're probably sick of hearing it, but after College, I think it's time to go funding for it

I'm 19 and just want to get my foot in the door and see what I can do. I've only actually been karting about 8 times overall, but I've just always felt at home instantly in one and have killed my competition lol I went to Brentwood a few months ago and set a time 7 tenths down of the lap record on a **** about and I just couldn't help but think "Hmm, what if.."

So yeah, any tips/advice would be really appreciated people.

Thanks alot,

Selby
Old 17 Feb 2006, 16:31 (Ref:1525170)   #50
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess from what you have said you have driven only a 4stroke kart, in an arrive and drive chassis, at somewhere like lakeside???

The next step is to drive a proper kart, well one that actually is quick!!

For this i would try Club 100 (www.club100.co.uk) on one of there test days, where you do not need a kart license, or own any race kit,like suit and helmet, just turn up and drive!!!!

If you find you like driving these 2strokes then the next thing is either race in club100, where you do not have to own anything to do with the kart, or buy your own kart.

If you go the own kart route you need to look at www.karting.co.uk and look at where your local tracks are. Then get yourself down to the track and start talking to people, with regards to running a kart, how much to buy, etc, etc, etc

Hope that helps abit, but ask more questions if not....