Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Nov 2014, 17:37 (Ref:3478277)   #76
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
He says one thing then tries to weasel his way out of it by saying he was ''misquoted''. I've got to the point now, where I don't care what Bernie says anymore.
+1
Old 24 Nov 2014, 20:11 (Ref:3478336)   #77
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Some of you have been listening to Eccelstone for years.

And you're only now wakin' up to the reality that Eccelstone talks in riddles?

Course he's been trollin' us, that's just what he does.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 20:38 (Ref:3478349)   #78
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Some of you have been listening to Eccelstone for years.

And you're only now wakin' up to the reality that Eccelstone talks in riddles?

Course he's been trollin' us, that's just what he does.
I've always taken what he says with a massive pinch of salt but this latest comment isn't someone talking in riddles. I've no intention of being denigrating or insulting but this really comes across as a confused old man, who has dementia and I've had first hand experience of someone with dementia.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 20:56 (Ref:3478358)   #79
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't imagine CVC leaving Bernie in charge too long if they suspected he had dementia.
A lot of Bernie's remarks are used to get what he wants. Sometimes he says something to provoke others into action. Other times they are used to get a deal done elsewhere. He sometimes uses outrageous comments to divert attention away from the real story.

A lot of the time one needs to note what is not said rather than what Bernie says.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 23:28 (Ref:3480901)   #80
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've known several people with dementia, as I imagine most of us have. Bernie clearly doesn't have dementia. He has quite selective hearing and seems to choose to misunderstand the issue. The only time that he seemed less than in control of the situation was when Force India, Lotus and Sauber threatened a boycott, and that's just because it caught him off guard. The following race he'd made no concessions and manipulated the facts to make it look like it was those teams causing the issue.

I don't think that Bernie is directly responsible for issues that F1 has at the moment, but he hasn't done anything to prevent it either. We do need to work out some sort of succession for the series though due mostly to his age, there's only so long that he can keep it up.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 01:00 (Ref:3480917)   #81
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Katz View Post
I don't think that Bernie is directly responsible for issues that F1 has at the moment, but he hasn't done anything to prevent it either.
I think he is directly responsible.

Before he got control there were lots of little teams. If I recall correctly, there were one car teams. Even in the 1980's, the Garagiste element remained in F1.

Bernie felt the small teams were very unprofessional and started on his campaign of trying to make F1 seem bigger, more professional, more popular. Marginalizing the small teams was part of his campaign, as was more emphasis on "The Show", which meant that innovations that could allow a single team to be dominant had to be stamped out. It was the beginning of the march to the current specification-driven (as compared to the old "formula"-driven) F1 cars we have today.

In closing off avenues for innovation with the well-intentioned goal of curbing cost, it only drove progress into smaller and more expensive areas, resulting in the explosion of budgets that has us where we are today.

Contemporary F1 has Bernie's fingerprints on every aspect of it.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 01:13 (Ref:3480921)   #82
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Katz View Post
I've known several people with dementia, as I imagine most of us have. Bernie clearly doesn't have dementia. He has quite selective hearing and seems to choose to misunderstand the issue. The only time that he seemed less than in control of the situation was when Force India, Lotus and Sauber threatened a boycott, and that's just because it caught him off guard. The following race he'd made no concessions and manipulated the facts to make it look like it was those teams causing the issue.

I don't think that Bernie is directly responsible for issues that F1 has at the moment, but he hasn't done anything to prevent it either. We do need to work out some sort of succession for the series though due mostly to his age, there's only so long that he can keep it up.
I know he can be deliberately evassive and chooses to misunderstand deliberately but I think it was that interview with Ted Kravitz that made me think otherwise, he seemed utterly clueless. Either way, if he hasn't got dementia, he's not doing himself any favours while people speculate as to whether he has dementia or not.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 01:43 (Ref:3480932)   #83
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
There's no signs of dementia.

There's signs that his control is slipping as a result of the bribery debacle taking a chunk out of his standing. There's also signs that he can't handle media interviews - but he was never able to handle media interviews really. To CVC, he's very embarrassing but also the indispensable man who alone can make sense of the mystery-kingdom that he created - so they need have him on hand so they must bear the embarrassment.

F1 is Dr. Eccelstone's monster. He has been accredited with its success, it's current failures are his responsibility. Particularly as the FIA - who's supposed to be whipping this sport into shape - is an impotent rubberstamp office due to Eccelstone conniving with Mosley.

So that's where we are at the moment.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 02:00 (Ref:3480935)   #84
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
There's no signs of dementia.

There's signs that his control is slipping as a result of the bribery debacle taking a chunk out of his standing. There's also signs that he can't handle media interviews - but he was never able to handle media interviews really. To CVC, he's very embarrassing but also the indispensable man who alone can make sense of the mystery-kingdom that he created - so they need have him on hand so they must bear the embarrassment.

F1 is Dr. Eccelstone's monster. He has been accredited with its success, it's current failures are his responsibility. Particularly as the FIA - who's supposed to be whipping this sport into shape - is an impotent rubberstamp office due to Eccelstone conniving with Mosley.

