Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 May 2015, 06:45 (Ref:3535726)   #1376
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.smh.com.au/business/media...06-ggv3y1.html
Old 9 May 2015, 11:54 (Ref:3535786)   #1377
William5
Racer

William5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorspo...09-ggxbkm.html
Old 9 May 2015, 15:21 (Ref:3535847)   #1378
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I'm convinced...
Old 10 May 2015, 19:31 (Ref:3536211)   #1379
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Warburton: ‘We could have lost seven more cars
http://autoaction.com.au/warburton-we-lost-cars/
Old 11 May 2015, 05:23 (Ref:3536330)   #1380
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The category is good. I mean, the key, as I’ve said before, [is that] the 2013 and 2014 television deal put the sport on its knees,” he told Auto Action.
The perception was media rights went backwards. There were questions asked and obviously the distribution to the teams went backwards significantly.
Did the TV deal put the sport on its knees or did the administration at the time by failing to secure and manage expectations around such a media renewal?

I am surprised by the use of the word perception here. The media rights deal did go backwards, along with the tv ratings. Progressively going down since 2008.
Old 15 May 2015, 10:09 (Ref:3537646)   #1381
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a client in my office today who asked me who was winning the V8SC championship because she hadn't seen any of it on TV. I explained the new Fox deal to her and she was outraged. Loved sitting down on a Sunday afternoon and watching the car racing. Has been a follower of car racing since the Series production days. I told her the cost of installing Fox and then the monthly cost she nearly cried. She is a lady in her late 50s on a pension. She said to me "don't they want me to watch anymore?" Apparently not.
Old 15 May 2015, 11:21 (Ref:3537673)   #1382
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Except you can watch the highlights package on the commercial network partner each night, and the whole shebang on the major weekends...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 15 May 2015, 11:41 (Ref:3537684)   #1383
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quite a shift from the expectation that V8SC set amongst its fans over the last 15 years GTR.

A 1 hour highlights package clearly isnt cutting it with the fans. V8SC need to take responsibility rather than keep up the excuses
Old 15 May 2015, 11:56 (Ref:3537697)   #1384
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by david5 View Post
I had a client in my office today who asked me who was winning the V8SC championship because she hadn't seen any of it on TV. I explained the new Fox deal to her and she was outraged. Loved sitting down on a Sunday afternoon and watching the car racing. Has been a follower of car racing since the Series production days. I told her the cost of installing Fox and then the monthly cost she nearly cried. She is a lady in her late 50s on a pension. She said to me "don't they want me to watch anymore?" Apparently not.
we are 4 rounds (including gp)into the series and 3 have been on sunday afternoons. Im tipping your friend didnt really love sitting down on a Sunday afternoon and watching.

The good news is the poor lady in her 50s can sit down this sunday afternoon and watch on ten, did you tell her that?
Old 15 May 2015, 13:06 (Ref:3537725)   #1385
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
The good news is the poor lady in her 50s can sit down this sunday afternoon and watch on ten, did you tell her that?
I would suggest not to the level of coverage that V8SC has set the expectation for.
Old 15 May 2015, 14:55 (Ref:3537751)   #1386
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
I would suggest not to the level of coverage that V8SC has set the expectation for.
It astounds me that they would deliberately set out to cut exposure to those supporters who the series depends on for its continued support. I wonder how many hours of racing FTA has lost?
Old 15 May 2015, 22:15 (Ref:3537864)   #1387
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
No! Exceeded the level of coverage V8SC had set the expectation for.

Live coverage of all sessions was the expectation. delivered.
HD was the expectation. Delivered

The big suprise was support categories are also on live and in fact on tv
Old 15 May 2015, 22:19 (Ref:3537865)   #1388
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
It astounds me that they would deliberately set out to cut exposure to those supporters who the series depends on for its continued support. I wonder how many hours of racing FTA has lost?
you should work it out.

its probably about ten hours or about the length of the Sunday Bathurst telecast live on ten. yeah i know. Mind blown not as bad as the whingers complain about
Old 15 May 2015, 22:58 (Ref:3537868)   #1389
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Man, y'all complain way too much about less than a weeks worth of pay at Australian minimum wage for an entire year of foxtel...
Old 15 May 2015, 23:18 (Ref:3537870)   #1390
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
No! Exceeded the level of coverage V8SC had set the expectation for.

