Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 20 Nov 2010, 00:52 (Ref:2793310)   #1
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
SpeedingTortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SpeedingTortoise's Tracks

Hello this is my first thread and im going to post the tracks i design on here usually every week. please comment on these n tell me if there good or the next bahrain. enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 2.png  
Old 20 Nov 2010, 01:02 (Ref:2793312)   #2
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I like a number of the elements you have there.

I think the Turn 3 hairpin should be a bit more open. Also, it just seems a bit weird having that big, long thing at the bottom like that. It seems like there ought to be something more there in the lower right if you're going to have that section there.

Finally, just as a visual aid, in the future, could you do the ground around the track in a darker green so that the run-offs are more visible?
Old 20 Nov 2010, 02:12 (Ref:2793323)   #3
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like it, the design certainly would work IMHO. Looks quite a bit "Tilke" to my eyes, , if I was gonna be hard on it, I'd say you have the 3 straights tied up together and all the infield sections right next to each other, that would make for an "engine" track IMHO.

Welcome to the board!!
Old 20 Nov 2010, 07:49 (Ref:2793362)   #4
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,
welcome.

I like this one. I agree with most of what Luiggi was telling right before me - it has for me too, a distinct Tilke-feeling, but, contrary to most of us here I don't hate his tracks by default

I also agree with Luiggi in tha the distribution of the fast and technical sections seems a bit off here - rather, I find there are one more fast straights here than there should be maybe...

This one's still a very good oe IMHO.

bio

PS: y pet peeve.. a little more details on the track? Track length, for example? Based on the position of the gravel traps, the track direction seems to be clockwise, right?
Old 20 Nov 2010, 11:15 (Ref:2793394)   #5
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Oh yeah sorry for not posting these earlier. the track runs clockwise and would be 3.4 miles in length. The track would also rise from T1 to T5 and would then drop down like the right hander after les combes at spa. The track would continue to drop through the esses with the lowest point being T11. The track would again rise up towards the hairpin but after the turn it would level out before going downhill about 2/3 along the 2nd straight then around the last corner and that would be it.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 13:27 (Ref:2793430)   #6
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Thx for all the additional track info! 3.4 iles sounds just about right to me

Altitude variation... About how any meters/yards do you have between the highest and lowest points? And, especially, between the lowest point and the S/F line/paddocks level?

bio
Old 20 Nov 2010, 20:47 (Ref:2793576)   #7
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
the difference in altitude between the highest (T5 and T12) and lowest (T11) would be 75m with the difference between T11 and the S/F would only be 5m
Old 21 Nov 2010, 00:05 (Ref:2793655)   #8
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
version 2

ive read the comments and found out that most people didnt like the two long straights so ive decided to get rid of them and add a new section after T11 and ive also tweaked the last corner slightly. i also think the length has been reduced cause of this to about 3.1 miles. hope you guys like it
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 3.png  
Old 21 Nov 2010, 00:46 (Ref:2793668)   #9
bio
Veteran

Hungary
I think this looks better now.

bio
Old 21 Nov 2010, 02:23 (Ref:2793678)   #10
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I concur.

And thank you for making that color change; it definitely helps.
Old 21 Nov 2010, 17:32 (Ref:2793886)   #11
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Now that's a racer's track, I like it, the fact that is 3.1 MILES makes me think I would get off my motorcycle with my hands shaking definitively and probably need to change interiors!!!
Old 22 Nov 2010, 17:45 (Ref:2794347)   #12
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very nice

No Kilometers nonsense here.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 19:50 (Ref:2794847)   #13
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
track no. 2

