Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 24 Oct 2016, 22:16 (Ref:3682589)   #1
JoshuaLeMans
Rookie

JoshuaLeMans should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daytona or Nurburgring or Spa 24 Hours

Next year, Me and my family are planning on going to 2 endurance races. If i'm honest I prefer 24 hour races. So we are planning to either head across the Atlantic to Daytona or to go to Germany for Nurburgring or to Belgium for Spa.

So what I'm looking for:
  • Cost
  • Support Races
  • Amount of racing
  • Access within paddock and pitlane
  • Campsites
  • Stuff to do in the town and at the track
  • Any tips?

If you could help me with the above that would be grateful. Thank you!

Joshua
Old 25 Oct 2016, 00:10 (Ref:3682613)   #2
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Start here for Daytona:
http://www.daytonainternationalspeed...t-Daytona.aspx

The airport is next to the track.

Check for hotels in Ormond Beach Fla. next to I-95.
They will be cheaper than the ones close to the track.
Ormond Beach is just 10 minutes from the track.

Forget camping in the track - its sold out. Just hotel it.

You will be able to get a paddock pass easily and the fan zone is awesome.

Here is another link to get some info:
http://www.daytonabeach.com/events/r...olex-24-hours/

Here is a decent hotel we have stayed at for the 24.
http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hot...BHX/index.html

Good luck !

Last edited by canamman; 25 Oct 2016 at 00:28.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 01:21 (Ref:3682631)   #3
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Daytona is great because you can see the whole track from the stands. Hotels there are reasonable because they have a whole lot of space there. Daytona is built to handle the 500 crowds and the spring breakers. Plus they got awesome GT grids at the race now.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 01:32 (Ref:3682633)   #4
kevin993
Rookie

kevin993 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daytona has the benefit of hotel supply (although getting in short supply at this point), proximity to the beach if you're looking for other distractions, close restaurants, decent infrastructure, and the ability to see a lot of the track. The black fencing is enough to drive you crazy, but there is good access in the paddock. Even if you can't get "in" pit lane, you can walk behind the chain link and get a good look.

Daytona can be very cold and the night is long, so don't presume that you're going for a warm Florida vacation.

N24 is a much different experience. It is a more difficult race to take in, but has a lot more depth - more to see. No prototypes, but 150+ cars in the main event across a number of GT and sportscar classes. Great access in the paddock, but no access to the pit lane. Hotels are impossible to come by - plan now. Camping is a huge event by itself and almost with the modest price of admission alone. Campers build scaffolding next to the track for viewing platforms, complete with mega stereo systems and televisions. Don't show up and expect to pick your spot along the fence though - the same groups camp in the same place every year.

The N24 track is huge and the race is almost impossible to keep up with. You'll take in the race from different spots on the track and you'll need to drive/walk to get to many of them. It is work, but rewarding. You won't be able to see it all in one year.

Weather is very unpredictable at the Ring. This year had sun, rain, hail, and finished in sun. Rain and fog are common. The support races are great and the vintage race is a particular highlight. There isn't anything else to do locally (except the Nurburg castle, Pistenklaus restaurant, and Adenau town center restaurants).

Probably tons more I could say about either one, but ask if you have more questions.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 03:16 (Ref:3682663)   #5
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you go to Daytona you can go to Disney World the next day. Or the beach. Also there's a place by the beach called Biggins you should check out.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 17:58 (Ref:3682807)   #6
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Where in the world are you based Joshua? (apologies if it says, I can't see on a mobile)
Old 25 Oct 2016, 18:00 (Ref:3682808)   #7
JoshuaLeMans
Rookie

JoshuaLeMans should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I live on the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides in Scotland.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 20:01 (Ref:3682835)   #8
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daytona is really easy. If you can get a flight into Daytona, then you are right next to the track. I have literally, got off the plane, walked to the track, spent a week there never leaving the track and then walked back over to airport.

Since you are coming from Scotland, look into the charter planes that fly into Sanford, FL. The majority of the airport is full of people from Europe on charter flights. From that airport, it's a 40 minute drive to the track.

