Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 27 Feb 2007, 14:22 (Ref:1852870)   #1
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Historic RAF Tangmere, West Sussex
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would Seem The End of Longcross

From Barry Guess :-

Please be advised that it is with regret that I have to advise you of the cancellation of the 2007 Chieftain and Scorpion Sprints at Longcross following the decision of QinetiQ Management to withdraw the venue from ALL motor sport use.

This decision was confirmed this afternoon at a meeting between myself (as MSA Liaison Officer), Ian Davis (MSA) and the appropriate management at QinetiQ Farnborough.

The withdrawl is also effective immediately for all remaining motor club bookings for rallies (Craven MC / Sutton & Cheam MC / Rally Britannia / Bexley LCC / Oxford MC) and Sprint bookings (London Irish MC).

This situation is subject to an on-going discussion although it should be stressed that QinetiQ have stressed that they are unlikely to reverse their decision. Should there be any favourable development over the next few days then I will advise you accordingly.

I would ask that any queries or communications regarding this matter are directed toward me in the first instance.

Barry Guess

MSA Liaison Officer

BarryGCharlie@aol.com
Old 27 Feb 2007, 14:26 (Ref:1852873)   #2
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, unfortunately also saw this earlier - going to impact on lots of different types of events which is a shame.
Old 27 Feb 2007, 14:44 (Ref:1852885)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Not good, Longcross is a great venue - and one of the few rally venues in the South East as well. Is there any indication of the reasons for this?
Old 27 Feb 2007, 14:54 (Ref:1852894)   #4
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bert,
Think you will find that QinetiQ have been looking after the venue for a developer for the last couple of years.
If was said then when it was sold, that it would be when not if as regards loss of use.
Like you say a sad day for rallying in the South East.
Old 27 Feb 2007, 15:01 (Ref:1852898)   #5
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I'd heard something about the site being sold off to developers so I guess that's it I really enjoyed Longcross - the gradient ramps and The Snake were great fun We were looking at the SCMC Mini Tempest as a possible first outing for the new car (assuming it's not done for Abingdon). I guess we'll have to start heading further afield now to find venues (more expense ).
Old 27 Feb 2007, 15:09 (Ref:1852905)   #6
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
I'd heard something about the site being sold off to developers so I guess that's it I really enjoyed Longcross - the gradient ramps and The Snake were great fun We were looking at the SCMC Mini Tempest as a possible first outing for the new car (assuming it's not done for Abingdon). I guess we'll have to start heading further afield now to find venues (more expense ).
How could it not be done?
Even more reason now, and of course I will be at Abingdon doing radio.
Old 27 Feb 2007, 15:34 (Ref:1852916)   #7
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, development rumours have been going around for a while - I guess its finally happened now. Another blow for rallying in the south east - I guess its all about rising land prices.

Yet there is a massive market for motorsport in this region. I've often thought that if someone with vision could get together with car clubs and promoters there would be huge potential to develop a multidiscipline motorsport complex in the south east for those sports that are all struggling to find decent modern facilities (especially stockcars, rallycross and rallying). I know the stockcars have Wimbledon but there are rumours about that closing every year...
Old 27 Feb 2007, 15:48 (Ref:1852923)   #8
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas

Yet there is a massive market for motorsport in this region. I've often thought that if someone with vision could get together with car clubs and promoters there would be huge potential to develop a multidiscipline motorsport complex in the south east for those sports that are all struggling to find decent modern facilities (especially stockcars, rallycross and rallying). I know the stockcars have Wimbledon but there are rumours about that closing every year...
I said years ago about TV, Motorsport, Car manufacturers getting together and buying the place, but alas it didn't happen.
What we were using was only about half the site, if you go stright on through the gate where we turn right there is as much of the place again with office buildings ect.
Old 27 Feb 2007, 16:18 (Ref:1852944)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
[off topic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitmarshal
How could it not be done?
Simple it all comes down to time and more importantly ££££££££

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitmarshal
Even more reason now, and of course I will be at Abingdon doing radio.
Abingdon is great fun (if a little warm last year) we're aiming to be back for this year but it may be a bit sooner than our wallets can manage

[/off topic]

There must still be a need for sites like Longcross - so where are they going? Sites like that in the south east are doomed from a rallying point of view - especially ones that close to the M3/M4 corridor. The question now is where do the events that used Longcross go from here? Can alternative venues be found for all the events or are they just going to vanish?
Old 27 Feb 2007, 16:26 (Ref:1852959)   #10
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think alternative venues can be found - but things won't be the way we know them, and we may have to look further afield ie not in SE. Hopefully this potential trend of selling off venues will stop or at least leave us with enough decent venues to compete at.
Old 27 Feb 2007, 16:26 (Ref:1852960)   #11
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
I'm sorry to say, I think your last word says it all Bert!
Old 11 Apr 2007, 14:06 (Ref:1889035)   #12
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Talks are being held that may see Longcross back as a motorsport venue - apparently the door is not completely closed and things are progressing. It's just possible that events may be held there later this year Nothing is confirmed yet but at least there is hope.