Old 18 May 2006, 14:50 (Ref:1613533)   #76
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
I remember attending a failed F3 many years ago, and pulled the master switch on that occasion. This was easily confirmed as the red light went out. When we returned, we discovered the electric dash was still on. Turned out they didn't want to risk losing the data, so had connected it directly and not through the master.
I had a similar incident with an F3 in 2000. In a multiple accident at Oultons old hall one of the cars was spewing fuel out through a split fuel line. I turned the external switch off only to find that the fuel was still being pumped out. On going back to the car (reluctantly as there was a lot of fuel and a hot exhaust) I could hear the fuel pump running and was only able to stop the flow of fuel by leaning inside the cockpit and locating the internal cut off switch. That incident was also reported to race control for the srutineers to check. Never heard the outcome though.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 18 May 2006, 15:19 (Ref:1613553)   #77
ian_c_uk
Racer

United Kingdom
J5 M61
ian_c_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
You need to do more clubbies! Don't worry too much about getting the electrics back on - if it's necessary, it's almost certain that the driver will still be there - let him (or her) do it.
I have no desire to turn it back on, just want to make bloody sure it's off to prevent being accused of strongman demonstrations!

At the next meet, the marshal walking away from the wreckage carrying a battery will be me.
Old 18 May 2006, 21:48 (Ref:1613820)   #78
Davie-c
Racer

Scotland
Armadale,Scotland
Davie-c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Perhaps it's something that should be part of scrutineering. Start the car, switch on everything electircal, pull the switch, let's see if anything's still on.
As a Trainee scrutineer we get the driver or 1 of his mechanics to turn the electric cut off to make sure it cuts out.We only get about 6 minutes to check a car so its possible that somethings are occasionally missed.If it is a push button cut off only push it once as if you push it again you'll set the fire extinguisher off.Mostly on F3,GTs and WRC rally cars.In they cars get the driver to do it if they are involved in an incident as it is their problem if they set the extinguisher off not yours.
Car Scrutineer
BMMC Member
Old 19 May 2006, 10:14 (Ref:1614111)   #79
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did a touring car meeting at Donington Park where the driver pulled up outside his garage at the end of race 1, I saw the lights were still on so I asked the mechanic to turn the electrics off as the driver was no where to be seen.

He duly pressed a button only to find a fountain of white foam in the cockpit and foam pouring onto the tarmac.

Needless to say the team then had a rush job on to clean the foam up, check the engine for damage and change the bottle once parc ferme had ended. The team manager was not impressed with his guy.

I the guys who build the cars cant turn the electrics off what chance have marshals got.
Old 19 May 2006, 11:01 (Ref:1614131)   #80
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Remember, the people that mechanic (in the lower levels) won't necessarily have built the cars....although I can see you're saying BTCC here. I've just started this season helping a Vee team out - I hadn't seen a Vee in the flesh until January this year, and I certainly haven't built the car! However I would know where the buttons are....

I've found, from Vee this year, the new drivers certainly don't know where everything is on the car - for example I found last weekend one of the Vee drivers didn't know where his master switch etc was. I did...so proceeded to show him.

If I was a marshal, I certainly wouldn't always expect the driver to know! From my experience of taking a car through scrutineering, we've always had to prove the electrics go off.
Old 19 May 2006, 12:13 (Ref:1614171)   #81
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something missed here is the state of the driver. If they have just hit the tyre wall it's likely the adrenaline is pumping hard and they may not be thinking as rationally as the marshals attending the scene. We had a FF1600 hit the wall at Lodge Out on the 2nd lap of qualifying last year. He was a top runner and very rightly gutted he'd made such a silly mistake, but the moment go the better of him and he didn't turn the electrics off. We did ask him several times if he was sure they were off as a small amount of fluid was leaking from the car, but his answer was always yes.

When the session finished and we went to recover it, first thing i checked was the dash and surprise surprise, it was still lit. In the end there are so many types of cars racing it's impossible for marshals to know where every switch is. We know where they *should* be, but without standardisation on the location and type of switch through all classes (which will never happen as it's just not feasible) we're always in a bit of a guesswork situation.

I don't like the button version myself, esp when you are trying to operate it with gloves on. The key switch used in the FF1600's is far easier to use and there's no "is it or isn't it" issue. Just my 2p...!
Old 19 May 2006, 12:55 (Ref:1614203)   #82
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I much prefer the 'remove the key' type switches. Obvious, easy to use, no danger of setting anything else off, and when it's out you can see it's out. Cheap and reliable too.
Old 21 May 2006, 21:56 (Ref:1615852)   #83
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Dean Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
to throw a different perspective on this topic, at cadwell today we had a morgan three wheeler spin and stall, electrics were shut off but the rear wet race light was still on. after the race finished i asked the driver if the kill switch killed everything, her reply was yes i then asked why then is the rear light on and was told that it had its own AA batteries and shown them
Old 25 May 2006, 12:29 (Ref:1618609)   #84
Alpha Charlie 6
Rookie

Alpha Charlie 6 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
J.W. having a ''rant'' What's new? HE OBVIOUSLY HAS NOT MELLOWED WITH AGE.

Shutting the hatch on a midget submarine comes back to mind!! (an in joke from about 1976!!!)