Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jun 2008, 17:41 (Ref:2232063)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
F1 2008 Round 8 - French Grand Prix, Magny Cours 20th-22nd June 2008

Well France is merely days away, is this Magny Cours holding the French GP for the last time?

On a personal level, I certainly hope it is, as I can't stand the place, I actually prefer any of Tilke's creations.

But anyway, it looks to be a near certain good track for Ferrari, they have always gone well at Magny Cours, so I expect that McLaren, BMW and any other team trying to challege Ferrari may find life hard at the French venue.

Weather currently is set for cloudy skies and sun, so any hope of another wet race is looking doubtful.
http://uk.weather.yahoo.com/FRXX/FRXX0164/index_c.html
Old 18 Jun 2008, 19:34 (Ref:2232131)   #2
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Did someone mention Magny Cours? I just went into a sudden state of coma.
Old 18 Jun 2008, 19:47 (Ref:2232148)   #3
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Damn ... I was about to post this. Given that Soddy hasn't, here are the tables that we all love :P

Drivers standings

DriverTeamNationalityPoints
Robert KubicaBMW-SauberPoland42
Lewis HamiltonMcLaren-MercedesBritain38
Felipe MassaFerrariBrazil38
Kimi RaikkonenFerrariFinland35
Nick HeidfeldBMW-SauberGermany28
Heikki KovalainenMcLaren-MercedesFinland15 (1x3rd)
Mark WebberRed Bull-RenaultAustralia15 (1x4th)
Jarno TrulliToyotaItaly12
Fernando AlonsoRenaultSpain9
Nico RosbergWilliams-ToyotaGermany8
Kazuki NakajimaWilliams-ToyotaJapan7
David CoulthardRed Bull-Renault6 
Timo GlockToyota5 (1x4th) 
Sebastien VettelSTR-Ferrari5 (1x4th) 
Rubens Barrichello5 (1x5th)  
Jenson ButtonHondaBritain3
Sebastien BourdaisSTR-FerrariFrance2
18thGiancarlo FisichellaForce India-Ferrari1x10th 
19thNelson Piquet JnrRenault1x11th 
20thTakuma Sato*Super Aguri-Honda1x13th 
21stAnthony Davidson*Super Aguri-Honda1x15th 
22ndAdrian SutilForce India-Ferrari1x16th 

Constructors standings
 TeamPoints
Ferrari73
BMW-Sauber70
McLaren-Mercedes53
Red Bull-Renault21
Toyota17
Williams-Toyota15
Renault9
Honda8
Toro Rosso-Ferrari7
Force India-Ferrari1x10th
Super Aguri-Honda*1x13th

French GP: recent results
[SIZE=2]
Year1st place2nd place3rd place
2007Kimi RaikkonenFelipe MassaLewis Hamilton
2006Michael SchumacherFernando AlonsoFelipe Massa
2005Fernando AlonsoKimi RaikkonenMichael Shumacher

DriverLaptime
2007 fastest lapFelipe Massa1:16.099
2007 pole positionFelipe Massa1:15.034
Lap recordMichael Schumacher1:15.377 (set in 2004)
Old 19 Jun 2008, 00:29 (Ref:2232320)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Second only to Hungary in the 'snoozeathon' rankings.

This is a race that definitely needs rain!

But it looks like we won't get any!

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/07260.html
Old 19 Jun 2008, 03:26 (Ref:2232344)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Uhn... too early ?
Old 19 Jun 2008, 04:51 (Ref:2232359)   #6
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
RaiseYourFist has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Personally I think Magny Cours is a very neat track, its just very narrow and fast so overtaking is close to impossible.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 07:51 (Ref:2232414)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Uhn... too early ?
Indeed.It would probably have been better to schedule the race for September or October.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 07:56 (Ref:2232421)   #8
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
After the dramatic thrills and spills of Turkey, Monaco and Canada, we return to a track which really sorts the men from the boys. If you can sit through the French Grand Prix at Magny-Cours, you know you're a real fan.

Seriously though, I'm hoping that Hamilton might liven things up with a spirited charge through the field.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 08:00 (Ref:2232424)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiseYourFist
Personally I think Magny Cours is a very neat track, its just very narrow and fast so overtaking is close to impossible.
So it's crap then!

