Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 12 Dec 2006, 21:24 (Ref:1789299)   #101
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
There is no 85% rule Rob, it goes on GTW and axle weight. How old is your Iveco? There are new regs coming in for within the M25 that will practicaly outlaw anything pre 2001.
Look at VOSA's site. That's where I found it. Following a previous thread on here....

It's a recommendation - like the Highway Code.

If you try to pull more than 85% of your "prime mover's" weight, they can do you for "unsafe", even if your within the GTW and axle weights.

My Iveco is 1998.

Don't you just love Uncle Ken and his band of merry men!

Rob.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 21:36 (Ref:1789312)   #102
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With regards to engines.

There is no substitute for cubic inches.

I agree with Al, a V8 on gas.

One of my former "Team Mates" Carl Sawford, used to run a V8 Sherpa. That went like stink! Though returned about 16mpg towing.

I get 12mpg out of my motorhome, bearing in mind the whole setup weighs just under 9 tonnes, and it's a 454ci (8.2L) V8.... I don't hang about either!

Regarding the Iveco - it has windows in the side. With a little work - a sink, and a bed, it becomes a motorhome, and you'll find that it then become exempt from most of Ken's cunning plans. It could run on steam coal, and there's not a lot he can do about it! Plus it drops from £1.80 to £1 to go over the Dartford X-ing (plus extra for the trailer).

That used to return 23mpg regardless of trailer or not. But I admit to driving it, not pussyfooting around!

Rob.
Old 12 Dec 2006, 21:41 (Ref:1789316)   #103
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
If you try to pull more than 85% of your "prime mover's" weight, they can do you for "unsafe", even if your within the GTW and axle weights.
How does being within the legal weights make it unsafe?

Last edited by Tim Falce; 12 Dec 2006 at 21:52.
Old 13 Dec 2006, 11:30 (Ref:1789764)   #104
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Back to the challenge.

I used to tow my Capri on a BJ A series (4 wheel) with a Rover 218 Diesel.
Old 13 Dec 2006, 13:55 (Ref:1789873)   #105
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!

Sorry Peter, you can't count that, a 218 could've been deemed reasonable a few years ago.
Old 13 Dec 2006, 17:16 (Ref:1789968)   #106
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectic
Falcemob, Pistonheads has more Audi Allroads here.
Thanks for that, I had seen them but I think the prices the Allroads are commanding at the moment are more than I want to pay for a car.
Old 14 Dec 2006, 05:50 (Ref:1790293)   #107
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
There used to be a guy who pulled his Formula First about with a Morris Minor.

Can't remember his name. It was a lot of years ago!

As for being unsafe, yet within the weights.... it is possible. There are some cars (older rather than newer) that have higher towing weights than modern cars of the same weight. With CE regs, that's all changed. I seem to recall that you can't pull much more than 1600kg with a transit. In fact, a lot of European Motorhomes don't spec much more than 1500kg - so trying to pull a D-Type Jag on a 4wheel trailer with a Fiat Ducato based motorhome may be a no-no!!

For a good "car" as a tow barge - ex-Plod Omega Estate. Convert it to LPG, and away you go!

A Senator would be better - much more grunt, and more comfortable - but they're like hens teeth these days.

There are a few Lotus Carltons still about - but putting a towbar on one of those would be heresy.

Rob.
Old 14 Dec 2006, 07:58 (Ref:1790357)   #108
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As for being unsafe, yet within the weights.... it is possible. There are some cars (older rather than newer) that have higher towing weights than modern cars of the same weight. With CE regs, that's all changed. I seem to recall that you can't pull much more than 1600kg with a transit. In fact, a lot of European Motorhomes don't spec much more than 1500kg - so trying to pull a D-Type Jag on a 4wheel trailer with a Fiat Ducato based motorhome may be a no-no!!
Most European motorhomes with an ALKO chassis aren't allowed to tow more than 1000Kg. Likewise earlier Transit based motorhomes.

Fiat Ducato chassis based motorhomes (plus the Talbot/Peugeot versions) are usually OK until you get much above 20ft and then you are back down to low weights.

I'll get my kagool.
Old 14 Dec 2006, 08:01 (Ref:1790361)   #109
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably the oddest car I have ever seen fitted with a tow bar was a GT40 replica at Aldon Automotive that has just been upgraded to the Ford Cosworth V6 24 valve thingy.

Probably doesn't count here as it was used to tow a race motorbike.

