Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 24 Jul 2013, 13:33 (Ref:3281155)   #26
JohnnyFiama
Racer

JohnnyFiama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But that is also often the way with the "pinnacle" of sports. Club racing and national racing will nearly always provide better racing than top level racing. In MotoGP you have almost perfect bikes with almost perfect riders, bikes rarely have problems and riders rarely make mistakes so it is often a processional sprint. Same when comparing F1 to a Formula Ford race at Castle Combe. For pure entertainment I'd take the F.Ford race any day but F1 is still the pinnacle.

Your arguments against Marquez aren't fair either, you only have to look how he demolished the Moto2 field (even with your arguments about his supposed bike advantage) and then compare his performances against Pedrosa and Lorenzo let alone the other recent rookies. He is clearly very special and yes he has had help but so have other riders who have failed miserably.

Any motorsport requires bucket loads of money. I'm sure if you gave a thousand people a massive budget you'd find a handful who could beat Pedrosa / Lorenzo or Vettel / Hamilton but what kind of argument is that? Most of the Moto2 (bikes) / GP2 (cars) grid pays to be there.
Old 24 Jul 2013, 19:56 (Ref:3281257)   #27
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Marquez really did have a certain advantage in Moto2, the bike was built around him really and still is, which is why most Suters these days are not up there week by week.

I would think with the backing of Repsol, Catalunya Caixa, Honda, etc etc a few riders could do as well.

And certainly guys like Kent, MCPhee, Redding have certainly not been paying for their rides over the years, I agree a few will be, but the top talent wont.
Old 24 Jul 2013, 22:10 (Ref:3281291)   #28
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot of people seem to be struck by 'Marquez mania' - and that MotoGP is in great health??? Really??? 3 probable winners - and maybe 2 more if circumstances allow.

I find it utterly boring at the moment - I still watch, but it's just not happening. It might be in Spain, but Spain isn't the world - and that is what the Championship should be about.

Relying on faceless Spanish racers isn't going to sell it around the world - Dorna need to see the bigger picture. And that's not going to happen. What happens when Rossi retires??
Old 24 Jul 2013, 22:26 (Ref:3281296)   #29
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Stoner comes back & gives Marquez a walloping

Seriously though, rumours floating around that Stoner could wildcard Japan & Australian GP's
Old 25 Jul 2013, 06:32 (Ref:3281358)   #30
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Motorbike racing isn't having a vintage year for me all round.....MotoGP is incredibly predictable from a very small pool of potential winners, the two best riders are injured and operating at about 70% pretty much handing it to a rookie who should be a complete sensation but somehow because of the lack of competition, it's all a bit flat. Ducati are still ****, Crutchlow is still just about where he was, the expected challenge from some of the unknowns....Spies and Pramac, Bradl, etc, just hasn't materialised.

I remember some of the races in 2012 and to be honest long for that level of competition again. The sight of Lorenzo, Pedrosa and Stoner, Rossi occasionally challenging on the Ducati, Cal and Dovizioso wheel to wheel every race for Tech3. It's gone downhill.

Then World Superbikes, with diminishing grids and evaporating manufacturer support ever since Ducati went in 2011. Hmm.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 07:41 (Ref:3281373)   #31
JohnnyFiama
Racer

Seriously??? In what way is it predictable? At the start of the season everyone said Pedrosa would win easily carrying on his form of last year, then it looked like Lorenzo would walk the championship when Marquez looked like he was going to make mistakes. Now it looks like Marquez can win. I wouldn't like to put money on a champion at this point with Pedrosa and Lorenzo coming back to full fitness.

Marquez, Lorenzo, Pedrosa and Rossi have all won races, Crutchlow and Bradl have potential to win.

Look back at the years of Doohan or Rossi domination for about 15 years, now that was predictable. Pick any year ever and find more than 3 or 4 consistent winners. Many seasons only had 1 or 2 obvious choices for a win.

I honestly don't know what you guys want..... I hate to say it but the main issue on this forum seems to be that the winners are Spanish. You seem to forget it's almost the national sport of Spain, they are bike mad, everyone wants to race and they have the climate for it. You sound like Spaniards complaining about the lack of Spanish players in top flight cricket.... get over it and enjoy the sport!
Old 25 Jul 2013, 12:29 (Ref:3281447)   #32
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think I really put any thought into who would win, I didn't expect Marquez to be hopeless, but I didn't expect Dani and Jorge to get injured, otherwise I think they would have been quicker recently.

Doohan turned people off, viewers started to watch superbikes coz at the time in the UK Foggy was winning so people loved that, GP's got maybe 15000 people through the gates before Rossi came in and bought it all back.

And you forget, Rossi made domination almost acceptable as he was fun, made the races still interesting, Doohan didn't, neither did Rainey usually.

My comments are based around my likes and my friends, many of which don't watch GP anymore because of the Spanish domination and the poor racing when the 800's came to the fore.

They didn't mind Stoner coz he was a genius, same here.

I don't enjoy GP at the moment, in fact a lot of bike racing is going through a difficult phase, too much electronics, too much money, not enough bikes in some classes. I don't mind Moto2/3 even though 3 is utter Spanish domination still. Even more pathetically so than other classes.

If you enjoy that and think its awesome fair enough, I don't, so get over it back.
Old 25 Jul 2013, 14:39 (Ref:3281490)   #33
JohnnyFiama
Racer

No problem, I meant get over it in a nice way!

I'll get my coat, just trying to inject a bit of positivity into proceedings...