Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Jan 2004, 14:30 (Ref:839264)   #1
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Schumacher may cont. beyond 2006

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlin...15131709.shtml

geez.. if he does.. id say hats off to him to keep himself motivated!!!
amidst all the rumours of him retiring... he comes up with this...
id say id be very surprised if he does but... you never know!!
Old 15 Jan 2004, 14:32 (Ref:839267)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Just throwing everybody "off the scent" to end specualtion about why Ferrari have re-signed Rubens for another 2 years imo.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 14:35 (Ref:839271)   #3
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard it was only a one year deal?
Old 15 Jan 2004, 14:37 (Ref:839274)   #4
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
nope Rubinho stays till 06!
Old 15 Jan 2004, 14:39 (Ref:839278)   #5
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh right, fair enough! Schu won't stay on beyhond 2006, I doubt he'll even last that long.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 14:54 (Ref:839288)   #6
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How old would he be in 2006?

he wont stay thyat long, imho this is his last season.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 15:02 (Ref:839294)   #7
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hyperbole.....
Old 15 Jan 2004, 15:08 (Ref:839297)   #8
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
hyperbole??? :confused:
Old 15 Jan 2004, 15:26 (Ref:839305)   #9
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ralf fan
hyperbole??? :confused:
Sorry! - Hyperbole = Exaggeration (dictionary definition!)
Old 15 Jan 2004, 15:30 (Ref:839312)   #10
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Why do people insist on disbelieving and second-guessing Schuey? Why won't you take him at his word?
Old 15 Jan 2004, 15:46 (Ref:839326)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nevermind...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 15 Jan 2004 at 15:47.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 15:51 (Ref:839331)   #12
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
Why do people insist on disbelieving and second-guessing Schuey? Why won't you take him at his word?
It seems fair to at least discuss it. In 2007 Schumacher will be 38, will he really want to be hustling a GP car around, travelling the world and sticking to the regime of an F1 driver? - those are personal issues, so I guess we will never really know - until it happens.

More importantly will the 'dream team' trio of Byrne, Brawn and Todt want to continue into 2007?

IIRC Rory Byrne will be past retirement age by then, with JT close to retirement, so from a team point of view would MS want to be part of Ferrari without the three lynchpins of the team?

In anycase, the oppostion of Renault, William's and McLaren are in the ascendancy again, making it harder and harder for Ferrai to keep winning year on year. They have won the WDC for constructors for the last 5 years, the next longest winning run goes to McLaren (1988-1991).

IIRC - no constructor has won the WDC (teams) more than 5 times on the trot, so in a way the stats are not in favour of Ferrari still being champions in 2007.

In any event - why would he bother?

I've a sneaking suspicion that the signing of RB on a longer term contract adds to the overall picture that MS will retire before 2006, and his press release is part of the Ferrari smokescreen, as every one in F1 knows, when schumacher does retire we will see one almighty game of musical chairs and the 'poker players' need to take their seats, without showing their hand......

Last edited by Super Tourer; 15 Jan 2004 at 15:51.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 16:08 (Ref:839350)   #13
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I'm still unconvinced that Schuey would bother to throw out hints like this unless he genuinely was thinking of staying on beyond 2006 (as I've long suspected he might).
Old 15 Jan 2004, 16:25 (Ref:839365)   #14
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe my approach is a bit simplistic, but it strikes me that it was probably a straight answer to a straight question.

Paraphrasing, he said nothing more than, "I dunno whether I will go on after 2006, but if I feel like I do now then why not?"

Does anyone else here know exactly how they'll feel in two and a half years time?
Old 15 Jan 2004, 16:26 (Ref:839366)   #15
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here comes 7,8 & 9 and maybe more go Schumi go
Old 15 Jan 2004, 16:29 (Ref:839372)   #16
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
He's going to go for No 10 ,Then he will be known as "The Immortal One"....
Old 15 Jan 2004, 16:31 (Ref:839374)   #17
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I think he'll see his contract out, and, as garcon says, he'll see how he feels. If he is still in a good car, and winning, and the dream team is together - why not indeed?!

By the way, I know Byrne wants to design America's cup boats (like Newey has threatened in the past), and Brawn has a bad back - but I think Todt is young enough to keep going for quite some time.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 16:35 (Ref:839379)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Let's remember that TGF is unique, and has started a new standard in F1. So, I won't be surprised if he breaks records about longevity in F1...
Old 15 Jan 2004, 16:35 (Ref:839381)   #19
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
I think he'll see his contract out, and, as garcon says, he'll see how he feels. If he is still in a good car, and winning, and the dream team is together - why not indeed?!

By the way, I know Byrne wants to design America's cup boats (like Newey has threatened in the past), and Brawn has a bad back - but I think Todt is young enough to keep going for quite some time.
Todt will 61 in 2007 and has already tried to retire once!

Last edited by Super Tourer; 15 Jan 2004 at 16:36.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 17:00 (Ref:839411)   #20
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
Let's remember that TGF is unique, and has started a new standard in F1. So, I won't be surprised if he breaks records about longevity in F1...
Very true, Bononi!

Athletes are staying longer and longer in all types of sports these days, even ones that are more physically gruelling and mentally demanding than F1.

I can see him doing it.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 17:10 (Ref:839415)   #21
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Holy jumping - 61! I honestly thought he was much younger! So he's only a couple of years younger than Byrne.... But they are still sharp as knives!
Old 15 Jan 2004, 17:27 (Ref:839430)   #22
ysofast
Racer

ysofast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I would like to see him go on (m.s.) he has a family and that may become a priority. His team and I do mean his team would probably come apart without him. It is also likely that confusion and contradiction is to his advantage for his post f1 life inthat he is in the news more and it increases his advertising worth. When he leaves Alonso is my wish for his car, there could be hope for the tofosi if this happens.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 20:35 (Ref:839578)   #23
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, he wants 10 titles, I say 6 is more than enough. He could have retired now, while on a high, and everyone would have wondered how much more he could have achieved.

If he wins the 2004 title, I can see him staying for 2005. If he doesn't win the 2004 title, I predict he will retire.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 21:17 (Ref:839622)   #24
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, he's not very specific on WHICH series he might still race in after 2006.

He could very well move into Touring Cars or a sports car series. He may want ot show the world that he's a complete driver and can drive cars other than F1 cars quickly.

Mario Andretti comes to mind!

Danica Patrick
Old 15 Jan 2004, 23:04 (Ref:839751)   #25
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Considering that he'll never win another F1 title, I predict TGF to retire sooner rather than later.