Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 21 Jan 2002, 17:59 (Ref:202209)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
ALL FORUM USERS: Please Read

It has been suggested to me that the Indy Racing forum should follow the example set by the Touring Car forums on this site and split into two - one forum for Cart, the other for IRL.

I would like your comments - sensible ones only please - on this subject. Please post them here.
Old 21 Jan 2002, 18:27 (Ref:202217)   #2
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the first forum that I've sen the CART & IRL forum rolled into one, from reading other forums the fan base is divided, or rather the most vocal in each respective fan base is devided!

If there are two seperate forums, it means that people who like to write constructive arguments about one of the series can do so, without being shouted down.

It'll make it easier to nip trouble in the bud!
Old 21 Jan 2002, 18:33 (Ref:202222)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
The thing which worries me is that there will not be enough people participating to make this change work. Granted, it doesn't seem to be working lately anyway (!) but I wonder if this will be worse after a split ?
Old 21 Jan 2002, 18:52 (Ref:202236)   #4
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's a good idea. Before we were all mostly CART fans, some of us watch the IRL and comment on the races but generally agree on the IRL/CART issues. Lately there seems to be more pro IRL, anti CART input causing some heat!
I would post in the IRL half when the racing gets underway, I'm sure others would too.
Old 21 Jan 2002, 18:54 (Ref:202240)   #5
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I fear this could lead to other things happening.

When Premier F1 start in 2003, do we split F1?

NASCAR and ASCAR are put together.

Sportscars has all series in one, when there is ALMS, Le Mans, FIA GT, FIA SCC, British GT and All Japan GT.

Its a good idea, but not sure I'd prefer it.
Old 21 Jan 2002, 19:19 (Ref:202260)   #6
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Indy Racing" needs the traffic. Splitting it would kill both the siamese twins.
Old 21 Jan 2002, 19:33 (Ref:202274)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by hakkiman
When Premier F1 start in 2003, do we split F1?
LOL

Surely if one thing should be learnt from the Indy Racing forum is that a split doesn't help anyone!?!

However it is true that there is a lot of bad mouthing one of the series on subjects that aren't relevant. Normally goes something like
-"How much torque does a CART engine produce?"

followed by
-"CART is pants"

with the retort
-"No IRL is double pants".

To be fair this happens everywhere, check out the F1 forum.

I think Tristan is probably right. How many posts does the Indy Racing forum get?

Anyway it could be worse, what if the Indy Racing and NASCAR forums were amalgamated!
Old 21 Jan 2002, 19:42 (Ref:202287)   #8
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Difficult question. I don't care much for the CART vs. IRL slanging matches that have been of late, and have stayed well out of them. I respect both series, though I naturally prefer CART, since this is the only of the two series that are broadcast where I live. If I could watch the IRL races, I would definitely do so, but since I can't, I wouldn't expect to post much in such a forum. I would mainly stick to the CART side of things. I haven't posted so much in the Indy forum in the off-season, much due to the hostility that has been around, but expect to post more when the season starts.
Old 21 Jan 2002, 23:59 (Ref:202481)   #9
jb
Rookie

jb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Until recently there had not been much slanging between IRListas and CARTisans...seemed like most folks on either side just politely avoided those topics they might find offensive.

I would, however, suggest changing the forum title since the term IndyCar will soon revert legally to the folks in Indianapolis and something less politicized might be appropriate.
Old 22 Jan 2002, 01:18 (Ref:202515)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Ive been thinking about this ...and I still dont know how I feel.

I do like both series and would participate in both forums , if there is a subject getting out of hand I do tend to stay away from it.

I do like it the way it is however , beeing able to read topics on both forms in the one area instead of jumping to another area(I know only one click away , but hey my muse is a huge 25 centremetres away from me )

whatever the outcome is , I am willing to perticipate in both forums but would prefer it to stay the way it is unless it gets unmanagable.
Old 22 Jan 2002, 02:49 (Ref:202546)   #11
Arneal
Racer

Arneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with everything the beer baron said.

I used to like the forum quite a bit, first as a lurker than as a participant. To my surprise the concept of combining the CART and IRL forums seemed to work reasonably well, but recently the forum has become largely a massive CART vs IRL food fight.

I now rarely read that forum.
Old 22 Jan 2002, 15:51 (Ref:202734)   #12
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Disregard my previous comment. Now that Eurosport is going to show week delayed highlights of the IRL races, I am going to follow that series, and I will post in an IRL forum.

Yes! Split them!
Old 22 Jan 2002, 16:05 (Ref:202742)   #13
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R, don't forget that CART's TV deal still has to be arranged, as is typical it normally isn't worked out until the last minute!

More racing for us all to see, which is good
Old 22 Jan 2002, 16:26 (Ref:202756)   #14
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think that the forum should be split. With Penske joining the IRL, CART teams entering Indy, and a commonality in the engine rules in the near future, news from one series affects the other now more than ever.

There will always be debate as long as there are two series, and splitting the two forums will not stop that debate, it will only dilute the current forum, and the IRL forum may be shy of participants.

