Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 20 Dec 2008, 20:33 (Ref:2358994)   #1
ALong
Rookie

ALong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RE: BMW M3 E36 Group N, looking for History

Hello all. Hoping someone can help me with some history on a car that I own. The car is a BMW E36 M3 Group N car. The car was built in 1997 by Steinlein Motorsports. From the FIA papers that I have, the rollcage/chassis work was done by Herrmann Motorsports in Munich. The chassis number is listed as BMW AD3. The car was built from a "body in white" chassis purchased from BMW Motorsports. Herrmann Motorsports installed a chromoly 16 point FIA cage similar to the BMW Motorsport/Matter cages, attaches to all the suspension pick-up points, welded to the A & B pillars etc. Steinlein Motorsports then assembled the car, to Group N spec, including a very trick Dual Fuel Cells (one in the original location under the rear seats and an auxillary cell in the trunk that feeds into the lower fuel cell where the pumps are located) with Carbon Fiber covers, apparently the lower fuel cell is BMW Motorsport part that at the time cost aprox $15k USD!. It also has a very neat BMW Motorsports/PI electronic Dash. The car was pretty much assembled using all the Group N parts from BMW Motorsports catalog.

The car was then raced in the Veedol Endurance series in Germany and is the veteran of at least 4 24 Hours of the Nurburgring. It also competed at the time in the FIA International Saloon Car Championship (ISCC) for Group N cars. From the research that I have been able to do it also raced in at least 1 24hrs of Spa. Unfortunately Dieter Steinlein, who ran the team, died several years ago, so my number 1 source for information is not available. The car itself is unique in that it was painted a bright Yellow (very close to Ferrari Fly Yellow) and the interior (rollcage, interior, engine bay, trunk) was painted a light shade of Purple! If anyone has seen this car, they would remember this! In period, this car was driven by Dieter Steinlein, Alfred Higer (a BMW fuel system engineer, who supposedly helped with the fuel system in this car) and was also rented out to drivers, possibly some Australian drivers for one of the 24hours of the Nurburgring. To confuse matters more, there is also a sister car, built at the same time that looks identical. Sometimes the car was entered under the banner of "Automobile Club Munchen" as it was for the following Spa 24hr entry (scroll to entry #34)

http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc...-06-photo.html

Any help on tracking down more history would be appreciated. The car was imported into the USA (along with it's sister car) in 2001. Currently the car is located in Seattle, Washington.
Old 26 Dec 2008, 16:38 (Ref:2361196)   #2
ALong
Rookie

Some more information on some of the drivers who drove the car. Rob Hicks and Kevin Bell, both from New Zealand, co-drove the car in the 24 hours of Spa in 1997 (?) and also co-drove the car in at least one of the 24 hours of the Nurburgring. I am hoping some of the experts on this board from "Down Under" may know one or the other.

Also Willie Moore from the UK drove the car several times. I know he still drives at the 24hrs of the Nurburgring and other races (I see his name constantly popping up in Autosport Magazine). Anyone in the UK know him?

Calling Ian Beckett (BMW Guru), any rare sources of info on this? (ie: period French, Belgium or German magazines with race results etc.)
Old 3 Jan 2009, 16:00 (Ref:2364572)   #3
ALong
Rookie

Anybody?

With all this wealth of knowledge on here, someone has got to have some period magazines with race results.
Old 20 Dec 2012, 05:28 (Ref:3180279)   #4
PjKiely
Rookie

PjKiely should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi there , I have the sister car , ad1. Located in Santa Cruz ca, give me a yell with what you have found out. Thanks PJ
Old 24 Sep 2013, 16:21 (Ref:3308809)   #5
ALong
Rookie

Pj,
I just sent you a PM. I knew your car was in California, just didn't konw who had it. Did you buy it off Bill Bentzen in Arizona? Contact me when you can, would love to compare notes.

Alex Long
Old 24 Sep 2013, 21:12 (Ref:3308911)   #6
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alex you could try PM Armco Bender in N.Z. re driver info.