Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Dec 2017, 21:32 (Ref:3786658)   #961
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i don't want to be that guy, but a few years ago before he became fashionable to cheer for, he was the butt of the jokes for taking a very long time to win the f3 title. and that was with prema...
Hey, you're that guy 🙂

He has come on very nicely the last few years though, performing well in everything.

All said, it would be a risk with Stroll in the other car, still with lots to learn. Kubica is the romantic choice but Wehrlein the sensible one imo.
Old 12 Dec 2017, 22:41 (Ref:3786677)   #962
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
Hey, you're that guy 🙂

He has come on very nicely the last few years though, performing well in everything.

All said, it would be a risk with Stroll in the other car, still with lots to learn. Kubica is the romantic choice but Wehrlein the sensible one imo.
just had to say it!

don't think sirotkin will disgrace himself, and i think wehrlein's whined himself out of formula one. anyone who's making out like there's an obvious answer to this is making it up though.
Old 12 Dec 2017, 22:49 (Ref:3786678)   #963
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i don't want to be that guy, but a few years ago before he became fashionable to cheer for, he was the butt of the jokes for taking a very long time to win the f3 title. and that was with prema...
He was with Mucke originally.

With Prema, he won the title immediately, 16 poles and 13 wins.
Old 12 Dec 2017, 23:03 (Ref:3786681)   #964
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
He was with Mucke originally.

With Prema, he won the title immediately, 16 poles and 13 wins.
Yeah, but that was his fifth or sixth year at F3 level.
Granted, he did finish in the top 3 twice prior to that, but the fact remains that if any F1 team thought he was genuinely good enough, he'd have been in (and quite possibly out of) F1 by now.
Old 12 Dec 2017, 23:23 (Ref:3786683)   #965
Skam85
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, SA
Skam85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wehrlein must have a shocker of a rep in the paddock for him to be not considered firstly for FI, and now for Williams after losing his seat in the slowest team. Sounds like he's di Resta-ed himself. Shame really, because he got the results for Sauber when the opportunity presented themselves. He didn't blow Ericsson out of the water though, which I'm sure didn't help.
Old 12 Dec 2017, 23:48 (Ref:3786691)   #966
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!
Nasr did a better job against Ericsson than Wehrlein it seems.

But then Ericsson isn't bog slow. He has always been fast just not very consistent.
Old 13 Dec 2017, 00:31 (Ref:3786699)   #967
Skam85
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, SA
Skam85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree, Ericsson isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be. If he holds his own against Leclerc next year, that will be three years in a row he's measured admirably against highly-rated teammates.
Old 13 Dec 2017, 11:10 (Ref:3786792)   #968
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes Ericsson is talented, he didn't do too bad in junior formula, but he has never really made the most of it
Old 13 Dec 2017, 11:50 (Ref:3786796)   #969
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Kiribati
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ericsson is a good driver...
Old 13 Dec 2017, 13:09 (Ref:3786810)   #970
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRWill2073 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
Money talks. Williams are a shadow of a once great team. Frank has no input to who drives either.

Williams RIP.
Full disclosure, I did not watch the documentary, but I read the thread about the Williams documentary, with discussion of frank being so cold to his family and never going on vacation with them, etc, and I can't help but smile and appreciate what Claire Williams is doing. She is taking a cold, calculated approach to running the f1 team as a businees despite results, rather than as a passion, the same way frank apparently approached his family. It's like Frank's influence on Claire has led to Claire taking what he loved and treating it the way frank treated what claire wished he had loved more.

Bottom line, I'm becoming more and more of a Claire Williams fan. Still think stroll is a joke, though...
Old 13 Dec 2017, 14:15 (Ref:3786823)   #971
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Bottom line, I'm becoming more and more of a Claire Williams fan. Still think stroll is a joke, though...
The team would be bonkers to ignore the cash that Stroll Snr showers on Williams. One needs to bear in mind that, apart from the silly money that they are paying for his race seat, they have also been paid somewhere in the region of $60 million per year (two at least, so far) to give Jnr the ability of private testing in two of their 2014 cars.

How could you turn that down, because it must be going straight back into the running of the team. Possibly part of the reason that Williams have made the technical hires recently that they have.
Old 13 Dec 2017, 16:23 (Ref:3786841)   #972
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Full disclosure, I did not watch the documentary, but I read the thread about the Williams documentary, with discussion of frank being so cold to his family and never going on vacation with them, etc, and I can't help but smile and appreciate what Claire Williams is doing. She is taking a cold, calculated approach to running the f1 team as a businees despite results, rather than as a passion, the same way frank apparently approached his family. It's like Frank's influence on Claire has led to Claire taking what he loved and treating it the way frank treated what claire wished he had loved more.
That's an interesting perspective. Mine is similar, but maybe simpler. I think maybe both Frank and Claire just do what is needed to keep the team afloat first. That there is always a long view of "survivability", but also with the shorter term goal of success on track. In that respect maybe they are both very similar.

What I can't speak to is how much "drive" Claire has vs. Frank. And given the narrative of Frank's personality from the documentary, maybe not being "exactly" like Frank might be a good thing! (Nothing against Frank, here, but maybe I wouldn't want to be his spouse or young child!)

Another thought is that... maybe "Williams F1" needed someone like Frank with his laser focus to get to this point in the early days. But today, maybe not so much? Not to say they can relax, but my point is that the "optimal" leadership style may change over time given various factors.

Even with Patrick Head eventually being a strong partner, it seemed Williams was mostly a two person show (from a leadership perspective). Holding it all together via force of will. Today, teams can have a deeper management structure/leadership team that doesn't require everyone to be "on" 24/7.

Richard
Old 13 Dec 2017, 17:54 (Ref:3786851)   #973
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Kiribati
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
So much for the story last year of Martini wanting a "mature" driver for the Williams as they advertise alcohol then...that was cobblers..
They could have Massa back as a testdriver, in order to fill that role...
Old 13 Dec 2017, 18:11 (Ref:3786857)   #974
djinvicta
Subscriber
Veteran

Wales
French France
djinvicta should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjinvicta should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjinvicta should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
They could have Massa back as a testdriver, in order to fill that role...

Please no....what a thought.
Old 13 Dec 2017, 18:17 (Ref:3786860)   #975
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the interesting comparison for Williams is Force India, Williams have the same engine and a much larger budget but can't compete anywhere near the level of Force India.