Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Apr 2004, 09:45 (Ref:940220)   #1
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Podium Pace at BAR

What is behind BAR suddenly finding the podium pace this season?
Engine, aeros, tires, what could it be?
Is the new engine that much of an improvement?

I understand from some reports on the testing in France that they were using some aero-dynamic components that looked a lot like pieces off of a Ferrari.

Whatever it is, I am glad to see someone other than McLaren and Williams being in the open slots on the podium.
Old 15 Apr 2004, 09:49 (Ref:940225)   #2
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mostly engine and chassis IMO
Old 15 Apr 2004, 10:19 (Ref:940254)   #3
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They have a "mid wing", I heard anyway. Like the one below the Ferrari air box. I think its down to a more complete car. This years car should be a great spring board to their 05 platform.

GW could have just said they have a much more integrated package and team!
Old 15 Apr 2004, 10:31 (Ref:940263)   #4
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The thing is that last year's BAR is actually quite a decent machine let down by a heavy/unreliable engine and inferior tyres to it's immediate rivals.

Now that they have the same tyres as their immediate rivals, and Honda had made a huge improvement in the engine, and BAR further improving their car, it adds up to a very good car.

In pure pace, it still falls short of BMW-Williams, but it made up for it with consistent finishes and hence is there to pick up points when any top teams slip just a bit.
Old 15 Apr 2004, 10:55 (Ref:940288)   #5
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
Mostly engine and chassis IMO
A cheaper driver will give you that possiblity.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 15 Apr 2004, 11:11 (Ref:940305)   #6
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right, but to get them right, something more is required; call it skills, or just luck, ora combinatioon of the two...
Toyota's case shows that money to invest is necessary but not sufficient.
Old 15 Apr 2004, 11:14 (Ref:940307)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
According to BAR themselves the car was 3.5 seconds quicker at Sepang than last year. 1 second was Michelin the other 2.5 the car.
Old 15 Apr 2004, 12:46 (Ref:940413)   #8
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I head it was about a 2 sec a lap improvement when they switched to michelin...could be wrong though.
In any case it is indeed FANTASTIC to see someone do genuinely well for a change.

I was wondering what others thought of the looks of the BAR?
I know a fast car allways looks good...but that car really looks kinda cheap.
i think it's the ugly white paint job that show's brake dust and other crud way to easily.
Of course i'd rather be in one of those than the georgeous maclaren...lol
Old 15 Apr 2004, 12:52 (Ref:940417)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RWC
[B]I head it was about a 2 sec a lap improvement when they switched to michelin...could be wrong though.

I got the 1 second a lap from the team themselves
Old 15 Apr 2004, 13:21 (Ref:940450)   #10
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the team is on for podiums partly because Mclaren are having trouble so that moves 2 cars out of the way.

I'm not saying they have not done a fantastic job, they have and I'm glad to see it. But allong with what has already been said I think the McLaren problems have really helped.
Old 15 Apr 2004, 14:17 (Ref:940511)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I heard that they "lost" 1 second to Michelin-shod runners last year by using BS. And considering the approx 3.5s-a-lap quicker than Sepang last year, it actually figures a "real" 2.5s lap improvement because of improvements to Michelin tires AND the car..
Old 15 Apr 2004, 14:43 (Ref:940538)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
As I said earlier, the figures I quoted came from BAR themselves and so I take them as being accurate.
Old 15 Apr 2004, 19:51 (Ref:940827)   #13
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Quote:
Originally posted by Draven
I think the team is on for podiums partly because Mclaren are having trouble so that moves 2 cars out of the way.
Well with that logic the only reason someone does well in racing is because someone else does poorly! Last year the only reason Renault came in 4th was because BAR had a bad car. No, I dont mean to nit pick but we should give em a little more credit. They are doing what they should have done years ago. In fact, the BAR right now is better than the Mac, as far as pace goes too not just reliability.
Old 15 Apr 2004, 20:14 (Ref:940845)   #14
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In my opinion, they have upped their reliability and consistency. When the driver starts feeling confident that the car will stay together under him and it will finish the race then he and the engineers can start looking for speed and making themsleves more competitive. I think that is probably the single best thing that DR brings to the table. He is probably approaching their lack of reliability and pace in a logical and short goal oriented progression.

Also, BAR are benefitting form the lack of pace and unreliability of their rivals to some degree. However, it is obvious that they have drastically improved the chassis and Honda has upped their game as well with reliability. Credit where credit is due.
Never forget #99
Old 15 Apr 2004, 22:53 (Ref:941002)   #15
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't follow the logic that BAR are only doing well because of McLaren's underacheivments, i think full credit should go to BAR for getting their act in to gear because even if McLaren can get their cars to actually finish i think they're going to struggle to compete with BAR anyway.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 00:56 (Ref:941052)   #16
Gt_R
Veteran

Haha..stephen..i'm just trying to be an @rse

Yeah i agree that nobody ought to take credit away from BAR/HONDA for doing a great job so far. The fact that Mclaren screwed up only makes BAR's life abit easier, but doesn't take away BAR's improvements. If any, it actually boost the team even more because they've got it right when bigger teams like even Mclaren got it wrong. So credit must be given.

