Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 26 Jul 2013, 20:54 (Ref:3281976)   #1
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nauseating PR

Go on.... try and read this http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-med...t-daytona.html all the way through without losing your lunch.
Old 26 Jul 2013, 21:44 (Ref:3282001)   #2
The Original Instag8or
Racer

United States
Veneta, Oregon, USA
The Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I made it to the "girl next door" and tossed the salad I had for lunch.

... and that was in the opening line.
Old 27 Jul 2013, 00:21 (Ref:3282054)   #3
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!

LOL, rookie? Er, she's been driving NASCAR since 2010. Wow, they will be calling her a rookie and "rising star" 5 years from now. What a pathetic piece of PR tripe...

Why people feel the need to judge her career so harshly is simply a knee-jerk reaction to the "other side" saying how great and up-and-coming she is. I can understand completely - in 2011. But it's getting to the middle of the 2013 season and has she won a race? No. Top fives? No. Top tens? Just 1...

...not exactly a stellar resume, and no one is going to pull the wool over my eyes: they follow her career closely because she is a girl.
Old 27 Jul 2013, 00:31 (Ref:3282058)   #4
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"You see, for many years now, Indy has been Patrick's town."

Oh really? Remind me again how many victories she has at Indy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post

LOL, rookie? Er, she's been driving NASCAR since 2010. Wow, they will be calling her a rookie and "rising star" 5 years from now. What a pathetic piece of PR tripe...
She is a rookie in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. Did you forget that NASCAR has three series?
Old 27 Jul 2013, 00:52 (Ref:3282067)   #5
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Well most people ignore people who don't deliver; they are usually forgotten and leave the sport without much notice. She was parachuted in as this glamour girl but the cost of that is, if the glamour doesn't square with the performance eventually you will be singled out to be hammered by the fans. I don't see that as a double standard as the article I think suggests.

Johanna Long is the girl next door. Patrick must certainly is not that.
Old 27 Jul 2013, 00:53 (Ref:3282068)   #6
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
She is a rookie in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. Did you forget that NASCAR has three series?

Oh, please. That is just the classic coverup for her poor driving. That's like calling Brendan Gaughan a "rookie" when he did Nationwide full time a few years ago because he had never raced Nationwide. A Nationwide car is basically a Cup car with a little less horsepower.
Old 27 Jul 2013, 04:56 (Ref:3282126)   #7
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post

Oh, please. That is just the classic coverup for her poor driving. That's like calling Brendan Gaughan a "rookie" when he did Nationwide full time a few years ago because he had never raced Nationwide. A Nationwide car is basically a Cup car with a little less horsepower.

That is like saying an NHL rookie is not a "rookie" because he played in the AHL or OHL (lower leagues). It's her first full season in Sprint Cup, therefore, she is a rookie. You don't like her, I understand, I don't like how people praise her either, but that doesn't take away from the fact that she is a rookie.
Old 27 Jul 2013, 07:17 (Ref:3282163)   #8
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post

That is like saying an NHL rookie is not a "rookie" because he played in the AHL or OHL (lower leagues). It's her first full season in Sprint Cup, therefore, she is a rookie. You don't like her, I understand, I don't like how people praise her either, but that doesn't take away from the fact that she is a rookie.
Salamus -

First of all, sorry that I attacked you in my last post; it was unnecessary. All I'm saying is that I think she is overrated and that "rookie" badge she seems to always wear I merely think is an excuse to get her out of a bind when people truly question her driving skills.

Nevertheless, it's still total PR nonsense. I would be willing to place 20 bucks she won't finish higher than 20th.
Old 27 Jul 2013, 08:51 (Ref:3282192)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is a nice Danica bashing thread. Ms Patrick neither wrote nor endorsed the words used here, so its difficult to understand why the hatred extends to the pilot, when in reality the problem here is some inadequately researched facts pieced together to make the story a 'little girl made good'

As a question of semantics, technically Ms Patrick is a rookie in the series she participates in, and is eligible for the Sprint Cup Series rookie of the year award, so in this case, the fact isnt wrong, it just doesnt present a full view of what has gone on.

In the end, sadly, haters gonna hate
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 Jul 2013, 09:57 (Ref:3282205)   #10
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
In the end, sadly, haters gonna hate
Remember, she isn't a racing driver.
Old 27 Jul 2013, 14:54 (Ref:3282303)   #11
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Without reading the article (I made it to "Danica"), and only reading the responses here, I don't hate Danica, I just hate the juggernaut of publicity she is for being an average racing driver with a "gimmick". Yes, first time to the speedway as a stockcar driver for her but there is no chance for DW to say something like "she's not used to this speedway" as he did for 500 winner JPM in his NASCAR Brickyard debut. Everyone knows who Danica is, but they were not really sure who this John Paul Montana cat was in his debut season. THAT is the sad part of situation IMHO, but I don't think I would necessarily fault the Princess for it.
Old 27 Jul 2013, 20:01 (Ref:3282456)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Who's the most hypocritical?

