Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Jun 2017, 12:29 (Ref:3742184)   #126
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lets throw a fantasy out there...

Mr Ricciardo in a McLaren Mercedes with Mr Alonso as his teammate.

Now THAT would be amazing to see!!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 16 Jun 2017, 12:37 (Ref:3742185)   #127
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
About Alonso: if I were mclaren, I'd be making arrangements to keep Alonso with me. I heard somewhere he makes around 30 million a year right now. If a top seat opened up, I'm sure he's gone no matter what McLaren does or offers. But since there aren't likely to be top seats available to him for next season, here's what I would do.

Run a full season IndyCar as a McLaren entry for Alonso. Sign a retread type driver for his f1 car that is happy to have a ride, with an out clause that Alonso can take it over at any point. Think someone like jolyon Palmer, or maybe a rookie like sirotkin. Tell Alonso he can have his f1 ride back as soon as it shows that it can compete. Let him maybe make a run at an IndyCar championship while staying with McLaren.

The thing is, we've heard Alonso compliment the car quite a bit. That shows that he's with a top team that has a handle on the regulations, just that they're stuck with an impossible engine. So he'll be taking one step forward, one step backward going to another team that may have a competitive engine but maybe not as good of chassis. So unless a ride at Ferrari or Mercedes opened up, there's really nothing there for him. I guess red bull, but they have a driver pipeline and seem to prefer younger, cheaper drivers.

Plus, we've seen alonso's luck. As soon as he jumps to another team, Honda will find the pace and reliability, and begin competing for championships. Stock with them if they're willing to run him in IndyCar.
Old 16 Jun 2017, 13:37 (Ref:3742211)   #128
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe Mr Alonso and McLaren are in alignment to get shot of Honda...

Being nice hasn't worked. McLaren has been nice for 2 1/2 years now.

There are a LOT of news stories around regarding direct quotes from Mr Boullier, Mr Brown & Mr Alonso... it cannot be a coincidence...
Old 16 Jun 2017, 15:07 (Ref:3742233)   #129
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I'd love to see Alonso go to the post race media area with his Honda emblem on his suit or shirt taped over until they start improving. Start making it blatant.
Old 17 Jun 2017, 10:12 (Ref:3742494)   #130
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Kubica Has No Limitations

It sounds good...
Old 17 Jun 2017, 11:15 (Ref:3742504)   #131
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Something that he really wanted to do. And judging by the look on his face in the photo below, something that meant a whole lot to him. Bravo Renault. Bravo Kubica.
Confirmed!

Robert Kubica: "One day in the Formula 1 car and a chance to feel what I loved, what I still love and what is my passion, gave me a lot more and I would never exchange it for anything."

This will not be the last we have heard of Kubica and F1. Watch this space.
Old 17 Jun 2017, 11:19 (Ref:3742505)   #132
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It all depends if they are prepared to take a chance on someone who hasn't raced a single seater since 2010, he needs to make sure he's properly fit to handle these new cars. I just wish him well whatever he does
Old 18 Jun 2017, 10:01 (Ref:3744400)   #133
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It all depends if they are prepared to take a chance on someone who hasn't raced a single seater since 2010, he needs to make sure he's properly fit to handle these new cars. I just wish him well whatever he does
Whatever he does, provided he prepares himself for it over summer, how could he do worse than Palmer in the second half of the season?
Old 18 Jun 2017, 15:13 (Ref:3744833)   #134
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Whatever he does, provided he prepares himself for it over summer, how could he do worse than Palmer in the second half of the season?
Well the only way he would no for sure is if he has go in a current car beforehand. Although I think we'll see if Palmer improves over the next few races before summer break
Old 18 Jun 2017, 17:41 (Ref:3744911)   #135
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Does Palmer bring any cash with him? Know manufacturers don't usually go for pay drivers but if that's part of their budget plan it could be tough
Old 18 Jun 2017, 19:48 (Ref:3744951)   #136
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Reputedly 15 million
Old 19 Jun 2017, 11:01 (Ref:3745162)   #137
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Jolyon, he has his Dad negotiating deals with Renault for Motorsport Vision. You can see there's Clio's at Bedford Autodrome etc - that's the type of deal Jolyon brings.

In terms of real driving talent / raw speed, Jolyon and Lance Stroll, perhaps with Ericsson have to be the weakest drivers in the field by a margin.

To be honest, it says a lot about Renault's approach, that Jolyon has a 'works' seat.