And the driver was old enough for a free bus pass!
Old 14 Dec 2006, 08:09 (Ref:1790370)   #110
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Disagree there Rob as will the Aussie guy on here I asked about towing with the Holden Monaro, he recons its naff because of the independant rear suspension set up and having towed with a Carlton I tend to agree. Also the brakes do not have the balls IMO or at least they did not on my Carlton and later Omega.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 14 Dec 2006 at 08:11.
Old 14 Dec 2006, 09:25 (Ref:1790412)   #111
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the distant past I used to tow my Formula Ford with a Triumph Herald Coupe and I slept in it sometimes...
Old 14 Dec 2006, 10:15 (Ref:1790461)   #112
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:

Rob.
Agreed there Rob, but the vehicles you are talking about are not plated to tow the kind of weights you are talking about so not only unsafe but also illegal.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 06:10 (Ref:1791107)   #113
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenRae
In the distant past I used to tow my Formula Ford with a Triumph Herald Coupe and I slept in it sometimes...
Yes ,single seaters can be very cosy!

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 15 Dec 2006 at 06:20.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 01:00 (Ref:1792429)   #114
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
A guy in the Heritage used to tow with a Roller ! I used to do three meetings a week here and the continent 5 up with a 2 wheel trailer with my anglia van.
I saw a mustang on a large tipping trailer being towed by an old jetta at snetterton. If you are not sure take your fully loaded tow vehicle and trailer
with race car to your local weighbridge, weigh them seperatly then look at all the bumf on the chassis plate and work it out .Most traffic cops leave us alone as long as you dont do anything stupid, but as I have said before a lot of people dont even think about what they tow, and if they were involved in a serious crash their insurance company would probably wave them goodbye,
Old 17 Dec 2006, 07:21 (Ref:1792513)   #115
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I think you are right there Gordon and if it looks right they leave you alone, not quite sure about the Mustang towing Jetta though!
Old 17 Dec 2006, 08:16 (Ref:1792536)   #116
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
I do seem to remember (memory may be exaggerated as it was 40 odd years ago) that Eric Falce and bro Frank took his Etype to the tracks in the back of one of their Thames Trader tipper trucks. They got it out by driving it down a couple of scaffold boards wedged against the back.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 08:22 (Ref:1792539)   #117
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Did they tip the body as well!
Old 18 Dec 2006, 20:43 (Ref:1794010)   #118
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Stephen
How the hell you used to sleep in a Herald Coupe Christ no"s .One of my old birds had one in Malta back in the 60s and it was difficult to even get your leg over! But then I am 6ft 2in.
Old 21 Dec 2006, 11:55 (Ref:1796710)   #119
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
I do seem to remember (memory may be exaggerated as it was 40 odd years ago) that Eric Falce and bro Frank took his Etype to the tracks in the back of one of their Thames Trader tipper trucks. They got it out by driving it down a couple of scaffold boards wedged against the back.
Why doesnt this lad ask first,it was in fact a Ford D series tipper and the car was my 26R Lotus Elan.The ramps were two scaffold board locked together with locking pins called nails.How the hell it never fell off is a miracle but we seemed to be able to get away with things in those days!
Towed the E with a big old Buick and the Elan mainly with a 1300cc Cortina,the three main bearing variety.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 21 Dec 2006, 11:57 (Ref:1796724)   #120
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
Stephen
How the hell you used to sleep in a Herald Coupe Christ no"s .One of my old birds had one in Malta back in the 60s and it was difficult to even get your leg over! But then I am 6ft 2in.
Try it in a series 1 E type coupe,the sex bit that is!but I'm not 6-2.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 21 Dec 2006, 12:03 (Ref:1796732)   #121
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Falce
Try it in a series 1 E type coupe,the sex bit that is!but I'm not 6-2.
I seem to have stirred a few memories...as I remember, all I ever did in the Herald was sit there and try to sleep
Old 22 Dec 2006, 20:24 (Ref:1797922)   #122
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
'Ere wasn't that Fiona Richmond in the E-Type?

Rob.
Old 22 Dec 2006, 20:39 (Ref:1797934)   #123
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Quote:
'Ere wasn't that Fiona Richmond in the E-Type?

Rob.
Eh,no Rob,cant say who it was otherwise she will kill me!
Old 22 Dec 2006, 22:58 (Ref:1797997)   #124
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
and not a 2+2 either!
Old 23 Dec 2006, 07:30 (Ref:1798142)   #125
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
and not a 2+2 either!
2+2, nope, that would have been sissy