Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 14 Mar 2009, 02:23 (Ref:2415305)   #101
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems A1GP still has enough money at this point to go ahead with a large property purchase...http://www.the-news.net/cgi-bin/google.pl?id=1001-34
Old 14 Mar 2009, 10:52 (Ref:2415411)   #102
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3 View Post
It seems A1GP still has enough money at this point to go ahead with a large property purchase...http://www.the-news.net/cgi-bin/google.pl?id=1001-34
Of course, there's probably more than just meets the eye...
Did the Technology Park reduce their prices to get a high profile name there, so everyone else can pay more?
Have they sold other property to realise some investment, and therefore still have a net gain?
Are they paying a large premium up-front, or just taking it on a long-lease with annual rent?
etc
etc

Either way, it does show that A1GP are still in it for the long haul - regardless of anything it shows that A1GP are still investable.
Old 14 Mar 2009, 17:32 (Ref:2415593)   #103
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I honestly don't know what to make of this news. It could be an investment by Teixeira for something beyond A1GP.

All the information I'm getting makes me think that the series will make it through to the end of this season, but after that there's a big question mark and somehow this news just makes the question mark even bigger.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 02:03 (Ref:2451926)   #104
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The last sentence in this story suggests to me that Tony T is well aware of all the negative speculation but is fully intending to fund season 5 and therefore is keen to make sure not going to Mexico is not misconstrued as the series falling over: http://www.a1gp.com/News/NewsArticle.aspx?newsId=43022

And this story says a lot more about the local Surfers organisation than about A1GP, but is still a positive sign: http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...t-supergp.html

I still suspect that A1GP are stretching payments as far as possible, to the annoyance of more than a few people, but the funding is there in the background in case the .... hits the fan.
Old 29 Apr 2009, 10:32 (Ref:2452101)   #105
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3 View Post
The last sentence in this story suggests to me that Tony T is well aware of all the negative speculation but is fully intending to fund season 5 and therefore is keen to make sure not going to Mexico is not misconstrued as the series falling over: http://www.a1gp.com/News/NewsArticle.aspx?newsId=43022

And this story says a lot more about the local Surfers organisation than about A1GP, but is still a positive sign: http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...t-supergp.html

I still suspect that A1GP are stretching payments as far as possible, to the annoyance of more than a few people, but the funding is there in the background in case the .... hits the fan.
Kiwi it has nothing to do with streching payments, it is the complete lack of payment to all suppliers. Brands is going to be a very interesting event and not neccessarily on the track. Remember that this is the first time all A1 cars and equipment have arrived back in UK, and most suppliers, teams ect.. are UK based and have been waiting for payment since the start of the season. It may be that some may even try to stop this event via the legal system. I hope they don't as it would be better for them to finish off the season.
Old 2 May 2009, 21:44 (Ref:2454260)   #106
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In yesterday's Murphy:

Murphy’s heard that A1GP had a near-death experience over unpaid bills this week, until either a payment magically appeared yesterday, or creditors decided to carry until after the Brands Hatch round this weekend. If it’s the latter, the reckoning was only temporarily delayed, and in any case there’ll likely be rocks in the road getting to Australia’s Gold Coast in October.
Old 2 May 2009, 22:06 (Ref:2454272)   #107
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We shall see.. All the speculation is not going to help though.
Old 3 May 2009, 02:02 (Ref:2454330)   #108
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK View Post
In yesterday's Murphy:

Murphy’s heard that A1GP had a near-death experience over unpaid bills this week, until either a payment magically appeared yesterday,
Would not be the first time the funding/payments have suddenly happened just when the s*** is about to hit the fan. If it's not stretching payments then call it stretching cashflow then.
Old 3 May 2009, 06:26 (Ref:2454380)   #109
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No doubt there will be some more 'creative accounting' at some point. It isn't 'stretching payments', it sounds like insolvency. Mak's information is usually correct.
Old 3 May 2009, 15:25 (Ref:2454625)   #110
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK View Post
In yesterday's Murphy:

Murphy’s heard that A1GP had a near-death experience over unpaid bills this week, until either a payment magically appeared yesterday, or creditors decided to carry until after the Brands Hatch round this weekend. If it’s the latter, the reckoning was only temporarily delayed, and in any case there’ll likely be rocks in the road getting to Australia’s Gold Coast in October.
Link?
Old 3 May 2009, 18:10 (Ref:2454696)   #111
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After deciding not to attend her indoors who shall be obeyed twisted my arm and I ended up going, interesting that after the first corner shunt in the feature race a team India mechanic came down and took the nosecone off the India car and went back to the pits with it I can only assume they are seriously short of spares.......
Old 4 May 2009, 02:52 (Ref:2454905)   #112
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Link?
New to the Bear I take it?

