Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Jul 2003, 14:09 (Ref:666210)   #1
Chui
Rookie

Chui should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM and RB Shine Today

JPM silences his critics today as does Barichello. I think JPM was the "star" today, qualifying only 7th, dropping to 12th and finishing 2nd.

On the other hand Rubins drove like a man possessed in the Nigel Mansell mold. Lovely.
"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." ~ John Steinbeck
Old 20 Jul 2003, 14:11 (Ref:666216)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, Barrichello was the star with JPM a close second. While Barrichello did have the car under him to do the job, some of those passes were outstanding.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 14:11 (Ref:666217)   #3
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For once, Formula 1 was the real winner
Old 20 Jul 2003, 14:17 (Ref:666228)   #4
mirwin
Racer

mirwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DaMatta did a great job as well. He held on to the lead without making a mistake.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 14:20 (Ref:666232)   #5
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubens, you are my hero. It'll take a masterclass to stop that being Drive of the Year. Top draw, and thoroughly deserved.

(And ANOTHER great race in 2003!! And they want to change the qulifying for 2004.... )
Old 20 Jul 2003, 14:24 (Ref:666236)   #6
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best of the day was Rubens. But isn't it great to see that the old hands haven't lost it. Both Rubens and DC's manoevres were great to watch.
By far the worst performance, for us in the UK, was ITV, IMO.
Time and again they pulled out of an overtaking shot to let us see a digger, or an empty piece of track. We saw almost nothing of Schumi and Alonso, at the time when they were providing the only action. We didn't see what happened between them to split them up. We were denied seeing more of Fernando's defensive skills. Interviews with drivers and celebs were fluffed. As usual the studio pundits made sure we heard more of them than hearing the story of the race from the drivers. Clearly the TV race director understands nothing about racing, etc. etc. Really dreadful.
But a really great race, nonetheless.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 14:25 (Ref:666239)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
No, Barrichello was the star with JPM a close second. While Barrichello did have the car under him to do the job, some of those passes were outstanding.
For once I can agree with you Damon.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 14:29 (Ref:666243)   #8
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Blooming brilliant! Passing into bridge, surely that isn't possible!!!

Now I may not be the biggest fan of Silverstone but I think I have to admit that it does provide some fantastic racing time and time again!

This year was something special, its been a long time (if indeed ever) that I have seen a race like that. Good clean racing (only 3 retirements...all mechanical!) and plenty (an understatement!) of overtaking..... I guess that's our lot for the year!

Oh and one other thing, don't axe it, it'll be the biggest mistake formula one can make in its current crisis of low viewers and poor financial conditions.

Last edited by paulzinho; 20 Jul 2003 at 14:30.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 14:31 (Ref:666247)   #9
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"This year was something special"

Agreed.

To anyone who says "this has been the best race in years" or whatever - you have memories of goldfish.

TIP TOP!!
Old 20 Jul 2003, 14:38 (Ref:666255)   #10
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Heebeegeetee
Best of the day was Rubens. But isn't it great to see that the old hands haven't lost it. Both Rubens and DC's manoevres were great to watch.
By far the worst performance, for us in the UK, was ITV, IMO.
Time and again they pulled out of an overtaking shot to let us see a digger, or an empty piece of track. We saw almost nothing of Schumi and Alonso, at the time when they were providing the only action. We didn't see what happened between them to split them up. We were denied seeing more of Fernando's defensive skills. Interviews with drivers and celebs were fluffed. As usual the studio pundits made sure we heard more of them than hearing the story of the race from the drivers. Clearly the TV race director understands nothing about racing, etc. etc. Really dreadful.
But a really great race, nonetheless.
ITV were appalling.
BBC went to town on the golf, great coverage if that is your bag - but the ITV coverge for their home grand prix was no different to any other.
If F1 is going to regain a bit of its lost popularity, ITV need a kick up the arse.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 14:41 (Ref:666262)   #11
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Irv the Swerve
ITV were appalling.
BBC went to town on the golf, great coverage if that is your bag - but the ITV coverge for their home grand prix was no different to any other.
If F1 is going to regain a bit of its lost popularity, ITV need a kick up the arse.
And then James went on and said at the end of the race "we really must applaud the coverage today, it has been superb". . Unbelievable.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 14:45 (Ref:666264)   #12
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan

(And ANOTHER great race in 2003!! And they want to change the qulifying for 2004.... )
I don't think the qualifyingformat had anything to do with this being a great race. I don't even think that this format had anything to do with any given race in 2003 being great.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 14:47 (Ref:666266)   #13
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Without it the two Ferrari's would have walked away as they were clearly the quickest cars on track. As it was they were unable to and we had a great race as a result.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 14:48 (Ref:666270)   #14
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about Villeneuve and Schumacher actually fighting for position! That brings back a few memories... Schumacher was having a fair bit of trouble passing people today, compared to Rubens certainly.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 15:04 (Ref:666285)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie
I don't think the qualifyingformat had anything to do with this being a great race. I don't even think that this format had anything to do with any given race in 2003 being great.
I feel sorry for you, I really do. You can't accept how many thrills have been created by some wise innovative changes, that have saved Formual 1 from becoming seen as dull, dull, dull.

