Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 28 Mar 2006, 16:12 (Ref:1563451)   #151
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown
Another candidate: a very good Lyncar F/Atl chassis history thread.
Now done. Also prepared a trimmed Chevron B42 thread!
Old 29 Mar 2006, 17:41 (Ref:1564362)   #152
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Now this Chevron B34-B39 thread that Chris started? It intrigues me since half the posts seem to be about B40's and B42s, so apart from splitting threads out on those two, I've had the audacity to split out the B35 posts! I reckon of the original thread, there maybe 2 or 3 posts not covering those three types! I have however left the original thread complete and open on the main forum!
Old 29 Mar 2006, 17:54 (Ref:1564368)   #153
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's pretty typical of us. It's a good thing we've got you to look after us!

Allen
Old 29 Mar 2006, 18:16 (Ref:1564380)   #154
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks, Allen; as long as you trust me not screw up!
Old 4 Apr 2006, 12:15 (Ref:1570049)   #155
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi John

Can we pull across the Lola T280 thread and the Toleman TG280 / Lola T850 - T860 thread? These last three models do belong together as the T850 and T860 were Lola's production versions of the Toleman.

Thanks

Allen
Old 4 Apr 2006, 13:06 (Ref:1570108)   #156
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
And I thought I had earned a rest!

The Lola 280 thread is massive, of course, and at a first glance probably needs some editing. It also carries posts on T380 & T390 (I'll put these in the appropriate thread if anything new in them) and also T282, T286 etc. Should these be split out? Whatever happens here, for this thread to be a good source of info. and research it needs some worthy to do a summary, and for a layman like me to understand also the differences between the types if you advise that the above models that I have identified should stay in the thread, an explanation of those differences.

Right, off to look at the Toleman thread!
Old 4 Apr 2006, 13:23 (Ref:1570125)   #157
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Hi John

You had earned a rest but...

The T280, T282, T284 (if it existed) and T286 belong together as we never really established the boundaries, if any. Lola records list all on the same page which is good enough for me. There may be a handful of T380 and T390 posts but I'd be surprised if there were many. I'd expect it to be a fairly cohesive thread and need little editing.

I did a summary at http://www.oldracingcars.com/Projects/LolaT280.htm which probably needs a bit of a refresh.

Allen
Old 4 Apr 2006, 13:30 (Ref:1570135)   #158
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I've moved the Toleman thread across but it does confuse me, since references are made to Ralt RT2s and the fact that Toleman's built cars apparently using the Ralt as a basis. However, as I understand it they also modified Lola T280's to become TG280's and that presumably then Lola took these mods on board to build their T850 and T860 models. The point here is that since I am an interested enthusiast but unlike you guys, not an expert, I use myself as the barometer for other enthusiasts and readers to judge whether it is clear. Basically, if I don't understand it, and on the basis that you don't think I'm a total idiot (I know, I know, it's debatable!), it needs clarification!
Old 4 Apr 2006, 13:39 (Ref:1570147)   #159
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

The Toleman TG280 was a development of the customer Ralt RT2 that Toleman had used in 1979. So yes, references to the RT2 are inevitable.

The Lola T280 was a completely unrelated sports car 8 years earlier. The '280' bit is just a concidence - well not a complete coincidence because I noticed it when seaching for the TG280 thread.

Allen
Old 4 Apr 2006, 13:54 (Ref:1570159)   #160
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
OK, thanks, Allen. I should have noted the dates re the T280! So on what basis did Lola take on the construction of the TG280 as their T850 and 860 models? Was it a mutually convenient commercial deal - Toleman didn't have the build capacity and Lola needed to generate additional cashflow?
Old 4 Apr 2006, 14:08 (Ref:1570171)   #161
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Yes, exactly that, a commercial deal that suited both parties. Toleman were off to F1 and didn't need the distraction. Lola hadn't had a decent F2 car for quite a while. As it turned out, they still hadn't.

Allen
Old 4 Apr 2006, 14:14 (Ref:1570176)   #162
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
OK, thanks again, Allen!

Quote:
Hi John

You had earned a rest but...

The T280, T282, T284 (if it existed) and T286 belong together as we never really established the boundaries, if any. Lola records list all on the same page which is good enough for me. There may be a handful of T380 and T390 posts but I'd be surprised if there were many. I'd expect it to be a fairly cohesive thread and need little editing.

I did a summary at http://www.oldracingcars.com/Projects/LolaT280.htm which probably needs a bit of a refresh.

Allen
Ooops, missed this one. I'll move it across. I do hope that with all these threads there will eventually be summaries where none existed before and updates, say on an annual basis, at least, if necessary!
Old 4 Apr 2006, 14:20 (Ref:1570531)   #163
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, exactly that, a commercial deal that suited both parties. Toleman were off to F1 and didn't need the distraction. Lola hadn't had a decent F2 car for quite a while. As it turned out, they still hadn't.

