Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 30 Mar 2008, 22:03 (Ref:2165598)   #26
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm stunned - RIP
Old 30 Mar 2008, 22:05 (Ref:2165601)   #27
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just heard the news, absoultely terrible to lose David Leslie. I'll always remember his days driving for Proton in the BTCC as well as his commentry on FIA GT/LMS/WTCC he provided a calmness and reason in what was often a chaotic commentry box.

R.I.P David Leslie and Richard Lloyd.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 22:08 (Ref:2165602)   #28
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Absolutely knocked sideways by this one.

Having started my love affair with sportscars in the 1980s both David Leslie and Richard Lloyd were both people I respected a huge amount.

My deepest sympathies go out to the families of all.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 22:08 (Ref:2165603)   #29
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've known David for 17 years and I'm absolutely devasted.

He was one of life's gentlemen, would do absolutely anything for marshals and the world will be a much sadder place for his passing.

My very deepest sympathies to his wife and family at this truly awful time.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 22:09 (Ref:2165604)   #30
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just heard the news, devestated, moreso for me than upon hearing Colin McRae's accident, as BTCC was and is my main motorsport love.

Such a great time watching the BTCC this afternoon, followed by this. It seemed at first that David wasn't comfortable with his first few meetings behind the mic, but he naturally flowed as well as Martin Haven and were a great double act.

And Richard too, a vertiable legend in sportscar racing.

My thoughts go out to all those families affected, and I hope the other tragic losses in the accident aren't from the motorsport world too.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 22:13 (Ref:2165608)   #31
Sean Edwards
Racer

United Kingdom
Monaco
Sean Edwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow.... Auful news, no words can describe it

I was only with both of them at Monza two weeks ago, sitting at the bar talking about the Jaguar and then had a few laps in it then next day (great car).

Ca't believe they are gone, RIP.

Old 30 Mar 2008, 22:14 (Ref:2165610)   #32
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gutted, Leslie had always been one of my favourite drivers and later commentators.

Lloyd contributed a huge amount to the sport, I hope his latest Jaguar XKR project is a big success.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 22:16 (Ref:2165613)   #33
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Sad news indeed .....

RLR won at my very first sportscar race , 1986 Brands Hatch with Brilliant Bob & Baldi .

Hey , wasnt David Leslie a Motors TV commentator for LMS !!!
Old 30 Mar 2008, 22:19 (Ref:2165619)   #34
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A sad loss of both driver and marshal..

A perfect gent and will be greatly missed...

Thoughts with the families of those involved...
Old 30 Mar 2008, 22:19 (Ref:2165620)   #35
pit bull
Racer

United Kingdom
In the pit lane, Cheshire
pit bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have had the pleasure of meeting David on many occations, this is very sad news.
Thoughts to Leslie and Richards family and friends.
R.I.P.

Some say he spent it on fags, some say he exchanged it for a traffic light air freshner for his race car. all we know is he's called PIT BULL! :)[/QUOTE]
Old 30 Mar 2008, 22:20 (Ref:2165622)   #36
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dreadful news. I spent a day with David Leslie not so long ago and can vouch for what everyone here has said... a really nice guy that had plenty of time for people. RIP David.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 22:21 (Ref:2165623)   #37
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm gutted. Having spoken to David many times at Silverstone in the last few years, he would never forget a face and talk to you like a friend. Even when we pushed his Ford C100 back into the pitlane and he called us Lazy B*stards for not pushing him quick enough.

I also remember Richard racing his Morgan against Keith Ahlers in the 750 mc. Amazing racing.

The Parc Ferme in the sky has recieved two more competitors.

RIP Gents.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 22:23 (Ref:2165628)   #38
Yimkin
Racer

Yimkin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is so awful - i just heard on ITV

I have known david since I was a child, and he drove our car for us at goodwood in 06 - I saw him and his wife at goodwood just a few weeks ago, and had a great chat as usual. One of life's genuine good guys, I can't believe he has gone.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 22:25 (Ref:2165630)   #39
MikeHart
Rookie

United Kingdom
Birmingham
MikeHart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So sad to hear of more Motorsport people killed in a private aircraft crash. All my thoughts with their families and friends. May they both be remembered for their successes and contributions.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 22:27 (Ref:2165632)   #40
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a real bummer as I had recently done a lot of research into Richard Lloyd (thanks in part to DSC's great interview with him a few months ago).

I wrote an article on Lloyd himself on Wikipedia, as well as a full article on Richard Lloyd Racing which was recently recognized as a "Good Article" by Wikipedia. I even had a chance to photograph Lloyd's 924 Carrera GTR at the 24 Hours of Daytona this year.

So its a real shame to suddenly have this happen, not only for Lloyd though, but Leslie as well. My sympathies.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 22:51 (Ref:2165648)   #41
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Awful news once again. I had the pleasure of meeting David at Silverstone LMES last year when he happened to be standing behind me in the Copse spectator area. An utterly charming man, fabulous race driver and an always entertaining and knowledgeable commentator. The coming season will not be the same without him.

Richard I knew only by reputation and from watching his cars back in the Group C days.

Many sympathies to the family and friends of both, a tragic loss to the motorsport world.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 22:55 (Ref:2165649)   #42
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Terrible. Rest in peace guys.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 23:02 (Ref:2165653)   #43
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nooooooooooooooooooooo

David really was a thoroughly great guy. I'll never forget the very first time i went to Oulton as a marshal and attended the training day when he turned up to have a chat with us. He'd driven about 6hrs iirc and seemed as pleased to see us as we were to see him. He was always championing the marshals cause and almost every time he commentated he'd mention the guys 'n' gals in orange. The world of motorsport is a very empty place without him and Eurosport won't be the same again
Old 30 Mar 2008, 23:10 (Ref:2165659)   #44
Gonfra
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

United Nations
International Man of Mystery
Gonfra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Utterly gobsmacked!!!
Having heard about this crash at Brands earlier today I did pass comment as we were leaving the circuit and wished that no one from the meeting was involved!
Having met David on several occasions I can only endorse what previous posters have said. We have lost a true gentleman in David Leslie. My thoughts go out to the families of all those involved in this tragic accident.
David, may you rest in peace
Old 30 Mar 2008, 23:20 (Ref:2165667)   #45
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I'm shocked.

I have just been to Brands Hatch, on the way back we stopped at the Oxford services where on the big screens there was a news report of a plane crashed in Kent, I thought that were strange as we were just in Kent for the BTCC, though at the time there was no mention of the people involved. To cap off a bad day on the way back there was a multi car collision on the M40 ahead of us where by the looks of the cars involved there could have been losses there too.

A bad day indeed.

RIP David.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 23:42 (Ref:2165677)   #46
Kyle Tilley
Rookie

Kyle Tilley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rip
Old 30 Mar 2008, 23:59 (Ref:2165692)   #47
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad, sad news...
Old 31 Mar 2008, 00:08 (Ref:2165699)   #48
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
So sad,and so many;RIP.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 04:04 (Ref:2165784)   #49
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What terrible news. I had the pleasure of marshalling with David at Thruxton. He was excellent company and totally unpretentious (which surprised me a lot considering his past racing achievements). The look on his face as 4 FPAs thumped into the barrier under his toes will live with me forever! A sad loss. RIP.

My thoughts go out to the families of all those involved.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 04:46 (Ref:2165794)   #50
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP David Leslie.

I just heard on sky news David Leslie was among the passengers killed in the air crash in farnborough yesterday.Shocked.........