Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 22 Nov 2023, 20:12 (Ref:4186932)   #751
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
No, I broke my own rules which is why I rarely participate in the spotting thread. Most people I see are watching videos even though you aren't allowed to use your phones here either. I don't want laws to be enforced in a draconian manner, so I just wish people had more common sense. Half of the population has a double digit IQ and think physics is a form of exercise, so I don't see that happening.

It's being enforced rigorously over here because it is claimed that using mobiles whilst driving is or has caused as many accidents, many very serious ones with loss of life or life changing results, as those who drive whilst impaired through drink or drugs.
Old 23 Nov 2023, 00:28 (Ref:4186944)   #752
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
It's being enforced rigorously over here because it is claimed that using mobiles whilst driving is or has caused as many accidents, many very serious ones with loss of life or life changing results, as those who drive whilst impaired through drink or drugs.
I have no information in front of me but I know this to be true. Most of the accidents and close calls I see, and I see A LOT, are from people staring at their phone. And again, having no statistics, I feel like apps like Uber or Lyft have greatly reduced drinking and driving incidents.
Old 23 Nov 2023, 00:51 (Ref:4186945)   #753
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You can tell when following someone. It’s that or they are drunk. It looks the same.

Obviously at some point I have done this. I could tell I am not driving as well.

Fines and points is fine by me when stopped at lights for people who aren’t ready to go. They sacrifice several other cars getting through and add to traffic. Selfish beyond the pale.

/rant
Old 23 Nov 2023, 01:05 (Ref:4186947)   #754
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

Fines and points is fine by me when stopped at lights for people who aren’t ready to go. They sacrifice several other cars getting through and add to traffic. Selfish beyond the pale.

/rant
This.

I don't observe lots of in motion infractions but the sitting at a light and not going is every light here and one of my biggest pet peeves. Especially when you are in a heavy traffic situation, just a waste of everyone's time. I pride myself at getting as close to the bumper in front of me as possible. So much so that it scares my family
Old 23 Nov 2023, 01:37 (Ref:4186949)   #755
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
You can tell when following someone. It’s that or they are drunk. It looks the same.

Obviously at some point I have done this. I could tell I am not driving as well.

/rant
All of us aren't perfect and have regrets, however...

Yes! And I know they aren't drunk. I almost got sideswiped on the road I live off of yesterday morning. Lady came way over the double yellow. I could see the top of her head. No one needs to hear what her dumbass was texting at 7am.

And another yes! "Selfish c-word-that-Brits-often-say-but-is-unholy-to-Americans" is yelled at my windshield multiple times a day. Just pay attention and get through the light, PLEASE!

Last edited by JHamilton; 23 Nov 2023 at 01:45.
Old 23 Nov 2023, 01:40 (Ref:4186950)   #756
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It’s just common decency to pay attention when driving and when sitting still at a junction.

It might not seem like a big crime, but it adds up. It can waste minutes of several people’s lives and it knocks on to the next lot. The cumulative effect is massive. Something Anthony J. Crowley would be proud of. Far better/worse than tying up a telephone system.

/rant
Old 23 Nov 2023, 01:50 (Ref:4186952)   #757
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
You are correct. In addition to the 200k miles, my truck has 6500 engine hours. That means I have spent at least 9 months of my life in that truck. Easily well over a year of my life in a car. Please, please go. I'm begging.
Old 23 Nov 2023, 01:59 (Ref:4186954)   #758
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
That's 17% of my life over the last 13 years. That's honestly horrifying but explains why I like my trusty steed so much.
Old 23 Nov 2023, 02:25 (Ref:4186956)   #759
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Old 23 Nov 2023, 06:37 (Ref:4186970)   #760
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

It's not just looking at your phone - having a conversation can be distracting as I can attest to from the following observation:

Our car had broken down on the approach to a roundabout. We had stopped just short of the entrance to the roundabout and the road was wide enough for people to go around. We got out of the car, left the hazards on, then moved to the grass verge to wait for the recovery truck.
Over the next ten or so minutes, many drivers pulled up behind the car - saw that the car was stopped with hazards applied - and went round and continued their journey.
Then - a skip lorry pulled up behind our car, the driver was on the phone making a call. They say behind our car for a couple of minutes whilst the call continued. Eventually they ended their call, at which point their horn then came into the equation and wild gesticulations at the car in front ensued. After this garnered no response from the car, they climbed down out of the cab and went to confront the 'driver'. Having found the car empty, they sheepishly climbed back into their cab, backed up and went round.