Heres my 2nd track. All layouts are clockwise and there is little to no elevation change. The oval is 2.0 miles long, the full circuit 3.8 miles and the infield circuit 1.5. Oval turns 1,2 and 3 have the same level of banking except turn 4 which has significantly more.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 2.png   Picture 4.png  
Old 24 Nov 2010, 00:11 (Ref:2794960)   #14
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
By All Layouts going clockwise, I presume you intend the oval to run in an IndyF1 style "wrong way" down the front stretch ?
Old 24 Nov 2010, 01:45 (Ref:2794980)   #15
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Sorry my mistake oval and full layouts would be anti clockwise with the infield circuit clockwise
Old 28 Nov 2010, 12:59 (Ref:2796747)   #16
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
track 3

heres my 3rd track 1.9 miles, anticlockwise, no elevation changes
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 6.png  
Old 28 Nov 2010, 20:38 (Ref:2796893)   #17
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedingTortoise View Post
heres my 3rd track 1.9 miles, anticlockwise, no elevation changes
I like this alot, but would actually prefer it run clockwise. The fast corner coming out of the hairpin onto the back stretch with the an optional chicane would be wonderful. The pit entrance would also have to be adjusted but essentially the corners would be much the same.
Old 28 Nov 2010, 21:45 (Ref:2796919)   #18
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Getting better all the time!!!

I like this one even better,still the Tilke factor somehow, I like that your tracks don't look generic , your combination of elements in this one certainly make for a fun and interesting racers track.
Old 28 Nov 2010, 23:58 (Ref:2796962)   #19
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Agreed. Another great one, has everything a good track needs - speed, technicality...

bio
Old 29 Nov 2010, 02:54 (Ref:2796989)   #20
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
I like the overall shape, but I think that could be a bit too busy a track for just 1.9 miles. I think it would be excellent for the whole gambit of machinery at somewhere around 3.0 miles to the lap.

The one configuration change I'm mulling over would be to turn that chicane by the pits into a fast esse bend.
Old 29 Nov 2010, 14:42 (Ref:2797192)   #21
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
Sorry Purist but i think the track would lose its challenge at 3.0 miles long, it would be too long and not as demanding on the driver. And Luiggi, just out of curiosity what is it about my circuits that remind you of Tilke's?
Old 29 Nov 2010, 15:50 (Ref:2797223)   #22
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
I don't follow you. It looks like a substantially longer course than 1.9 miles from just looking at the diagram. Most of the 1.5-2.25-mile courses of note in the States have 8-12 corners; yours has 16. And your track has several corners that, at 1.9 miles, would be much tighter than any turn at places like Hallett, Grattan, Gingerman, or Nelson Ledges. Even internationally, tracks that have this sort of complexity are noticeably longer than 1.9 miles: like Nogaro, Oschersleben, or Okayama.

I suppose I just don't see how a track where you can't get more than 4th gear, if that, and where all the real corners are slow 2nd, or 1st gear, is a challenge, as opposed to a frustration.
Old 29 Nov 2010, 16:11 (Ref:2797229)   #23
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedingTortoise View Post
Sorry Purist but i think the track would lose its challenge at 3.0 miles long, it would be too long and not as demanding on the driver. And Luiggi, just out of curiosity what is it about my circuits that remind you of Tilke's?

I think it was the first impression that still gets me, the first one was definitively Tilkesque, Okay 3rd one it's not as... maybe I just got carried away...

So a 1.9 m circuit with lot's of curves it's not a bad thing, it's just a demanding technical circuit, mind you, I believe the minimum lenght for a circuit to be world level is 2.1 miles, not a whole lot more than 1.9
Old 29 Nov 2010, 16:53 (Ref:2797248)   #24
SpeedingTortoise
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow
tbh i designed this track with BTCC racing in mind hence its only 1.9 miles and doesnt need to be world level. and anyway theres plenty of room for expansion on the infield. possibly an idea for the future (hint, hint)
Old 30 Nov 2010, 08:52 (Ref:2797540)   #25
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even by BTCC standards this would be a very slow & twisty track at 1.9 miles. It's only a bit longer than Knockhill & is shorter than tracks like Croft, Thruxton & Oulton Park. A comparable track is Rockingham, considered twisty & a bit micky mouse...and that has several fewer corners than your track. Even by BTCC standards for a track with this many corners you would need to be looking at 2.4-3 miles, & like Purist said, more if you had any kind of international intentions...

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion