Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 22 Oct 2001, 14:25 (Ref:163926)   #1
Geva racing
Racer

Geva racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What did you think of 2001 Festival?

Your stories please:

I had a great time that's for sure
Old 22 Oct 2001, 14:58 (Ref:163938)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I too had a great time. It stayed relatively dry on Saturday but the heavens opened on Sunday making it a pretty miserable final. Considering it was the 30th Formula Ford Festival I was disappointed at the lack of Formula Fords actually racing. In past years there has been little else on the track over the two days. This year we had Radicals (one 90 minute race, huge yawn), Karts, RT 2000, Fiesta's and Sports 2000 on the program. The event is in grave danger of losing the atmosphere it has built up over the past 29 years in my opinion.
Old 22 Oct 2001, 16:08 (Ref:163984)   #3
Geva racing
Racer

Geva racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
same here
Old 22 Oct 2001, 17:51 (Ref:164037)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Does anyone know who the major sponsor was who pulled out of the Festival at the last minute? I was going to suggest it might be Duckhams as they normally sponsor it.
Old 22 Oct 2001, 18:57 (Ref:164067)   #5
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

overall the festival was good, but the FF final was a bit dissapointing(the last race of the season @ silverstone was better in my opinion).

The highlight for me was the RT2000 dunlop tin tops (sat), lots of real racing action.
Old 22 Oct 2001, 21:09 (Ref:164124)   #6
TVR
Rookie

TVR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the sponser was total fuels that pulled out at the last minute..#
the festivall was mega exept the final that was booorrring.
Old 22 Oct 2001, 22:07 (Ref:164157)   #7
kpm
Rookie

kpm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
zipford

did anyone see the zipford display or look at them in the zip marquee and if so what did you think of them
Old 22 Oct 2001, 22:21 (Ref:164164)   #8
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought it was great, i was disappointed that Pat Long was disqualified because he was by far the fastest, hungriest and IMO most deserving. I would have thought that there would have been more cars in the heats. The inside of druids was great for the start of the first heat as Long came charging up on the inside, a man on a mission. RT2000s were good, plenty of offs all round. The start of the final wasnt too bad although it did die down after a couple of laps the wearther kept it interesting.

Congratulations to van der Merwe for a good drive in the final even if I didn't want him to win it.
Old 22 Oct 2001, 22:22 (Ref:164165)   #9
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
what did you think of 2001 Festival

As predicted by those who know their chassis the Haywood Mygales were more than a match in the wet for Norfolks finest. Alan van der Merwe did a text book move on Goransson at Clearways and another on teammate Bremer to take the lead at G.Hill bend, a 100% committed move! Pat Long! what a chump taking out Dahlgren in the semi! he would have won it on agregate anyway! I thought the race had a worthy winner and was well worth the 15 quid entry.
Old 23 Oct 2001, 00:28 (Ref:164210)   #10
Ian-S
Racer

Ian-S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most of Sunday racing was good, but final was boring, shame it rained really, but worth the trip.

Biggest disapointment was getting home to watch it on Sky only to find they were not showing it, I thought they were being optomistic when I saw it scheduled for a 9pm start slot, even more so when I saw they were filming onto tape (no live feed to the truck) and then obviously going to edit it at the circuit and rush the tape up the motorway.

Anybody know how this guy is (no. 57 i think) - got quiet a whack at McLaren and was in a bit of pain afterwards.
Attached Thumbnails
festival2.gif  
Old 23 Oct 2001, 07:23 (Ref:164296)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Can't help with the name of the driver I'm afraid. I hear Sky are to show the race next weekend so look in the listings for times etc.

I hear through the grapevine that Mr Long has also threatened to take someone else out in one of the races which might explain why they made the decision to exclude him from the meeting after his clash. If the Clerk of the Course is aware in advance of things like this, then he asks the marshals to keep a special 'eye' on certain drivers.

Stephen.
Old 23 Oct 2001, 08:33 (Ref:164317)   #12
Ed Hill
Rookie

Ed Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I recall it right this was in the first semi and caused a red flag situation. It was Dutchman Ho Pin Tung (in the back, not number 57, but the orange car behind it), who had a stunning performance all weekend. He was taken to the hospital for some pictures, because his arm hurt really well... He only had a lot of pain, but nothing broken though...
Old 23 Oct 2001, 12:24 (Ref:164400)   #13
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didn't see the accident properly but the amount of safety vehicles made it look quite serious.

And I very much doubt that if you were going to take someone out you would be telling people about it in advance. Still I am a Pat Long fan so I don't suppose I can comment fairly on this!!!
Old 23 Oct 2001, 13:07 (Ref:164432)   #14
Ed Hill
Rookie

Ed Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, actually at the drivers presentation on Saturday, he was interviewed by Brian Jones, Brands Hatch' commentator. Asked about the British championship clash with Dahlgren Pat gave a very good answer... Brian laughed and said: "And what do you REALLY think about it?"... "The ******* is going off", Pat said (laughing)... he said it as a joke, but well, next day proved that it wasn't just a joke
Old 23 Oct 2001, 13:11 (Ref:164433)   #15
Spiddy-Spid
Rookie

Spiddy-Spid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoyed the festival, although the final was fairly dull without a decent Long/Dahlgren battle, even the commentator was quiet during the final.

