Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Feb 2017, 23:35 (Ref:3714740)   #176
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry dude, I meant right!!
Old 26 Feb 2017, 13:20 (Ref:3714829)   #177
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
First things first, get the bad bit out the way. The traffic management yesterday was useless as other have pointed out. Owing to not driving and needing to use public transport, my taxi dropped me off at the top of the slip road on the A46 and i walked the rest to the show, god knows how long people had been sitting in the jam but there was a lot of very unhappy looking people in the those cars.

Once i got there, I hopped my head into the organisers room in the entrance in the main hall to explain what was going on and the were genuinely shocked and surprised by what i told them. I think they purely misjudged the number of people attending as this was the busiest i have seen the show in the last 3 years by a long way, hopefully this hasn't stopped people coming back next year.

Anyway, the rest rest of the day was spot on! The show seams to have massively benefited from the new organisers as from every perspective it was just better than in previous years. Tho I'm happy that pies and cheese stalls still there as I left with a bad full of really good food.

Anyway, here's my pics n vid from the day:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/geordi...57680689299296

https://youtu.be/jqSGEsn10-o
Old 26 Feb 2017, 14:32 (Ref:3714841)   #178
Colin Parkinson
Rookie

England
Halifax 'Oop North'
Colin Parkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We went to RR on Friday and found the show as good as, if not better than previous shows. Could have done with more jumble though.
The only issue for us was the total lack of road signage, luckily we knew the way!
But why oh why do we have to go in across a field and a bailey bridge when there is a perfectly good main entrance.
I have not been to any other show there that does that!
As we were there just after 9, we did not see any traffic issues.
Good to meet up with old mates.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 15:45 (Ref:3714854)   #179
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I will agree with you Colin.

I saw no signage other than wrong signage!!

Got in via main entrance,a nd then free for all in car park.

never used to be this bad, used to be very well organised.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 16:31 (Ref:3714857)   #180
BG76
Rookie

England
Cambridgeshire
BG76 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBG76 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Race Retro seemed to have had a bit of a face-lift compared to previous years and felt better for it. I really enjoyed wandering round the halls and the rally stage was great too.

Here are a few pics from the weekend - static displays:
https://flic.kr/s/aHskPKSTKg

Rally stage:
https://flic.kr/s/aHskUY2qtA

Hope you like them!
Old 26 Feb 2017, 16:56 (Ref:3714860)   #181
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A post-event press release has arrived from the Excel HMI show, pronouncing the event to have been a resounding success with 37,000 visitors.

Top seller in the auction was a Ferrari 330GT that was knocked-down for £510,000 + premium. A Merc 190SL went for £120,000 + premium, & a race-prepared Lotus Elan for £56,000 + premium.

Next years' dates have been confirmed as 15-18 February 2018.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 17:05 (Ref:3714861)   #182
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Well, that doesn't sound a lot of visitors, but no idea what RR gets! I would think the number is for both shows at Excel, and likely the majority were going for the Classic Show, which had hardly a duff car in the whole display and was well worth walking round. (Cliff did spot one that we agreed did not deserve to be in the same hall....... )

Next year a week earlier, so will be interesting to see the RR dates when announced!
Old 26 Feb 2017, 17:13 (Ref:3714865)   #183
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Well, that doesn't sound a lot of visitors, but no idea what RR gets! I would think the number is for both shows at Excel, and likely the majority were going for the Classic Show, which had hardly a duff car in the whole display and was well worth walking round. (Cliff did spot one that we agreed did not deserve to be in the same hall....... )

Next year a week earlier, so will be interesting to see the RR dates when announced!
The same figure was quoted for both shows. I know somebody who somehow missed out on all the complimentary tickets(!) and paid to go. He said it was buy one, get one free.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 17:36 (Ref:3714868)   #184
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
John did you too read that Rétromobile made around 115 000 visitors, recording a + 8% from last year (entry 18€) ? I still wonder why they make so many…
Old 26 Feb 2017, 17:48 (Ref:3714871)   #185
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
John did you too read that Rétromobile made around 115 000 visitors, recording a + 8% from last year (entry 18€) ? I still wonder why they make so many…
No Gerard, I hadn't seen that. I have never been to Retromobile - maybe I should increase the numbers by one more next year!

Next month is Techno Classica Essen which of course is the biggest & best of all. Before that however, it is Antwerp next week-end, & best of all my local Arras show on 19 March. An extremely enjoyable occasion!
Old 26 Feb 2017, 17:52 (Ref:3714872)   #186
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
It has to be remembered how many days the shows are on. RetroMobile is 5 or 6 days? RR 3 days, ExCel 3.5 days......