The name, Indy Racing Forum, however should be changed, as CART is not legally supposed to be referred to as 'Indy Racing' since Tony George discontinued the license for CART to use the moniker IndyCar.
Old 22 Jan 2002, 16:52 (Ref:202767)   #15
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
[i]Originally posted by SevenGrain

The name, Indy Racing Forum, however should be changed, as CART is not legally supposed to be referred to as 'Indy Racing' since Tony George discontinued the license for CART to use the moniker IndyCar. [/B]
This is correct, but people are already confused as to which series is which. Perhaps "Indy style" racing would be a better heading.
Old 22 Jan 2002, 17:00 (Ref:202774)   #16
R
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by The Beer Baron
R, don't forget that CART's TV deal still has to be arranged, as is typical it normally isn't worked out until the last minute!
Yeah well... we'll see what happens. I remember the 2000 season though, we only had highlights and no live races. Last year was "back to normal" again in that sense. We're used to seeing the CART races live, so that's how we want them. If I have to settle for less, I'll be very vocal about it!
Old 22 Jan 2002, 17:21 (Ref:202783)   #17
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Craig, I highly recommend splitting the forums in two because the two series are competing against one another. There is a lot of ill feelings amongst the fans of the two series because one feels that the other has destroyed open wheel racing in North America. You will have a smoother flowing bulletin board with the two being separated.

By creating and IRL board, you can also make the IRL forum a World of Outlaws and USAC sprint car forum too because the traditional path of a USAC sprint car driver ahd been to move up to the IRL or the World of Outlaws. I would participate more in a separated forum where I could be free of some of the negative IRL-CART split BS. I don't mind a thread that challenges your beliefs and provokes a good argument but grow tired of the same old same ole. Overall, I prefer being surrounded by enthusiasts rather than sour people. Very few IRListas hang out on this forum for these same reasons. So a split will actually increase participations in the forum as a whole.

Last edited by Joe Fan; 22 Jan 2002 at 17:27.
Old 22 Jan 2002, 17:28 (Ref:202790)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm in favour of splitting the forum into Champ Cars and IRL (or you can keep that one for "Indy Racing" if that group prefer it) -- I'm very tired of starting to read what looks like a good Champ Car thread and seeing "If CART even exists after 2003" posted by someone of the IRL persuaasion, which they seem to find necessary to do in every pro-Champ-Car thread.

If the forum is split, then people who enjoy both series can post in both fora and those of us who prefer one or the other can stay where we feel happy.

The Sports Car scene is split into a lot of groups, but there are no factions involved there, that I am aware of.
Old 22 Jan 2002, 17:35 (Ref:202796)   #19
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have no problem with splitting the forum. It might make it more constructive to do so. I think we might also discourage any slanging matches breaking out as well. I would love to chat up anyone about the US grassroots open wheel racing, but I think most fans have not seen or do not have access to these events. I would be willing to work to get it going however.
Old 22 Jan 2002, 17:45 (Ref:202799)   #20
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YES! Please do it.

Recently, everone has been slgging each othe off (and it seems to me that generally the CART fans are provoking the IRL fans.

If I went into the Touring Car forum and started spouting off about how rubbish it was compared to F1, ten i would soon be chased off. Hopefully splitting these could lead to this situation here, insted of just upsetting everyone.
Old 22 Jan 2002, 19:33 (Ref:202847)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd say we should split it, as the feuding has become childish. Generally it seems that IRL has the msot support from the US, with CART much more popular in Europe, and clearly American forces are the most involved in current circumstances. Two seperate forums would mean more serious discussion and less bickering. It'd be our task to set enough conversation ourselves.
Old 23 Jan 2002, 07:37 (Ref:203054)   #22
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I know this sounds dumb, but I'll ask the question anyway. Is it a lot of work to do to introduce another forum for IRL? If not, than you could split the two on a trial basis, and if it doesn't work, in that one forum just fades away, then you could re-combine the two later.
Old 23 Jan 2002, 13:51 (Ref:203193)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indy racing is not my bag, but I feel I must respond to Valve Bounce's outrageous suggestion.

Split the forum on a trial basis?

Complete and utter poppycock.

How on earth can we be expected to take such a sensible suggestion seriously...........

Old 23 Jan 2002, 14:13 (Ref:203203)   #24
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can split the forum, or you can have the person I believe is talked about in this article posting as a "race official" and "journalist",slamming the IRL on a daily basis.

http://www.racingpress.com/stories.p.../01/21/2499666

Last edited by Dr. Austin; 23 Jan 2002 at 14:21.
Old 23 Jan 2002, 16:33 (Ref:203250)   #25
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
"Indy Racing" needs the traffic. Splitting it would kill both the siamese twins.
Something I never thought I'd ever write: I agree w/ Tristan.

There are too many topics which concern both series, or even all open wheel racing. I'm afraid splitting further would discourage discussions about open wheel racing in general. It would also limit the audience for such a topic to one faction or the other.

I don't care for the bitter slanging matches either, especially when done as a bait or a joke, or even a doctoral thesis (you know who you are), but I'd rather deal with that than have open wheel racing so factionalized we all end up talking to ourselves.

That's it! I want a "Neil C forum", so I never have to deal with those people that are not, well, Neil C.