Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 17 Jan 2008, 16:29 (Ref:2108117)   #76
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Hmmm, there seems to be a lot of complaining going on...
I wonder who that is John?
Old 17 Jan 2008, 17:42 (Ref:2108184)   #77
fazzaz
Racer

United States
Appalachia, USA
fazzaz has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Apparently one of the complainers is Speed Dan Clarke. According to Autosport.com today, he plans to move to the IRL as it offers a better chance of actually being paid. I belive this story is in the free section of the site, under Motorsports News.

According to Speedy Dan, "The IRL is one of the few series where drivers can get paid and you can work your way up. Sam Hornish started at Panther and moved to Penske, Ryan Briscoe has been around for a few years and now he's landed a Penske drive too."
Old 17 Jan 2008, 17:43 (Ref:2108185)   #78
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No matter whether Matos had to find an extra $3.2 million or not, there is something seriously wrong with the system if the winner of the 'junior' series doesn't get the ride with 'in-kind' backing & so many free seats.......

So presuming Matos has entered the AGR stable of drivers, which one of the 4 ICS drivers needs to start worrying?
Old 17 Jan 2008, 18:13 (Ref:2108207)   #79
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Everyone said that it would be impossible for AGR to run a 4 car team but they did it, a 5 car team can't be out of the question

seriously, if Matos does go to the AGR IPS team and does well then I can see them putting him in an Indycar for the last race of 08 and then beyond
Old 17 Jan 2008, 18:15 (Ref:2108208)   #80
fazzaz
Racer

United States
Appalachia, USA
fazzaz has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
John,

Is Matos the driver you introduced to me last year? As you said, the devil is in the details, and I seem to forget most of them these days.

Fz.
Old 17 Jan 2008, 18:15 (Ref:2108209)   #81
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
i agree when you say there is something wrong with the system as well

it looks as if the IPS is far superior to Atlantics at the moment

Matos is going to the right place
Old 17 Jan 2008, 18:17 (Ref:2108210)   #82
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazzaz
Apparently one of the complainers is Speed Dan Clarke. According to Autosport.com today, he plans to move to the IRL as it offers a better chance of actually being paid. I belive this story is in the free section of the site, under Motorsports News.

According to Speedy Dan, "The IRL is one of the few series where drivers can get paid and you can work your way up. Sam Hornish started at Panther and moved to Penske, Ryan Briscoe has been around for a few years and now he's landed a Penske drive too."
Speedy Dan AND Nelson Phillipe had a driver physical with Indycar the other day

I think both of them feel they have got raw deals at Champ Car and want something better

As an Englishman i'd be delighted to see Dan Clarke in the IRL, it could very well happen

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64741 here is the link to that story

interesting as well that I picked up a vibe from the Panther Q and A today that they might be going slightly cold on PJ Chesson

maybe not but that's just a feeling I got

Last edited by stradlin21; 17 Jan 2008 at 18:19.
Old 17 Jan 2008, 23:29 (Ref:2108402)   #83
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazzaz
John,

Is Matos the driver you introduced to me last year? As you said, the devil is in the details, and I seem to forget most of them these days.

Fz.

Yes he was fazzaz...as I recall you then returned the favor by introducing me to RHR.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 17 Jan 2008, 23:30 (Ref:2108404)   #84
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
No offense stradlin, but "Speedy Dan" can be "Scary Dan" at times!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 00:16 (Ref:2108432)   #85
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
yeah but when your alternatives to support are media loverboy Lewis Hamilton and fluffly face Button then you tend to stick with the Englishmen in the states

Wheldon, Wilson, Manning, Howard and Clarke

the best thing would be too have them all in one series, indycar
Old 18 Jan 2008, 03:00 (Ref:2108479)   #86
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just out of interest, how did Wade Cunningham go in the IRL last year?
Old 19 Jan 2008, 03:06 (Ref:2109190)   #87
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
matos has definitely made the right choice for him. If no team was willing to take him, and his money, and give him a paycheck in return, then the AGR/AFS deal makes perfect sense.

and about the need to find $3.2 million. while it's impossible to verify, i think the circumstances this year are considerably different to last year for the champion. last year, pagenaud already had a CCWS team to go to (his atlantic team), and i think derrick walker had a lot more leverage to get money out of kk than matos does...
Old 19 Jan 2008, 12:58 (Ref:2109348)   #88
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
...and Pagenaud has a ride confirmed where, at this point? So for all that he is still standing around with his helmet in his hand.

