Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 24 Feb 2018, 22:49 (Ref:3803706)   #1826
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
I recall perfectly that in late '90 bmw motorsport was directly involved in FIA GT and le mans with.... a pair of mclaren f1
What's strange about BMW Motorsport being involved in a BMW powered car that they provide the engines for? Nearly every McLaren that raced in period had BMW branding on it somewhere, from 1996-1998 always the "powered by BMW logo" on every car, and in 1995 a mix of it on the DPR cars, "BMW V12" on the back of the Ueno Clinic car, and a local BMW dealership on the Gulf cars.

Every McLaren built had BMW logos on the cylinder heads from the start.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 02:42 (Ref:3803725)   #1827
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
From August last year (http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/im...oming-weeks/):

Quote:
“There’s a specific process within IMSA to address any reliability issues, based on a demonstrated need and applied for to the IMSA Technical Committee on the DPis. Otherwise, it’s straight through the FIA and ACO."

Under the defined process outlined in the regulations, DPi manufacturers are allowed to roll out with aero and engine-related updates on an unlimited basis, but subject to re-certification through dyno and/or wind tunnel testing, which is aimed to maintain the car’s performance.
Now the question is: Is an engine supplier swap a legitimate measure to solve a reliability issue? In this case I would say yes. I'm sure Mazda and Joest (like the other manufacturers) are in a constant dialogue with IMSA.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 12:49 (Ref:3803790)   #1828
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
From August last year (http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/im...oming-weeks/):

Now the question is: Is an engine supplier swap a legitimate measure to solve a reliability issue? In this case I would say yes. I'm sure Mazda and Joest (like the other manufacturers) are in a constant dialogue with IMSA.
That's assuming they're not just dealing with the proverbial "10 cent piece" issue that has made many a competent race team look like amateurs before and will continue to do so in the future.

Though in this case I suspect the "ten cent" pieces are more in the thousands of dollars range, but we've no idea what kind of little things that were missed during the redevelopment that could be causing the continued problems.

Like I said at Daytona, when it worked they showed they've got the performance side solved, so when it comes to fixing the reliability who knows what could happen. One thing I'm sure of is that the causes are probably NOT the same ones as last year.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 13:28 (Ref:3803797)   #1829
RedSquirrel
Racer

Ireland
RedSquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do we have any idea of how much the prototype teams spend per year? I imagine the order goes Penske, AXR, ESM, WTR, Mazda, SOD, then the LMP2s. Are we talking $8-10 million for the top teams?
Old 25 Feb 2018, 13:40 (Ref:3803801)   #1830
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
What's strange about BMW Motorsport being involved in a BMW powered car that they provide the engines for? Nearly every McLaren that raced in period had BMW branding on it somewhere, from 1996-1998 always the "powered by BMW logo" on every car, and in 1995 a mix of it on the DPR cars, "BMW V12" on the back of the Ueno Clinic car, and a local BMW dealership on the Gulf cars.

Every McLaren built had BMW logos on the cylinder heads from the start.
It was wierd because bmw supplied only the engine for that car..... basically it was just like if in mid-2000 ford fielded a work team using a pair of saleen s7r or a GM work team with a pair of mosler MT900....

Another thing to consider is that during winter the mazda riley chassis went trought an intensive rear subframes/structure rework to improve cooling and to give to the car a new rear suspensions system. Don't know if gibson engine and all the related hardware could be fitted in that modifed chassis.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 13:44 (Ref:3803803)   #1831
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
It was wierd because bmw supplied only the engine for that car..... basically it was just like if in mid-2000 ford fielded a work team using a pair of saleen s7r or a GM work team with a pair of mosler MT900....
True, but then again, stuff like the Saleen and the Mosler used engines that were almost completely off-the-shelf and could be slid into other cars with minimal modifications. The V12 in the McLaren was designed and made by BMW specifically for the McLaren and nothing else (shared only minor elements with another BMW V12 engine), so the level of technical partnership was far more significant.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 13:47 (Ref:3803804)   #1832
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSquirrel View Post
Do we have any idea of how much the prototype teams spend per year? I imagine the order goes Penske, AXR, ESM, WTR, Mazda, SOD, then the LMP2s. Are we talking $8-10 million for the top teams?
Some time ago I've read in this topic (or 2017 topic) that a IMSA WT gt3 program was in the range of 3-5 mln $ a car;
can't remember about prototypes, guess it's about how much competitive a team aims to be.... to make an example AXR 2 cars effort and full pro line-up should cost x2-x3 than a yellow banana boat single car pro-am line up.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 14:57 (Ref:3803817)   #1833
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Another thing to consider is that during winter the mazda riley chassis went trought an intensive rear subframes/structure rework to improve cooling and to give to the car a new rear suspensions system. Don't know if gibson engine and all the related hardware could be fitted in that modifed chassis.
It should, because those new parts (bellhousing and suspension) are basic parts of the P2 car, in this case the Riley.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 17:48 (Ref:3804359)   #1834
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
When do you all think we'll see a complete schedule for Sebring? I've seen some basic TBD schedules, but nothing showing all of the session times. Getting antsy!
Old 27 Feb 2018, 17:54 (Ref:3804363)   #1835
btracing82
Rookie

btracing82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just checked it this morning and its been updated still says preliminary buts its all up there

https://sebringraceway.com/sebring-e...dule-of-events
Old 27 Feb 2018, 18:49 (Ref:3804378)   #1836
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Marshall and Graham set a world record I think for the longest related sportscar podcast. Last week's was over 3 hours. Great listen. They go into costs of running in IMSA series. Throwing around a lot of ideas including even removing a NAEC race from the GTD schedule. Also I don't think they like the NAEC points paying format as it is right now, and not very optimistic about a Ford DPI.