So that's where we are at the moment.
I think there are but I'll leave it at that, otherwise yes I agree about the current failures being his responsibility. It's slowly been brewing for years and now it's finally spilling over.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 11:21 (Ref:3481023)   #85
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I think Bernie did a pretty good job managing F1 until about ten years ago with the purchase by CVC and when he bought the rights for practically nothing. IMO the greed of making money for CVC has overshadowed his past success. If he'd retired before that we'd probably be praising him for his work.
Old 2 Dec 2014, 12:39 (Ref:3481043)   #86
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Eccelstone is something of a genius. He built the sport and then broke it. But for all the riches that befell the sport, he was never the right man to run it. His motives were unsound and the chickens were always going to come home to roost - sooner rather than later.

What was needed is a man who understands sustainability and has a thought for the long term interests of the sport. Suppose it's a moot point now. We have what we have.
Old 4 Aug 2015, 00:12 (Ref:3563628)   #87
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Is this a change in tactics from FOM embracing the "new media" in an attempt to increase GP viewership figures, or just a violation of Uncle Bernie's exclusivity agreements?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qtHS9r6VNI

Hungarian GP Full Race!

Last edited by wnut; 4 Aug 2015 at 00:22.
Old 4 Aug 2015, 00:25 (Ref:3563629)   #88
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Is this a change in tactics from FOM embracing the "new media" in an attempt to increase GP viewership figures, or just a violation of Uncle Bernie's exclusivity agreements?

Full Race!
I didn't hear or read anything about full GPs being shown on YouTube? I see this was put up on YouTube on July 26, 2015, the same day as the race but I would have thought after it was televised.
Old 4 Aug 2015, 00:30 (Ref:3563631)   #89
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Lewis Hamilton shows off his new plaited hairstyle
..http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/for...#ixzz3hnkeMlRb

You sure they aren't interested in the younger generation?.
In my day I dont remember Jim Clark or Graham Hills hair do making the headlines..
Old 4 Aug 2015, 00:48 (Ref:3563634)   #90
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post

In my day I dont remember Jim Clark or Graham Hills hair do making the headlines..
Graham Hill was well known for his Duck's Arse hair style and tache.

Old 4 Aug 2015, 00:52 (Ref:3563635)   #91
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post

Soft around the middle ....
Old 4 Aug 2015, 00:58 (Ref:3563637)   #92
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Graham Hill was well known for his Duck's Arse hair style and tache.

Graham and Brylcreem missed out on a great partnership!
Old 4 Aug 2015, 01:06 (Ref:3563638)   #93
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Graham and Brylcreem missed out on a great partnership!
I hate to think what the combination of Brylcreem and sweat would do to the inside of a helmet or a fireproof Balaclava.
Old 4 Aug 2015, 01:12 (Ref:3563643)   #94
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
I hate to think what the combination of Brylcreem and sweat would do to the inside of a helmet or a fireproof Balaclava.
Anti-fireproofing for "Real Men!"
Old 4 Aug 2015, 15:17 (Ref:3563733)   #95
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I didn't hear or read anything about full GPs being shown on YouTube? I see this was put up on YouTube on July 26, 2015, the same day as the race but I would have thought after it was televised.
Its also not from the official F1/FOM YouTube channel. Actually seems like a clever way around the obvious copyright issues.

Aside from the picture in picture deal, the quality is outstanding.

From that autosport survey the was an unsurprising low number of young viewers who took part in the survey.

Trying to tie this into the current discussion of hairstyes, I would have thought having long hair in the past was directly linked to the playboy decadent lifestyle and talked about hand in hand in much the same way the mixing of sport, celebrity, and culture is talked about these days.

In light of this thread i think it's fair to ask if it's actually BE who is against young people or rather is he just protecting the interests and viewpoints of the older and aging F1 fan base?
Old 4 Aug 2015, 16:22 (Ref:3563744)   #96
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Hungarian GP Full Race!
And... BOOM! it's gone. Pulled by FOM. So no, it apparently just flew under the radar?

Richard
Old 4 Aug 2015, 22:42 (Ref:3563809)   #97
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
And... BOOM! it's gone. Pulled by FOM. So no, it apparently just flew under the radar?

Richard
I guess it was way to progressive a move for the "take gun out of holster carefully aim at your foot and fire brigade!"

SAD, just plain SAD!

If I was on the board of directors of an F1 sponsor, I would be pretty hostile about what was happening to the company's money! How many eyeballs are watching?
Old 16 Aug 2015, 02:31 (Ref:3566251)   #98
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I have spent 7 months in the third world, no internet or TV for me. Hungary was the first GP of the year for me. The first F1 was qualifying at Silverstone which I watched from my bed in a third world hotel, a rare opportunity.

While Hungary threw up a unique result and provided an interesting result the penalty / stewards situation left me.... well,,,,,, stewing. If this is what GP racing has sunk to NO ONE should watch....
Old 22 Aug 2015, 17:13 (Ref:3567711)   #99
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
the penalty / stewards situation left me.... well,,,,,, stewing. If this is what GP racing has sunk to NO ONE should watch....
Yes, as of today, McLaren has so many penalties they are expected to start from first and second on the 2015 Monaco grid.
Old 22 Aug 2015, 17:53 (Ref:3567719)   #100
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
In light of this thread i think it's fair to ask if it's actually BE who is against young people or rather is he just protecting the interests and viewpoints of the older and aging F1 fan base?
There's only one interest that BE protects.