Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 24 Oct 2009, 12:02 (Ref:2568635)   #1
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2010 GT2 in Europe: FIA vs. LMS vs. GT Open

What will be the GT2 series to follow next year?
FIA will be ProAm, so most of the works drivers will be in LMS?
Think GT Open could also be more attractive than SRO FIA GT2...
Old 24 Oct 2009, 13:01 (Ref:2568663)   #2
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
FIA European GT2 could be good series, and yes Pro-Am could bring the bests to Le Mans Series, as we wont see pairing like this year ; Westy/Collard, Bruni/Vilander, Bell/Kirkaldy....shame ! the Le Mans Series too has strong teams and drivers ! as for GT Open, never being fan of it...
Old 24 Oct 2009, 13:18 (Ref:2568673)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Isn't GT Open Pro-Am too?
Old 24 Oct 2009, 13:30 (Ref:2568679)   #4
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Correct, GT-Open is Pro-Am as well.
Old 24 Oct 2009, 13:54 (Ref:2568688)   #5
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But Ratel wants 50 kg additional ballast if you run a full pro driver independed of the status of the second driver. That will bring some pro driver out of job ...
Old 24 Oct 2009, 17:37 (Ref:2568783)   #6
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Is that any different than what we have now? I mean, don't the full pro cars already have 50kg ballast added anyway?
Old 24 Oct 2009, 17:42 (Ref:2568785)   #7
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Is that any different than what we have now? I mean, don't the full pro cars already have 50kg ballast added anyway?
AIUI, the new rules won't allow Platinum-Platinum-combinations and add 50kgs already when a Platinum-driver is paired with someone slower.
Old 24 Oct 2009, 21:12 (Ref:2568893)   #8
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT Open is pro-am already and Le Mans Series GT2 is rumoured to become pro-am like FIA GT2...

Guess we'll have to wait and see what solution they come up with...
Old 24 Oct 2009, 21:51 (Ref:2568911)   #9
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh why oh why could we not all have stuck with GT2 as a top class? Why have a class with works-built cars from Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette and BMW and no all-pro works driver lineups? Crazy. I thought GT Open and the various national GT3 championships had that niche filled already.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 09:02 (Ref:2569197)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
Oh why oh why could we not all have stuck with GT2 as a top class? Why have a class with works-built cars from Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette and BMW and no all-pro works driver lineups? Crazy. I thought GT Open and the various national GT3 championships had that niche filled already.
CMK for FIA president!
Old 25 Oct 2009, 15:57 (Ref:2569428)   #11
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Whats needed is a World GT Championship running just GT2 cars.

Limit the works cars to two per manufacturer and have an independents cup like the WTCC has.

re. tracks, I'd have the following (all 500km races unless stated):

1. San Luis 600km
*Sebring 12 Hours*
2. Silverstone 4 Hours
3. Algarve
4. Brno
5. Donington
6. Monza
*Le Mans 24 Hours*
7. Spa 24 Hours
8. Nurburgring
9. Mugello
10. Autopolis
*Petit Le Mans*
11. Interlagos 1000 Miles (Mil Milhas Brasilieras)
12. Eastern Creek 600km
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 25 Oct 2009, 16:08 (Ref:2569429)   #12
Speed-King
Veteran

Am I the only one who thinks that the GT2-reglement has one - with a lot of luck two - more good seasons in it, before it's going to collapse due to manufacturers outspending eachother?
The 1 million $ Corvettes (I am only slightly exaggerating) and Ferrari developing an Evo-version of their car during the season look like pretty alarming signals to me.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 16:34 (Ref:2569439)   #13
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that the GT2-reglement has one - with a lot of luck two - more good seasons in it, before it's going to collapse due to manufacturers outspending eachother?
The 1 million $ Corvettes (I am only slightly exaggerating) and Ferrari developing an Evo-version of their car during the season look like pretty alarming signals to me.
One year might be a bit pessimistic, but I agree in principle. It's going to get too expensive soon.
Old 25 Oct 2009, 16:38 (Ref:2569440)   #14
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
so let's enjoy it while it lasts .. like we did with the BPR and the late 90s GT1's ..
and hope we come to a situation like this again .. i guess it's just natural

Ciao Marco
Old 25 Oct 2009, 17:01 (Ref:2569454)   #15
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not so pessimistic about it. I see the rules lasting a few years. But who knows, these cycles are not uncommon to racing, not to mention it isn't exclusively cost that makes certain categories unpopular in the favor of manufacturers and teams alike. From my perspective, GT2 looks very healthy for the foreseeable future.

Chris
Old 27 Oct 2009, 12:16 (Ref:2570704)   #16
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think current GT2 will last three to four years at least. Taking into consideration that LMS will be the only series with all-pro lineups, that's what I'm going to pay most attention to. Probably followed by the FIA GT2 EC, expecting it to have a full and fairly diverse field.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 13:27 (Ref:2570757)   #17
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It´s impossible a world championshp without constructors and just with a pro-am championship because it´s a really expensive competition.

Fia gt is becoming to a suicidal/too-much-expensive championship with all those travels.GTopen is a pro-am european championship, like the old european fia GT. Euro open GT just replaced the old and needed Euro-Fia.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 22:08 (Ref:2571025)   #18
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
ALMS GT2 will stay all pro wright
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 28 Oct 2009, 02:08 (Ref:2571118)   #19
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is not IMSA's way to regulate the GT2 class to a pro-am format, especially when they have the Challenge classes for that. I think they devoutly want to take advantage of the strong factory presence and the entertainment that provides. They won't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Old 28 Oct 2009, 10:45 (Ref:2571312)   #20
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

SRO will struggle to get enough paying drivers who now have so many choices. This can only boost the already healthy LMS. I would like to see FIA GT2 run as this year without the rule for 2 pitstops, I might even say that it should not have an expectation to run 2 drivers if it stays at 2 hours?

Just imagine works drivers in these cars for a 2 hour straight race, it would make great TV as well
Old 28 Oct 2009, 14:42 (Ref:2571474)   #21
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post
Whats needed is a World GT Championship running just GT2 cars.

Limit the works cars to two per manufacturer and have an independents cup like the WTCC has.
That's very similar to the GT1 World Championship, except no works teams, the car rules and a few circuits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablocomics View Post
Fia gt is becoming to a suicidal/too-much-expensive championship with all those travels.
What did you expect of a World Championship, to race only in Europe? There are enough European grand touring series for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablocomics View Post
Euro open GT just replaced the old and needed Euro-Fia.
And what about the FIA European GT2 and GT3 Championships?
Old 7 Nov 2009, 10:15 (Ref:2577518)   #22
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.motorsport-magazin.com/mo...elfaeltig.html

Westbrook says it's not working, when the series becomes semi-professional. Am I right?

Besides, Richard will drive in ALMS, as I understand.
Old 7 Nov 2009, 11:33 (Ref:2577554)   #23
Dauer 962
Veteran

Dauer 962 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He says it would be a problem when not two pros will share one car as this could be negative for the series. And he isn’t not sure if the series works with a Pro-Am-concept.

ALMS is an option for him, as well s GT1-WC or FIA GT, he says he is open for everything, beside Supercup or Carrera Cup.
Old 7 Nov 2009, 18:36 (Ref:2577747)   #24
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
Richard will drive in ALMS, as I understand.
Richard will be doing many things next year
Old 6 Dec 2009, 21:39 (Ref:2595069)   #25
GT-Eins
Veteran

Germany
Hannover, Germany
GT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is there yet any idea or overview which teams may participate in next years FIA-GT2-EM ?

(I think I saw one list in this forum but cannot find that now)