Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jun 2003, 08:34 (Ref:635279)   #1
MiniMe
Racer

MiniMe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
#2 DC takes sensible pill ...

Looks like DC is being primed to become the #2 driver again ...

Coulthard risks being cast in supporting role

MONTREAL, June 16 (Reuters) - McLaren's David Coulthard must revive his fast-fading Formula One title hopes within the next few races to avoid being cast in a supporting role to Kimi Raikkonen.

"We have the ability in our drivers' contracts to call 'team orders' but I think it's a bit too early at the moment," McLaren managing director Martin Whitmarsh said after Sunday's Canadian Grand Prix.

"I think we're a few races away yet from making that decision."

Coulthard retired with a gearbox problem in Montreal, leaving the Scot seventh in the standings and 29 points adrift of Ferrari's world champion Michael Schumacher.

Finland's Raikkonen is three points behind the German, with eight races remaining.

Team orders during a race are now banned after Ferrari caused global outrage with their blatant manipulation of last year's Austrian Grand Prix in favour of Schumacher.

But Whitmarsh said there were internal procedures to give priority to whichever driver had the best chance of winning the championship.

"They're not allowed during a race if they prejudice the outcome of the race but there's various things such as how you allocate the spare car, how you operate the team in preparing for the race which is quite legitimate," he said.

"When you talk about a team order it is a broader subject than that which occurs in the event itself."

TEAM'S DECISION

Coulthard said he would accept the team's decision when and if the time came.

"You've always got to take a sensible pill on these things," he said. "If it's getting to the point where I'm not mathematically in with a chance then that is the team's right. I would never swim against the tide on that."

"Yes, I'm out there as an individual trying to do the best I can but I'm supported by a team and I have to respect that."

The 32-year-old Scot, overall runner-up to Schumacher in 2001, won the opening race in Australia but the title is now a distant dream.

"It's getting further away but each race is what it is and you've got to just try and get the maximum out of it," Coulthard said. "A lot can change, there's still a lot of points left.

"We all know it's going to be incredibly difficult to pull something like that back but it's not a mathematical impossibility so you have to keep on doing the job"
Old 18 Jun 2003, 09:41 (Ref:635329)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Yet again, DC faces that time of season when he just knows that his team-mates are better drivers and that he'll possibly have to play second fiddle to them
Old 18 Jun 2003, 09:50 (Ref:635337)   #3
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats why Coulthard will NEVER be champion, he can be a number #2 driver, without it being publicly stated (like Ferrari) but he doesn't seem to complain or fight at the start of the season to make himself the #1 driver.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 10:22 (Ref:635358)   #4
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nooo...... McLaren do a strange strategy. When team-orders were not illegal, they <ahem> "let them race" and blamed ferrari for openly admitting their no.1 and no.2 team strategy. Now they're illegal, so they also changed the policy: they openly admit that they "have ability in their drivers' contracts to call 'team orders'"... Hmm, new times, new regs, different approach..
Old 18 Jun 2003, 11:11 (Ref:635387)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Does anyone else think that DC's lacklustre first half of the season (barring an admittedly fine win at Albert Park) may be the beginning of the end? The gap between him and Raikkonen is glaring, and DC's experience should be telling, but his pace and performance are nowhere. Does he have a contract for 2004? If not, he should worry. And the Ronster should be talking to others. Fisi? Heidfeld?
Old 18 Jun 2003, 11:27 (Ref:635395)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Difficult one to judge. In the past Ron has always gone for stability in the team, rather like the longstanding Senna/Berger pairing, but I would have thought DC is getting towards the end of his days with McLaren and that Ron will be looking for a replacement who is on a par with Kimmi.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 12:08 (Ref:635423)   #7
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can you say Jackie V!!!!
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 12:53 (Ref:635478)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Afraid not!
Old 18 Jun 2003, 12:56 (Ref:635485)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
Does anyone else think that DC's lacklustre first half of the season (barring an admittedly fine win at Albert Park) may be the beginning of the end? The gap between him and Raikkonen is glaring,
Yes he did win, and a driver has to be in the right place at right time to capitilize, but DC's so called fine win only came about because of mistakes by JPM and Kimi, had it not been for good fortune on DC's part, his only highlight of the season so far wouldn't have happened.