Live coverage of all sessions was the expectation. delivered.
HD was the expectation. Delivered

Well....we'll see at the end of the year, where the category sits on the Australian sporting landscape. Warburton will either be seen as a genius, or he'll be rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. He's right though, from what he said in one of the linked articles. Ratings should improve later in the year, when Ten get to show V8SC's live. Viewer numbers will pick-up around Bathurst, after the end of the footy seasons and before the Cricket season starts. Whether or not the ratings are good enough to keep the teams/sponsors/fans happy, we'll see soon enough.
I've moved on, to watch other racing where the series value their fans, and actually make it easy to get free live coverage via streaming sites that are readily accessible. (and the bonus is.....the racing is a hell of a lot better too) Therein lies the main issue.....People will watch if it is easy to gain access. If it becomes all too hard, viewer numbers will diminish.
Old 15 May 2015, 23:56 (Ref:3537877)   #1391
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
Well....we'll see at the end of the year, where the category sits on the Australian sporting landscape. Warburton will either be seen as a genius, or he'll be rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. He's right though, from what he said in one of the linked articles. Ratings should improve later in the year, when Ten get to show V8SC's live. Viewer numbers will pick-up around Bathurst, after the end of the footy seasons and before the Cricket season starts. Whether or not the ratings are good enough to keep the teams/sponsors/fans happy, we'll see soon enough.
I've moved on, to watch other racing where the series value their fans, and actually make it easy to get free live coverage via streaming sites that are readily accessible. (and the bonus is.....the racing is a hell of a lot better too) Therein lies the main issue.....People will watch if it is easy to gain access. If it becomes all too hard, viewer numbers will diminish.
So suddenly its got hard to switch your tv on this sunday at 4pm.

however if thats too easy Call 1300 788 796, set up a direct debit. Thats how easy it is. Much easier than the effort Im putting in to going to winton today. and the cost of me going to winton will cover about a third of the season on foxtel.

And if you can afford to stream live racing, you can afford foxtel. So lets not talk about cost as an issue
Old 16 May 2015, 00:44 (Ref:3537888)   #1392
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As an aside... that you can watch the session highlights so quickly on Fox Motorsport or the V8SC website is a monumental improvement over the previous free to air coverage.

Not to mention the interviews, insights and bits and bobs accentuating the coverage on those two resources
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 May 2015, 01:50 (Ref:3537906)   #1393
William5
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by david5 View Post
she didn't even watch Clipsal? There have been couple events at 4pm. Ten treats the SuperStreet and Enduro rounds a lot better then what Seven did for most of their run. It is essentially wanting people to Pay.

She has to realise that V8 Supercars is a lot better then what any other sport dishes up and Jack Perkins or even Aaron Noonan summed it up perfectly if you want to watch a low grade then you will need Pay TV the blockbusters will be on FTA. AFL will soon cut back their matches on FTA even more, NRL could be the leader in upcoming deal.

Shortly AFL, NRL, RU, soccer and cricket will go to Pay TV through Ten. Some people have to realise that nobody really gives a damn outside of the 6 major events.

I think V8SC has lied when they said they join the rest of the major sports in Australia when they have a FTA model and Pay TV model. Uhhh there is just one sport which doesn't have that and I will leave you to decide.
Old 16 May 2015, 02:51 (Ref:3537912)   #1394
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Quite a shift from the expectation that V8SC set amongst its fans over the last 15 years GTR.

A 1 hour highlights package clearly isnt cutting it with the fans. V8SC need to take responsibility rather than keep up the excuses
BUT BUT BUT BUT.... you know we'd have lost 7 cars without this Foxtel deal, according to the grand master.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
Various support categories were shown, sometimes live, on every V8 telecast on Channel 7 from 2007-2014.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Man, y'all complain way too much about less than a weeks worth of pay at Australian minimum wage for an entire year of foxtel...
$700 is more than the minimum weekly wage in Australia

And no, people are not complaining too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by William5
Ten treats the SuperStreet and Enduro rounds a lot better then what Seven did for most of their run
How do Ten treat these events better than 7?

7 showed the SuperStreet and Enduro events in full on the Saturday and Sunday arvo's... is that worse than Ten?

Quote:
AFL will soon cut back their matches on FTA even more, NRL could be the leader in upcoming deal.
NRL this year have just upped their FTA presence with the live Sunday arvo game, and the FTA deal for Rugby League is the best that has ever been seen.... you expect the NRL to now go backwards in the next deal?

Quote:
Shortly AFL, NRL, RU, soccer and cricket will go to Pay TV through Ten. Some people have to realise that nobody really gives a damn outside of the 6 major events.
Are you saying Channel 10 will win the next NRL TV rights deal??

People said that about the last deal too.....
Old 16 May 2015, 03:26 (Ref:3537918)   #1395
William5
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
How do Ten treat these events better than 7?

7 showed the SuperStreet and Enduro events in full on the Saturday and Sunday arvo's... is that worse than Ten?

NRL this year have just upped their FTA presence with the live Sunday arvo game, and the FTA deal for Rugby League is the best that has ever been seen.... you expect the NRL to now go backwards in the next deal?

Are you saying Channel 10 will win the next NRL TV rights deal??

People said that about the last deal too.....
Ten showed 18 hours of Clipsal. Perth didn't even get that much from Seven most of their run Perth got delayed by some hours, not comprehensive enough (exception was Bathurst). Always got shafted by AFL. Seven only started showing Friday later in the deal for Clipsal and Bathurst.

