Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Jul 2018, 09:36 (Ref:3834555)   #1151
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
I predict a grand total of 0 of these things will happen.

Well, at least one of your predictions has come true. He didn't even last that long before he "resigned"!
Old 4 Jul 2018, 09:39 (Ref:3834556)   #1152
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerPixel View Post
If you think Brown is responsible for the car being slow you're nuts IMO.

That's like saying Mr Warburton is responsible when your toast doesn't come out right.
If Mr Warburton was in charge of hiring the staff who designed the toaster then it would be.

Brown is in charge. The operation is not going that well. It always comes back to the boss.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 09:58 (Ref:3834563)   #1153
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Eric Boullier has just resigned.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...ing-chief-role
Old 4 Jul 2018, 10:02 (Ref:3834564)   #1154
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
If Mr Warburton was in charge of hiring the staff who designed the toaster then it would be.

Brown is in charge. The operation is not going that well. It always comes back to the boss.
I take your point. For some reason I thought he was in charge of Mclaren as a whole, including road cars. I should get my facts straight before I start making bread-based analogies.

I still think the problem is more than just down to a bad boss though. They've got an advanced facility filled with clever and skilled people, and experience. Those things have all been around for longer than Zak.

Can you take a sabbatical from F1? A season off to regroup seems like a good idea.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 10:15 (Ref:3834570)   #1155
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
If you think Brown is responsible for the car being slow you're nuts IMO.
From McLaren's website:

'As Chief Executive of McLaren Racing, Zak Brown has overall responsibility for the business, including strategic direction, operational performance, marketing and commercial development. In his role Zak leads McLaren’s direction and involvement in professional motorsport, spearheaded by the McLaren Formula 1 team.'

So if the car is slow, its as a result of his direction.....
Old 4 Jul 2018, 10:16 (Ref:3834571)   #1156
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Being orange at least the car is a highly visible mobile chicane.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 10:48 (Ref:3834579)   #1157
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So Boullier has left. Wonder where he will go now? Let’s see what de Ferran does now
Old 4 Jul 2018, 11:39 (Ref:3834587)   #1158
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Did someone mention toast?
Old 4 Jul 2018, 11:41 (Ref:3834588)   #1159
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Huh, I haven't seen anything of Gil de Ferran since his involvement with BAR Honda.
He didn't really do much then, if i remember it right, so I wonder why he's even in the picture for a spot at McLaren.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 11:41 (Ref:3834589)   #1160
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I take your point. For some reason I thought he was in charge of Mclaren as a whole, including road cars. I should get my facts straight before I start making bread-based analogies.

I still think the problem is more than just down to a bad boss though. They've got an advanced facility filled with clever and skilled people, and experience. Those things have all been around for longer than Zak.

Can you take a sabbatical from F1? A season off to regroup seems like a good idea.
I totally agree that the problem is more than a bad boss. Unfortunately I'm yet to be able to offer a better solution, lol. You see it in other businesses as well, where the boss is always to blame - but sometimes it really isn't their fault.

Whether that's true of Brown or not, I don't know.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 11:45 (Ref:3834591)   #1161
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Huh, I haven't seen anything of Gil de Ferran since his involvement with BAR Honda.
He didn't really do much then, if i remember it right, so I wonder why he's even in the picture for a spot at McLaren.
his daughter is going out with vandoorne
Old 4 Jul 2018, 12:02 (Ref:3834593)   #1162
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
his daughter is going out with vandoorne
Now that just won't do at all.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 12:07 (Ref:3834594)   #1163
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Ex-ChampCar driver, tested F1, wealthy French/Brazilian, big buddy of Zak’s.

I wonder which got him the job?
Old 4 Jul 2018, 12:16 (Ref:3834598)   #1164
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
"Our structure and ways of working is what has got us to where we are today," said Brown.

Very true. Most particularly for the last couple of years!
Old 4 Jul 2018, 12:43 (Ref:3834604)   #1165
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
It is sad to see two the historic and formally dominant teams of Williams and McLaren stuck at the back, and struggling to even compete with midfield teams. The glory days seem a long time ago.

Having one person leave is not going to change anything significantly.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 12:55 (Ref:3834608)   #1166
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
It is sad to see two the historic and formally dominant teams of Williams and McLaren stuck at the back, and struggling to even compete with midfield teams. The glory days seem a long time ago.

Having one person leave is not going to change anything significantly.
I wouldn't say McLaren are stuck at the back but they've very much become a midfield team. Alonso is currently 8th, with Vandoorne 16th, out of 20 drivers in the WDC and McLaren are 6th in the WCC.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 13:00 (Ref:3834609)   #1167
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>Having one person leave is not going to change anything significantly.

It's not going to be one though is it? McLaren and Williams will both be shedding staff, it's just there's not one single "Night of the Long Knives."

I wondered why G de F was chosen, thanks for the background info. ZB seems to be surrounding himself with acolytes, never a good decision when what you've done so far hasn't arrested the rot. I can't see McLaren climbing back from this in the short term, next year they'll be racing Williams for the Wooden Spoon.

Maybe the answer is a McWilliams "Super Team" with all the sacked scapegoats getting together.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 4 Jul 2018, 13:24 (Ref:3834610)   #1168
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
He was a member of the ICONIC committee, back in 2010, which oversaw the development of a new car, to replace IndyCar's ageing Dallara IR-05. IndyCar ended up with the DW-12. He also merged his IndyCar team with Luczo Dragon Racing in 2010, to become De Ferran Dragon Racing but subsequently folded the following year. Otherwise I don't think he has done anything since.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 13:52 (Ref:3834616)   #1169
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's been advising McLaren on Indycar and was heavily involved in the Indy 500 project last year.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 14:00 (Ref:3834620)   #1170
ASCII Man
Veteran

So not an acquisition based on performance, but rather through connections.
I can already tell that this will go swimmingly, I mean, what could possibly go wrong?
Old 4 Jul 2018, 14:01 (Ref:3834621)   #1171
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
It's amazing how media perception clouds things. McLaren are not doing great but they are doing much better than last year, and are comfortably beating the team that took their engines. Their biggest problem is the gap to the other Renault powered teams.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 14:15 (Ref:3834625)   #1172
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
McLaren are struggling but compared to last season they are doing alright. At least they are competing with the midfield teams.

Gil de Ferran has at least experience with running his own team in America, so could do a good job managing McLaren
Old 4 Jul 2018, 14:17 (Ref:3834626)   #1173
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
de Ferran Motorsport finished second in ALMS in 2009.

I don't see the issue here.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 15:46 (Ref:3834643)   #1174
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
last week, and in response to Whitmarsh's comments, they had EB out there saying that all was good a Woking...this week he has fallen on his sword.

clearly something had to give but how many others will leave the team now?

i would assume that more changes and rebuilding are forthcoming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer65 View Post
He's been advising McLaren on Indycar and was heavily involved in the Indy 500 project last year.
he might be the right guy to convince Alonso to stay on for another year.
Old 4 Jul 2018, 16:38 (Ref:3834651)   #1175
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
last week, and in response to Whitmarsh's comments, they had EB out there saying that all was good a Woking...this week he has fallen on his sword.

clearly something had to give but how many others will leave the team now?

i would assume that more changes and rebuilding are forthcoming.

he might be the right guy to convince Alonso to stay on for another year.
Or it's already decided behind closed doors and he's here to ensure the McLaren IndyCar project runs smoothly.