(read some past stories)
Old 4 May 2009, 03:43 (Ref:2454919)   #113
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
After deciding not to attend her indoors who shall be obeyed twisted my arm and I ended up going, interesting that after the first corner shunt in the feature race a team India mechanic came down and took the nosecone off the India car and went back to the pits with it I can only assume they are seriously short of spares.......
I also saw that USA or someone went out with a black nosecone? The individual teams obviously do not have spare ones, which reminds me of Durban in season one when half the grid were running with black ones, and seems to be the moment from the past when the series in it's greatest danger.

Tony Teixiera was very optimistic that season five will be better when interviewed, but I have long since learn to ignore his "A1GP is growing" statements which he makes every time there is a TV camera pointing at him.
Old 5 May 2009, 15:17 (Ref:2455896)   #114
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
What do people make of this then?

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...oast-news.html
Old 5 May 2009, 16:15 (Ref:2455935)   #115
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
kerrmanningjarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sceptical, if it was such big news, it would be reported in more places (not just a local Aussie news site).
Old 6 May 2009, 01:31 (Ref:2456190)   #116
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrmanningjarv View Post
I'm sceptical, if it was such big news, it would be reported in more places (not just a local Aussie news site).
You have every right to be sceptical, especially considering that the report came from Alan Jones.
As I said elsewhere the whole A1GP organisation seems to have gone into shutdown mode.
The VNRs we usually get and run on our news segments on our local TV show here failed to appear last weekend, the website hasn't been updated for ages and emails to the PR & Media department have not been responded to.
On the Gold Coast front Tony Cohrane has said from day one that they were confident that come October the meeting would be the Gold Coast 300 for V8 supercars and the A1 just wouldn't happen.
Hope he's wrong though, the Qld Government has always said that they are only interested in supporting the event if it has a major International series attached and if A1 does fall over the question has to be asked what possible, viable alternatives are there?
Old 6 May 2009, 03:40 (Ref:2456216)   #117
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Worrying that the VNR's have not arrived, but not sure what you mean when you state the website has not been updated. It was over the Brands weekend and not sure what else they could update it with since Surfers is so far the only confirmed future round?

It's in Tony Cochrane's interest to become the sole headline event at Surfers...

There is also the report above from 'the Murphy', whatever that is (can someone please explain?). It wouldn't be the first time that A1GP has survived from a 'near-death' experience with funding magically appearing at the last minute.

A1GP's PR dept. are always crap, nothing new there!

Does anyone know if any cars were impounded after brands, which was speculated last week?
Old 6 May 2009, 13:18 (Ref:2456474)   #118
Tyrrell
Rookie

Tyrrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is mischief going on here....I got the Brands VNR's and the website was constantly updated throughout the Brands Hatch race weekend and after. FACT
Old 6 May 2009, 14:53 (Ref:2456534)   #119
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrrell View Post
There is mischief going on here....I got the Brands VNR's and the website was constantly updated throughout the Brands Hatch race weekend and after. FACT
Where did you get the VNR's? they're certainly not up on thenewsmarket.com. I got press releases from the A1 and the teams but the media section of the website only has releases up until March 02, nothing from the weekend at all and certainly no VNR links or satellite details that I can find.
I did just check the public pages and they were updated.
Old 6 May 2009, 17:21 (Ref:2456631)   #120
Tyrrell
Rookie

Tyrrell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From a1gp.com Send me a pm with your e-mail and I will forward them to you
Old 7 May 2009, 07:25 (Ref:2456983)   #121
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Mighty fine piece of blogging if you ask me. I will comment on Mexico and season five in the appropriate threads.

http://www.britsonpole.com/a1gp-on-a...aster-post8908
Old 7 May 2009, 15:23 (Ref:2457302)   #122
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
Yes, I read it yesterday and was highly impressed.
Old 7 May 2009, 19:59 (Ref:2457488)   #123
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like A1 and I hope it makes it. Part of the problem is this economic depression we hit and everyone in motorsports is feeling the pinch. Probably if that had not happened it would be smoother sailing.
Old 11 May 2009, 09:19 (Ref:2459900)   #124
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Colin Giltrap has been reported here as saying unless they can find 2 major sponsors there will be no Team Kiwi next season.
And as it appears he's bailed the cars out several times could be a major loss to the series if the Kiwis dont front.
Old 11 May 2009, 12:20 (Ref:2460058)   #125
kerrmanningjarv
Veteran

England
London
If NZL have a home race in 2009/10, A1GP will surely bail them out as they did with GBR this year.