Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Apr 2015, 06:57 (Ref:3528143)   #1
mathewking21
Rookie

mathewking21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1: The Abandoned and Deserted.

I enjoy some photogenic scenes. I enjoy the classic F1 picture topic a great lot, too.
Would like to collect as many of pictures of - as sad as it may be - abandoned F1 stuff.

Things like tracks; Hockenheim, old Monza, abondonded F1 cars collecting dust, etc.

let's see how many we can find

Former European GP - Valencia, Spain

France

Rouen-les-Essarts

Monza

hockenheim

fuji

Mclaren Honda - warning; this may be shocking

bMW F1 car in turkey
Old 17 Apr 2015, 07:22 (Ref:3528149)   #2
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You might be interested in this thread:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125312

And this member:
http://tentenths.com/forum/member.php?u=4980
Old 17 Apr 2015, 08:06 (Ref:3528157)   #3
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some eerie shots there... Always disappointed when I see what has become of Hockenheim - loved that place!
Old 17 Apr 2015, 08:11 (Ref:3528159)   #4
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I really loved Valencia, looking forward to going back.
Old 17 Apr 2015, 08:14 (Ref:3528160)   #5
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Some eerie shots there... Always disappointed when I see what has become of Hockenheim - loved that place!
Ive seen those two photos a few times and they still make me sad at what we have lost compared to what we have now. The banking at Monza would've been wonderful to watch but at least we still have the rest of the circuit in its straight line tree lined glory unlike Modern Hockenheim which doesnt do much for me at all.
Old 17 Apr 2015, 08:43 (Ref:3528171)   #6
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins View Post
I really loved Valencia, looking forward to going back.
As much as one might have liked the venue, I believe that it is highly unlikely that there will ever be another Grand Prix there. The whole idea behind the race was a massive vanity project for the then political leader, and some of his cohorts, of the Valencian region, and grew out their participation in the Americas Cup a few years previously.

Not only did both the yachting and the F1 projects cost a fortune to set up, but they also lost a bigger fortune, and any income that was derived from their taking place, i.e. extra tourism, etc., was dwarfed by the ongoing costs. In addition, those behind the project, like the political leader, are currently awaiting trial for various offences all connected to the yachting and motor races, mainly to do with fraud and corruption. F1's own Mr Ecclestone is to be called as a witness to the affair.

In reference to the "McLaren" which is sitting on top of the mezzanine gathering dust, this has been determined to be a full size static display model made some years ago. I am not aware for whom it was made by the Woking team, nor for what purpose, but I think that that photo was taken in the USA, although I may be wrong about that.
Old 17 Apr 2015, 08:45 (Ref:3528172)   #7
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!

I had a rather spiritual experience in Berlin last year. I had to go out a couple of times for work, I made sure I visited the old Avus Ring site one evening.

However, I was working an hour or so south of Berlin, and each time I would get the cab back to the airport, I would inevitably fall asleep, but on 3 occasions woke up just as we were passing the grandstands there. Spoooooky!
Old 17 Apr 2015, 08:51 (Ref:3528173)   #8
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was that Senna's McLaren? Surely that's not its final resting spot?

edit - just saw the post of it may be a static model. Still would look better in my garage!

Last edited by canamman; 17 Apr 2015 at 08:56.
Old 17 Apr 2015, 10:37 (Ref:3528187)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the monza banking has been resurfaced in the past year, which is almost vandalism in a way. there's a fair few promotional shots of cars lined up on it floating around.
Old 17 Apr 2015, 10:58 (Ref:3528194)   #10
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
the monza banking has been resurfaced in the past year, which is almost vandalism in a way. there's a fair few promotional shots of cars lined up on it floating around.
How I would love to watch racing on the Monza, Fuji, and Avus banking!
Old 17 Apr 2015, 13:59 (Ref:3528234)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
the monza banking has been resurfaced in the past year, which is almost vandalism in a way.
*sheds a tear*
Old 17 Apr 2015, 23:07 (Ref:3528374)   #12
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I take it the McLaren Honda above is one of the display cars, and not a "real" car. Did they allow engine covers purely because it is so much easier to produce a show car without all the engine pieces on display in a 60s car?
Old 18 Apr 2015, 07:14 (Ref:3528429)   #13
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I take it the McLaren Honda above is one of the display cars, and not a "real" car. Did they allow engine covers purely because it is so much easier to produce a show car without all the engine pieces on display in a 60s car?
See my post above!
Old 18 Apr 2015, 09:03 (Ref:3528443)   #14
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Did they allow engine covers purely because it is so much easier to produce a show car without all the engine pieces on display in a 60s car?
Of course you recall the early '60's 1.5L cars had covered engines. Then, with the 3L formula, the engines were too big to cover. Then, the aero guys started to take over and the engines got covered, but with side pods on the cars then they could do it in a way that made sense with the shape of the car. Then, the 1.5L turbos were of course easy to cover. Then,.....