France can do better than this.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 08:00 (Ref:2232426)   #10
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
Seriously though, I'm hoping that Hamilton might liven things up with a spirited charge through the field.
Another charge into the field, would certainly liven things up.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 08:02 (Ref:2232427)   #11
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
Another charge into the field, would certainly liven things up.
Touche!

Something tells me he'll be paying particular attention to red lights this weekend.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 08:06 (Ref:2232429)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Hopefully Lewis has taken another look at the 'Highway Code' and will be a little more clued up about what's happening in the pit lane.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 10:21 (Ref:2232510)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Scorchio!

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/...prix-expected/
Old 19 Jun 2008, 13:51 (Ref:2232649)   #14
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Autosport are saying thunderstorms all weekend, like the did in Canada. We can only hope.
Old 19 Jun 2008, 17:03 (Ref:2232794)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hmm. Magny Cours.

Well, safe to say this will be utterly dreary unless it rains.

Perhaps the evil, non-underdog, media hogging, pitlane crashing Brit will liven things up with a charge through the field. Sadly, having seen Alonso's efforts last year amount to absolutely zero, I doubt we can expect too much in the way of excitement barring an impromptu and wholly unnecessary red light disco at the end of the pitlane.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 00:37 (Ref:2233082)   #16
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, my normal disdain for this race has been moderately tempered by the hopes of seeing what Lewis can do from midpack.

I think McLaren's qualifying strategy will be interesting - does Lewis qualify as per normal and aim to get as high as possible with a low fuel load - thereby starting (say) 11th with minimal fuel load?

Or does he aim to qualify fifth or sixth - thereby starting 15th or 16th with a heavy fuel load?

Wow, I found another interesting aspect to this weekend!!!!
Old 20 Jun 2008, 10:35 (Ref:2233331)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Cars from 11th on the grid usually 'fuel up' anyway,so there's no need for Hamilton to run 'light'.

So that's the interesting bit out the window then.

It's interesting that a 'deep depression' could possibly be cured by a 'deep depression'..............what sort of shape is the track in?
Old 20 Jun 2008, 10:53 (Ref:2233342)   #18
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Hmm I forgot about FP1 .. Did I miss any excitement?

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 11:09 (Ref:2233353)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar
Hmm I forgot about FP1 .. Did I miss any excitement?
No,nothing happened for the first half hour and then nothing happened when the cars went out on the track.Apparently Cows could be heard eating grass and ringing bells in nearby fields (they have campanologistic herbivores in France).

Practice 2 must surely be better,but if the local cows can do a decent rendition of 'Frere Jaques'..........

Last edited by Marbot; 20 Jun 2008 at 11:15.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 12:13 (Ref:2233397)   #20
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We go from a track that was breaking up to one that certainly won't.

I don't have the same dislike for this track as some; whilst the races aren't usually exciting, the circuit itself is a bit different. The quick chicanes look fun, and Turn 8 is an odd one, a left-hand hairpin where you have to wait to put the power down a bit and where the line is not so clear.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 12:16 (Ref:2233400)   #21
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I may be in a pretty small minority here but I will always here a soft spot for Magny Cours as it is to date the only GP I have seen in person (last year) and as a spectacle it was great. Clearly much more fun in the wet though and turn 8 is indeed good to see - you get a huge amount of variation in line from those keeping it tight to the apex and others out to the Piquet line over by the marshals station
Old 20 Jun 2008, 13:04 (Ref:2233423)   #22
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot
Cars from 11th on the grid usually 'fuel up' anyway,so there's no need for Hamilton to run 'light'.

So that's the interesting bit out the window then.
Except he has his 10 place penalty to serve, and I believe if he makes it to Q3 he still has to run that fuel load, no matter where he starts in the field after penalties. But I've been wrong before.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 13:23 (Ref:2233442)   #23
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The kerbs look high in the final chicane, but the drivers are still smacking over them to the point where it appears a gentler approach would help their speed all the way down to the second corner.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 13:24 (Ref:2233444)   #24
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Renault (in the hands of one of their drivers, at least - Fernando is carrying 11kph more than Nelson through the apex of turns 11/12) seems to have improved this weekend...that long awaited suspension update looks to be doing the trick.
Old 20 Jun 2008, 13:35 (Ref:2233452)   #25
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yikes. Fernando fastest, Vettel fifth. The race may be a bore, but qually could be slightly interesting yet.