Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 2 Dec 2013, 20:38 (Ref:3339444)   #1
Bomber604
Rookie

England
Telford
Bomber604 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oulton park missing off calendars

Of the 3 confirmed club calendars I've seen for 2014:

Khumo BMW
CTRC
750mc

None of them are racing at Oulton.

Is there a link, cause or problem with booking race meetings at my favourite circuit?
Old 2 Dec 2013, 20:45 (Ref:3339451)   #2
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the fact that for most club meets, Oulton is a Saturday only affair, and many want to go for two days?
Old 2 Dec 2013, 20:51 (Ref:3339457)   #3
Bomber604
Rookie

England
Telford
Why is it Sat only?
Old 2 Dec 2013, 20:53 (Ref:3339458)   #4
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
750MC haven't gone to Oulton for a couple of years due, I understand, to the lack of availability of two day meetings as it is a long way for the bulk of their members to travel for a single header meeting. I suspect Kumho BMW and CTCRC runners are looking to haver some variety in the circuits they go from year to year (for instance, the CTCRC didn't visit Cadwell or Donington this year, but will go to both in '14).

That said, by my reckoning Oulton will have approximately 16 one day meetings next year (shared between BARC, BRSCC, CSCC and MSVR) in addition to the British GT, BTCC and Gold Cup meetings.
Old 2 Dec 2013, 20:56 (Ref:3339459)   #5
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber604 View Post
Why is it Sat only?
Oulton is only allowed to operate on four Sundays a year (and then with nothing on track before 12). These traditionally go the biggest (and presumably most lucrative) meetings comprising the BTCC, the Gold Cup and the two Superbike meetings. This explains why British GT is held on the Easter Saturday/Easter Monday, with no track action on Sunday.
Old 2 Dec 2013, 21:02 (Ref:3339465)   #6
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CSCC have taken 2 successive Saturdays with half of the clubs series racing at each. Oulton is an important and popular venue for us, so we have to be there.
Old 3 Dec 2013, 13:17 (Ref:3339715)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I am glad CTCRC are not going there much as I like the track its a pain to get to on a Friday afternoon from London and a long way for just a single header one day meeting.
Old 3 Dec 2013, 18:27 (Ref:3339818)   #8
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber604 View Post
Why is it Sat only?
Saturday only meetings at Oulton have existed since at least the 1960s, when I was competing in the Redex Special Saloon Championship and our trips to Oulton were always on the Saturdays.

As I and my team had proper jobs, we couldn't get Friday afternoons off. This meant that the crew would prep the car on Friday evening, as we did every Friday, whilst I grabbed a few hours sleep. We would then set off for Oulton from North London at around midnight, with an extra team member driving the tow car so that the rest of us could catch a few zzzs along the way.

Arrival at the track would just be in time for a hearty breakfast, followed by scrutineering, and then practice and the race in the afternoon. Then it was pack-up time and a quick dash down to Mallory for a Redex round on the Sunday. Sleeping arrangements on Saturday night were, to say the least, crude in the Mallory paddock.

Sunday morning at Mallory, and it became a tradition for my crew to cook a big fry-up for anybody else stupid enough to sleep in the paddock or for those that got there early enough. Then it was time to remove the gearbox and diff to change gearing, followed by scrutineering, etc.

Sunday evening and the drive back to North London, where we lifted the engine and gearbox ready for rebuilding for the next race weekend. I usually hit the sack at around 2 to 3 in the morning, and was up at 6.30 to start the day job.

