Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 18 Nov 2015, 00:08 (Ref:3591167)   #1
mab01UK
Veteran

mab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hot Car Magazines Modded Mini - Autospeed Show 1968

Do any other 'oldies' remember the Hot Car magazine Modded Mini as featured on the front cover below in April 1968 or perhaps have any other photos of it? It went on display at the Autospeed Racing Car Show in London and the object was to use as many as possible of the many bolt on items available for Minis at that time! I was only 11 years old back then but I clearly remember reading my older brothers Hot Car magazines and loving this Mini.............when my brother moved on to Cars and Car Conversions magazine around 1970 I continued to buy Hot Car for myself for a few more years (before also moving on to CCC) and still have some copies up in my loft that I can't bring myself to part with for nostalgia reasons!

Autospeed Show 1968
Horticultural Hall, London.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZANMfv2dko

Paddy Hopkirk on the stand with the 'Hot Car' Mini

Simon Flangeplate Special Mini - Boy Racer of the Year.....

Old 18 Nov 2015, 13:43 (Ref:3591269)   #2
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
We're obviously of a similar age. I too used to buy Hot car magazine every month with my spending money, and sadly do remember that issue of the magazine. (I dumped many years of Hot Car some time ago when I had to clear the loft at my Mum's house!).
The magazine was an offshoot of good old Car Mechanics (which used to do really interesting articles about changing the oil on your Morris 1000!) Magazine. Hot Car was edited at that time by Tony Bostock (whatever happened to him?).
Old 18 Nov 2015, 17:42 (Ref:3591305)   #3
saaben
Rookie

saaben should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish I had saved mine.

Hot car was the first car mag I bought after passing my driving test at seventeen.(1973)

I soon moved onto Custom Car and the old feller who ran my local newsagent
used to tut tut when I went in to buy it. Funny how he used to know what was inside. In fact it was top shelf stuff according to him.

I was back in the good books when I cancelled C C and ordered Autosport and
Motoring News.

I still have the Motoring News that reported the death of Gerry Marshall.
Old 20 Nov 2015, 09:05 (Ref:3591678)   #4
mab01UK
Veteran

mab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmab01UK should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Hot Car was edited at that time by Tony Bostock (whatever happened to him?).
As you say Tony Bostock was also editor of Car Mechanics magazine for many years but he was too ill to attend CM's 50th celebration in 2008 and sadly died soon after.

Some may remember that GAY 40 was his personal numberplate on his various cars like the Opus below and his Triumph Vitesse which was used in many of the 'customising' and tuning features. That reg No. would be worth a bit now if still around but Tony's son recently said the number was accidentally allowed to lapse on an untaxed bike sent abroad in the late 1970's.......

Lots more Hot Car nostalgia here:-
http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/his...gs-36290/page2

Last edited by mab01UK; 20 Nov 2015 at 09:12.
Old 20 Nov 2015, 09:18 (Ref:3591681)   #5
mab01UK
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaben View Post
I wish I had saved mine.

Hot car was the first car mag I bought after passing my driving test at seventeen.(1973)

used to tut tut when I went in to buy it. Funny how he used to know what was inside. In fact it was top shelf stuff according to him.

Motoring News.

I too bought Custom Car for a while.....
then also moved on to Motoring News and my brother got Autosport, being a newspaper sadly most of the MN were later thrown away.
Old 20 Nov 2015, 23:48 (Ref:3591852)   #6
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow, I actually remember that copy because of the Jem, the Mini Marcos alternative.
A friend had an Opus too.

Hot Car, CC (for years) were my fav mags, Street Rodder took over the lot as I built my first hot rod, a Y type ford, chopped and all that.
Featured in CC no less and on their stand at Ally Pally iirc.
CC of old would never be on the W H Smith's stands today!

It gave way to a Ford model A tudor, chopped that I never finished.
Sold to buy/restore and hillclimb an early 911 bought in 1988.

Still have it.

A lot of ex-custom hot rod builders everywhere keep turning up.

Very very happy days in the 70's.
Attached Thumbnails
turbo3 003.jpg   turbo3 007.jpg   turbo3 002.jpg  

Old 21 Nov 2015, 19:23 (Ref:3592227)   #7
saaben
Rookie

saaben should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember the photo shoot of Barry Lee sat in his hot rod at Walthamstow Stadium with Nicola draped half naked on the bonnet ?

I had forgotten this, until I bought the excellent book, Hot Rod Racing-the golden years- by BTCC support commentator Richard John Neil.

Happy days indeed.
Old 24 Nov 2015, 15:42 (Ref:3593016)   #8
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to read Custom Car and CCC before Autosport and Motoring News. One of the lecturers from College used to write for CCC.
Old 24 Nov 2015, 20:10 (Ref:3593076)   #9
mab01UK
Veteran

The late Micky Bray built the famous Ford Pop - 'Pinball Wizard' in the 1970's a regular at Custom Car and Rod shows of the era. He was also later a Mini Se7en Racer and shared his first race Mini with my late brother Steve Bell for a couple of seasons........Micky sadly died from cancer in 2006.

Some more pics of Pinball Wizard here:
http://www.rodsnsods...ll-wizard-42136

Pinball Wizard in the 1970's
Mickey Bray in action racing his Mini Se7en 23rd July 2005 at Silverstone, note the cars sponsor.....Metalflake a link back to his early Custom Car days.
and the Corgi version of Mickey Brays Mini 7 Racer.

"The late Mickey Bray`s Metalflake Mini 7 car was built by Mickey in the late 80`s and was campaigned every year up until the end of 2005 during which time the car did not suffer any major accident damage. A testament to Mickeys` driving. The car was simple, ultra competive and very reliable. In the highly competitive world of Mini 7 racing Mickey invariably finished in or around the top 10, winning at Brands Hatch in 1998 whilst overcoming a 10 sec start penalty. The cars last outing was the last race of 2005 at Rockingham Motor Speedway where it finished 6th."
Old 14 Dec 2015, 11:36 (Ref:3597673)   #10
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
HOT CAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaben View Post
I wish I had saved mine.

Motoring News.

I remember HOT CAR Magazine. Here's an old photograph from it.
Attached Thumbnails
Hot Car Magazine..jpg  
Old 14 Dec 2015, 20:35 (Ref:3597782)   #11
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My Word!

Tony Bostock!

I well remember him. Started off at Car Mechanics magazine in the 1960s.

The last I remember, he was restoring a World War Two MGB That's a Motor Gun Boat, just in case someone believes it came from Abingdon!) and writing about it, copiously in some mag the name of which escapes me....

Memories........ Little lads coming into the showroom to buy a car with a "Knowledgeable Mate" alongside, who had a rolled up Car Mechanics in his back pocket, folded back to "How to buy a car and avoid the naughty dealers"!

Happy days.
Old 14 Feb 2016, 23:17 (Ref:3614690)   #12
mab01UK
Veteran

Another photo of the Hot Car Mini!