Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Feb 2005, 03:17 (Ref:1234073)   #1
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Points systems changes- Murph not happy!

It seems that up until round 10 you can now drop your worst round.
Murph seems to think its a bad idea...

Four-time Bathurst 1000 winner Greg Murphy has slammed new V8 Supercar motor racing rules, accusing series organisers of changing the competition rules in a bid to manipulate results.

The New Zealander who has twice finished runner-up in the series, is critical of a new ruling which allows drivers to drop their worst finish up to and including round 10 at Bathurst. The season's final three rounds must count.

In returning to a policy last employed in 2003, organisers claim it will negate bad luck due to mechanical failure or a co-driver mistake in an endurance event.

However Murphy, who was fourth in the championship last year behind Marcus Ambrose, said all races should count.

"Each race should count towards the championship. It's totally falsifying the result," he said.

"So a driver might have a mechanical problem. Too bad. This is car racing after all. At the end of the day the guy who wins the championship has to be the guy who deserves to win the championship."
Old 24 Feb 2005, 03:53 (Ref:1234085)   #2
STEVO
Veteran

STEVO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Murphy. The best points system we had was 1998. Perhaps if we used that simple method, with perhaps a bit more weighting towards the top 3 finshers, we'd have a straight forward and fair point system.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 04:26 (Ref:1234093)   #3
KE30MAN
Racer

KE30MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Points systems don't even get discussed in most classes, which goes to show how farcical the current ansd recent system are. Get it right and leave it alone AVESCO.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 04:55 (Ref:1234098)   #4
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murf misses another critical point though, you could be leading the championship and be knocked out of a round through no fault of there own.
Combined with the points system designed to keep the championship tight, that driver could conceivably lose the champioship despite winning the majority of the races and finishing high in the points.

We have to face it, V8's are nowadays entertainment based around a sport and this stuff isn't likely to change back to what it was.

Maybe Murf would like to go back to the older more sports based points system and at the same time go back to his old pay packet too
Old 24 Feb 2005, 05:01 (Ref:1234100)   #5
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0...-23770,00.html

Stop messing with rules: Murphy
By Ray Kershler
February 24, 2005

FOUR-times Bathurst winner Greg Murphy has slammed new V8 Supercar rules, accusing series organisers of "continually trying to manipulate the result".

Murphy, twice runner-up in the V8 series and fourth last year, has switched Holden teams this year from Kmart Racing to the Super Cheap Auto team.

V8 officials have allowed drivers to drop a bad result from the championship this year, up to and including Round 10 at Bathurst. But the season's final three rounds must count.

Murphy concedes Ford's reigning champion Marcos Ambrose is a legitimate title-holder but says he is annoyed at the constant tinkering with the championship rules.

In 2003 drivers were allowed to drop their worst round. But last year all races counted.

Organisers say it will negate bad luck due to mechanical failure or a co-driver mistake in an endurance event.

But Murphy believes every race should count.

"I am not a fan of the constant changes," the driver said yesterday.

"Each race should count towards the championship. It's totally falsifying the result.

"So a driver might have a mechanical problem. Too bad.

"This is car racing after all. At the end of the day the guy who wins the championship has to be the guy who deserves to win the championship."

Murphy was also dismayed at the rule change to eliminate warm-up laps.

"We're going out on cold tyres? Surely there will be a safety issue," Murphy said.

The Daily Telegraph

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 24 Feb 2005, 06:25 (Ref:1234115)   #6
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What's new? Spud is never happy.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 07:39 (Ref:1234155)   #7
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Murphy.

How about the fairest system of all. if you have a 32 car race, the winner gets 32points and the last car gets 1 point.

and please, please, please can we drop the enduro races from the point score, because it wrecks a good race when you have people crusing to a points finish... dull as ****
Old 24 Feb 2005, 08:48 (Ref:1234205)   #8
craig1
Racer

craig1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murf's not happy, gee I can't believe that.

If only he'd could close his mouth and just drive.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 09:35 (Ref:1234238)   #9
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime
What's new? Spud is never happy.
Do you disagree with him? I know the bloke speaks his mind a bit and that annoys some, but I agree with him. The points system is a joke.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 24 Feb 2005, 10:56 (Ref:1234318)   #10
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree with murf if a bloke gets a mechanicalproblem or has a smash to bad.Sh!t happens all the time.same as in footy at the end of the season they wouldn't let you drop the worst game.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 12:07 (Ref:1234386)   #11
TCR-028
Racer

TCR-028 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Billy and Craig - So you disagree with Murph ?? Or do you just like to sledge the bloke at every opportunity ??

Sorry, but he's right, it's a joke. AVESCO sees the Championship purely as entertainment and a cash cow - i'm sure they really don't give a sh!t whether the best team and driver win...

Last edited by TCR-028; 24 Feb 2005 at 12:09.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 12:12 (Ref:1234393)   #12
buza
Racer

Australia
Warragul Australia
buza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murph's spot on it's a total joke
Old 24 Feb 2005, 13:02 (Ref:1234431)   #13
amiers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
amiers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree the points are a joke. also Murph must be p***ed that you now cant pit during a saftey car period. pity that wasnt a rule about october last year!!!!
Old 24 Feb 2005, 18:29 (Ref:1234724)   #14
Marcos Skaife
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Marcos Skaife has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I am resisting the overwhelming urge to run Murph down......not easy.......help please!!! On this occasion the dude is dead right about the points and dropping your worst round.