Never regretted a day, though.
Old 5 Dec 2013, 14:50 (Ref:3340468)   #9
Bomber604
Rookie

England
Telford
Fair play, that's proper club motorsport!
Old 5 Dec 2013, 15:09 (Ref:3340478)   #10
andrewc
Veteran

One of the weekends I am schedules to be there they are using the Friday / Saturday. I wonder if they can get enough marshals?
Old 5 Dec 2013, 19:45 (Ref:3340580)   #11
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
One of the weekends I am schedules to be there they are using the Friday / Saturday. I wonder if they can get enough marshals?
Which weekend? I would assume that the Friday's a test day, in which case it will be covered by the normal weekday marshals supplied by the circuit, not the organising club.
Old 5 Dec 2013, 21:45 (Ref:3340606)   #12
andrewc
Veteran

18/19 July

Formula 4 - 1 quali, 3 races
F3 Cup - 1 quali, 2 races
Monoposto - 2 grids each 1 quali, 2 races

I can't believe the race calendar is entirely single seaters.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 10:36 (Ref:3340739)   #13
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
18/19 July

Formula 4 - 1 quali, 3 races
F3 Cup - 1 quali, 2 races
Monoposto - 2 grids each 1 quali, 2 races

I can't believe the race calendar is entirely single seaters.
Not quite all single-seaters - the Ariel Atoms are "racing" as well.

We'll have to wait until nearer the time to see what the format is - possibly qualifying on Friday, racing on Saturday so that Friday isn't counted as a race day.

The F3 Cup calendar shows it as two days, Monoposto & Atom only show it as one day.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 10:39 (Ref:3340740)   #14
andrewc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Not quite all single-seaters - the Ariel Atoms are "racing" as well.

We'll have to wait until nearer the time to see what the format is - possibly qualifying on Friday, racing on Saturday so that Friday isn't counted as a race day.

The F3 Cup calendar shows it as two days, Monoposto & Atom only show it as one day.
Yes, Mono are having it as a double header - one quali and two races, rather than their normal 2 day meeting format of one quali and one race per day. They have two grids so thats 6 sessions.

Atom Cup in 2013 was one quali and two races.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 12:50 (Ref:3340781)   #15
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Just heard I may be there with the British Gt's I wonder if that's a two day event I do hope so. Err I mean on the same race card!
Old 6 Dec 2013, 12:52 (Ref:3340782)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Oh just googled and its a three day easter weekend, that's a must do then!
Old 6 Dec 2013, 15:12 (Ref:3340820)   #17
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Oh just googled and its a three day easter weekend, that's a must do then!
You have the Sunday off.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 15:12 (Ref:3340822)   #18
andrewc
Veteran

British GT has usually been a Saturday and a Monday meeting. Previously British F3 were there Friday and Saturday, but didn't want to spend a day kicking their heels around an empty paddock on Easter Sunday, so they went home and F3 Cup filled their slot on Monday.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 15:25 (Ref:3340828)   #19
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Really that's not too good but I fancy you are indeed correct looking back at the timetable, not sure I fancy that either and knowing Oulton I can see them kicking everyone out on the Sunday. If race is on Monday and qually on Saturday I would miss the qually and start from the back it wont make a jot of difference at the end of the day! They really don't make it easy for the clubman to compete anymore do they?
Old 6 Dec 2013, 15:32 (Ref:3340831)   #20
andrewc
Veteran

I spent several days there - testing Friday, watching Saturday, reading a book on Sunday, action Monday. Its quite nice and peaceful on the Sunday
Old 6 Dec 2013, 21:34 (Ref:3341010)   #21
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Been running like that for several years. We've tended to take the caravan up Friday evening, Saturday marshalling, Sunday a nice day out somewhere, then Monday back on track. Makes for a nice week-end.

However, this year it clashes with WEC. No contest, I'm afraid.
Old 7 Dec 2013, 10:59 (Ref:3341197)   #22
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BF3 used to do Saturday & Monday, until SRO decided one year that they had their following round at Monza, starting on the Thursday!
Old 7 Dec 2013, 19:56 (Ref:3341321)   #23
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The fact its clashing with the WEC is going to be a tough call for me, I do enjoy the BGT but I know I can catch them elsewhere in the year, the WEC however is a once a year event and as much as I really dont enjoy Silverstone, like you Woolley its a no brainer.