Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 19 Apr 2006, 17:11 (Ref:1588884)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Due to emphasis possibly taken away from the Capri quest, i've decided to set up separate thread for everything else CC did!!

Posts from original thread to follow.....

CC were also involved in the Tiga-Lambo Grp C project, latterly driven by Tiff Needell. Don't know what happened to that thing?

Last edited by chunterer; 21 Jan 2009 at 12:17.
Old 31 Jan 2007, 13:55 (Ref:1830219)   #2
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Were CC involved in the Tiff N Tiga Lambo Group C car, I never knew that ??
Old 31 Jan 2007, 14:31 (Ref:1830250)   #3
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Well i'm not sure if CC were involved when Tiff drove it but if I recall the original plan was for them to run 1 or 2 Lambo engined Tigas in C1 in 1985 or 86.

The plans were mooted quite late I think after the end of the Group A programme, but the project never came off.

Assuming it is the same car, I reckon the car must've been their prototype and then taken over by whoever ran Tiff?

Last edited by chunterer; 2 Feb 2007 at 15:58.
Old 5 Feb 2007, 13:55 (Ref:1833936)   #4
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear
Were CC involved in the Tiff N Tiga Lambo Group C car, I never knew that ??
The car ran only once, Kyalami non-championship race, end-of-season 1986, I remember seeing the car at Monza in private testing october same year, Mauro Baldi driving, Luigi Marmiroli (then at Lamborghini) overseeing, and I remember a "CC Racing" service truck there, must even have it in slides, that sooner or later I'll be able to scan
Old 13 Feb 2007, 07:58 (Ref:1840131)   #5
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Separate note CC were also involved in the Tiga-Lambo Grp C project, latterly driven by Tiff Needell. Don't know what happened to that thing?
I think it ended up in the Haynes Motor Musem in Somerset. There's a photo of it on display there in Ian Briggs' book 'Endurance Racing 1982-1991', published in the early 90s. According to that, it was acquired by the Haynes collection shortly after it's one and only race appearance at Kyalami. Presumably it's still there?

http://www.haynesmotormuseum.com/museum/index.html
Old 15 Feb 2007, 11:04 (Ref:1842025)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

I wonder if this project was responsible for the CC 'split'?

After all, this Group C thing never took off and then Dave Cook set up Dave Cook Racing Services around the same time which then went onto become a pretty successful preparation business in its own right.

I'm not quite sure what the late Pete Clark did afterwards but I know he ran a few people under the CC Motorsport banner such as Bob Sands in a BTCC Sierra Cosworth for a bit in 1988?

Dave Cook on the other hand continued to prepare production and touring spec cars for people around Europe, like Toyota Supras for the Martin brothers in Belgium. In the UK, Dave looked after Thundersaloon projects like the Cologne Capri of Vince Woodman, then the Senator and Carlton which Vince shared with John Cleland. This effectively kicked off DCRS's relationship with GM and Cleland which continued into Group A with the class winning BTCC Astra GTE and then the early days of Super Touring with the Cavaliers.

Surely Clark and Cook combined (and separately?) must be the most underrated of preparation experts, when you consider that the likes of Alan Mann, Andy Rouse, TWR and Prodrive have become legendary prep outfits over the years?

Last edited by chunterer; 10 May 2021 at 21:56.
Old 23 Jun 2008, 11:55 (Ref:2235582)   #7
AndyN
Rookie

England
Somerset, naturalised
AndyN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Group C Lamborghini

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
I think it ended up in the Haynes Motor Musem in Somerset. There's a photo of it on display there in Ian Briggs' book 'Endurance Racing 1982-1991', published in the early 90s. According to that, it was acquired by the Haynes collection shortly after it's one and only race appearance at Kyalami. Presumably it's still there?

http://www.haynesmotormuseum.com/museum/index.html
I remember seeing the Lambo at this museum, I am guessing about 15+ years ago, and suitably inspired by watching the Group C support race at Le Mans I thought I would go and pay it a visit for old times sake. Turns out it is not there anymore, some Googling reveals it may be in Japan, shame.... Seems to have been sold in 1993..
Old 16 Dec 2008, 11:08 (Ref:2355915)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

I don't think it's been brought up before, but I read somewhere briefly the other day that CC did the prep for Tony Lanfranchi's '83 BTCC Opel Monza?

I wonder how that came about as CC were still connected to Ford at the time. Although they had finished with the Capri's (may still have prepped some 3.0's for overseas customers) they had spent a lot of development time on the Woodman Esso Mustang for the ETC and presumably all hoped it would be admitted to the BTCC big class (of course that didn't happen and the deal was done to run the BMW GB cars in 1984 instead.)

I'm guessing this was the beginning of the link between GM and Dave Cook who split from Pete Clarke at the end of 1984 when the works BMW deal stopped and later ran the Thundersaloon Senator, Carlton, Astras and Cavaliers?

Last edited by chunterer; 21 Jan 2009 at 12:30.
Old 21 Jan 2009, 12:26 (Ref:2376055)   #9
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

CC chassis possibilities

Largely copied from Capri thread, an update.

Before anything official can be added to the Chassis archive, I thought that an outline of what we know about CC chassis numbers might help jog some memories as to their histories and how many there were.

I am also going to add other race cars that the company built and developed.

Group 1 Ford Capri 3.0s - British & European Saloon Car Championship entries 1978-82:
CC1 - CC25

Then:
CC26 or
CC27 - might have been the ETC Group A Mustang project that only ran for a year in 1983. Probably canned due to CC/BMW deal for 84. (We don't know if CC actually built those cars though, in which case the Mustangs may not have CC specific chassis numbers).

Group A Opel Monza - BTCC 1983?
CC26 OR 27?