Matos is a good kid. He has real talent. I am glad he got a ride somewhere with a decent team. Too bad it won't be in CC. At the rate things are going there though, perhaps Matos will be glad he made the move now instead of waiting.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 14:40 (Ref:2109395)   #89
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Unbelievable. There again it's a prize to help you move up the ladder to champcar. They are giving you $2 million dollars. For a champcar ride. Been the case since day 1! What are you *****ing about?

It's up to the DRIVER to negotiate his own ride. Maybe he did have to find another $3.2 mil. But since team owner was not aparty to every negotiation between every team, we'll have to take that at face value, a rumored one figure from one team.

The DRIVER was not given SQUAT! He was given $2 mil towards a champcar ride which is a good headstart.

What this proves to me is that you will complain no matter what. What if no prize existed at all? What if it was a full ride with a $1 million dollar paycheck? You would still complain and complain and complain.

Where is Pagenaud racing in 2008?
Old 19 Jan 2008, 14:47 (Ref:2109399)   #90
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
According to Speed TV, Walker is "trying" to find sponsor $$ for him. So the answer is: "nowhere."

indycool posted a link to that article in the Matos thread in the CC forum (I think!).
Old 19 Jan 2008, 16:29 (Ref:2109426)   #91
sr230772
Racer

sr230772 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ips supERIOR TO THE ATLANTICS lol haha
Old 20 Jan 2008, 00:38 (Ref:2109632)   #92
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradlin21
interesting as well that I picked up a vibe from the Panther Q and A today that they might be going slightly cold on PJ Chesson
That would be disappointing if the reason behind this is that Clarke is able to bring along a bigger cheque.
Old 20 Jan 2008, 00:49 (Ref:2109638)   #93
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr230772
What's funny innit?
Old 20 Jan 2008, 01:11 (Ref:2109646)   #94
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the post suggested in the posters opinion that the quality in the Atlantic field was stronger than that compared to the IPS field.
Old 20 Jan 2008, 01:14 (Ref:2109651)   #95
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr230772
good god
Old 20 Jan 2008, 01:16 (Ref:2109652)   #96
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
That would be disappointing if the reason behind this is that Clarke is able to bring along a bigger cheque.
didn't he leave champ car because he couldn't pay for a seat?

clearly not then!!

still waiting for those Matos comments that you accused me of making mate

Old 20 Jan 2008, 01:17 (Ref:2109653)   #97
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
I think the post suggested in the posters opinion that the quality in the Atlantic field was stronger than that compared to the IPS field.
yep! and the 2006 champ has nothing for 2008 and the 2007 champ has just defected to the 'inferior' series

nice logic

you guys do make me chuckle
Old 20 Jan 2008, 01:50 (Ref:2109675)   #98
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is no question the talent level in Atlantics is far higher.
Old 20 Jan 2008, 01:52 (Ref:2109676)   #99
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
didn't he leave champ car because he couldn't pay for a seat?
You would need to talk to Minardi USA about that, but there has been no mention of the loss Ticketmaster as his backer. Maybe a loss of confidence him and a worry about escalating repair bills.

If money was not an issue, why would Panther even contemplate going cold on Chesson for Clarke ?

Quote:
still waiting for those Matos comments that you accused me of making mate
Thats the point stradlin. While Matos was winning Atlantic races and championships you had no comment on him. When he signs with an IPS team he is 'US racings new talent'
Old 20 Jan 2008, 02:02 (Ref:2109680)   #100
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
You would need to talk to Minardi USA about that, but there has been no mention of the loss Ticketmaster as his backer. Maybe a loss of confidence him and a worry about escalating repair bills.

If money was not an issue, why would Panther even contemplate going cold on Chesson for Clarke ?

Thats the point stradlin. While Matos was winning Atlantic races and championships you had no comment on him. When he signs with an IPS team he is 'US racings new talent'
if you were able to read on a bit further in that message mate I said it was just a feeling I got, i might be completely wrong

were you capable of reading that sentence? just checking

as it was today on the q and a, they posted a positive message about the discussions with Chesson, so it appears I was wrong, unlike some, i'm sure i'll get over that!

was Matos champion back then?? erm, nope! he is champion now, so he clearly is a talent, do you follow that logic?