In my view it was right to disqualify Long from the final, (although I'm all up for revenge, in a big way!!) In the driver forum on Saturday evening, Long was asked about Dahlgren, and he replied "The b*st*rd's going off" a fairly definite threat by the sounds of it. (He also had some interesting comments when the name of another young American who did well at last year's festival came up )

In the semi where the accident occured, the race was stopped a couple of times, and was being run as an aggregate. Long was leading on aggregate, but following Dahlgren on the road, with Bremmer close behind. On the run downhill from druids, the three were nose-to-tail, when Long hit Dahlgren from behind, firing Dahlgren into the barriers. Long defended himself after, saying that Dahlgren knew he'd have to pull a big lead to win on aggregate, so instead he chose to make it difficult for Long to pass, and allow Bremmer to catch and distract Long.

So Long took his choice and got his revenge for Silverstone. Although I doubt it will win him any fans in future team managers...
Old 23 Oct 2001, 13:30 (Ref:164440)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Thats what you get for employing 'dodgy' tactics!
Old 23 Oct 2001, 13:37 (Ref:164443)   #17
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
I'm still a fan, don't suppose that counts for much though.
Old 23 Oct 2001, 14:10 (Ref:164455)   #18
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
The commentary was poor because Brands Hatch had problems with their public address system caused by the heavy rain that fell duing the morning.

As I said earlier, when you make comments like Long did, he makes himself the subject of scrutiny by the officials. No doubt his 'off the cuff' remarks led to him being excluded.

Sad innit...
Old 23 Oct 2001, 18:38 (Ref:164575)   #19
overstuur
Rookie

overstuur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how about the new Zetec cars presented ?

Can anyone who was there comment on the changes to the '02 spec Mygale and Van Diemen ?

Cheers
Old 23 Oct 2001, 19:51 (Ref:164597)   #20
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What did you think of the 2001 Festival

Well at least Long's antics kept us amused it seems! I saw Longs Dad John at Paddock bend just after the race and told him he wont get away with that in a semi! and that he didn't even need too do it! Silly boy! But it shouldn't distract from a guttsy determined and precision drive from 'Swerver' as Van der Merwe is affectionatly know at Haywood Racing. One Injured driver in the first semi, as the 'Safety'? car was deployed! was Tom Gaymore in the ex Ant Davidson last year winning chassis.
Old 23 Oct 2001, 19:55 (Ref:164599)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Yes I saw that. Everyone bunched up and then there was nowhere to go...bang, crash, wallop! I hope the driver is ok as I didn't hear anything at the marshals raffle about him not being well.
Old 23 Oct 2001, 20:00 (Ref:164602)   #22
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
What did you think of 2001 Festival

No bones broken! Seems another came came over the top of him and the front wishbones penetrated the footwell striking his foot!
Old 23 Oct 2001, 21:27 (Ref:164635)   #23
Lisa Davidson
Rookie

Lisa Davidson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The festival as ever (well for about the last 5 years) was rubbish.

the best race by far was the FF1600 race.

The problem is money, it was only ever going to be a driver from one of two teams who would win and yet again that proved to be the case. No one else stood a chance no matter how well they drove. The best and most exciting driver all weekend was Ho-Pin Tung (I'm talking only about Zetec's here) and once he was out it was boring as hell.

I want to see a festival for 1600 cars again like we used to have. Then you really would see the best driver win. Then you wouldn't need the latest engine, works backing, new tyres every time you hit the track etc. just to be even in the final!

I can't fault Alan Van Der Merwe though, he drove a great race and once he took the lead made no mistakes. But, has he really done well enough this year to deserve an F3 drive in the top team!!!?? Just goes to show doesn't it that they'll take anyone with the money.
Old 23 Oct 2001, 22:26 (Ref:164651)   #24
Paul Rayner
Veteran

Paul Rayner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hill
If I recall it right this was in the first semi and caused a red flag situation. It was Dutchman Ho Pin Tung (in the back, not number 57, but the orange car behind it)
Car No. 57 was Ho Pinn Tung. His car looked like the FFord equivalent of John B & Q's car. The other, blue and white car, No. 11 was Steven Kane, driving the unluckiest Formula Ford car of the year, the one previously owned by Charles Hollings.

This year was my first ever Formula Ford Festival and I was a bit disappointed. I could feel the tension mounting into what was supposed to be one last final with 28 drivers desparate to get a result, but in the end it was all really spread out, I've seen several better races in the Slick 50 championship this year.
Old 24 Oct 2001, 07:17 (Ref:164723)   #25
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Lisa I agree with you about the Kent engined 1600's. In those days you had race after race after race, no Fiesta, no RT2000's, no karts, no radicals, just F Fords and the racing was superb. I think the problem these days is that the series has become so professional that your Mr Average doesn't stand a chance, sad isn't it?

Paul, you are right about the final but much of that has to be attributed to the dire conditions under which they were racing. In past years when it's been wet we have had the same sort of spread out races. In dry conditions F Ford's come into their own.