Last edited by Mr V; 18 Jun 2003 at 12:57.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 13:45 (Ref:635537)   #10
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Some of DC's favorite songs.....
Hot Chocolate - Everyone ones a runnerup baby
ABBA - The #2 takes it all
Dr.Hook - I went off into the stones & I missed it
The Clash - I fought the Finns & the Finns won
John Farnham - 2 is the loneliest number
Little River Band - Playing to lose
Alice Cooper - No more Mr.Nice guy

Some of David's favorite movies.....
How the west (McLaren) was lost
There's something about Finns
A racer & a gentleman
Old 18 Jun 2003, 14:08 (Ref:635553)   #11
MiniMe
Racer

MiniMe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LOL@Ralf's post - thanks for the laugh
Old 18 Jun 2003, 14:51 (Ref:635586)   #12
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately for kimi/mac he makes just as variable no 2 as he does equal 1.
Remember how he has no fear of having a go at passing micheal at malaysia99?
Also remember how utterly useless he was at suzuka for the finale?
Old 18 Jun 2003, 14:51 (Ref:635587)   #13
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I take the point about RD preferring stability, but Kimi is now successful and mature enough that Ron can bring in a new long-term partner for him (which tends to rule out JV or Fisi). At the same time, I doubt he'd pick someone out of the lower formulae; he'd want someone whose rookie mistakes were behind him.

Can we spell Nick Heidfeld?
Old 18 Jun 2003, 16:36 (Ref:635671)   #14
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Certainly, the four major contenders for Coulthard's seat are Heidfeld, Fisichella, Wurz and Wilson. Wilson might be too inexperienced in F1 yet for Ron to consider him, but he'd be a good gamble.
Fisi, yes we all love him, but there seems to be little interest on the part of Woking. Giancarlo is not much yopunger than DC and has yet to mount a serious season at the front. Wurz, well respected within the team, a German speaker to the satisfaction of Mercedes, quick...And lastly Nick who performed quite well as Kimi Teammate two years ago and who has a McLaren connection.

My guess is that one of these four will take DC's seat/ God Bless him, but he just cannot run at Kimi's pace. After 8 seasons, it might be best for both the Team and the driver to go their seperate ways.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 16:42 (Ref:635677)   #15
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes I/m sorry DC has gotta be out of there. He has been in a top team for several years and done nothing with it - everytime it is "next year". I agree that I think Ron is going to want someone with a bit of experiece next to Kimi for a year though.
P.s - Ralf's post - giggly heaven!
Old 18 Jun 2003, 16:57 (Ref:635685)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think someone else should definately get that drive, DC has continually underperformed and it's got worse up against Kimi this year. There are several drivers, such as Fisichella and Wilson, who deserve a chance in a top team. Considering that he's had at least second-best car for all but two years of his career, his statistics are pitiful.
Old 19 Jun 2003, 08:05 (Ref:636331)   #17
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
My guess is it will be Heidfeldt as he was very well thought of by the McLaren test team.
Old 19 Jun 2003, 08:46 (Ref:636356)   #18
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'd think that Wurz must be some sort of chance.
Old 19 Jun 2003, 19:33 (Ref:636921)   #19
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC's been a lapdog for his entire career! He basically sold his soul to McLaren in the same way as RB at Ferrari! Remember Jerez 1997 and Melbourne 1998? DC is a British Barrichello.
Old 19 Jun 2003, 19:52 (Ref:636932)   #20
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Rubens? Expereince, give him a chance to try to win and give the team massive advantages on the way Ferrari work and give them ideas even just in the way the two tyre manufactureres compare. I know Kimi woul prob beat him but I think RB would try harder if he thought he could win. If DC does make it to '04 then you can be sure he is sure he will win the title this year.... deja vu!