The lack of awareness caused by using the phone? The driver's focus was on the call, and as a result had not realised that the car they had pulled up behind was empty and flashing hazards.

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
Old 24 Nov 2023, 11:06 (Ref:4187117)   #761
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
What is amazing now in parisian area are the sents of marijuana coming out of cars. How do I know? I'm a biker and it becomes obvious when you follow or overtake to join next traffic lights. They are not drunk, I hope, neither are texting, I hope, but they're stone I'm sure!
Old 24 Nov 2023, 11:18 (Ref:4187121)   #762
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They're using cameras here to catch anyone touching a 'portable electronic device', doing good business too which is good news to we who wish to survive our car travel. Big signs everywhere, but the idiots amongst us appear to suffer reading deficits (fortunately).
Old 24 Nov 2023, 11:22 (Ref:4187122)   #763
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Here, at night, they watch the truck drivers on the highways. Drivers face are illuminated by TV or portable screens, easy to spot in the dark. Can be seen from a tchopper too.
Old 6 Jan 2024, 01:59 (Ref:4190907)   #764
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Hit 200k miles this morning.
There a tiny light shining down from the headliner onto the console that hasn't worked in many, many years. It decided to return to service this evening.

I wish that exhaust manifold crack would fix itself.
Old 6 Jan 2024, 02:01 (Ref:4190908)   #765
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
There a tiny light shining down from the headliner onto the console that hasn't worked in many, many years. It decided to return to service this evening.
Wonderful.
Quote:
I wish that exhaust manifold crack would fix itself.
Old 22 Mar 2024, 23:46 (Ref:4202328)   #766
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just picked up a used Ranger for one of my coworkers. It is a decent truck, but that color doesn't work for me
Old 23 Mar 2024, 01:28 (Ref:4202343)   #767
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
If I were younger, it would work for me. I may or may not be looking at a dark blue truck in the morning. I've never owned a non-burgundy truck before though.
Old 23 Mar 2024, 02:50 (Ref:4202348)   #768
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
If I were younger, it would work for me. I may or may not be looking at a dark blue truck in the morning. I've never owned a non-burgundy truck before though.
I need a few days with this actually doing work to pass judgment on the Ranger. But this is a bright blue and the lowest trim level possible. None of it is my first choice but it has four-wheel drive and when you're picking from a small pool of used trucks you got to go with options that you need rather than what you want. 2021 with 32,000 miles.
Old 23 Mar 2024, 02:56 (Ref:4202350)   #769
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
What!? New truck?! You can’t. It’s not right.
Old 23 Mar 2024, 22:06 (Ref:4202460)   #770
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
What!? New truck?! You can’t. It’s not right.
Aw, I know it's killing me and making me nauseous. I don't want to get rid of my truck but it is about at 208k miles and will need a transmission rebuild this year. Also, I just realized a couple weeks ago that hey have stopped producing the 2024s in order to retool for the refreshed 2025 models. So what is on the dealer lots are the last of the Hemi powered trucks. The Hurricane I-6 looks like a great piece of engineering but it's not a pushrod V8.
Old 24 Mar 2024, 22:36 (Ref:4202626)   #771
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Aw, I know it's killing me and making me nauseous. I don't want to get rid of my truck but it is about at 208k miles and will need a transmission rebuild this year. Also, I just realized a couple weeks ago that hey have stopped producing the 2024s in order to retool for the refreshed 2025 models. So what is on the dealer lots are the last of the Hemi powered trucks. The Hurricane I-6 looks like a great piece of engineering but it's not a pushrod V8.
The discontinuing of the Hemi is probably the worst automotive news of my adult life. Not exaggerating, I am already planning on my next truck purchase for work being a 2023 Ram. It might be a year till that happens, but I know I want a Hemi.