Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 26 Jun 2005, 04:59 (Ref:1340208)   #1
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1000km of Silverstone or other events 13/14 August

Hi, I'm travelling to Europe shortly.... it's for work so I havent got total freedom to travel where and when I like, but have noticed I'm coming back through the UK, on or around the weekend of 13/14 August. I noticed the 1000km of Silverstone LMES race is on that weekend. Is anyone else going to that one?

Recommendations for accommodation, tickets, best places to watch or maybe other motorsports events that weekend would be appreciated? Just assume I know nothing about the tracks, the UK/Europe racing scene, or anything else.
Old 26 Jun 2005, 08:37 (Ref:1340263)   #2
nickandrews
Rookie

nickandrews should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The LMES is probably the best race to go to. There is plenty of time to watch from all around the circuit, it is a 6 hour race. Tickets can be bought from www.silverstone-circuit.co.uk and i';m not too sure about accomodation around silverstone.
Old 26 Jun 2005, 14:17 (Ref:1340383)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'll be marshalling for this one. Viewing around Silverstone is pretty good, and I think the grandstands are free for non-GP meetings (someone correct me if that doesn't still apply.) What sort of accomodation are you looking for? Hotels, bed and breakfast, borrow a tent?
Old 26 Jun 2005, 18:05 (Ref:1340439)   #4
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You will be far, far better going to the 750mc meeting at Mallory Park on the Sunday!
A lot cheaper to get in, better racing and you can see virtually the whole track from wherever you are!
Old 26 Jun 2005, 21:49 (Ref:1340582)   #5
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I will be going to both meetings...YAY!

If you've got a tent there is camping inside the circuit for the LMES meeting.
Old 27 Jun 2005, 13:08 (Ref:1341096)   #6
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks for all the feedback so far.... going to both races sounds like a good idea if I can fit it in.

One question for people that have previously ordered Silverstone tickets... do you have to have them delivered to your home address, or can you pick them up at the track? There isn't much point in getting them sent to my home address in NZ, as I'm likely to be leaving home before the tickets arrive.

I don't have a tent, so might be looking for a bed and breakfast or similar. Although could see that a tent could be the way to go with the race finishing late at night.
Old 27 Jun 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1341126)   #7
GeeBee2
Rookie

England
Bristol, England
GeeBee2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

The LMES race is brilliant, good access to the paddock, driver signing sessions, you can watch from anywhere around the circuit, we usually walk around the circuit a couple of times during a six hour race.

The race is Saturday night and the F3 and British GT's are on Sunday.

Good spots to watch are Luffield, Club and Abbey.

There are a couple of Travelodges fairly close but they may be fully booked. www.travelodge.co.uk. Try Towcester or Cherwell Valley. There is a Premier Travel Inn at the Green Man which is very close but may be booked up by now. Otherwise you want to look for accomodation in Northampton, plenty of reasonable hotels and a 10 minute drive away.

Regarding tickets, there is an option when you buy them to pick them up on site and the office to collect them from is in the car park.

Hope you have a good weekend!
Old 1 Jul 2005, 00:02 (Ref:1344344)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I may move a thread in sportscars here, but in the meantime check out the LMES discussion:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...43#post1344343
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 1 Jul 2005, 18:00 (Ref:1344894)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
buy the tickets at the track on the day.
Old 1 Jul 2005, 18:13 (Ref:1344910)   #10
nickandrews
Rookie

nickandrews should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only grandstands that were open last year were from the exit of the final corner to just before copse. The copse grandstandes werent open, but the small stand at abbey was. Anybody correct me if i'm wrong?
Old 2 Jul 2005, 14:33 (Ref:1345443)   #11
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anyone considering going, bite the bullet and get down there on the Saturday for the LMES race.

Last years event was superb.

This year should be bigger and better, on and off the track
Old 3 Jul 2005, 12:17 (Ref:1345906)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
and there's 3 british f3 races over the weekend, with some f3euroseries guest drivers too.

now all we need is the decent weather...
Old 3 Jul 2005, 13:38 (Ref:1345961)   #13
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
and there is also a two British GT race on the Sunday aswell.
Old 14 Aug 2005, 20:13 (Ref:1382159)   #14
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks to all those that gave advice... got to see the Silverstone LMES 1000km (or 6 hour as it turned out...) and support races on the Saturday and the British GT's on the Sunday too.

Would have been good to meet up with other ten-tenth'ers.... I guess there were others there... but didn't have internet access for the last few days so couldn't arrange anything.