Frankly, BAR really just have to keep on pushing (which i noticed that so far they have in testings). Williams and Renault have shown their ability to develope very very quickly, and hence would no doubt do the same this year. At this stage, as good as BAR is, they are still not on par with Williams on outright pace (close though), and they need to at least keep up the rate of developement if they want to challenge for 3rd or even 2nd. Tough job, but nobody expects F1 to be easy.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 03:12 (Ref:941098)   #17
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
I agree Williams and Renault are quicker than them at this time over a race distance. I think this is their main area of concern. So far they can run on pace with them for a few laps but the longevity is still not there, as far as consistency is concerned.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 04:35 (Ref:941118)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Consistency is there - they're ahead of both Williams and Renault in terms of results.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 09:04 (Ref:941292)   #19
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is true to say that McLaren not scoring helps BAR, but even if McLaren were reliable BAR would still be beating them - so proper credit where it is due, this yar's BAR is a corker and well done to them all.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 12:35 (Ref:941497)   #20
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Agreed, after all each season all teams start with a new car, which is somehow a bet.
Obviously the recent past is of some importance, particularly when you set up an "evolutionary" car; anyways last year results don't grant you that much.
This first 3 races show that BAR/Honda got many good moves during the winter, Macs/Merc absolutely not.
Congrats to Bar for deserved podia, thumbs down to Macs.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 14:16 (Ref:941599)   #21
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember BAR starting the season quite strongly (not podium pace but still impressive) but they seemed to fade away quickly before coming back at the end of the season. Seems like they're keeping their momentum going this season which is great for the sport.
Old 16 Apr 2004, 21:38 (Ref:942140)   #22
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
this year's BAR is a corker and well done to them all.
D*mn right !
No matter which way you look at it-chassis,engine,tyres-they have all done an awsome job.
Truly great to see
Old 17 Apr 2004, 00:00 (Ref:942222)   #23
Arneal
Racer

Arneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
According to BAR themselves the car was 3.5 seconds quicker at Sepang than last year. 1 second was Michelin the other 2.5 the car.
The Michelin and BS tires were fairly even at the beginning of last year, it was during the summer heat that the Bridgestones whilted. I suspect that come June the "1 second was Michelin" will be become 2 seconds and the 3.5 will become 4.5

I think that the relative underperformance of the tires as the season progressed last year masked the ongoing improvements to the rest of the car which has made BARs jump this season appear larger than it actually is. BAR appears to have come out of nowhere, but in fact it has been building since the beginning of last year.

The guys in Brackley and Tokyo should be very proud of their efforts. They made a lot of improvements last year but didn't get any credit because the on track results were hampered by the tires.
Old 17 Apr 2004, 00:13 (Ref:942230)   #24
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Quote:
Originally posted by Arneal
The Michelin and BS tires were fairly even at the beginning of last year, it was during the summer heat that the Bridgestones whilted. I suspect that come June the "1 second was Michelin" will be become 2 seconds and the 3.5 will become 4.5

I think that the relative underperformance of the tires as the season progressed last year masked the ongoing improvements to the rest of the car which has made BARs jump this season appear larger than it actually is. BAR appears to have come out of nowhere, but in fact it has been building since the beginning of last year.

The guys in Brackley and Tokyo should be very proud of their efforts. They made a lot of improvements last year but didn't get any credit because the on track results were hampered by the tires.

Just to add a little to that...

After the "illegal" tires were changed from the Michelin teams BARs pace really showed in the next races.

Last edited by neilap; 17 Apr 2004 at 00:16.
Old 17 Apr 2004, 00:29 (Ref:942245)   #25
BD
Racer

BD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"We have a lot lighter and smaller engine," said tech director Geoff Willis.

'...the Honda is "a lot more powerful" than in '03, and Willis and his development team has also taken weight out of the 006 car.'
"The centre of gravity is lower," he continued.
"And the absolute aerodynamic figures are a big step forward."
F1-live.com, 4/14/04

Geoff Willis says:
smaller, lighter, more powerful engine
Less chassis weight
Lower center of gravity
Better aerodynamics.

Most of the performance gain has come from the car and tires, but Honda has done a great job with the engine. Last year they couldnt hold it together. Now with probably 30-40 more hp, they have great reliability.
Well done to BAR and Honda!