Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Dec 2007, 16:32 (Ref:2082212)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Overshare?
Old 10 Dec 2007, 12:52 (Ref:2085495)   #27
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pleased they were televised, Lewis was always going to win a handful so that garunteed the awards on ITV.

The only problem was that the awards ceremony itself wasn't geared for TV. Things like the Oscars, Baftas etc... are designed around TV, this was done the other way round having the awards first then editing it for TV afterwards. It all seemed a bit dis-jointed.

Overall it was good and I was pleased to see Lewis and Patrick win.
Old 10 Dec 2007, 13:50 (Ref:2085538)   #28
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was repeated on ITV4 yesterday for those who missed it first time around.

Am I late with this news?
Old 11 Dec 2007, 01:06 (Ref:2086133)   #29
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
Not in my opinion. Lewis Hamilton won four Grands Prix and finished 2nd in the F1 World Championship. That beats a WTCC title hands-down, and I think even Andy himself would agree.
Not in my opinion. Andy's fourth title in a row beats four GP wins hands down, and I think Lewis would agree.

Unless it is accepted fact that racing an F1 car is more difficult than a world touring car, or a world rally car, or...

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 10:03 (Ref:2086342)   #30
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
Not in my opinion. Andy's fourth title in a row beats four GP wins hands down, and I think Lewis would agree.
It's difficult to say, but if they were forced to swap careers, I have a hunch that Priaulx would be happier.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 10:17 (Ref:2086353)   #31
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Maybe, maybe not (I'm pondering it now and am unsure). However certainly not "hands down".
Old 11 Dec 2007, 23:20 (Ref:2086875)   #32
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If the MP4-22 was the best car of the year and Lewis did not win the championship, how could be possibly announced international driver of the year?

Seems to me that the guy who won more races and won the title in an "inferior" car would have had a better claim in that category...
Old 12 Dec 2007, 00:50 (Ref:2086938)   #33
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
If the MP4-22 was the best car of the year and Lewis did not win the championship, how could be possibly announced international driver of the year?
Spykers only 'claim to fame' this season was the fact that it finished ahead of McLaren in the WCC.How come they don't get a prize?
Old 12 Dec 2007, 09:13 (Ref:2087076)   #34
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a boring program. Half the choices for the recipients of the awards made no sense to me at all and again it should have been named the Lewis Hamilton Show. Same with the BBC awards, sorry the BBC Hamilton Appreciation Program. At least Hamilton didn't win that and an actual champion won it. As for Hamiltons second place when we have a double World Superbike Champion or a four time World Touring Car Champion in our country and thats forgetting the athletes. Well just about sums up the British public and how they follow the media hype like sheep. I for one hope he has a bad year next year which would have two effects. Firstly it would bring him back to planet earth and secondly, it would get the media hype off his back.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 10:05 (Ref:2087102)   #35
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
I for one hope he has a bad year next year which would have two effects. Firstly it would bring him back to planet earth and secondly, it would get the media hype off his back.
That's a bit harsh. I think Hamilton is pretty much just getting on with the job, but there's bound to be a lot of attention when he appeared in F1 and promptly started beating some of the best drivers in the world. The behaviour and attitudes of the media and the public aren't his fault.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 12 Dec 2007, 10:26 (Ref:2087108)   #36
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
What a boring program. Half the choices for the recipients of the awards made no sense to me at all and again it should have been named the Lewis Hamilton Show. Same with the BBC awards, sorry the BBC Hamilton Appreciation Program. At least Hamilton didn't win that and an actual champion won it.
Fair enough, Lewis Hamilton didn't win the Championship, but he only lost out by a point, won four Grands Prix and beat his extremely quick double-World Champion team-mate. And all this as a rookie. Frankly, I think he deserves all the accolades he gets.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 10:29 (Ref:2087110)   #37
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He is still not a F1 champion and my point is that we have other multiple world champions who deserved his award more than he did.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 10:37 (Ref:2087115)   #38
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
He is still not a F1 champion and my point is that we have other multiple world champions who deserved his award more than he did.
Damon Hill wasn't a champion when he won it in 1994, nor Mansell in 1986. C'est la vie.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 10:51 (Ref:2087119)   #39
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Well to be consistent, i must say that there were probably more deserving recipients in those years as well.
Old 12 Dec 2007, 11:20 (Ref:2087142)   #40
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Such awards are always going to be 'debatable', and that's why the results of a championship isn't dependent on them

I think lewis has done well, and i'd think he deserves his rookie title. I think this award will have accounted for the argument 'considering he is a rookie, he did well'. As for international driver, some may however feel that it should be awarded to the best performing drivers and there are a couple of them who may deserve it more?

But it's really all secondary. Doubt Kimi or anyone is too bothered with a F1 racing award or an autosports award after taking the crown (and the prize money)
Old 12 Dec 2007, 11:41 (Ref:2087153)   #41
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
Such awards are always going to be 'debatable', and that's why the results of a championship isn't dependent on them
Indeed. Deciding a championship by public vote would be ludicrous.

It's much more civilised to decide it in a courtroom
Old 12 Dec 2007, 13:54 (Ref:2087225)   #42
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
In the paper today, a correspondent points out that he thought that it was strange that considering the hype around Lewis this season, that he didn't win the top BBC award. He speculates that a proportion of the voting public may have turned against him due to his decision to leave the country to go to Switzerland for tax reasons.
Old 7 Dec 2014, 23:02 (Ref:3482962)   #43
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see where Lewis Hamilton is adding to his silverware at the Autosport Awards tonight.

However I was delighted to see Gordon Murray get the John Bolster award. He has been responsable for so many innovative cars through the years. The list is too long to even start mentioning them all. However the list includes Brabhams, McLarens road and race cars not to mention his current low cost road car projects.
Old 8 Dec 2014, 11:21 (Ref:3483084)   #44
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I spent a minute there before the penny dropped shaking my head thinkin' Mclaren's old dog one "car of the year" this year.

I said 'what on earth are those Autosport people on'!
Old 8 Dec 2014, 18:53 (Ref:3483180)   #45
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i much prefer the Autosport awards to the official FIA awards ceremony.
Old 8 Dec 2014, 20:06 (Ref:3483193)   #46
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The FIA award winners are all known. Autosport awards has a certain amount of suspense and can even be pivotal for some young drivers.