Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Jul 2009, 06:56 (Ref:2505862)   #76
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
personally I think either Le Relais de Pommard or Francochamps Racing Hotel are very good - you want to use teh restaurant for Relais de Pommard as its best. If you are brave then Bates Motel at the top of the hill.....
Old 22 Jul 2009, 09:27 (Ref:2505939)   #77
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another place that is decent is the Hotel le Pierre, Avenue Reine Astrid, 86, Spa, 4900 Phone +3287775210.

Very well priced and fairly good rooms.

Also being in Spa it has the benefits of all the local bars and restaurants.
Old 3 Aug 2009, 16:02 (Ref:2514689)   #78
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The eligability scrutineers at Spa have had the 'odd' niggle in the past; E-types with 6 branch exhausts and not 3 into one, front brakes etc etc. Given what happened with engines at Silverstone any one considered a full scale riot in that department at the six hours?
Old 3 Aug 2009, 16:15 (Ref:2514715)   #79
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What happened? Did anyone get pulled?
Old 3 Aug 2009, 16:42 (Ref:2514737)   #80
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
The eligability scrutineers at Spa have had the 'odd' niggle in the past; E-types with 6 branch exhausts and not 3 into one, front brakes etc etc. Given what happened with engines at Silverstone any one considered a full scale riot in that department at the six hours?
I find it very hard to believe that was not written without a certain amount of mischief in mind ?

As is well known,sadly the 6Hr is not run as an FIA event.Therefore the man who would do something about such things,cannot really make any decisions concerning eligibilty issue's.HOWEVER,there is always the protest opption.

[PS, The man who should be able to tackle these things, can still put a little red dot on your FIA papers and be a little sturn withyou.

I suppose it would be rude to leave Cobra's out of this.
Old 3 Aug 2009, 17:55 (Ref:2514799)   #81
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Iain has a bit of a logistical problem over the Six Hours weekend - he's got cars out at Monza, Nürburgring and Spa! It looks as thought I'll be involved at Spa.

So... A draft timetable is available for the Eifelrennen, but has anyone seen anything resembling a draft timetable for Spa yet? - It would be very useful for our plans.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 07:49 (Ref:2515214)   #82
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
There are many hooky cars at Spa and best thing to do if there is any question of mechanical misdeeds is put them in Eau Rouge section.
That should be overburdened with E Types
This thing about protests is bull...t as the officers of the meeting should sort these things out not leave it to other competitors.
There must be a way of checking capacity,no of speeds in box,brakes,weight and dimensions.It's not rocket science
Could it be organisers are worried about no of entries as how many would do 6 hrs if they had to have correct cars?
It is one of the best races/meetings of the year and its a pity if it lost its position due to bent machines being allowed to run.
How many of the top twenty cars from last year were real?
I await the Spa groupies to put up a stout defence but suggest a pragmatic view is taken.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 10:46 (Ref:2515318)   #83
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think they [Vincent and Alain] would have any worries about filling the grid with 'proper'cars,they are already well over subscribed.
And your right about protests,it should not be something that even takes place,these things should be sorted BEFORE the hooky cars get on the grid.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 11:15 (Ref:2515348)   #84
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
They are not filling it with correct cars at present.As a rule of thumb any Jag/Cobra that breaks 2 53 in Spa form is probably bent.That includes using the best drivers.
Should let 2 litre Sports Racers back and impose 4.7 litre actual limit.OK course capacities need to be checked but none of the organisers want to do that.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 11:47 (Ref:2515373)   #85
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
But with allowing Sports Racers back in,you will land up with the problem the Snett Three Hour has,ie,too many of them.Like the present situation with the bigger V8s,everyone will think they are the way to go if you want to win,regardless of whether they can drive or not.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 12:04 (Ref:2515384)   #86
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
When we first went to the 6 hour there was allways a Group 4 race for Sports Cars. We were invited to race ouy Historic Sports 2000 and Me and Compte would have great fun diving under T70's under braking. Then some spoil sport threw us out.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 12:57 (Ref:2515414)   #87
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The quickest 1600 cc Sports Racer is about same speed as GT 40 at Spa.All Pre 66. So only 2 litre that are suitable are 904/Abarth which lap late 50's and these are already eligible.The 904 engine sizes vary!
Old 4 Aug 2009, 16:01 (Ref:2515523)   #88
simon drabble
Veteran

Having done it in a sports racer I think the only real reason for them being banned was pressure from the more flash cars which it now transpires might have a more liberal interpretation asto what is kosher which is deeply ironic! Terry you are right several of them would enter but previous there were only about 5 which is considerably less than the B's!! Re guards the 2 litre cars like B8's are not eligible due to 66 cut off date so if you look at the number of Elva's Merlyn's and 23b's that would be more reflective - I think it would be a good thing and of course period correct....
Going back to an earlier question I would be grateful if someone knows when the HSCC race is I would be grateful as I need to book my crossings!
Old 4 Aug 2009, 16:15 (Ref:2515539)   #89
Highworth
Rookie

