Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 12 Sep 2000, 19:35 (Ref:36796)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The latest rumors from Autosport, ESPN and other sources claim to have nailed down some of the driver changes coming for next year.

Cristiano daMatta was announced at the Laguna Seca Grand Prix to be driving for Newman-Haas next year presumably with Christian Fittipaldi. With KMart ending its sponsorship program expect NHR to be sporting some new Brazilian sponsorship next year.

With daMatta going to NHR, this leaves Mo Nunn Racing out on the young Brazilian's services and opens the doors for Felipe Giaffone to come up from Indy lights. Sponsor Hollywood is said to be keen on sponsoring two cars for the team next year. However, team partner Rod Campbell is expected to fill a second seat within the team with an American with an unnamed new sponsor. Casey Mears leads this list but Jimmy Vasser, Bryan Herta, and Memo Gidley are also said to be under consideration. The team is also expected to run Honda engines next year.

Walker racing may switch from current powerplant Honda to new Zakspeed effort in light of the addition of the German round of the CART FedEx Championship. Zakspeed would be a welcome replacement for departing Mercedes-Ilmor.

Target/Chip Ganassi racing plan on testing three drivers in the next few weeks to fill both seats within the team. F3000 champ Bruno Junqueira, F3000 standout Nicolas Minassian, and Toyota Atlantic points leader Buddy Rice. Rumors pesist that Memo Gidley may also be considered for the seat.

In the most unlikely and most sport rocking change that might come is the rumor that Bobby Rahal may leave to head up the Jaguar F1 Team next year. This is highly unlikely to come about.

Autosport is reporting today that Mark Blundell will be leaving PacWest Racing at the end of the season. His plans after this season are unknown. This could make room for incoming Brit Johnny Herbert and a switch for PacWest to Ford power for next year.
Old 12 Sep 2000, 20:13 (Ref:36800)   #2
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
from the indianapolis star:

Rahal joining CART exodus to lead a Formula One team

Commentary by Robin Miller

The Indianapolis Star

September 11, 2000

MONTEREY, Calif. -- Bobby Rahal will leave his interim position as CEO of Championship Auto Racing Teams in a couple of months and resume his duties running a race team.

But it will be in Formula One.

Sources report that Rahal will take over the troubled Jaguar program for a minimum of two years, beginning in 2001, but continue to field a two-car effort of Kenny Brack and Max Papis in the FedEx Championship.

A CART team owner, who requested anonymity, said Rahal is headed for the grand prix circuit, which visits Indianapolis in two weeks.

Rahal has reportedly sold his home in Dublin, Ohio.

"It leaked out to me, by accident, from one of the members of the Delaware Board (CART's governing body)," the owner said. "He said Bobby was leaving for a couple of years but isn't ready to announce it yet.

"Imagine that, Formula One not only takes (Juan) Montoya, now they're raiding our owners."

Sunday morning, Rahal denied he was moving into Formula One.

"That's an old rumor," replied Rahal when asked if he was going to be joining fellow CART owner Barry Green, who is taking over the reigns of the British American Racing F-1 stable in 2001. "There's been no discussion at that level. I'd say it's a non-story.

"Besides, I've got four children. It would not be a simple thing to just pick up and go."

Green, whose champ car sponsor Kool is owned by British American Tobacco, will be reunited with '95 CART champ Jacques Villeneuve to try to sort out the disappointing BAR team.

Montoya, CART's defending champ, will begin his F-1 career next season for Frank Williams.

Dan Davis, the director of North American racing for Ford, said, "I wouldn't say it's a bad rumor.

"I'm no longer involved in Ford's F-1 program, but never say never."

Rahal, whose CART squad has been run by Scott Roembke in his absence, is loyal to Ford, which purchased Jackie Stewart's F-1 team last year and renamed it Jaguar Racing.

personally I cant believe rahal could just walk over and be very successfull in F1.

he would, of course, have to bring 'his people' with him.
and what do they know about F1?

the reason for the rumors is the fact that cart is a mess.

they don't have a work around for what tony did to american open wheel racing. he f....ed it. he f....ed it real good.