For Renault to wriggle out of his deal this season, would surely cause ramifications for the company with the MSV arrangement. So, perhaps you could imagine if they were to ditch Jolyon for Robert, it would have to be at seasons-end, when the termination clauses are nowhere near as steep.

Plus, that MSV platform, for Renault longer term, probably isn't worth losing. Sacking the son of the owner of that platform isn't a good strategic move.

Jolyon is clearly a nice guy - smart, a good talker - just not in any way an 'A Grade' driver. Makes a bit of a mockery of GP2 that he's one of their previous champions, to be honest. But, he'll probably cling on to a ride for the rest of 2017.
Old 19 Jun 2017, 11:11 (Ref:3745165)   #138
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could the return of Kubica provide a marketing opportunity of sorts? Could Palmer just be demoted to being a 3rd driver? Does it have to be absolute (or does it matter if it isn't?)

If Renault want to be taken seriously then having just one driver capable of a points finish (and therefore hypothetically capable of a championship challenge) isn't wise...
Old 19 Jun 2017, 11:25 (Ref:3745170)   #139
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I still don't see risk-averse F1 teams fielding Kubica in a race seat. It'd probably be like Wendlinger's comeback if it did happen.
Old 19 Jun 2017, 12:13 (Ref:3745186)   #140
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Williams Honda In 2018??

Old 19 Jun 2017, 13:18 (Ref:3745218)   #141
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sure, let's add that to the Renault disappointment of a few years ago.
Old 19 Jun 2017, 14:16 (Ref:3745224)   #142
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It would be a huge leap of faith by Williams, but it would make them a works team again.
Old 19 Jun 2017, 14:57 (Ref:3745230)   #143
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if true, a good move for Williams imo. perhaps cynical to say but they need or like the money more then they seem to care about results. more out of necessity then anything else but free engines, plus Honda's sponsorship contribution, and possibly money for drivers (if Williams can strike a similar deal to which Mclaren received) keeps the team moving forward.

and if Honda can actually get it sorted, Williams becomes a de facto works team again and one with a budget that may let them actually compete with the big boys. and if it doesnt work they still get the money which im sure they will use sensibly to reinvest into their faculties/diversify/build for the future etc.
Old 19 Jun 2017, 15:29 (Ref:3745238)   #144
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
If they want to get back to championship contention customer Mercs are a dead-end; it's a works plant you'll need. It's a big gamble though. But reading through F1 team history, that's what teams often do.
Old 19 Jun 2017, 15:38 (Ref:3745241)   #145
MissClarrpz
Racer

MissClarrpz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...r-2018-920468/

F1 2018 Calendar Confirmed except for 2 races (China and Singapore)
Triple header France/Austria/GB + 5 other double headers
No Le Mans clash but Monaco clashes with Indy 500
Baku to 4th race, Sochi next to Singapore, Hockenheim back to before Hungary and the summer break
No other calendar swaps and same length in time as this year

Not quite confirmed but a draft calendar

Last edited by MissClarrpz; 19 Jun 2017 at 15:44. Reason: Calendar is a draft not confirmed
Old 19 Jun 2017, 15:44 (Ref:3745243)   #146
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
wow they sorted that out super early!
Old 19 Jun 2017, 16:26 (Ref:3745251)   #147
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
what is the point of going out to Singapore, to come back to Russia to then go back out east again to Japan.

Surely if Singapore goes ahead, then it would have made more sense to double that one up with Japan, so it would be Italy to Russia and then a Singapore-Japan. double.
Old 19 Jun 2017, 16:50 (Ref:3745256)   #148
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
what is the point of going out to Singapore, to come back to Russia to then go back out east again to Japan.

Surely if Singapore goes ahead, then it would have made more sense to double that one up with Japan, so it would be Italy to Russia and then a Singapore-Japan. double.
International sporting events often screw up the calendar. Local factors, like bad weather associated with the seasons muck things up as well.

A Monaco clash with Indy is virtually unavoidable.
Old 19 Jun 2017, 16:56 (Ref:3745261)   #149
S griffin
Veteran

Too many races, should really be capped at 19
Old 19 Jun 2017, 17:58 (Ref:3745281)   #150
RWill2073
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
It's setting up quite nicely: Alonso will toil away in a Renault or a McLaren with customer engines, doing good to make one or two podiums, while the Honda engine comes good next year or the year after and lance f****ng stroll walks to a title.