Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 4 Apr 2008, 11:20 (Ref:2169423)   #1
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA GT Championship, Round One, Silverstone, April (18th) 19th-20th

We Brits can get excited- the world's best GT series is nearly here again, and so a thread is certainly warranted.

Timetable:
http://www.silverstone.co.uk/pdf/200...ilverstone.pdf
My acrobat is not working properly at the moment, but that should be a timetable.

Entry list (courtesy of Planetlemans):
http://www.planetlemans.com/fia-gt-2...one-entrylist/

It's on the GP circuit, and supports seem to be GT3 and GT4, with presumably one other, though I dunno what that'll be yet.

www.fiagt.com
Old 4 Apr 2008, 11:22 (Ref:2169424)   #2
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Oh, and can someone hot topic this please?

(even though there are a record number atm)
Old 4 Apr 2008, 17:18 (Ref:2169702)   #3
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yay, its soon - and I shall be there

Wont be there on Friday though, have an Assessed Lab at Uni, so getting picked up from Uni at ~12noon - Google Maps says Silverstone is 8hrs 29mins from there, so I'd give it a good 9 1/2 hours until we get there and get checked in to our hotel.

My first FIA GT race though, will be great to see these cars in the flesh, see how the Lambo sounds!
Old 4 Apr 2008, 17:30 (Ref:2169712)   #4
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that week for me is going to be incredibly good, FIA GT and then on the friday after the race going to the skins party in Liverpool (for the uninitiated, skins is a programme on E4 or channel 4 on thursdays, it is brilliant).

its great to see the pagani on the entry list, but will it actually turn up this time and also is the GT90's still on the bill?, there wasnt a big grid last year but i really enjoyed the GT90's machinery, particularly the elise GT1
Old 4 Apr 2008, 17:44 (Ref:2169721)   #5
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
there wasnt a big grid last year but i really enjoyed the GT90's machinery, particularly the elise GT1
Sadly not. It's replaced with a couple of Ferrari Challenge events, as it was in 2006.

Still, the grids for FIA GT and GT3 look very promising, so still an event not to be missed!
Old 4 Apr 2008, 18:07 (Ref:2169739)   #6
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Just booked my B&B and the entry list is looking good.

I'm excited about my first event of the season, but I think I may have made the ultimate error - I invited my better half along......
Old 4 Apr 2008, 23:50 (Ref:2169958)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Planning on not having food poisoning and missing it, which is what happened last year. Nice and early for getting my fill of big sportscars. Looking forward to it already.
Old 5 Apr 2008, 13:04 (Ref:2170276)   #8
mosler lover
Rookie

England
8 miles from Donington, England
mosler lover should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By gum, I'm excited. It'll be my first FIA GT and one of the few chances I'll have this year to see a Mosler in action in England.

And I've never been to Silverstone for a GP circuit race either - any tips on the best spectating areas?
Old 5 Apr 2008, 21:41 (Ref:2170697)   #9
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Everywhere. It's a long enough weekend to walk the whole circuit...

I'm really not sure if I'll be there, as finances are more than a little squeaky just now, having spent the redundancy money on the house. And Minime's accomodation at Uni.

But, it's 30 minutes from my front door, and i would feel BAD if I missed it!

Check my Smugmug galleries, Flickr account, and Minimangler's stuff for pictures from all around Silverstone. With ingenuity, it's possible to get good pictures from just about anywhere...

TTG
Old 5 Apr 2008, 21:48 (Ref:2170704)   #10
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosler lover
And I've never been to Silverstone for a GP circuit race either - any tips on the best spectating areas?
outside of stowe, abbey and copse are good for high speed bits

most of it depends on choice really, have a walk around and change places for practises/qualifying and decide your favourite place for the races
Old 5 Apr 2008, 21:54 (Ref:2170708)   #11
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm hoping for atleast warmish weather.

I guess it will be, Vs Knockhill at this time of year!

I'm taking a digital camera with me, I forsee a lap of the circuit during the day - between FIA GT pre-qualifying session and GT quali I should make it round a lap for lots of cool photots
Old 5 Apr 2008, 22:18 (Ref:2170726)   #12
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Just walk round so the sun stays somewhere over yer shoulder..
It can be a real pain shooting into the sun!

One of my personal favourite spots for GP circuit shots is around 3PM, inside at Becketts...

Nice light, high speeds, and easy work to follow things.
This gallery of Historics should give you a clue?
http://www.catmangler.smugmug.com/ga...NbEC#202685917

Have a great weekend, whatever!
Old 6 Apr 2008, 14:12 (Ref:2171257)   #13
Koulle
Racer

United Kingdom
Koulle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks like its going to be a great weekend.
Old 6 Apr 2008, 22:20 (Ref:2171748)   #14
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any TV coverage?
Old 7 Apr 2008, 07:29 (Ref:2171945)   #15
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
I was asked about that a week or so ago, I'd assumed it would still be on Men & Motors - but I'm not sure at all, there site doesn't seem to mention it.

FIAGT.com is totally blank on the issue of 2008 TV which is a bit poor less than two weeks from the start of the season.
Old 7 Apr 2008, 18:02 (Ref:2172509)   #16
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzer
I'm hoping for atleast warmish weather.