No,no,no that is not what I am saying. I am saying that it will be a great deal for FTA whereby any FTA network can bid for a stand alone product for example Auckland Nines (which Ten has expressed interest) State of Origin, Tests and normal season.

Foxtel is pushing really hard for Ten to be involved in negotiations which may result in a dream true for the network. Somewhat yes.
Old 16 May 2015, 03:46 (Ref:3537919)   #1396
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by William5 View Post
Ten showed 18 hours of Clipsal. Perth didn't even get that much from Seven most of their run Perth got delayed by some hours, not comprehensive enough (exception was Bathurst). Always got shafted by AFL. Seven only started showing Friday later in the deal for Clipsal and Bathurst.
For most of the Channel 7 deal Clipsal had only practice on the Friday with qualifying on the Saturday. When Clipsal Race 1 qualifying moved to Friday, that is when Channel 7 started showing Friday.

Might have been less overall hours (Seven must have had 15 or so hours of Clipsal in 2014), but 7 still showed the major Support races and the V8 races live and in full in the 2014 Clipsal 500.... so perhaps all that Ten has extra is 3 more hours of waffle?

Quote:
I am saying that it will be a great deal for FTA whereby any FTA network can bid for a stand alone product for example Auckland Nines (which Ten has expressed interest) State of Origin, Tests and normal season.
That was the original intention too for the current FTA deal that started in 2013 but it didn't happen.

Splitting up the normal season, State of Origin and the Tests is also nothing new. Take 1991 as an example;

Channel 10 showed the normal season NRL (or Winfield Cup as it was then)
Channel 9 showed the State of Origin
Channel 7 showed the Test Matches

It wasn't until 1994 that the rights for all three forms of the game fell too the one broadcaster, Ch9.

Until Tony Cochrane and the V8Supercar tag came along, the TV rights for the ATCC were sold seperate to the Bathurst TV rights, and the Sandown TV rights were seperate again etc etc...

Quote:
Foxtel is pushing really hard for Ten to be involved in negotiations which may result in a dream true for the network.
Do you have an inside word on this, because I haven't seen this scenario printed anywhere?

Any challenger will need big pockets to outbid Channel 9 when it comes to the League.
Old 16 May 2015, 04:04 (Ref:3537921)   #1397
William5
Racer

I sure do its from Australian Financial Review.
Quote:
Sports sources have said they would expect Foxtel to push hard for Ten to be involved in rights for one or both of the two sports, which could result in Ten winning the rights to one or two matches a week and Seven or Nine broadcasting others in conjunction with Foxtel.
Channel 9 haven't expressed interest at all for the Auckland Nines neither has Seven. So its quite possible for history to repeat itself again. All 3 would want to gain hold of State of Origin and I don't see what Foxtel want to be end up being left with replay rights. You never know Ten may just get something from all 5 football codes if Foxtel gives a cash injection to the network
Old 16 May 2015, 04:58 (Ref:3537931)   #1398
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
$700 is more than the minimum weekly wage in Australia
$59 more.

I remembered hearing figures of $50/mo for the foxtel subscription.

So if I worked down there at a Mcdonalds making minimum wage, I could easily afford a year of foxtel after two paychecks.

The fact a 16 year old could do that, and not a fully grown adult seems astonishing to me.

Like I said, you guys are complaining way too much.

At $700/yr it'll cost you $13.50 a week, or less than one hour of work at minimum wage.

Like I said, as an outsider that has to use a form of pay TV for every single sporting series in the nation, watching you guys whine and cry is pretty amusing. You'd never be able to live anywhere else in the world and follow any form of sport.
Old 16 May 2015, 09:57 (Ref:3537992)   #1399
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can only speak from my own experience but moving the sport to Foxtel and downgrading the FTA coverage has already had an effect.

Last weekend I didn't watch a F1 GP for the first time since the 1985 Dutch Grand Prix. And I can't say I missed it. And I fear V8 Supercars will go the same way for me - and that dates back to Lakeside in '86.

I will most certainly watch the Super Street Races and the Enduros, but the sprints I am happy to live without. However if they were shown live or close to live on FTA today I would have watched them.
Old 16 May 2015, 10:29 (Ref:3537999)   #1400
William5
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
I can only speak from my own experience but moving the sport to Foxtel and downgrading the FTA coverage has already had an effect.

Last weekend I didn't watch a F1 GP for the first time since the 1985 Dutch Grand Prix. And I can't say I missed it. And I fear V8 Supercars will go the same way for me - and that dates back to Lakeside in '86.

I will most certainly watch the Super Street Races and the Enduros, but the sprints I am happy to live without. However if they were shown live or close to live on FTA today I would have watched them.
yeah but that's only for SuperSprint rounds rather then the main ones. I have to say V8SA need to move the times to late which was proposed for Seven for 2014 and up to 5 twilight events for Ten in this deal.

So, you must have enjoyed watching the late night or wee hours of showing on Channel 9.

Well the V8 Supercar events are 'near live' for SuperSprint rounds then you would have watched them at 4pm Sundays