Going out on cold tyres tho,great,this should sort out the men from the boys.Craig Lowndes should be in the lead by turn 3 every race!!
Old 24 Feb 2005, 20:34 (Ref:1234949)   #15
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The main problem is this as I see it.

Two drivers are fighting it out all year neck and neck and are basically even on rewsults and points all year.

Driver one fails to finish in round 2.

Driver two fails to finish in round 13.

Driver one gets to drop his bad result.

Driver two does not get to drop his bad result.

Quite simply not fair in my way of thinking.

The two driver enduro's are a tough one though becasue you can either be hero or zero depending purely on how your co-driver goes. When going for a drivers championship it is a little tough at times.

I really don't see why we can't go back to having an Endurnce Championship for the two driver rounds though.

In some ways it opens it up more as far as entertainment value goes, because you effectively get two championships during the year, and at least a team which might have some bad luck in the sprint races could claim the Enduro title.

It also means that come Bathurst all teams will be shooting for a win and nothing less as the main championship is not on the line.

Murph can be outspoken at times and not alwayssay what we agree with, but this time he is spot on, love him or hate him.

And I don't know about anyone else, but I actually like hearing driver interviews where they get to state what THEY think, and agree with it or not it gives us a bit of thinking to do, gives us an insight into how they think, and gets our sport out there, and isn't that what we all want so it continues to grow and be successful?
Old 24 Feb 2005, 20:36 (Ref:1234953)   #16
Dazz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiers
i agree the points are a joke. also Murph must be p***ed that you now cant pit during a saftey car period. pity that wasnt a rule about october last year!!!!
Yeah imagine how far back Lowndes and Seton would have finished having to do all those pit stops during green flag racing
Old 24 Feb 2005, 20:52 (Ref:1234956)   #17
Dazz
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiers
Yeah imagine how far back Lowndes and Seton would have finished having to do all those pit stops during green flag racing
Old 24 Feb 2005, 21:27 (Ref:1235009)   #18
aj_308
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
aj_308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
funnily enough, murf was probably the person who benifited most from the "dropped round" points system.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 21:36 (Ref:1235023)   #19
Dazz
Veteran

I think there are two points to his statement.

One is that a drop your worst round is not the best way to go, regardless of whether it helps or hinders you personally.

Two is that it is even worse to have some rounds where you can drop your result and some where you can't. That is a bigger issue and the one that I think is highlighted.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 21:39 (Ref:1235027)   #20
PFR
Rookie

PFR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtymutt
How about the fairest system of all. if you have a 32 car race, the winner gets 32points and the last car gets 1 point.

and please, please, please can we drop the enduro races from the point score, because it wrecks a good race when you have people crusing to a points finish... dull as ****
Spot on!
Old 24 Feb 2005, 22:06 (Ref:1235065)   #21
Peregrine
Racer

Australia
Emu Plains
Peregrine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spud is just ****ed that he will not be able to "adjust" a rivals points tally.......whereas last year his team mate Crash Bandicoot made several "adjustments" on his behalf.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 22:06 (Ref:1235066)   #22
KE30MAN
Racer

KE30MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazz
The main problem is this as I see it.

Two drivers are fighting it out all year neck and neck and are basically even on rewsults and points all year.

Driver one fails to finish in round 2.

Driver two fails to finish in round 13.

Driver one gets to drop his bad result.

Driver two does not get to drop his bad result.

Quite simply not fair in my way of thinking.
Well put Dazz, my thoughts exactly.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 22:53 (Ref:1235123)   #23
amiers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
amiers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
i agree! even though im a Ford man i thought it was disgusting. rules are rules but when you have 10-11 pit stops you should not finish 2nd.
Old 25 Feb 2005, 00:55 (Ref:1235180)   #24
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is motor racing!!!!!!!!!

Bad luck happens, and despite AVESCO's super powers, there is nothing you can do to stop it!

It is part of the whole deal that is motor racing!!!!!!!!!

It goes right to the very essence of the sport.

The notion that they can "negate bad luck" is a totally ridiculous argument and just totally illogical.

What happens if someone has 2 DNFs? What bright idea will they come up with to counter that ........ season points are the average pointscore of every race you have finished? So whoever wins the first race doesn't finish anymore races on purpose and wins the championship?

Like him or not, Murphy is 100% right in this case .... and I suspect 99% of those in pitlane (not employed by AVESCO) agree with him.

It cannot be that hard to come up with some sort of logical and fair system ........... can it?
Old 25 Feb 2005, 02:08 (Ref:1235196)   #25
TheMan
Racer

TheMan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Thinking about it though, wouldnt it be great if 5 or 6 cars were driving for the championship in the last round of the series which is what they are trying to achieve. The last two seasons has come down to the last race between a couple, they are just trying to add more cars to that. It would be expected by AVESCO that there would be some fallout between the diehard fans like the ones on these forums, but, for the majority they obviously beleive that a closer championship battle means more interest. I can see where they are coming from and I dont beleive that 99% of pitlane are as p**sed as Murph is when you think that four of the team owners are on the board and represent the majority of teams. I personally would like to see the best team and driver win and I think that will still happen, but I always enjoy entertainement and that is what this system will give. Rather than knock AVESCO which you all like to do, give them some cred for trying new things.