Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 7 Feb 2008, 05:30 (Ref:2122996)   #151
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo
So no one knows then, we can just scrub it off as rubbish then? All was asked was for clarification, nothing more...
But

Yes one confirmation from Conquest - they seem to happy with Perera...I would expect a second Frenchman to be confirmed soon at Conquest

But 14 cars at the test - not so concerned, the entire field rarely turns up to tests, both inside and outside CCWS, so all is still going comparitively well for the 2008 season.
I'm sure indycool can look the stats up for us, but IRC we had more cars at this first test then last year.

Good news just keeps trickling out. I really like the field of drivers so far, so the racing should be really good.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 06:46 (Ref:2123013)   #152
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep......AT LAST.......Good news. Perrera should be good. IMO i thought he would be a better driver than Matos anyway. Pagenaud would be a good partner but another Aussie would be good

I wasn't thinking the 'bumper car' issue was any kind of sedan or anything but i thought it may have been an exageration(sorry, don't know how to spell that) of a new concept in the works
Old 7 Feb 2008, 13:13 (Ref:2123251)   #153
f-lot
Rookie

f-lot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Dutch newspaper has quoted Doornbos saying he his given Minardi an
ultimatum and expects them to increase their budget by 20%.

The following site has the story in english:
The Doornbos Ultimatum

Apparently both PKV and forsythe have shown an interest in his services, although for some reason only the Dutch translation mentions Vasser/PKV.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 23:38 (Ref:2123682)   #154
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just reading over on the V8 supercar forum (don't know why I was there, quite embarrassing, but it seems as though Gore is trying to sell his V8 team franchises - don't know what that spells for Team Australia/Walker, but something to keep in mind I guess...
Old 9 Feb 2008, 13:31 (Ref:2124891)   #155
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Simon Pagenaud is testing with Le Mans Series entrant Creation for the next three days, with eyes for a full season ride. {dailysportscar.com}

Last edited by Fogelhund; 9 Feb 2008 at 13:35.
Old 10 Feb 2008, 19:43 (Ref:2125912)   #156
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What does news of the apparent 'merger' have on impending driver deals for 2008?

Just wondering really. I've been a ChampCar follower for a long time, but the news of a merger, and the end to the backstabbing in the forum will be a godsend.
Old 11 Feb 2008, 02:04 (Ref:2126159)   #157
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1manoz
What does news of the apparent 'merger' have on impending driver deals for 2008?

Just wondering really. I've been a ChampCar follower for a long time, but the news of a merger, and the end to the backstabbing in the forum will be a godsend.
Probably a lot. Certainly with european races gone that may have an impact on drivers whose sponsorship may have been sources from there for instance.

I think for most they just don't give a damn anymore what happens. And part of the ones who do will be walking off to new endeavors and interests when the sell out is done.

It's a hollow victory, mostly because there is little left to fight over.
Old 11 Feb 2008, 03:33 (Ref:2126188)   #158
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, mountainstar, we pretty much agree on one.

With the European races out, I agree those sponsors, if they aren't wanting to market in the U.S., could well be gone if there'[s a melding of the series the way we're all hearing.

And there are a number of CC veteran drivers who have never been on an oval and may not want to.

The "victory" is that we would have one series instead of two with everyone pulling on the same oar.
Old 11 Feb 2008, 11:08 (Ref:2126411)   #159
Chewie-1990
Racer

United Kingdom
Chewie-1990 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo
Just reading over on the V8 supercar forum (don't know why I was there, quite embarrassing, but it seems as though Gore is trying to sell his V8 team franchises - don't know what that spells for Team Australia/Walker, but something to keep in mind I guess...
http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=1882

According to the article, only the V8 Supercar entry is affected, Team Australia should continue
Old 11 Feb 2008, 11:22 (Ref:2126421)   #160
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Probably a lot. Certainly with european races gone that may have an impact on drivers whose sponsorship may have been sources from there for instance.
I seriously doubt it: on the CC calendar the euro races were a very little share of the total, therefore european drivers and sponsors couldn't focus on them that much

If a sponsor want an european visibility then they'll support a WSBR pr GP2 driver...
Old 11 Feb 2008, 11:41 (Ref:2126432)   #161
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewie-1990
http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=1882

According to the article, only the V8 Supercar entry is affected, Team Australia should continue
Crash.net reckons maybe only "Team Australia" backing for Power?