The qualifying system put Michael and DC down the order, Rubens and Trulli on the front row, the Toyota up there, Jenson at the back,a nd leaad to a lot of the positional changes in the early stages. Put it this way, ddo you think the order before either safety car period was feasible under a 2002 qualifying system?
Old 20 Jul 2003, 15:10 (Ref:666292)   #16
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
DaMatta could have got a podium finish he was 7 secs ahead of Montoya after the 2nd round of stops .Cant believe that Toyota didnt change to a 2 stopper .
Rubens drove the drive of his career brilliant.
Its been a while since we have had a race with so much overtaking and rain was not involved .
Old 20 Jul 2003, 15:15 (Ref:666299)   #17
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
As I said in another thread, he was only able to run at that pace because of being lighter on fuel anyway so a podium was never really on the cards for Da Matta. Great drive none the less.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 15:28 (Ref:666305)   #18
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great race, though i'd say Ferrari were the biggest loser of the top 3 teams to come out from the 'mad-man incident', Rubens have done a great job to win! And i have to admit, when i saw Rubens start, i thought he had blown it away again...

He's the star today, and a win well deserved. Other shining drivers i would say be da Matta (for matching Kimi's pace and not making a mistake while in lead).

Must applaud Bridgestone for making a response to Michelin's attack. Hopefully, they could keep up with such initiative.

Michael had a pretty average race. Tough luck for him to drop from 5th down to 14 and get caught in some pretty hard to pass traffic, when a podium seem so likely.

Poor race for Kimi. Any problems he faced in his car? He just seem to lose it under pressure pretty often, first to Rubens then to JPM what had almost seem to be a secured win...

Renault does seem to have a pretty handy car. Trulli and Alonso indeed seem to be one of the hardest-to-pass obstacles today and the car/chassis seems to be Renaults trump card (not to mention their blistering launch control!!)...

Of course, who can forget JV. We thought he had lost his fire (well, he did lose his car at the last lap..silly), but when Michael comes up to challenge him, he really stood up well to the challenge. Really a nightmare for the guy behind (especially if that guy's called Michael), but i can't help but wonder if it's one of the classic "balls bigger than brains", cause i'm though he had pushed too hard it actually had an adverse effect on his later part of the race. But still, entertaining stuff...

And pizza-boy giving Webber a hard time.... who would have thought?!
Old 20 Jul 2003, 15:33 (Ref:666308)   #19
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its also amazing that no one has mentioned the team orders at Mclaren when they asked Coulthard to move out of the way for Kimi after the restart. If Ferrari had done that then everyone would have been jumping up and down throwing the toys out the pram. What happened to them clamping down on team orders.......another F1 joke! Obviously rules for one and different ones for another.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 15:36 (Ref:666310)   #20
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Sorry but I missed that one :confused:.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 15:38 (Ref:666313)   #21
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How the hell did Jenson get ahead of JV ??JV was considerably ahead of Jenson when he was going nose to tail with Michael.Whatever Jenson did that was superb teh way he came back from the back .
Old 20 Jul 2003, 15:39 (Ref:666316)   #22
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought it was pretty interesting the relative ease (or should i say total lack of resistance) from which Kimi experience while passing DC... a shame really, when we had the Jaguar and BAR guys going all out against each other.

But until i get more info, i'd just hold my opinion over Mclaren's alledged team orders.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 15:50 (Ref:666325)   #23
GXH
Racer

GXH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter S
Its also amazing that no one has mentioned the team orders at Mclaren when they asked Coulthard to move out of the way for Kimi after the restart. If Ferrari had done that then everyone would have been jumping up and down throwing the toys out the pram. What happened to them clamping down on team orders.......another F1 joke! Obviously rules for one and different ones for another.
Totaly agree with you on that Peter, its always been ok For Ron's boys to do what they like, Bernies close successor is almost untouchable

But as for Barry winning, it was good to see...
It would have taken a brave man at Ferrari to pull him over today... only reason they prob didnt was to stop Kimmi getting max points
Old 20 Jul 2003, 15:55 (Ref:666330)   #24
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Chui
JPM silences his critics today as does Barichello. I think JPM was the "star" today, qualifying only 7th, dropping to 12th and finishing 2nd.

On the other hand Rubins drove like a man possessed in the Nigel Mansell mold. Lovely.
I agree with the Rubins part, that was fantastic. JPM drove a good race, but I did'nt notice anything brilliant. He (as was Michael and Alonso) was real unlucky at those first pit stops though.
Quote:
Originally posted by cos
How about Villeneuve and Schumacher actually fighting for position! That brings back a few memories... Schumacher was having a fair bit of trouble passing people today, compared to Rubens certainly.
Well it is a little different, one is trying to redeem himself while the other was protecting his championship lead and looking for some safe points.

I thought JV did a very good job defending against Michael. However I'm sure 'Jerez payback' was at the back of both drivers minds if he had forced the issue.

However, Jacque's blocking and weaving against the Renault (Trulli?) was disgusting.

Other good drives from DaMatta, and suprise suprise, Pizzonia. He was really driving the wheels off that car today, and for the first time, had Webbers measure.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 16:02 (Ref:666336)   #25
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
What did you make of Schu putting Alonso on to the grass into stow on the second restart then Wrex .

Tags
jpm