Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 Feb 2017, 06:53 (Ref:3712526)   #2101
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplodeTheApex View Post
Also interesting to see Shell V-Power logo on his helmet - they aren't listed on his website as a personal sponsor so perhaps a Shell V-Power BMW Racing team is on the cards?

Shell signed as a title sponsor for DJRTP in Supercars for the next 3 years starting this year, it's feasible that motorsport could be a greater part of their global marketing strategy.
Shell replaced Castro as BMW's preferred fuel/oil partner a couple of years back. They sponsor one of the cars in DTM:

Whilst it'd be great to see this livery in the BTCC, it seems fuel companies are not interested in sponsorship deals as it doesn't fit with the 'green' image they're trying to persue. (Even Tesco 99's focus was on more mileage rather than the performance side of 99ron).
Old 16 Feb 2017, 06:53 (Ref:3712527)   #2102
lukej
Rookie

lukej should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can tell you all that TAG Industries is NOT Tony Gilham. I know some of the team and the suggestion it is him gave them a good laugh.

Luke
Old 16 Feb 2017, 08:34 (Ref:3712540)   #2103
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Increased backing? TAG is Tony Gilham!
Well I'm sure the TAG Directors would have something to say about being Tony Gilham, as neither of them are Mr G................................
Old 16 Feb 2017, 08:48 (Ref:3712544)   #2104
Rob877
Racer

Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckn002 View Post
Simon Hill's Twitter seems to suggest that HARD will be referred to as "TAG Industries Racing" this year
Hopefully that may mean no green and pink this year!
Old 16 Feb 2017, 09:35 (Ref:3712547)   #2105
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
We still don't know what that company is. Apart from Tony's initials......
In the article announcing the Rolec backing for HARD, you can see the TAG Industries logo in the background.

It seems that the TAG Industries branding has started to appear at HARD's workshop.

TAG Industries appears to be this company.

Last edited by crmalcolm; 16 Feb 2017 at 09:45.
Old 16 Feb 2017, 10:11 (Ref:3712551)   #2106
RED55
Racer

Sweden
Banbury
RED55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well lets hope once the big sponsors are on the car, we actually get know what said sponsors actually do , make, or provide, or is this a play on words trying to appear that a world renowned timing and technology business is involved !

Meanwhile on other news Teams wanting to really make progress are going testing next week and the week after ............ #new parts #new drivers #new sponsors.
Old 16 Feb 2017, 10:41 (Ref:3712555)   #2107
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED55 View Post
Well lets hope once the big sponsors are on the car, we actually get know what said sponsors actually do , make, or provide, or is this a play on words trying to appear that a world renowned timing and technology business is involved !
theres lots of companies called Tag other than the timing and tech business you mentioned. there was a tag company on the side of a carerra cup car for some years.

Attached Thumbnails
7443300222_28ba50e41e_b.jpg  
Old 16 Feb 2017, 11:00 (Ref:3712557)   #2108
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I Initially thought it something to do with the Dartford crossing!
Old 16 Feb 2017, 12:26 (Ref:3712583)   #2109
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
In the article announcing the Rolec backing for HARD, you can see the TAG Industries logo in the background.

It seems that the TAG Industries branding has started to appear at HARD's workshop.

TAG Industries appears to be this company.
Erm.... that picture has the logo on the spoiler... nothing in the workshop.

If it is the Donny company ... they have 2.6M in the bank according to 2016 returns
Old 16 Feb 2017, 12:44 (Ref:3712584)   #2110
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
Erm.... that picture has the logo on the spoiler... nothing in the workshop.
So it is - must up my observation skills.

Not sure why, but I had seen it as a banner on the wall at first viewing....
Can it be a coincidence that the boot is up and the logo is included in the picture....
Old 16 Feb 2017, 12:53 (Ref:3712585)   #2111
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
http://www.btcc.net/2016/10/01/lates...and-team-hard/
Audio from when the logos first appeared on the cars. Lots of discussion about being new sponsors but not a single word about what the company actually does.

I realise that not all sponsorship is aimed at the general audience but normally even the casual spectator has some idea who the company is.
Old 16 Feb 2017, 13:15 (Ref:3712592)   #2112
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Audio from when the logos first appeared on the cars. Lots of discussion about being new sponsors but not a single word about what the company actually does.
Let's hope they read this forum then! Although everyone's doing a great job of promoting TAG!
Old 16 Feb 2017, 13:27 (Ref:3712596)   #2113
RED55
Racer

Sweden
Banbury
RED55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post

I realise that not all sponsorship is aimed at the general audience but normally even the casual spectator has some idea who the company is.
Exactly my point, I want to see these teams do well, but I cannot stand the amaturish way in which they act sometimes, this is top level, look at the example WSR set, this is how they win things,come on Mr Gilham start and show us you have what it takes to take a BTCC title with a talented driver.
I couldnt care less that companies house say there is x million in the bank, it could be sat in a desert island palm tree as an asset for all we know.

What I want to know, is it going to contribute to 3 CC cars on the podium on a regular basis....
Old 16 Feb 2017, 14:17 (Ref:3712606)   #2114
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I couldnt care less that companies house say there is x million in the bank, it could be sat in a desert island palm tree as an asset for all we know.