Group A BMW 635 CSi - BTCC/ETC 1984
There was also a spare Eggenberger built car that was a very early 635 but possibly not assigned a CC number? If it did get one it is likely to be CC28
CC29 James Weaver
CC30 Vince Woodman
CC31 Vince Woodman (CC30 Rebuilt according to ian beckett)
The 3 cars were sold to Frank Sytner in 1985 and one then went to Mike Newman. Which one we need to confirm.

The last car that the firm may have built then is:
Grp C Tiga Lambo. If numbers are consecutive then this may well have been designated CC32?

There's also a possibility that other cars the firm built or developed but may never have seen competitive action, or maybe were sold abroad were also given CC chassis numbers.

There's an awful long way to go with this folks!

Last edited by chunterer; 21 Jan 2009 at 12:34.
Old 9 Jan 2010, 10:59 (Ref:2610389)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Jesper brings up the question of the Bob Sands Sierra RS500 in the BTCC thread.

I'm assuming this would have been given a CC chassis plate as well?

It came after the Lambo C project, and was thought to be the last car CC did before Pete and Dave split.
Old 9 Jan 2010, 13:13 (Ref:2610465)   #11
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Jesper brings up the question of the Bob Sands Sierra RS500 in the BTCC thread.

I'm assuming this would have been given a CC chassis plate as well?

It came after the Lambo C project, and was thought to be the last car CC did before Pete and Dave split.
This probably won't help any, but the info I've got is that this car went to JQF / Fina and was run for the first part of the '89 BTCC season, then passed to Stuart Donnan for a few outings in '90 and then onto Thundersaloons. I'm pretty sure the Donnan TS Sierra was ex-van Kouwen, (although there was two of them - nothing I've seen about the Donnan car mentions it being "active" like the second van Kouwen car), and I'm working on someone else's research that the Sands Crystal / CC car went to JQF for van Kouwen.

At the end of '88 it was up for sale for £60k. More than the slightly newer (reshelled) and similar (Rouse) spec CAM Shipping car of Lawrence Bristow! (which also ended up in Thundersaloons, iirc).
Old 9 Jan 2010, 19:36 (Ref:2610650)   #12
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Group A Opel Monza - BTCC 1983?
CC26 OR 27?
The GMDS Group A Monza ended up as a Thundersaloon, first in original 3-litre form, then later with a 5-litre Chevy V8.

It was being advertised for sale in Autosport in the mid/late 80's by Joe Ward:.

'Opel Monza Thundersaloon

Ex-Lanfranchi GpA car modified to accept 5.0 litre Chevrolet V8 or original GpA 3.0 litre. Eligible Thundersaloons, Special Saloons or Mod saloons. For sale as rolling chassis + 12 wheels, tyres and spares. Price £8K. Two original Gp A engines, £3K (pair)

A pic of the car in an Oulton Thundersaloon race on the Autosport forum recently showed it little-changed externally from Group A spec
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...9_481427_n.jpg
(Photo copyright Phil Rainford)

As a comparison, Lanfranchi at the 1983 TT
http://www.racingsportscars.com/etcc...-09-11-038.jpg
Old 10 Jan 2010, 17:58 (Ref:2611109)   #13
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilkinson View Post
This probably won't help any, but the info I've got is that this car went to JQF / Fina and was run for the first part of the '89 BTCC season, then passed to Stuart Donnan for a few outings in '90 and then onto Thundersaloons. I'm working on someone else's research that the Sands Crystal / CC car went to JQF for van Kouwen.
On the conrtary, it all helps!

How we'd get the chassis number is another thing altogether though!!

We don't know how many cars may have been built for overseas Group A customers between 1983 and 1988 (or even Group N cars and such like) but if the '84 Bee-ems were CC29-31, and the Lambo was CC32 or later, then the Sierra if it had such a tag might be as late as CC40 or something??

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
The GMDS Group A Monza ended up as a Thundersaloon, first in original 3-litre form, then later with a 5-litre Chevy V8.

It was being advertised for sale in Autosport in the mid/late 80's by Joe Ward.
Ah yes, thanks KA! I had a feeling that was the same car, back in the day and hadn't thought about it in relation to this thread until I read the entry list for the first Thundersaloon race recently.

But crucially until I'd read the preview in the '83 TT programme, I didn't have any clue that the car was originally CC built!! I've mentioned it before but this must've been the beginning oif the relationship between Dave Cook and Vauxhall, even if they didn't combine forces as builder and entrant again until 1985 thanks to CC's BMW deal for '84.....
Old 11 Jan 2010, 13:23 (Ref:2611600)   #14
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilkinson View Post
This probably won't help any, but the info I've got is that this car went to JQF / Fina and was run for the first part of the '89 BTCC season, then passed to Stuart Donnan for a few outings in '90 and then onto Thundersaloons. I'm pretty sure the Donnan TS Sierra was ex-van Kouwen, (although there was two of them - nothing I've seen about the Donnan car mentions it being "active" like the second van Kouwen car), and I'm working on someone else's research that the Sands Crystal / CC car went to JQF for van Kouwen.
At the end of '88 it was up for sale for £60k. More than the slightly newer (reshelled) and similar (Rouse) spec CAM Shipping car of Lawrence Bristow! (which also ended up in Thundersaloons, iirc).
Stuart Donnan's RS500 was certainly the ex Van Kouwen JQF car.
From what I rememeber from attending the JQF 'Closing Down Sale' (who were based at Easton Neston - originally the home of Hesketh), this car was complete, then there was another prepared (or semi-prepared) RS500 bodyshell.
The much talked about 'active suspension' was (again IIRC) not full active suspension, but used conventional steel springing, the active part was for the anti-roll bars. This whole package was sold (in a series of boxes!) seperately at the auction.