Allen
The way I saw it is similar, but after 1980 there was big interest in customer TG280s for 1981, so it made sense to satisfy this demand. The cars weren't that bad in 1981, they did win a race after all, Stefan J, which most F2 cars never did. They were run by a good team, albeit without the big bucks of the Ralts/Marches/Maurers that year, and with less experienced drivers after all.
Old 4 Apr 2006, 14:38 (Ref:1570548)   #164
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I've now copied the Lola T280 thread in here, but have removed posts 341-347 as they brought nothing to the history. They are still in the original (locked) thread, if you want to check them out!
Old 4 Apr 2006, 15:01 (Ref:1570565)   #165
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I've got a few posts sitting in the 'Cutting Room' on the Ralt RT3 and Brabham BT6. If anyone has some good info. on either or both, I'll set up threads on them to be developed.

Oh, and I know I sound like a broken down record but is anyone out there able to start an informative Chevron B6/B8 thread. I'm advised that there were originally 44 of the original B8s so it would be good to identify these and note any 'additions'!
Old 16 Apr 2006, 21:49 (Ref:1585375)   #166
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I've finally started to do some work on the Chevron B29 thread which seems to have more posts in it about other marques than Chevrons! As you will have noted, I have split out the Chevron B29 posts and set up a separate thread in here; that seemed fairly straight forward. I have also split out posts on the March 705 and 712M; again fairly straightforward.

Now the potentially contentious one which I have just moved here - March 73B - 74B - 75B - 76B - 77B. Very difficult since the posts concerned were so much intertwined with other March models I'm not sure it has worked. I'm trying to create one for 722,732,742, 752, 762 etc but not quite sure how it will pan out. I need your help here; if they don't work, please tell me; I can easily merge them back together or edit them appropriately!

The 'original' B29 thread also has plenty of Modus stuff which will probably augment the existing Modus chassis thread. Also I think some Argo posts.

Last edited by John Turner; 16 Apr 2006 at 21:51.
Old 17 Apr 2006, 09:23 (Ref:1585653)   #167
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Now the potentially contentious one which I have just moved here - March 73B - 74B - 75B - 76B - 77B. Very difficult since the posts concerned were so much intertwined with other March models I'm not sure it has worked. I'm trying to create one for 722,732,742, 752, 762 etc but not quite sure how it will pan out. I need your help here; if they don't work, please tell me; I can easily merge them back together or edit them appropriately!
Possibly try to keep all the posts together for each year's production fo f2 and FAt cars (e.g. 732/73B and 742/74B). There were a lot of cross-over cars that were F2 that raced Atlantic and vice versa.

Old 17 Apr 2006, 09:34 (Ref:1585663)   #168
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks, Steve. I have just added the 722, 732, 742 etc thread. Have a look at it. I have left in some cross referencing and also bits of F3 (for want of elsewhere to put them) but if no good, I can rework it. Keeping cars to single year's production may well be possible, although I have noted several posts referring to upgrading to later year's specs!

Allen, Bryan, Chris, Ted, Andrew, Dan, et al, any comments?
Old 17 Apr 2006, 09:50 (Ref:1585676)   #169
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

The Marches are a nightmare! Chris and Dan have developed a good handle on many of them but it's the toughest subject to organise.

I think the connection between, say, the 73B and the 74B is stronger than between the 742 and the 74B. In other words, a '74B' was more likely to be an earlier 'B' updated than a 742 converted. So I think the way you have them at the moment is probably best.

We may be able to split the 722 out at some later point as it was that year's FB/Atlantic car and also the F2 car. And there were nearly 50 of them!!

Allen
Old 17 Apr 2006, 09:56 (Ref:1585678)   #170
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John,
I have been all the way thru the 73B/74B etc. and that doesn't appear to have lost anything in it's ' translation' , as a matter of fact I found it fairly easy to work with.

Off to the F2 cars now.
Bryan.
Old 17 Apr 2006, 14:54 (Ref:1585850)   #171
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Allen and Bryan, thank you! I await your judgement on the F2 cars, Bryan!

I had thought about splitting the 722 out but decided not to at this stage. However, compared to what I have had to do with the Chevron B29 thread up to now, I would imagin eit will be relatively simple!
Old 10 May 2006, 09:21 (Ref:1604915)   #172
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I think that the Chevron B34-39 is ready for splitting.There is some pretty good info on a number of the individual type numbers so worth doing. If I get no objections, I'll do that tomorrow. I will fttb, leave the original thread intact however.
Old 11 May 2006, 01:15 (Ref:1605559)   #173
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John,
After I posted the other day on the B34-39 thread , I felt it was ready to move.
Old 11 May 2006, 23:12 (Ref:1606466)   #174
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

John

Could we move in the Lola T60 thread?

Allen
Old 12 May 2006, 10:46 (Ref:1606881)   #175
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Now done, Allen! Are you about to give us an update summary?