England
Wiltshire
Highworth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enquiries today suggests timetable not yet known, and HSCC entry forms not yet available, but I did get the Barry BSCC race entry forms this morning by e-mail. Anyone else with other updates would be helpful, although to be on safe side I've already booked ferries out wednesday & back monday so as not to be in a rush as prices seemed to be going up every day I looked them up ......
Old 4 Aug 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2515561)   #90
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I have found the ferry prices pretty static using P&O, they also seem to be the cheapest and don't forget you may not get access to the track until Thursday PM.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 16:49 (Ref:2515562)   #91
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thursday is signing on because Thursday afternoon is free practice, for those that wish to pay of course.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 16:56 (Ref:2515564)   #92
Tonto
Rookie

Wales
LlanfairPG
Tonto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the 6hrs isnt running to Appx K regs then what regs have been adopted? Its all very well citing suspicious lap times but perhaps they are achievable in cars prepped to the regs if the regs in use are looser than Appx K. Issue is to clarify what applies and then ensure that Scrutineering is proper technical scrutineering to ensure entrants meet the regs in force, not just checking you have an FIA seat in date and if not 'allez vous en' or buy a seat off 'mon frere' who conveniently has an awning selling FIA Recaros at Eu1500 a pop right next door!
Old 4 Aug 2009, 17:02 (Ref:2515568)   #93
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Thursday is signing on because Thursday afternoon is free practice, for those that wish to pay of course.
Aha yes, I was thinking of the wrong meeting.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 17:47 (Ref:2515606)   #94
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Going back to Ferries, I am suprised no HSCC member has mentioned the club's 'travel partner', Grandstand Motor Sports. Link is available on the HSCC website, and for anyone (like me) who tows with a van, they are much cheaper than booking with P&O direct. The Ferry companies do not distinguish between a commercial vehicle being used for hire & reward and a racer just needing more space than a car or 4x4 can offer!

They also offer one price regardless of travel time, subject to the usual under or over 5 day rule. As a previous satisfied customer, I will be using them for the second time this season when making Spa trip!

Mike
Old 4 Aug 2009, 18:42 (Ref:2515632)   #95
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Going back to Ferries, I am suprised no HSCC member has mentioned the club's 'travel partner', Grandstand Motor Sports. Link is available on the HSCC website, and for anyone (like me) who tows with a van, they are much cheaper than booking with P&O direct. The Ferry companies do not distinguish between a commercial vehicle being used for hire & reward and a racer just needing more space than a car or 4x4 can offer!

They also offer one price regardless of travel time, subject to the usual under or over 5 day rule. As a previous satisfied customer, I will be using them for the second time this season when making Spa trip!

Mike
I keep hearing of these special deals but have yet to find one that's cheaper than booking direct, I've just been on the P&O site and got a quote of £140 return for car and trailer against £165 on the site you mentioned.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 18:47 (Ref:2515638)   #96
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
we use the tunnel and where told we'd get a better deal direct online

and theres no chance of being sick!

Tonto . . .as with every other race series and event in europe, it pupports to be FiA APp K but its a seeling point no a sticking point, why do you think virtually every single car 'with papers' is considerably faster than a lot of those that will never even ask for them.

when any top 10 or so running U2TC car is faster than Gordons Anglia one feels justified in questioning legality.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 18:51 (Ref:2515644)   #97
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonto View Post
If the 6hrs isnt running to Appx K regs then what regs have been adopted? Its all very well citing suspicious lap times but perhaps they are achievable in cars prepped to the regs if the regs in use are looser than Appx K. Issue is to clarify what applies and then ensure that Scrutineering is proper technical scrutineering to ensure entrants meet the regs in force, not just checking you have an FIA seat in date and if not 'allez vous en' or buy a seat off 'mon frere' who conveniently has an awning selling FIA Recaros at Eu1500 a pop right next door!

ALL cars should be to FIA spec's,there is no inbetween.[At least,there should not be]
Old 4 Aug 2009, 19:11 (Ref:2515654)   #98
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob View Post
I keep hearing of these special deals but have yet to find one that's cheaper than booking direct, I've just been on the P&O site and got a quote of £140 return for car and trailer against £165 on the site you mentioned.
Tim, if P&O direct works for you then great. I know only way I have been able to get their or Sea France rates down is to travel off peak- like 5 am or such. And with small Vito and trailer the rates are virtually double what a Disco and trailer is, despite fact that van is shorter and same height. So HSCC works for me! Having said that, the direct booking rates do seem to fluctuate through the season and it is always worth double checking- which is what I am about to do!
Old 4 Aug 2009, 19:57 (Ref:2515687)   #99
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
likewise Mike . . .it can change daily, the breadknife gets a deal through work ( hopefully)

she might even pay for it!
Old 4 Aug 2009, 20:06 (Ref:2515696)   #100
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Tim, if P&O direct works for you then great. I know only way I have been able to get their or Sea France rates down is to travel off peak- like 5 am or such. And with small Vito and trailer the rates are virtually double what a Disco and trailer is, despite fact that van is shorter and same height. So HSCC works for me! Having said that, the direct booking rates do seem to fluctuate through the season and it is always worth double checking- which is what I am about to do!
Strangely enough I tried to book a 10m motorhome plus trailer with P&O last week and it said anything over 6.5m has to go as freight. I tried again on Sunday and it gave me a price of £195 return going at 0915 out and 1900 Sunday coming back so I can only assume thier site makes it p as it oes along.