Old 12 Sep 2000, 23:36 (Ref:36842)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Blundell thing is a reality - and while I hate to say goodbye to Mark because he is a genuinely nice guy, he should have retired two years ago while he was still a contender. Scott Dixon apparently has been hired for that ride, at least that was the last I heard.

since da Matta races for PPI/Pioneer, I can't see how this affects Mo Nunn Racing ... or did I miss something here?

I have also heard that either Lee Bentham or Andrew Bordin are getting the seat being vacated by Carpentier. Both will be tested.

The Rahal rumour, I can't believe that at all. But Sources say that Kim Green is going to be running Team KOOL Green next year while Barry kicks Butt at BAR.
Old 13 Sep 2000, 13:07 (Ref:36919)   #4
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently Mo Nunn had all but a written contract on daMatta for next year and Newman-Haas picked him off.

I too think that Rahal will not be leaving his team to manage the runaway train that is Jaguar Racing. Why would Ford replace an obvious morale and strategy leader like Jackie Stewart for a guy too far removed from F1? If Rahal does go, it could be end for CART as we know it now. He is one of the few personalities that still demands a lot of respect from Tony George. With him I think there will eventually some sort of compromise, but without, I think TG will eventually win.
Old 14 Sep 2000, 00:19 (Ref:37045)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they'd only see sense and put Mario Andretti in charge of CART, He Who Shall Not Be Named would be vanquished like dew at dawn in Texas.

Old 14 Sep 2000, 02:35 (Ref:37062)   #6
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
herbert should race class b british touring cars....
Old 14 Sep 2000, 13:30 (Ref:37114)   #7
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
Well, now even Speedvision/RACER are reporting that while no one would go on record as saying Rahal was leaving, it has been confirmed from team owners. What willthis bode for CART?
Old 14 Sep 2000, 16:10 (Ref:37138)   #8
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd vote for Don King to be incharge of CART, like I'd vote for him to be President of the United States! As long as he doesn't put the races on Pay-per-view, I think he'd be great!
Old 14 Sep 2000, 18:25 (Ref:37152)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
*sighs* what a great combination for an all american team, a pair of brazilians. what is this world coming to? it's going to be a good pairing. maybe those two will teach the team how to handle two drivers at once...still not sure about the name situation though.

johnny herbert shouldn't just assume there will be a drive in cart for an old english driver. just cause nigel did, doesn't mean he will. nige was an all time great, johnny an unlucky essex boy (his accent still cracks me up). he's very talented, but if only he'd have not had that accident. he's just a few years too old.

bobby rahal is carts loss and f1's huge gain. he's a great person to head up a sport - he knows what it's about, he can work with drivers, it's a bit too good to be true.

so would mo have run two cars for da matta and kanaan? (stupid question - who'd drop tony). problem is, though, if you look at it from da matta's point of view, mo's team may have the know how, but lack the real speed to give him wins. newman haas are a much better long and short term choice.

i'm not sure how they'll do next year though. having said oh yes, it's a great comination, will they have the money to pull it off? and will paul newman want to hang around now mikeys gone? carl haas might look a bit shifty towards the end of next season as well, i reckon. i'm not sure how much more brazilian sponsorship there is to be had. christian certainly doesn't have much in the way of corporate fan bases, and cristiano's got pioneer (i can see a great paint job coming...), but for how long? i never thought about that side of it before. oh dear....

ah well.

Old 14 Sep 2000, 18:55 (Ref:37158)   #10
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

The latest rumor has it that Evita Peron will be heading up el CARTO!
Old 14 Sep 2000, 22:50 (Ref:37194)   #11
Liz
Veteran

She was from Argentina when she was alive ...

Everyone and his dog are now saying the Rahal thing is a done deal. Who will run Team Rahal now? (Sit down, Mr. Forsythe.)

The only thing that will please me more than two Brazilians at N/H would be two Brazilians at TCGR. It could happen!
Old 15 Sep 2000, 02:01 (Ref:37232)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who has been running team Rahal since he has been away? Don't ya think it can run himself?
Old 15 Sep 2000, 13:33 (Ref:37332)   #13
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Yep! My dog told me this morning after he got off the net.