Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 5 Nov 2004, 06:01 (Ref:1145299)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Tarso Marques back in the Coyne Fold

It seems that jarek janis will not drive for dale Coyne in mexico this weekend and neither will his former driver Gaston Mazzacane.

But Tarso Marques who started the season with Coyne has rejoined the team for the season finale.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...le.asp?ID=8517
Old 5 Nov 2004, 06:07 (Ref:1145301)   #2
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He'll really do a great job.....NOT! That's a real strange decision.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 06:37 (Ref:1145303)   #3
mitchie
Racer

Australia
mitchie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by stmookeyj033
He'll really do a great job.....NOT! That's a real strange decision.
I feel quite the opposite on this.

He knows the team and has driven the car - unlike any other option they could have had.

Tarso isnt a bad steerer all in all, he did qualify 10th in his last start (Monterrey) after all, just one spot behind Oriol
Old 5 Nov 2004, 08:11 (Ref:1145340)   #4
dubby99
Racer

dubby99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes Mitchie i have the same veiw as you.
Tarso isn't a bad driver at all, he is a good driver and i actually recon he will put in a decent result in the finale.

If there was any driver that i would not want in this series it will have to Gaston Mazzacane, he is just slow and goofy behind the wheel, remember at Vancouver when he smashed his car got out and was laughing.

I don't like knocking racing drivers at all but i can't take Gaston serious enough to be a race car driver in the champcar world series.

But anyway I hope he and Tarso has a good result in the final.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 08:22 (Ref:1145345)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Mazzacane wont be driving in mexico ?
Old 5 Nov 2004, 09:44 (Ref:1145398)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No, he won't.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 10:32 (Ref:1145429)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He was never going to be. His money for the season has ran out, and although he's likely to drive for them next year, he decided to step aside to allow other drivers a chance to stake their claim to being his team-mate in 2005. Incidentally, I'd rate Tarso someway about Gaston, he's certainly faster and better-behaved on the track.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 11:00 (Ref:1145439)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tarso qualified a Minardi in about 13th place at the 1996 Argentine Grand Prix at the age of 19 or 20 - he is good.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 11:05 (Ref:1145443)   #9
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Tarso qualified a Minardi in about 13th place at the 1996 Argentine Grand Prix at the age of 19 or 20 - he is good.
1996?! Whoopee! Means jackshizen now.

In fact, name 5 decent RACE finishes he has had since then?

And also, didn't he leave because he thought the car and team was a lemon?
Old 5 Nov 2004, 11:27 (Ref:1145454)   #10
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look, mate, Tarso has never driven anything better than Coyne prepared cars or Minardis in F1 (or ancient Penske PC27s in 1999, the 4th best car back then). So I think that given the machinery he has had he has done fine enough. I rate him way above GastĂłn. Tarso used to keep the Minardi off the walls, GastĂłn didn't. And he was a top driver in F3000, finishing second behing Vincenzo Sospiri (who never got a chance at F1). I don't think Tarso is that bad.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 13:15 (Ref:1145509)   #11
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually Mazzacane finished more laps than all but 3 other drivers in his one full F1 season. While I agree that Tarso is the better driver - the early part of his CV is hugely impressive, especially considering his age - Gaston was always steady but slow in F1. As mentioned above, Tarso got closer to Servia at the start of the season than Gaston did at any time. I was hoping Janis would get another chance, but at least a reasonable driver will be in the car.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 15:27 (Ref:1145588)   #12
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please, can't we just conclude that neither is very good?
Old 5 Nov 2004, 15:32 (Ref:1145590)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

No, because that would be totally unfair on Marques.

Mazzacane's been rubbish in whatever he's driven, Marques has won many races.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 15:46 (Ref:1145598)   #14
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed KB. Ironically, Marques' profile on F1 Rejects is a great source of evidence of this - detailling his acheivements in lower formulae at a young age, and the fact that his struggle with poor hardware in both F1 and CART still yielded some impressive moments. With the right tutelage Tarso's speed could be tidied up a little more; Mazzacane's (moderate) tidiness will always be slow.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 17:18 (Ref:1145646)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Marques is a really good driver compared to Mazzacane - he's already proved that he can go a good job in the right team. I hope he gets a full season to prove himself at some point.
Old 6 Nov 2004, 00:15 (Ref:1145890)   #16
dubby99
Racer

dubby99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard from F1 racing magazine some time ago that when Gaston was on the track you could tell that he was never on the limit, you could hear that he was braking way to early, getting on the gas to late never near the limits of an F1 car.
Old 6 Nov 2004, 00:19 (Ref:1145891)   #17
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Tarso Marques back in the Coyne Fold

Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
But Tarso Marques who started the season with Coyne has rejoined the team for the season finale.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...le.asp?ID=8517
Hopefully, the safety team will have a chat with Tarso before the race to review the proper procedures for towing a stalled Champ Car.

Ted

Old 6 Nov 2004, 04:43 (Ref:1145941)   #18
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not sure what to think of Marques. I will mention for comparison, Marques is much more on the pace in Mexico than Mazzacanne has been all season.
Old 6 Nov 2004, 10:36 (Ref:1146020)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
When's the last time both Dale Coyne cars beat cars from the likes of Walker and Rocketsports? Tarso's been really impressive so far, and it also shows how far the team has come this year - it just needed a better drive rin teh second car to prove it.
Old 6 Nov 2004, 14:56 (Ref:1146117)   #20
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's a lot to live up to in that Servia consistantly shows the potential of a Coyne car, but if he shows similar pace as his teammate this weekend, then I will think favourably of him!

The jury's out, in mexico!
Old 6 Nov 2004, 17:34 (Ref:1146169)   #21
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we all are forgetting that talent doesnt mean a thing at Coyne as a popular hollywood movie puts it its all about the benjamins at coyne.