https://marshallpruett.podbean.com/e...raham-goodwin/
Old 27 Feb 2018, 19:17 (Ref:3804382)   #1837
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Ford DPI rumours, literally, started with this article.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/fo...nterest-grows/

Headline: Ford keeping an eye on DPi
Quote: "right now there’s not a plan to get into it.", "Right now the DPi, for us, is not relevant, and there’s nothing we would want to leverage it for. "

It is clickbait nonsense. Identical to the Ferrari LMP1 rumours that were reported as a scoop.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 06:29 (Ref:3804462)   #1838
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
The Ford DPI rumours, literally, started with this article.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/fo...nterest-grows/

Headline: Ford keeping an eye on DPi
Quote: "right now there’s not a plan to get into it.", "Right now the DPi, for us, is not relevant, and there’s nothing we would want to leverage it for. "

It is clickbait nonsense. Identical to the Ferrari LMP1 rumours that were reported as a scoop.
Certain sites like to do this. The mainstream news is the same way. Unnamed 'sources' that are basically made up and only quoted because it generates buzz. I would like to see if there is actual dpi programs on the way. I'm not so sure.
Old 28 Feb 2018, 15:33 (Ref:3804599)   #1839
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
When do you all think we'll see a complete schedule for Sebring? I've seen some basic TBD schedules, but nothing showing all of the session times. Getting antsy!
If you go to ima.com-> bottom of page "competitors" you'll quickly find this: https://competitors.imsa.com/sites/d...g_022718_0.pdf

The 'Event info' on the left side of the menu on top of the page will give you more as well (Long Beach schedule is on there already).
Old 3 Mar 2018, 18:18 (Ref:3805495)   #1840
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/im...fueling-times/

Times are a changing. On the one hand this takes the headache out of BoPing different fueling times. On the other hand this takes it's heading further down the road of spec'ing out.
Old 3 Mar 2018, 21:26 (Ref:3805519)   #1841
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I always hated the bop of fuel flow that made, for instance, the corvettes fill up faster than others while we were fed some bs about how great the corvette pit crew were to get it out ahead of where it came in, when it was actually because of fuel flow rates.

But, could this allow a team to short fill every stop to never do a full timed stop amd commit to an extra stop? Like if a prototype team ran 18 laps between stops rather than 22, could they bypass the timed full fill limit and try and gain time? I would guess this would better in a sprint race where it is close between 2 or 3 stops or a street race where you expect yellows and track position is paramount? Would this still allow for strategy?

Really though, separate refueling and tire changing to allow for pit crews to matter. Then you know every car is refueling for a set amount of time, fine, but performance of the team in pit stops matter again. And how do they not apply the rule to late race splashes? Would be nonsensical to apply it there, but seems like a team could claim they're doing a splash and go with the equivalent of 18 laps left on a 22 lap window, for example.
Old 4 Mar 2018, 00:07 (Ref:3805585)   #1842
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
It'll be a set time from an empty tank. It will be checked during technical inspection prior to the race weekend.
Old 4 Mar 2018, 06:09 (Ref:3805627)   #1843
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I always hated the bop of fuel flow that made, for instance, the corvettes fill up faster than others while we were fed some bs about how great the corvette pit crew were to get it out ahead of where it came in, when it was actually because of fuel flow rates.
I thought it was put into place to equalize fill times on different sized tanks, so that tank size didn't allow teams to get faster pit stops because they filled faster.
Old 4 Mar 2018, 08:45 (Ref:3805650)   #1844
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
https://competitors.imsa.com/sites/d...ling_times.pdf

It doesn't say if it applies to short fill stops. Who knows. We're getting into Blancpain territory here where it forces everyone to run identical strategies and ruins the fun of an endurance race.
Old 4 Mar 2018, 09:04 (Ref:3805655)   #1845
btracing82
Rookie

btracing82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Sebring released a press release on there website saying 43 cars so it looks like its going to be the field we all expected the only entry list fun and surprises we might have will be the support classes and as for the the refueling rules we are getting into nascar territory and its way to open to judgement then I would like and even if it was a strict rule would hate it just as much I could live with it in Pro-Am but GTLM and Prototype nope takes all the strategy out of it
Old 4 Mar 2018, 15:03 (Ref:3805716)   #1846
Coach Ep
Veteran

Is the . button on your keyboard broken?
Old 4 Mar 2018, 17:33 (Ref:3805748)   #1847
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Man, the frustration Land Audi felt for the "penalty" and now this....
Old 4 Mar 2018, 19:04 (Ref:3805758)   #1848
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
I am ok with GTD having the minimum time, but putting it in DPI and GTLM is stupid.
Old 5 Mar 2018, 05:18 (Ref:3805831)   #1849
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
https://competitors.imsa.com/sites/d...ling_times.pdf

It doesn't say if it applies to short fill stops. Who knows. We're getting into Blancpain territory here where it forces everyone to run identical strategies and ruins the fun of an endurance race.
As I stated before, it's something that will be checked at the beginning of the weekend during tech. It'll be a total fill from empty and it'll be timed. Once they've passed that they're legal and can do whatever they want in terms of strategy.
Old 5 Mar 2018, 11:02 (Ref:3805876)   #1850
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
As I stated before, it's something that will be checked at the beginning of the weekend during tech. It'll be a total fill from empty and it'll be timed. Once they've passed that they're legal and can do whatever they want in terms of strategy.
I'm amazed at how many people are confused by this matter. Even without your clarification, the releases I've seen all quite explicitly state it the time to fill an EMPTY fuel tank. That alone should make it clear they're not going to make a car sit for 40 seconds when it just needs a quick splash, but I've had to point this out to no less than ten people across various sites. What's your count at on this?