I'm sure there is some research somewhere into whether more days equates to more visitors!
Old 26 Feb 2017, 17:53 (Ref:3714873)   #187
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, John, Essen is something. As on usual in Germany, you've better rent a "patinette" to visit it! When I read the comments about RR which I did once as an exhibitor and London it sounds a little bit like the split we had here between Rétromobile and Lyon a while ago.
What does take place in Arras (my roots are in Picardie, hence my family name)?
Old 26 Feb 2017, 17:56 (Ref:3714874)   #188
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mike, Rétromobile use to be 10 or something like that, it is 5 days now.But when we really want to meet French involved in classics, we go to… Birmingham !!
Old 26 Feb 2017, 18:01 (Ref:3714877)   #189
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
When Marc Nicolodi (French restaurer specialized in Bugatti's) founded what had to become Rétromobile, it was Salon de la voiture de course in the old train station of La Bastille, Paris. Now, it seems that Lyon does really good for parts trade and reims (thanks to Belgian) is popular and offers many opportunities to buy what we call "paper" meaning documentation, old owners manuals and genuine catalogues. Avignon (south) tends to be race oriented. They dont take place at the same time and try to reach different needs.
Old 26 Feb 2017, 18:03 (Ref:3714878)   #190
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Yes, John, Essen is something. As on usual in Germany, you've better rent a "patinette" to visit it! When I read the comments about RR which I did once as an exhibitor and London it sounds a little bit like the split we had here between Rétromobile and Lyon a while ago.
What does take place in Arras (my roots are in Picardie, hence my family name)?
I am almost in Picardie!

The Arras Bourse takes place at the Artois Expo in Arras every year on the third Sunday in March, organised by a very enthusiastic local club. Only a one-day event, it is nevertheless very well organised & always well attended. The Expo has two large halls, with a bar in between. One hall is the Bourse, which is always excellent with a good variety of traders. The other hall is mostly club displays, including quite a few who come over from the UK.

The big attraction is the 500-space car park attached to the Expo which is reserved for classics. It's always amazing what you find in there & it's a bit like a moving motor show as cars come & go during the day. Well worth a visit & good value at 5 euros which is a lot cheaper than Goodwood on the same day & probably less cold!
Old 26 Feb 2017, 19:29 (Ref:3714894)   #191
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Well that was best show ever for me . As I've said we sold all our old junk . We had two cars on display and the show finished at 4.30 I was all loaded up and away by 5 pm . Listened to radio 5 on way back and United won . Made up for last night . " well done Joe". In pub now near home . Happy . Well until tomorrow comes .
Old 26 Feb 2017, 20:05 (Ref:3714907)   #192
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Deemed a lot busier than it has for years delta, especially early on.

So am not shocked you sold a fair bit.
Old 27 Feb 2017, 08:17 (Ref:3715010)   #193
Rikki Cann
Racer

England
Rochford Essex
Rikki Cann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know how much the Rally Subaru made at the coys auction at Excell?
Old 27 Feb 2017, 10:07 (Ref:3715039)   #194
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Cann View Post
Anyone know how much the Rally Subaru made at the coys auction at Excell?
No. And the results for the previous auction at Olympia aren't on line yet either. Come on Coys!
Old 27 Feb 2017, 18:29 (Ref:3715168)   #195
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Silverstone's results from RR were up very promptly
Old 27 Feb 2017, 18:36 (Ref:3715172)   #196
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Yes, they are one of the more efficient auction houses!
Old 28 Feb 2017, 09:36 (Ref:3715275)   #197
piekey
Rookie

piekey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to add my 4d' worth.

Four of us made the RR trip on the friday, easy to park/get in etc. not a bad show & a little better than previous years. Came away happy with a few goodies.

Sunday morning 10 of us go up to Excel on train (no probs, suprise suprise)
All get in on E' tickets thanks to our friends at QUINTECH

Motorsport side was the show for us, the polished to death cars the other side didn't float our boats, certainly not the Classic car show that we are used to.

All in all would we go to london again ???? Certainly not based on turnstyle ££

RR on the other hand is a resounding yes by all.
Old 1 Mar 2017, 11:54 (Ref:3715519)   #198
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
RR seemed very well run internally this year and thanks to my friend buying a 'VIP' parking pass we got there early and sailed in. However the free for all parking madness with large queues has been apparent in previous years so I am not surprised it continues. That is an unfortunate side effect of the site but I think could be alleviated as I am sure there are at least 3 entry points to Stoneleigh?

The Excel organisers may try harder to 'undercut' to tempt trade and footfall next year if what has been alleged about how the show came about is true but for now RR seems perfectly safe.
Old 1 Mar 2017, 12:36 (Ref:3715534)   #199
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Unless I've been misinformed the dates won't clash next year anyway....
Old 2 Mar 2017, 11:08 (Ref:3715763)   #200
Colin Parkinson
Rookie

England
Halifax 'Oop North'
Colin Parkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just another observation on Coys, I have still not seen results from Autosport.
And that was 2016
On their web site there are loads of completed auctions with no results.
How long is taking to get paid now?

I wouldnt use them again