But, I agree with the sentiment! I've thought it would be nice to have a rule that that those beautiful works of art HAD to be exposed. Then my anti-regulation streak puts the kibosh on that.

The interesting thing is the whole covered/uncovered/covered evolution occurred organically, without any rules dictating it. Now, there is probably some rule somewhere in the rulebook that says the engines have to be covered, and various arcane details about how the cover has to be shaped.
Old 18 Apr 2015, 13:08 (Ref:3528486)   #15
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
See my post above!
Whoops! Sorry missed that!
Old 18 Apr 2015, 13:11 (Ref:3528487)   #16
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post
Of course you recall the early '60's 1.5L cars had covered engines. Then, with the 3L formula, the engines were too big to cover. Then, the aero guys started to take over and the engines got covered, but with side pods on the cars then they could do it in a way that made sense with the shape of the car. Then, the 1.5L turbos were of course easy to cover. Then,.....

But, I agree with the sentiment! I've thought it would be nice to have a rule that that those beautiful works of art HAD to be exposed. Then my anti-regulation streak puts the kibosh on that.

The interesting thing is the whole covered/uncovered/covered evolution occurred organically, without any rules dictating it. Now, there is probably some rule somewhere in the rulebook that says the engines have to be covered, and various arcane details about how the cover has to be shaped.
Hence the
Old 18 Apr 2015, 18:59 (Ref:3528569)   #17
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Hence the
I got your meaning!

If only there were a material with the strength and lightness of carbon fiber, but was transparent, for engine covers.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 07:21 (Ref:3528804)   #18
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
I got your meaning!

If only there were a material with the strength and lightness of carbon fiber, but was transparent, for engine covers.
Now that would be worthwhile!
Old 19 Apr 2015, 07:59 (Ref:3528811)   #19
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
I got your meaning!

I am sure that the technology currently exists to fulfil your dream, however it is unlikely to be called into operation for at least two reasons, both pretty important to all teams and manufacturers.

In no particular order, there is the fact that the teams do not want the outside world to be able to see how they have packaged their power-unit, and of course that if the cover was to remain wholly transparent, they would lose very valuable advertising space.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 08:19 (Ref:3528813)   #20
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I am sure that the technology currently exists to fulfil your dream, however it is unlikely to be called into operation for at least two reasons, both pretty important to all teams and manufacturers.

In no particular order, there is the fact that the teams do not want the outside world to be able to see how they have packaged their power-unit, and of course that if the cover was to remain wholly transparent, they would lose very valuable advertising space.
Killjoy
Old 19 Apr 2015, 09:41 (Ref:3528833)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Love this stuff, but as Grant points out, we have had similar threads before and I think I've seen all these shots at some time in the past (merge in due course, I guess).

Are there any buildings now left at Rouen? I was under the impression that the locals had effectively erased the track from memory...... Stunning sacrilege.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 09:43 (Ref:3528834)   #22
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewking21 View Post
I enjoy some photogenic scenes. I enjoy the classic F1 picture topic a great lot, too.
Would like to collect as many of pictures of - as sad as it may be - abandoned F1 stuff.

Things like tracks; Hockenheim, old Monza, abondonded F1 cars collecting dust, etc.

let's see how many we can find

Former European GP - Valencia, Spain

France

Rouen-les-Essarts

Monza

hockenheim

fuji

Mclaren Honda - warning; this may be shocking

bMW F1 car in turkey
Getting the same feeling as the abandoned towns near the Chernobyl Nuclear Facility. Damn near spooky how these former tracks look like. Either they will become housing estates (like what happened to some of the great smaller tracks here in Australia like Oran Park, Amaroo Park, etc) or just get torn up and let nature reclaim the land.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 16:28 (Ref:3528918)   #23
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Love this stuff, but as Grant points out, we have had similar threads before and I think I've seen all these shots at some time in the past (merge in due course, I guess).
I take it as a sign 10/10 is healthy, with new folks coming in all the time.

With the depressing things happening in American racing, that's quite a difference from what happens on most American racing boards.
Old 19 Apr 2015, 19:55 (Ref:3529000)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Absolutely - the more of this the better - but as mods, we're bound to draw attention to existing threads and our wonderful search facility.....
Old 19 Apr 2015, 21:15 (Ref:3529030)   #25
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
Killjoy
Who, me?