For transportation, I'd use Uber. I do it here in the US and Europe. Never a problem. If you stay at a motel, I'd suggest over on the beach in Daytona. The place is a ghost town for the 24. Pick somewhere by the intersection of East International Speedway Blvd and A1A, you can walk to places to eat at night. It's a 15 minute ride to the track from there.

Sanford, Airport:
http://www.orlandosanfordairport.com/airlines.asp

A1A and East International Speedway Blvd.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.2219...7i13312!8i6656

Here's an entrance to the track (turn 4):
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.1928...7i13312!8i6656

Another one (turn 1):
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.1797...7i13312!8i6656

Where lots of racers and fans go:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.1738...7i13312!8i6656
Old 25 Oct 2016, 20:09 (Ref:3682836)   #9
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaLeMans View Post
I live on the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides in Scotland.
Then you should consider Spa.

It's a fabulous week - starting with a parade of cars and drivers from the circuit to Spa town on the Wednesday afternoon preceeding the race. Touch the cars and speak to the drivers and teams.

Watch night practice at Eau Rouge and realise why this is one of the world's best corners.

The variable weather takes its part in scripting the race. Coming from the Hebrides, you'll be used to a bit of wet.

The race brings joy and heartbreak in equal measure. This year teams were eliminated at 23 hours and 30 minutes by a late shower, but Rowe Racing didn't put a foot out of place and brought their Beemer M6 to the top step.

Rock concerts, moules et frites and Trappist beers complete your enjoyment!
Old 25 Oct 2016, 20:09 (Ref:3682837)   #10
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post
For transportation, I'd use Uber. I do it here in the US and Europe. Never a problem.
Unless you're in Germany, where taxi drivers need a special license, which lead to Uber being banned by the courts.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 23:06 (Ref:3682866)   #11
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I flew to Orlando (don't bother trying to get to the airport next to Daytona if you're coming from Europe) and hired a car. About an hour's drive to where I was staying in Ormond Beach, as somebody has already suggested. Very cheap and easy to find places, I booked only a few weeks before the event.

Support races are limited at Daytona, which is unfortunate, but not many championships start their year in January. The CTSCC race is slightly longer on the Friday afternoon next year.

The night does get chilly but considering you're coming from Scotland, I'd take Daytona in January over Nurburging or Spa any day if you want to be (almost) guaranteed nice warm weather during the day.

Also Spa and Nurburgring are a nightmare to get round; Daytona is not, and obviously has plenty of seating and you'll struggle to find better facilities at many other tracks around the world.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 07:12 (Ref:3682905)   #12
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus_r View Post
I flew to Orlando (don't bother trying to get to the airport next to Daytona if you're coming from Europe) and hired a car. About an hour's drive to where I was staying in Ormond Beach, as somebody has already suggested. Very cheap and easy to find places, I booked only a few weeks before the event.
It's been a decade since I last did the Rolex event, but I flew to Daytona and found it easy. Edinburgh - Newark - Daytona.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 13:11 (Ref:3683011)   #13
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
It's been a decade since I last did the Rolex event, but I flew to Daytona and found it easy. Edinburgh - Newark - Daytona.
It was the cheapest option for me and I'd rather fly direct and just drive an hour up the road. Also there are probably far more car hire options at Orlando. But everybody's situation will obviously be different.
Old 26 Oct 2016, 14:19 (Ref:3683034)   #14
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin993 View Post
Daytona has the benefit of hotel supply (although getting in short supply at this point), proximity to the beach if you're looking for other distractions, close restaurants, decent infrastructure, and the ability to see a lot of the track. The black fencing is enough to drive you crazy, but there is good access in the paddock. Even if you can't get "in" pit lane, you can walk behind the chain link and get a good look.
During the Grand-Am days hotel supply wasn't a problem. There was plenty of them to choose when I was there in 2013 (can't remember did I book my accommodation in August or September). Not sure how things are now, shouldn't be a problem since the city can handle much more popular NASCAR events.

Quote:
Daytona can be very cold and the night is long, so don't presume that you're going for a warm Florida vacation.
That's a good point, in January the weather's not really what most European people think of Florida vacation. Daytime can be pleasant with low 70F temperatures but nights are still cold.