Quote:
Today's announcement suggests that Walker will be able to run one car in the now familiar yellow-and-green livery of Team Australia, but will have to search for alternative backers if it is to maintain a two-car presence on the grid.
http://www.crash.net/motorsport/cham...es_v8_woe.html
Old 11 Feb 2008, 12:33 (Ref:2126469)   #162
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About Walker, here is a hint from italiaracing.net

http://italiaracing.net/notizia.asp?id=17955&cat=3

"...After electing not to enter the ChampCar tests at Sebring, Derrick Walker, who managed the two cars driven by Will Power and Simon Pagenaud in the 2007 Champ Car World Series, was spotted with an IndyCar Dallara behind his shoulders in a TV Interview...."
Old 11 Feb 2008, 13:44 (Ref:2126525)   #163
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is true. In fact, they showed the car on Channel 6 in Indianapolis last night in a TV interview with Walker and Robin Miller. It's a car Walker said was loaned to them by Kent Baker, a car that P.J. Jones drove at Indy last year. Walker was noncommital in the interview, saying he'd run both series if he found sponsors.
Old 11 Feb 2008, 13:57 (Ref:2126536)   #164
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah but Walker comes across to me as a racer at heart. He'd run a lawnmower if he had to. If THE series to be in is IRL or CCWS then so be it he'll do what he has to do.
Old 11 Feb 2008, 14:19 (Ref:2126551)   #165
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
sources I have told me he jumped over the fence, as well as Conquest
Old 11 Feb 2008, 14:57 (Ref:2126572)   #166
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hang on, is there a fence to jump over at the moment ?
Old 11 Feb 2008, 17:07 (Ref:2126640)   #167
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Shock this morning in Australia as Gore has closed his V8 Supercar team with immediate effect and one of the licences has already gone to Larry Perkins. The article in Motorsport News says that Gore does plan on continuing with Team Australia in Champcars.

http://enews.mnews.com.au/
Old 12 Feb 2008, 03:03 (Ref:2126941)   #168
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Simon Pagenaud is listed as a driver for Creation in the LMS for 08', not sure that is relevant anymore but....
Old 12 Feb 2008, 04:03 (Ref:2126958)   #169
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like the fence is still up, couple of interesting quotes

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...S0107/80211053

Quote:
The Indy Racing League apparently is armed with options to negotiate a reconciliation of open-wheel racing following a Monday meeting in Japan.
Quote:
In an e-mail to The Star, George warned that there are still no guarantees to ending the sport’s 13-year-old split.

“Nothing is going to happen quickly, if at all,” he said
Old 12 Feb 2008, 04:41 (Ref:2126964)   #170
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
I've talked to a couple of people and nobody has the definitive answer as to what exactly is going on. So I'll just wait and see.
Old 12 Feb 2008, 07:31 (Ref:2126991)   #171
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A merger has to happen now. CC teams and events have had to stop with all the recent events going on. No one will touch a CC event now and in that sense a merger HAS to happen.

For this reason I can fully understand Kalkoven and Forsythe's disappointment with Miller.
Old 12 Feb 2008, 10:02 (Ref:2127069)   #172
blaarg
Racer

blaarg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless someone's willing to spend some big bucks to make this merger happen, it's far too late for anything to happen this year.
Old 12 Feb 2008, 11:29 (Ref:2127126)   #173
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Apparently not!
Good news from Japan according to italiaracing.net (in english):

http://italiaracing.net/notizia.asp?id=17967&cat=3
Old 12 Feb 2008, 11:45 (Ref:2127130)   #174
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
We shall see, although Italiaracing has been fairly reliable in the past...

At least TG is speaking in cautious tones for now - no point in whipping things to a frenzy if the matter is still in doubt.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 12 Feb 2008, 12:44 (Ref:2127160)   #175
D.R.T.
Veteran

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...or-bankruptcy/

Another piece added to the unification puzzle.

And a means of avoiding law suits from various event promoters.

A pity it has come to this though.