Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jul 2013, 14:22 (Ref:3277004)   #1
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ayrton Senna's contract with Lotus

Just out of curiosity to anyone interested, here's Ayrton Senna's contract with Lotus, available in the internet :

http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/sdm14j00/pdf (30/01/1987)

Some funny clauses there...
Old 12 Jul 2013, 15:05 (Ref:3277018)   #2
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
cool, dont think i have ever seen an F1 drivers contract before.

smart to have a contract between the team and your promotion company.

not allowing motorcycles and skiing seem normal but specifically mentioning hang gliding...was there an incident in the past involving another driver and hang gliding or is this a bit of an insight into Senna's thrill seeking behaviour?

anyways good find and i look forward to reading it in more detail.
Old 12 Jul 2013, 15:21 (Ref:3277021)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes there was - I forget who - a French driver I believe....
Old 12 Jul 2013, 15:39 (Ref:3277028)   #4
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yes there was - I forget who - a French driver I believe....
Patrick Depailler was badly injured in a hang gliding accident in 1979... I think he broke both legs... and had to be replaced at Ligier.
Old 12 Jul 2013, 15:44 (Ref:3277030)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's the one!
Old 12 Jul 2013, 15:46 (Ref:3277032)   #6
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
good knowledge guys, however i would have preferred an answer in the form of pet shop boys lyrics!
Old 12 Jul 2013, 15:54 (Ref:3277033)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I guess Senna's passion for dangerous sports were well known... though he was really fan of go-karts and jet-ski.
Old 12 Jul 2013, 16:48 (Ref:3277042)   #8
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
good knowledge guys, however i would have preferred an answer in the form of pet shop boys lyrics!
Everything I've ever done
Everything I ever do
Every place I've ever been
Everywhere I'm going to
It's a sin
Old 12 Jul 2013, 16:55 (Ref:3277044)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

And here's Nelson Piquet's one : http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138487
Old 12 Jul 2013, 17:09 (Ref:3277053)   #10
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Everything I've ever done
Everything I ever do
Every place I've ever been
Everywhere I'm going to
It's a sin
brilliant!
Old 13 Jul 2013, 02:39 (Ref:3277201)   #11
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice find.
Old 13 Jul 2013, 05:10 (Ref:3277213)   #12
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
cool, dont think i have ever seen an F1 drivers contract before.

smart to have a contract between the team and your promotion company.

not allowing motorcycles and skiing seem normal but specifically mentioning hang gliding...was there an incident in the past involving another driver and hang gliding or is this a bit of an insight into Senna's thrill seeking behaviour?

anyways good find and i look forward to reading it in more detail.
Derek Bennett (owner designer of Chevron cars) was also killed in a hang gliding incident so hang gliding was regarded as a difficult and dangerous sport, more so than motor racing....
Old 13 Jul 2013, 11:12 (Ref:3277284)   #13
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Just out of curiosity to anyone interested, here's Ayrton Senna's contract with Lotus, available in the internet :

http://legacy.library.ucsf.edu/tid/sdm14j00/pdf (30/01/1987)

Some funny clauses there...
I wonder what the clause for negotiations with Pirelli was for? I thought that Goodyear had a pretty much closed deal at that point?
Old 13 Jul 2013, 13:25 (Ref:3277317)   #14
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
"Left on my own in Devises I probably would?"
Old 18 Jul 2013, 04:35 (Ref:3278981)   #15
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
US$1.5m salary and US$4,000 per point for 1987? That's so cheap compared to what the drivers earn today. Senna took 57 points in 1987 that means US$228,000.

That means he earned less than US$1.8m that year.
Old 18 Jul 2013, 05:05 (Ref:3278984)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa View Post
US$1.5m salary and US$4,000 per point for 1987? That's so cheap compared to what the drivers earn today. Senna took 57 points in 1987 that means US$228,000.

Plus the backing of Nacional Bank of Brasil..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 18 Jul 2013, 09:27 (Ref:3279026)   #17
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
There has been a lot of inflation since 1986..... So is that more like 4 million and 10,000 per point today? Only a handful of current drivers could command control that much....
Old 18 Jul 2013, 09:51 (Ref:3279032)   #18
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Given the inflation and the rise in revenue in the sport since then, I was actually surprised he earned that much. I'd take that, even in today's money if you twist my arm!
Old 18 Jul 2013, 12:51 (Ref:3279077)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

If I remember correctly, that was a breakthrough for driver's salaries at the time, specially Piquet's one. No driver earned so much at the time and then it started a new era of contracts in F1.

Senna had to move from England to Monaco (87) for tax reasons, you know what I mean.

Just for the record, that same year (88) Piquet started to live in his yatch newly built in Monaco, and had a jet and a helicopter to fly to the races... another trend soon to be followed by other drivers.
Old 18 Jul 2013, 13:12 (Ref:3279086)   #20
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

$1.8m (USD) in today's money is worth approximately $3.7m (USD). I'd shake your hand off for that contract. Especially to race a 99T.
Old 18 Jul 2013, 13:25 (Ref:3279103)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Plus the backing of Nacional Bank of Brasil..
Banco Nacional was a private bank that became famous for sponsoring Senna. In 1994 (coincidence?) it went bankrupt and was bought by Unibanco Financial Group which merged with Itaú in 2008 to become Itaú Unibanco Banco Multiplo the largest financial holding of the south hemisphere and 30º biggest company in the world.

Sorry, that's my economist side showing off !
Old 8 Dec 2014, 04:27 (Ref:3483019)   #22
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
I just finished reading Peter Warr's book "My view from the pit wall" and he described the 1987-88 Senna contract was changed after Camel became Lotus' main sponsor instead of JPS.

Camel paid double what JPS was paying and Senna and his lawyer thus asked for more by claiming the old contract was invalid as Warr said Lotus would have JPS as sponsor in 1987.

Senna's fee rose from $2.6m to $5m over two years, and the fee was paid to him directly from RJ Reynolds (Camel's parent company).

In fact there were three contracts:
RJ Reynolds with Team Lotus
RJ Reynolds with Senna
Team Lotus with Senna

Senna exercised his option to leave Lotus for McLaren in 1988, so he got less than half of the $5m in 1987. (Warr wrote that the second year of the contract pays better than the first.) This contract is probably not the final version.
Old 8 Dec 2014, 11:26 (Ref:3483087)   #23
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
A million dollars back then, would be like winning the lottery today. He was a (mere) hot up and coming young driver at the time, not the legendary multiple WDC that we know him as now.
Old 8 Dec 2014, 13:47 (Ref:3483118)   #24
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Rf1 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interestingly, Grosjean used the same tactic to keep Total backing despite Mercedes engine at Lotus.
Old 9 Dec 2014, 02:47 (Ref:3483300)   #25
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
I think Ron Dennis also seeked Senna's services in the winter of 1986, therefore Peter Warr had to offer a higher fee. Ron Dennis said afterwards although they could not get Senna, Lotus now has no money to build a decent car after what they have to pay to keep Senna.

In a way I think Senna was the reason of Lotus' subsequent decline. If Peter Warr had been able to spend money on a wind tunnel or other technological stuff, then the team might have been able to keep up in the tech war.