Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 12 Apr 2004, 21:40 (Ref:937663)   #1
Williamp
Racer

Williamp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any tips for 1st track day at Mallory?

Hi all,

at the end of this month I have my first track day, at Mallory park. I have been there as a passenger, but not as a driver.

Any tips?

many thanks in advance,

William
Old 13 Apr 2004, 07:35 (Ref:937912)   #2
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have a read though this thread, it has just about anything you need to know.

Above all, don't be scared and have fun!

Last edited by Hobson; 13 Apr 2004 at 07:36.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 08:27 (Ref:937961)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mallory is a fun track. There aren't many corners, but they have a good mix. A fast long corner, a chicane (quick or slower depending on which circuit you use) a hairpin and Devil's elbow! There is good gradient too. Especially through Devil's elbow.

What car are you taking? Do you know which circuit you will be using (the main change is the chicance at the far side).

General preparation and attitudes are covered in the thread Hobon linked. Listen to what the organisers tell you and take it easy, building up your speed. Also look after your car, if a road car there might be some drop off over the session, especially in the brakes. And have fun!

Who is organising your track day?
Old 13 Apr 2004, 12:01 (Ref:938187)   #4
Williamp
Racer

Williamp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Mallory is a fun track. There aren't many corners, but they have a good mix. A fast long corner, a chicane (quick or slower depending on which circuit you use) a hairpin and Devil's elbow! There is good gradient too. Especially through Devil's elbow.

What car are you taking? Do you know which circuit you will be using (the main change is the chicance at the far side).

General preparation and attitudes are covered in the thread Hobon linked. Listen to what the organisers tell you and take it easy, building up your speed. Also look after your car, if a road car there might be some drop off over the session, especially in the brakes. And have fun!

Who is organising your track day?
The car will be a 944 Turbo, my own road car (and everyday driver) and the run is organised by the Aston Martin Owners Club.

I am excited at the idea, but very nervous about it being my road car, and contacting any of the other drivers...
Old 13 Apr 2004, 13:10 (Ref:938278)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don't worry about contact. Everyone is sensible (or removed from the track). Watch your mirrors, which is quite easy on the straights - you'll soon get an idea of how long it takes people to catch you. Likewise be sensible when overtaking, don't go for a gap, do it safely at the places the organisers let you. People will help you overtake.

A 944 turbo, that'll sounds like fun. Devil's elbow is the most fun I think, although not the most challenging corner on the track IMO. Although this year they have improved the run off and I had racing tyres on for the first time when I went a couple of weeks ago (this made it very easily flat).

The hairpin is a great place to learn how to put the power down and to assess how your car likes exit kerbs. It is slow speed so too much throttle can be safely corrected.

A 944 is a sportscar so should be better than some road cars, but still just keep an eye on your brakes. If you have standard pads and discs the pedal still might lose some feel through a 15 minute session. You just can't replicate the punishment track time gives them...