I guess it will be, Vs Knockhill at this time of year!

I'm taking a digital camera with me, I forsee a lap of the circuit during the day - between FIA GT pre-qualifying session and GT quali I should make it round a lap for lots of cool photots
As the grey says, look all over. If you want photos, head inside of Abbey- there's no fence down there.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jymp/21...7603339734974/
(ignore the angle, in fact Abbey is flat. )

I can't wait, i'm buzzing about it

And can someone PLEASE hot topic this?!

entry list is mega. what do people think of the Pagani? We gonna see it, or not?
Old 8 Apr 2008, 09:10 (Ref:2172970)   #17
mirkob
Veteran

Italy
Rome
mirkob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Added a F550 GT1 in the entry list ;-)

http://www.fiagt.com/newsitem.php?key=1513

Last edited by mirkob; 8 Apr 2008 at 09:19.
Old 8 Apr 2008, 09:47 (Ref:2172994)   #18
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes, López had announced this a while ago...a pity that it has to happen with such an old car although having Larbre behind it is probably the best that could happen in terms of team support. Tuero should do OK but I'm disappointed that Mazzacane will be there.... I remember a comment made to an Argentinian person from an English journalist during his brief tenue in F1 "remind this guy that he represents the country of Fangio, Froilán and Reutemann...", enough said!!! I hope this opens new doors for "Pechito" in endurance Racing....
Old 8 Apr 2008, 10:30 (Ref:2173019)   #19
mirkob
Veteran

Italy
Rome
mirkob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any idea about the pic on fiagt.com ?
Is it real (real color, ecc) ?Where/when was taken ?

TIA
Old 8 Apr 2008, 12:25 (Ref:2173121)   #20
MikeH
Racer

Scotland
Perth
MikeH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going for all three days again having gone last year for the first time and loved the racing and fantastic machinery on track. Made up for the freezing cold and the fact you're never made to feel particularly welcome at the track, shame mere mortals aren't able to get near the pitlane walkabout.

The on track action should be great though which is what it's all about.
#68 - 2009 SMRC Scottish Legends Championship.
Old 8 Apr 2008, 12:41 (Ref:2173136)   #21
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkob
Any idea about the pic on fiagt.com ?
Is it real (real color, ecc) ?Where/when was taken ?

TIA
Clearly photoshopped but these were the historical racing colors of Argentina, blue with yellow hood. I guess this (or very similar) will be their paintscheme. In the 60s/70s the ACA cars were always white with a stripe in argentinian flag colors (e.g. the F2 Brabham of Reutemann)
Old 8 Apr 2008, 12:43 (Ref:2173138)   #22
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeH
Going for all three days again having gone last year for the first time and loved the racing and fantastic machinery on track. Made up for the freezing cold and the fact you're never made to feel particularly welcome at the track, shame mere mortals aren't able to get near the pitlane walkabout.

The on track action should be great though which is what it's all about.
Who needs a pitlane walkabout when it's an open paddock! This isn't F1!
The support races teams can be viewed whenever you like, and even the garages aren't closed at the back. If you are there all three days you have plenty of chances to get to see the crews/drivers/cars anway, and pitlane walkabouts are always too crowded and you can't see that much anyway.
I've spent many happy hours in the garages at Silverstone (other than F1, BTCC or SuperBikes) looking at cars and chatting with team owners/drivers/mechanics, I'm always polite, ask if i should, keep out of the way, and stay away if it looks stressful! And never cross barriers if the team have put them up!
Old 8 Apr 2008, 13:27 (Ref:2173170)   #23
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
I have pix of Jet Aliliance practicing pit stops, taken on the Friday.
I went anywhere, and everywhere, I wanted, and no one asked for passes, nothing. Pit Lane Walkabout is not something I go near, thank you.

I think for myself...
Old 8 Apr 2008, 13:32 (Ref:2173172)   #24
MikeH
Racer

Scotland
Perth
MikeH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey
I have pix of Jet Aliliance practicing pit stops, taken on the Friday.
I went anywhere, and everywhere, I wanted, and no one asked for passes, nothing. Pit Lane Walkabout is not something I go near, thank you.

I think for myself...
Well that's strange cos I spent the whole three days being chased away from the FIA GT transporters and pits and so on by team members and security grunts, think there must be an element of luck involved!

Maybe I'll manage to position myself in the right place at the right time this year! I'll try harder on the Friday, that definitely seems to be the time to try and sneak into places!
#68 - 2009 SMRC Scottish Legends Championship.
Old 8 Apr 2008, 17:48 (Ref:2173331)   #25
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brielga
yes, López had announced this a while ago...a pity that it has to happen with such an old car although having Larbre behind it is probably the best that could happen in terms of team support. Tuero should do OK but I'm disappointed that Mazzacane will be there.... I remember a comment made to an Argentinian person from an English journalist during his brief tenue in F1 "remind this guy that he represents the country of Fangio, Froilán and Reutemann...", enough said!!! I hope this opens new doors for "Pechito" in endurance Racing....
Mazzacane's got a bit of previous sportscar background hasn't he? Didn't he share Giovanni Lavaggi's Ferrari 333SP back in the old SRWC/FIASCC days, 1999-ish?