The hypocrite or the hypocrite who complains about the hypocrite?

It warms the heart. We can all come here and join in an mutual annoyance at an article about Danica. To demonstrate that we can write equally worthless words on the subject, but somehow feel superior because we are cynical and derogatory about the topic. We think it is worthless, but make the (small) effort to point out it is rubbish. Hurrah for us.
Old 27 Jul 2013, 21:18 (Ref:3282503)   #13
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
The hypocrite or the hypocrite who complains about the hypocrite?

It warms the heart. We can all come here and join in an mutual annoyance at an article about Danica. To demonstrate that we can write equally worthless words on the subject, but somehow feel superior because we are cynical and derogatory about the topic. We think it is worthless, but make the (small) effort to point out it is rubbish. Hurrah for us.
Bravo! Shakespeare could not have said that any better!
Old 28 Jul 2013, 00:31 (Ref:3282569)   #14
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
She was rude to her crew at Indy a few years ago. Her face is a mascot of a campaign of torturous commercials. The pundits hose her down with treacle. She crashes alot. That's going to draw people's attention to her in a bad way. Right or wrong, you guys decide that but she's inevitably going to attract lots of negative attention.

It's great for people who don't watch NASCAR to swagger in here and give high sermons on giving respek to Danica but we actually have to watch the blasted sport.

In fairness, maybe it's me getting more efficient with the mute button but I do think the Danicamania has kind of abated and the media has largely run out of steam bar the occasional syrup bomb as deligently highlighted by Clive. I do try to give objective commentary on Danica but, my, oh, my it's a hard slog sometimes.
Old 28 Jul 2013, 05:13 (Ref:3282666)   #15
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
She was rude to her crew at Indy a few years ago. Her face is a mascot of a campaign of torturous commercials. The pundits hose her down with treacle. She crashes alot. That's going to draw people's attention to her in a bad way. Right or wrong, you guys decide that but she's inevitably going to attract lots of negative attention.

It's great for people who don't watch NASCAR to swagger in here and give high sermons on giving respek to Danica but we actually have to watch the blasted sport.

In fairness, maybe it's me getting more efficient with the mute button but I do think the Danicamania has kind of abated and the media has largely run out of steam bar the occasional syrup bomb as deligently highlighted by Clive. I do try to give objective commentary on Danica but, my, oh, my it's a hard slog sometimes.

+1
Old 28 Jul 2013, 07:03 (Ref:3282684)   #16
The Original Instag8or
Racer

United States
Veneta, Oregon, USA
The Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too bad the media types don't ever check popular opinion of message boards.

Oh, that is right, they do that from time to time.

My hope is that one day the media will get it.
Old 28 Jul 2013, 07:45 (Ref:3282702)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Instag8or View Post
Too bad the media types don't ever check popular opinion of message boards.

Oh, that is right, they do that from time to time.

My hope is that one day the media will get it.
Not likely. They'd probably cite this as a success.
Old 28 Jul 2013, 09:56 (Ref:3282757)   #18
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
NA$CAR Superstar Danica Patrick keeps racking up Top 40 finishes, by 2020 she should contend for fuel mileage victories.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 05:16 (Ref:3283144)   #19
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
I think why there are so many Danica-bashing threads is because fans want to relieve their pent up frustration against the "pro-Danica pundits" who glamorizes her and cover up her every weakness (which is one hell of a lot of cover-up). I think it's just therapy...
Old 31 Jul 2013, 21:07 (Ref:3284384)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Two wrongs...

Anyway, watched the highlights from Indy, at no point did a mention of Danica wind me up. Just another driver.
Old 1 Aug 2013, 11:10 (Ref:3284609)   #21
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Two wrongs...

Anyway, watched the highlights from Indy, at no point did a mention of Danica wind me up. Just another driver.
The thread is about PR and the treacle in that article, not the commentary. The pre-race ESPN hype featured Danica being interviewed by Nicole Briscoe and the commercials feature her too. I tune out both.

There's no two wrongs here at all. Fans have their favourites and their villains and Danica is a villain to many due to the syrupy attention she gets. That's not wrong, that's understandable; that's just fans following a sport.