What I want to know, is it going to contribute to 3 CC cars on the podium on a regular basis....
Well they won't be able to if they don't have x amount in the bank. So it's important to know that new sponsors can actually fulfill their obligation. Rather than pulling out at the last minute leaving people high and dry, because the sponsor is a dreamer with no real money to invest.
Old 16 Feb 2017, 14:31 (Ref:3712612)   #2115
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Interesting to see WSR going to Spain to test. I remember them once saying as an independent team they couldn't afford to do that like Vauxhall did at the time. For me they have got to be getting the dosh from somewhere
Old 16 Feb 2017, 14:48 (Ref:3712618)   #2116
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Well lets hope once the big sponsors are on the car, we actually get know what said sponsors actually do , make, or provide,
Quote:
So which is more important to you - knowing what the company does, or knowing if they'll put 3 CC cars on the podium?

If TAG Industries are happy with the exposure they are getting from their deal, then Gilham should be given credit for getting more funding into the team surely?
Old 16 Feb 2017, 15:13 (Ref:3712630)   #2117
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So which is more important to you - knowing what the company does, or knowing if they'll put 3 CC cars on the podium?

If TAG Industries are happy with the exposure they are getting from their deal, then Gilham should be given credit for getting more funding into the team surely?
It's more of a case if something looks fishy, smells fishy, there's a good chance it may be fishy.
Old 16 Feb 2017, 15:27 (Ref:3712636)   #2118
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Interesting to see WSR going to Spain to test. I remember them once saying as an independent team they couldn't afford to do that like Vauxhall did at the time. For me they have got to be getting the dosh from somewhere
See a few posts previous, there are 5 teams going to the same circuit next week to split the costs. Eurotech, Norlin and WSR are the ones I have found confirmation of online.
Old 16 Feb 2017, 15:48 (Ref:3712640)   #2119
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
See a few posts previous, there are 5 teams going to the same circuit next week to split the costs.
Clever idea.
Old 16 Feb 2017, 16:10 (Ref:3712645)   #2120
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
See a few posts previous, there are 5 teams going to the same circuit next week to split the costs. Eurotech, Norlin and WSR are the ones I have found confirmation of online.
BMR and Dynamics also going
Old 16 Feb 2017, 16:25 (Ref:3712649)   #2121
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
BMR and Dynamics also going
Cheers, I had a feeling Dynamics would be there after last year.
Old 16 Feb 2017, 17:04 (Ref:3712653)   #2122
Rob877
Racer

Rob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob877 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Exactly my point, I want to see these teams do well, but I cannot stand the amaturish way in which they act sometimes, this is top level, look at the example WSR set, this is how they win things,come on Mr Gilham start and show us you have what it takes to take a BTCC title with a talented driver.

I agree to a point. I'm not a fan of all these hashtags and definitely not a fan of their colour scheme (it looks very unprofessional IMO). But I do admire the way Tony Gilham seems to be able to go out there and secure deals, which means we get young talent like Jake Hill on the grid where it may be easier to just put an off the pace gentleman racer with deep pockets in there instead.
Old 16 Feb 2017, 18:29 (Ref:3712662)   #2123
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
got a bit of retro feeling

back in 1987 you didn't have 32 cars on the grid from 4 classes combined but the cars themselves were so exiting to watch and hear all by themselves

for example at 3.40 that 3.5 Rover V8 sound with its Titanic like handling , pure awesomens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiYSYFr36Z8&t=5s

this is missing from 2017, very lose handling cars and some great sound
That brings back a few memories- Thanks a bunch- I'm now feeling very old...

Quote:
I'm not sure it's missing from 2017. I would prefer 32 cars, all in the same class, with multiple race winners coming from different teams. Surely that is better than going into a season knowing already who the race winners will be, and which cars will dominate.

BTCC in 2017 is about close racing, not about extreme cars.
There shouldn't be any reason not to have both-For me, touring cars always ought to look like they're a bit of a handful to drive...
Incidentally, '87 wasn't one of the great BTCC seasons in many ways-(a dominant championship win from the 1600 class for Chris Hodgetts), but it still came up with 8 different race winners in 5 different types of car from 12 races..

Quote:

Meanwhile on other news Teams wanting to really make progress are going testing next week and the week after ............ #new parts #new drivers #new sponsors.
A bit of searching around reveals that TAG are in the waste management business, registered office in Doncaster, but main site seems to be based in Peterborough- Note the 'TAG Industries' logo on the CC's wing from that Rolec article is in evidence in the background of this pic of a bowls club they also sponsor...

https://www.hugofox.com/community/wh...club-sponsors/

Last edited by KA; 16 Feb 2017 at 18:42.
Old 16 Feb 2017, 18:48 (Ref:3712664)   #2124
luckn002
Veteran

England
South England
luckn002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob877 View Post
I'm... definitely not a fan of their colour scheme (it looks very unprofessional IMO)
I must admit I quite liked the HARD livery, it is so different from anything else on the grid and adds a lot of colour. Although the TAG logo at Brands with the white doors didn't fit at all, hope it is weaved into the design this year as they've had months to plan it!

However going by the liveries already revealed by HARD in other series it looks likely it'll be similar to last year (ie pink, green, orange and white)
Old 17 Feb 2017, 11:57 (Ref:3712816)   #2125
S700UBO
Racer

Scotland
Inverness
S700UBO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
out of last years livery's I was a big fan of Chris Smiley's HARD Avensis!

Really great shade of Blue, HARD' livery has always been about being able to spot the cars a mile off, and surely the main point of anything now-a-days is to get you talking about it.......love it or loathe it...STILL TALKING ABOUT IT!